it's time to discuss cynthia

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Fnord
Discordian Wiggler

Post by Fnord » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 pm

digital_steve wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
digital_steve wrote: I'm Steve Galloway; there... All my Internet powers are now gone.
I have the same name as about a dozen famous people, what does this do for my internet powers? There's also a fucking ganja rock band with my childhood nickname. This makes me sad to no end. No one in that band has my name, it's MY FUCKING NAME.

I digress.

I hope everyone gets what's coming to them in a timely manner and we can get back to making beepy noises. I like beepy noises.
bsmith: it would be awesome to see people with lots of euro give them pokemon values and do battle

Muffwiggler: I've seen communities ruined over politics. I've seen friendships end over racism. I've never seen these things happen as a result of breasts.

Fnord
Discordian Wiggler

Post by Fnord » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Well shit, if that wasn't the worst placed time for me to hit post. That's great news.
bsmith: it would be awesome to see people with lots of euro give them pokemon values and do battle

Muffwiggler: I've seen communities ruined over politics. I've seen friendships end over racism. I've never seen these things happen as a result of breasts.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 am

digital_steve wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
digital_steve wrote:I'm confused...
Is the issue to do with privacy or the fact that a real name attributed to a forum member makes it more difficult to hide behind a forum handle whilst posting utter wank?
Internet anonymity means you can heap insults and abuse on people you've never met from the comfort and security of your parent's basement.
Only if you have true anonymity. For instance, people know you're the dude that works with intellijel and know your name; does that make it harder to give out a slagging when you feel the need?
Absolutely. In fact, I just now avoided posting about half a dozen replies all over the forum, because my first thought in each case was "if I say what's really on my mind, it might reflect badly on Intellijel." Because, no matter how much I'd love to get into it with some people on this list, the simple fact of the matter is that my friend's livelihood trumps everything else.
I don't get it.
It sounds as if you get it just fine.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

digital_steve
Muppet

Post by digital_steve » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:03 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Now I get it
:tu:
richard wrote:
MrBiggs wrote:serious instrument. What does that even mean?
I think it means you have to frown when you play it.
causticlogic wrote:Yeah, digital_steve spells "fun" with a capital FU...

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:05 am

Cynthia wrote:All the ZOe orders have been fulfilled, all refunds paid, the small claims case was dismissed today...
We've already done the first ZOe retrofit for a customer, and we sold and shipped eighteen new orders this week,
We did all this and shipped much more, reducing last week's Grand Total Order Backlog from (31) down to (14).

Cynthia
Good to hear Cynthia!
The farad is the captain of my print.

http://www.mono-poly.nl
http://www.noodlebar.org

WTB blue lantern purple vco

asdf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by asdf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 pm

FYI, cyndustries seems to be trying to get things back where they should be.

I just received my module today.

don't know where that leaves it all, but the build is really nicely done.

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:43 pm

seriously, if I look at my and other people's posts in this thread, I feel embarassed.
Maybe we should all cool our passion and close this thread.

sincerely
Lukas Köninger
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

hellohihowareyou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hellohihowareyou » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 pm

There are a lot of people being reasonable, trying to find a resolution, and voicing balanced (if negative) opinions. This thread has served to get the situation handled seriously. Some people have posted obnoxious and thoughtless things, but the majority haven't.
If it was closed, people would just start another one anyways, as it should be.

legionhwp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by legionhwp » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:43 am

hellohihowareyou wrote: This thread has served to get the situation handled seriously.
Exactly.

Whatever one's feelings about Cyndustries this thread has laid out facts that there were issues that were not resolved for years. This thread and public posting started, lawsuits were engaged, and issues were resolved.

Some posters on all "sides" acted like idiots. Sometimes discussions got heated. Well folks, that's the Internet and it doesn't discount the positive results this thread produced.

It's up to individual wigglers to decide to buy/trust/boycott/whatever Cyndustries from here. All the facts you need to make your own decision are pretty much laid out in this thread. Serious failures of business were carried out, customers were treated poorly, action was taken for and against, and ultimately refunds were given and modules were shipped.

Would any of that have happened if MW didn't offer a venue for this thread and post the main section sticky? Re-read the substantive posts, Draw your own conclusions, and act accordingly.

I can't think of a more useful reason to have a forum. Well, maybe to share some music but we have that too. thanks Muffs! :nana:
Making the Extraordinary from the Ordinary
Creative Electronic Instruments and Art:
Http://DAEDSound.com

Streaming and Downloadable Organic Electronic Music From the Past 20 Years:

Http://DavidTalento.Bandcamp.com

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:51 am

These behaviors and practices went on for yeeeeeears, and in my opinion are likely to happen again. Do we really know that ALL outstanding debts have been resolved? I'm not really a potential customer, but given Cynthia's history I would NEVER buy Cyndustries new or used. Why even consider her stuff? What does she build that you can't make music without?
Last edited by Soy Sos on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lyonel
button pusher

Post by Lyonel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:00 am

legionhwp wrote:Would any of that have happened if MW didn't offer a venue for this thread and post the main section sticky? Re-read the substantive posts, Draw your own conclusions, and act accordingly.

I can't think of a more useful reason to have a forum. Well, maybe to share some music but we have that too. thanks Muffs! :nana:
:tu:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Good news all around. I've been observing this from the sidelines, because I don't actually buy modules :woah: (I build 'em all). But it's fairly obvious that this entire mess could have been avoided had money never changed hands before product was ready for delivery. This is an important lesson to be learned by both the buyer and the seller in this case. If it takes an additional year or two to work the bugs out of a product (hey, it happens sometimes), this is a lot easier to forgive if the product hasn't already been bought and paid for. If this is the policy going forward, then I can't see any rational reason why someone would hesitate to buy Cyndustries gear (other than out of spite).
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Yeah Doc SnE,
But if Cynthia is the kind of person to carry on this way and behave in this manner over the course of many years, why are we to think she has suddenly changed fully. She at the core of the company is still coming from the same personality and ethics. Forgive maybe, forget no. I have no stake in this, no horse in this race etc, but I trust Intellijel, Pittsburgh, Make Noise on and on to do right every time. You all have earned that through repeated correct business practices. Not Cyndustries.

hellohihowareyou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hellohihowareyou » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Her designs are top-notch and if she sold through a distributor or only took money when the module was ready to ship then I would consider buying from her after this is cleared up. Of course I respect people's right not to her stuff.

A person can't learn a lesson if you completely banish them from the community that wants them to learn the lesson.

Zampano
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zampano » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:06 pm

After reading many negative posts about Cyndustries, I think it's only fair that I mention my experience has been very positive. Granted, I didn't deal with her, or anything modular for that matter, during what sounds like were an upsetting couple years. About a month ago I finally got a power supply and set up a submux deluxe, sawtooth animator and ZO that I'd been sitting on for years. I posted on this forum that I was worried about getting any support given some of what I'd read. Cynthia contacted me, gave me her phone number, and has since talked to me for long blocks of time to work out some of my confusion, which had nothing to do with her products, and everything to do with the fact that I'm new to modular synthesis. I'm used to software, and have alot to learn, which she has taken the time to help me with over the course of two 20-30 minute phone calls in the last month or so.

Also, a looong time ago, 2007 I think, I bought a dotcom format ZO used on ebay. I contacted her and expressed interest in some of her other modules, but mentioned I was a bit worried about interfacing Modcan format with Dotcom format. She told me she would send me a brand new Modcan format ZO if I sent her the USED Dotcom format ZO to make the interfacing less cumbersome for me. The absolute cynic will point out that it's beneficial for me to be in the Modcan format since that's most of what she sells, but the fact is I got a used ZO for a relatively cheap price and she traded me a brand new one in a format that made things more convenient for me.

From what I understand the process of stuffing the ZO into the Buchla format was a task that gave her many more problems than she anticipated (my Modcan format ZO is quite large), which probably accounts for some of the problems with delivery times. I don't know enough to defend her for everything, but when I see that she's been called a "crook", I want to call attention to the fact that at least as far as my experience, she seems like nothing of the sort.

hellohihowareyou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hellohihowareyou » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 pm

rescinded.

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:38 pm

I wanted to add my voice.
When I had some delayed orders with Cynthia, I called and she refunded my money. This was last year. She did it instantly. I don't blame her for the delayed orders, things happen. I Just wanted my cash back to do something else, and she did it.

Also, she provided exertise over the phone to me, and what she HAD in stock was sent out same day, which I received quickly.

I'm sorry others have had historically bad situations, but given her previous post on page 78 of this thread, it sounds like she's rushing to heal the sins of the past.

let it go. let her overcome her mistakes and do right and come back into the community. That's what I'd want you all to do for me if I was *previously* shitty to you, but now got my shit straight and was working to repair my business and ethics.

Spots
SunSpots

theHarlekin
Learning to Wiggle

Cynthia will shi, be patient

Post by theHarlekin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:17 am

Hi,

I'm from Munich and on friday I recived my ZO and SAW---

Works everthing is fine. It did so take more then 30 days, i haven't heard for a cuple of months... I got contacted & everything worked out

Josh

SMS303
Tha BABELFISH Wiggler...

Re: Cynthia will shi, be patient

Post by SMS303 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:41 am

theHarlekin wrote:Hi
Welcome Josh to this marvelous place in the darkest corner of the internet. Great positive first post from you :)

Gladly all or most of the problems are solved and i hope she will continu this for now and in the future 8_)
------------> Jaime Murray does Capua.... ------------------------------------------>

vozs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vozs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Harleking?....mmmmkay!
Churchill's dictum: Science is simply enduring an endless string of failures without losing your enthusiasm.

eboats
Common Wiggler

Re: it's time to discuss cynthia

Post by eboats » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:50 am

Just discovered this old epic thread. Highly recommended read from start to finish if you've got time to spare. And for any writers or filmmakers out there, there's probably an epic story to tell from all this.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”