Buying second hand modules

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

project55
Learning to Wiggle

Buying second hand modules

Post by project55 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi guys,

I've been having a root throug eBay and came across a sem20 filter. I've been looking at this to add along side my z2040 filter, the only trouble is I'm not sure about buying a module second hand.

I've contacted the seller who's told me its in great condition, working proper and has mounting screws and power cable. I've seen pictures and ashteticly it looks in good condtn, except for a little bit of marking where its been mounted.

It's got a buy it now of £130 + £7 for shipping, so a total of £137, meaning its £22 cheaper than a new one.

Is that saving worth while buying a second hand unit?

Thanks

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:24 pm

The rule I use is 80% of new for something that looks real good.

project55
Learning to Wiggle

Post by project55 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:30 pm

BTG wrote:The rule I use is 80% of new for something that looks real good.
That's actually a good rule :tu:

BTByrd
Wiggling with The Experience Machine

Post by BTByrd » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Like BTG said, 80% of the new price is sort of the norm for second-hand modules in good condition. Obviously, if a module is rare or out of production this rule doesn't apply... but if the price looks right and the module's in good condition, go for it! I've bought and sold tons of second-hand modules from fellow wigglers and haven't had any issues. (Of course, you'll need a few more posts before you can use the BST subforum @ Muffs, which requires 100 posts... but you're 1/8th of the way there already!)

causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Actually he could buy from BST. He just can't sell there yet.

Nothing wrong with buying used. About 90% of every bit of gear I've ever purchased was bought used...and I've bought a LOT of gear! :hihi:
If you're patient, you can get almost everything used.
I wouldn't have been able to afford everything I have or have had without buying used.
RealDudes wrote:there's only one window in my padded cell and all I can see is a hallway
looks like there's blood on the floor again
Bumply wrote:I just want to leave work right now and listen to a nice triangle wave.

kimu
My Euro dreams of Electric Sheep

Post by kimu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:55 pm

I bought most of my modules as second or even triple hand and never had a problem.
Never used eBay anyway but mainly the buy / sell section here on muff
http://rsto.bandcamp.com/album/constellation my last album in free streaming and download (post-rock / synths / piano)

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedShiftingTheOcean

http://soundcloud.com/kimuz - eurorack sounds

ezehagar
Scones n' soup

Post by ezehagar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 pm

causticlogic wrote:...and I've bought a LOT of gear! :hihi:
Understatement of the year! :guinness:

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:15 pm

+1 for buying second hand.

i've had no issues other than not getting mounting screws and i buy my own so it doesn't even matter.
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

BTByrd
Wiggling with The Experience Machine

Post by BTByrd » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:41 pm

causticlogic wrote:Actually he could buy from BST. He just can't sell there yet.
I stand corrected!

thispoison
Ultra Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:43 pm

I find I can buy most modules for sale on eBay at the same price or less new, seems some sellers expect to add their fees and postage on top of that 80%!!

I've had no problems with second hand modules though (in fact very few with all second hand gear).

For me, it's just the price that sometimes makes a new purchase more sensible, and knowing one of my G6 racks is a System 1 from the mid nineties always makes me think.....how used is "used". :eek:

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 pm

Yup, most of my modules were bought used. Just make sure there's a power cable, and make sure it's on right! :doh:

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Double :doh:
Last edited by Dcramer on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 am

thispoison wrote:I find I can buy most modules for sale on eBay at the same price or less new, seems some sellers expect to add their fees and postage on top of that 80%!!
How unreasonable! Because if you buy new, shipping and credit card fees are eaten by the shop, right.

The situation in Italy can be bizarre - there's a site called mercatinomusicale (like music equipment boot sale) and prices are seldom discounted more than 10 euro off the Schneiders new price. Plus postage. Sometimes I see these ads and just have to laugh, it's so outrageous (some of these sellers are even on this forum but they don't post their stuff in BST, which tells you something). So I never buy from there.

I generally set my stuff at 80% and (because I'm such a nice guy) include shipping in the EU, but ask the buyer to pay the paypal fee. I have occasionally forgotten to include mounting screws.

I've always been very happy with my purchases, even when they've had a little problem (for instance I got a cyclebox with an internal connector that kept coming apart, so I just soldered the connector wires directly to their pins). Trades are even nicer. And people on this forum are generally so nice and friendly that it's always a pleasure.
nature abhors a vacuum cleaner

project55
Learning to Wiggle

Post by project55 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:09 am

All righty then... I shall look through eBay for some gems, it will take me no time to get this system completed now :tu: :nana:

melodydad
Muffuselah

Post by melodydad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:31 am

I have only ever bought from Wigglers and never had any problem - unless you count the Envelator which arrived in a Noisering box!!

(Thank you Richard :tu: )
. . . we better let him in . . . . . he's got a Theremin . . . (HMHB: 'Look Dad No Tunes')

tojpeters
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tojpeters » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:01 am

I think if the choice was a new module with support/warranty for $100 vs. used as is/ no recourse for $80 i would pay $20 extra for the new. i have no experience with used modular stuff but most used (not vintage) musical gear is 50% of new to start-even that might not attract a buyer.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:33 am

Brand new module.... being the first to feel the touch of it's knobs... to plug the first jack in it..... to see it's LED blink...... the smell of fresh pcb's ... there's a romantic vibe in it.....
or second hand will have just more experience

crystal hell pool
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crystal hell pool » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 am

Most folks in the forum sell stuff for even below 80 percent alot of the time, seems kinda stupid to sell something for just 20 bucks less, when you can get a new one thus supporting a good store/company. Wish I would have gotten on the used bandwagon a long time ago thou, would have saved a buncha money. My only gripe is when people dont send mounting screws

crystal hell pool
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crystal hell pool » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:55 am

@tojpeters - i want a 50 percent cheaper analog four if you see one. Heh

silikon
Common Wiggler

Post by silikon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:41 pm

If all other things are in line (cash on hand, world not on fire) I prefer to buy modules or synths new -- not because I want them new, but because especially in the modular space these folks are scraping by, yet releasing these amazing little devices to the world.

Unfortunately, it's hard to always do that, but I do give effort into that...

I've also bought a LOT of used modules, and find that 99% of the time there is no problems with doing so -- and most often if you have issues or questions, the manufacturers will STILL give you a hand.

:razz:
-----=====+++=====-----
Modulargrid:
DonBee
BobEmm

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm

I don't mind paying near new price is something is hard to find. But I'm not paying near new price for something that's not that expensive to start with and still easy to get. Seems a fair bit gets labelled close to new price, I'd just to pay a little more for new.

Detonacid
Learning to Wiggle

New in the great adventure

Post by Detonacid » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:25 am

Hello everyone,
I 'm new here, because I want to improve my dark energy with a system eurorack . I already have my idea on future modules and am already a lot more about the subject. The concern now is the price of new modules. A friend of my advisor is going to site that is a real source of information ( a real gold mine ) smile . But there is a lot of information. I 'm confused ... Where can I find a place on the forum or perhaps a website or is so full of used modules ???

Thank you all :banana: :nana:

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:38 am

Either buy and sell subforum here, or facebook groups.
Try searching modular synth sales trades etc

moloque
Common Wiggler

Post by moloque » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:15 am

I only buy new when I don't found second hand available! After years of buying stuff I had more problems with new gear (not much either) than used one...

Sasahara
Common Wiggler

Post by Sasahara » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Half of my 18u is second or even third hand, from the BST. I've never had a problem. I don't think you should be too worried.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”