Buying second hand modules

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:23 am

I'd say a third of my system is secondhand. Mostly I just want a module and I want it now so tend to buy new most of the time.
As for selling at 80%, I've never been able to do that, I've been lucky to sell at 60/70, but I suppose it depends on the module.
I ceratainly haven't bought any modules at that resale value, for me, to make it worthwhile buying secondhand it has to be at 70% or even less, and that would have to include postage. The hassle of scouring ads and dealing with sellers just isn't worth it just to save £10/20

Abston
Common Wiggler

Post by Abston » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:58 am

Looking for second hand mutable instruments elements or Make Nosie Maths, if you know where to find, i take ;)

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:52 am

I generally sell at 70% here. On Ebay to compensate for fees I sell at 80-85%

I still watch Ebay though. Occasionally there is a motivated seller.

JKMinWA
1-Post Wiggler

Used Modules and BST Access

Post by JKMinWA » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 pm

BTByrd wrote:
causticlogic wrote:Actually he could buy from BST. He just can't sell there yet.
I stand corrected!
Hello everyone! I just joined, was curious about opinions on buying used modules, decided to check out the listings here at MW, and discovered...I must have 50 posts or more to even look. :eek: One down.

Question I had was about jack wear. I haven't used modules long enough to know how well they age. Any one have problems with failed jacks?

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 pm

they're cheap and replacable on most modules. Some modules have surface mount jacks, those kind of suck. I prefer it when modules are a bunch of pots and controllers mounted to the panel, and the panel mount components connect to the board with something you can plug into a 100-pitch header.

givemeasine
Learning to Wiggle

Post by givemeasine » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Caveat emptor, imo. I've had three out of probably 20 transactions for used modules in which the modules did not work correctly. In which case, the best scenario is some amount of hassling for either a refund or to get your module repaired. If you have the patience and tolerance to pursue that kind of scenario, then go for it.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:50 am

I think 80% is a bit steep, I sell for around 70% and expect to buy for that or less.
Obviously it depends on the module, also, there are a few top sellers, but lots of modules just don't move, or, take ages to sell at reduced prices, modular is definitely not an investment. Certain manufacturers always seem to sell though, Make Noise, Cwejman, ALM, Doepfer.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 am

I generally prefer to buy new whenever possible. Mainly because I'm concerned about things like warranty support. I also want to support the producers and shops that make my hobbies possible, particularly the smaller boutique manufacturers -- the smaller they are, the more likely I am to buy new instead of used.

If I do buy used, it's generally because it's something no longer available new (which describes about half the Metasonix stuff I want at this point, and a few others), or there were changes made and I prefer the older version, or I can pick it up used in verifiable condition at a steep discount (50% or better). On very rare occasions, it's something I can't/don't want to live without, but am boycotting the original producer for whatever reason.

There are exceptions, of course, particularly in cases where the new price is grossly over-inflated compared to the used market price, where depreciation is a huge factor. Automobiles are one of the biggest offenders in this regard. Looking at the used market for modular stuff, it seems to hold its value fairly well for the most part, with some notable exceptions.

When I do buy used, I'm generally not going to bother unless I'm paying less than 70% of the retail cost, including shipping and other fees, unless it's a hard-to-find must-have. It's generally not worth the effort and risk otherwise.

faustusb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by faustusb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:31 pm

I've bought 8-10 used modules over the last couple of years, all of which have come with power cables (most even came with screws). I've bought 3 in the past 2 weeks, none of which have had cables. Not a terrible inconvenience but still, is this normal for others?

As a side note, a PM MIDI-2 module came with a 10-pin to 10-pin cable that isn't keyed correctly for power. There's an output on the module for a sync bus. Is this odd cable for some PM sync bus? There's very little info available for this module.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:30 am

faustusb wrote:I've bought 8-10 used modules over the last couple of years, all of which have come with power cables (most even came with screws). I've bought 3 in the past 2 weeks, none of which have had cables. Not a terrible inconvenience but still, is this normal for others?
No. Power cables should be included.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:17 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
faustusb wrote:I've bought 8-10 used modules over the last couple of years, all of which have come with power cables (most even came with screws). I've bought 3 in the past 2 weeks, none of which have had cables. Not a terrible inconvenience but still, is this normal for others?
No. Power cables should be included.
Absolutely should come with the power cable.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Electric Spring 2020 - THIS SUNDAY FEB 23RD - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=226844

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:57 pm

There are two Facebookgroups for Europe, any more ideas where to trade sell/buy?

ehness
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ehness » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Estes wrote:There are two Facebookgroups for Europe, any more ideas where to trade sell/buy?
Gumtree, eBay, Audiofanzine, the Facebook marketplace and The Mostly-Modular Synthesizer Garage Sale Facebook group are the places I check

Would you care to share the names of those groups?

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:15 pm

ehness wrote:
Estes wrote:There are two Facebookgroups for Europe, any more ideas where to trade sell/buy?
Gumtree, eBay, Audiofanzine, the Facebook marketplace and The Mostly-Modular Synthesizer Garage Sale Facebook group are the places I check

Here's 1 -
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... 20(europe)

and here's the other -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6987423 ... oup_header
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Electric Spring 2020 - THIS SUNDAY FEB 23RD - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=226844

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Another vote for buying second (or third hand). The majority of the community seems to be pretty good about taking care of their stuff. I've only bought new on things that don't come up as often or are relatively new. Worst case emailing the manufacture for help has worked pretty well, too.

I figure if I pay 70-80% and something goes wrong, most of the time, sending a module for repair ends up being that last 20%. Give or take. Only happened twice to me, but so far so good. Just part of the deal.

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:16 pm

about 30% of my rig is second hand... Never had a problem. I agree that with newer tech or hard to find, it's easier to just purchase from Perfect Circuit with the constant 10% discount and free shipping.. No sales tax in NY. I can wait if it takes a week or more.

I'm generally looking for 80% of new or less... otherwise I'm off the PC (unless they don't carry it). Items like Eloquencer and Euclidean (I bought it a year ago) and Transient... I just buy from the manufacturer as soon as I can because I really, really wanted them... no regerts...

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:39 am

ehness wrote:

thank you!

lobra
Common Wiggler

Post by lobra » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:00 am

Reverb is a great tool for modules. Ive gotten alot of great deals / sold plenty on there.

TwiddleLove
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by TwiddleLove » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:27 pm

Dcramer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:04 pm
Double :doh:
"Be the modulation you wish to see in the world" thanx for that inspiring sentence

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by ATW » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm

lobra wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:00 am
Reverb is a great tool for modules. Ive gotten alot of great deals / sold plenty on there.
Cosign. Bought a few things there over the past couple of months from shops and indivudals, and made a couple offers a bit under the asking price that were accepted.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: Buying second hand modules

Post by sduck » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:01 pm

Necrobump alert!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”