Stillson Hammer MKII: Tips, Tricks, and Assists

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:28 pm

eircom wrote:
temaniak wrote: 2. 8v not works on CV. When my cv out in 0-8v mode and slider is full top, voltage drops to 0v. But when quantizer is on, it achieve the C7 note.
Calibration? New Firmware?
Thank you!
Can anybody here please confirm if this behavior is normal? Thanks
This happens on mine too. I just updated from 2.25 to 2.26 and haven't checked it since then... but will check again on Monday.

eircom
Common Wiggler

Post by eircom » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:05 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:This happens on mine too
Thank you! Good to know.

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 pm

temaniak wrote:Hello! I bought used Stillson Hammer mk2. It's awesome sequencer but i see some strange thinngs:
1. Module is blinking. Very subtile blinkingon screen, on buttons, on sliders. It is norm or some troubles with power?
2. 8v not works on CV. When my cv out in 0-8v mode and slider is full top, voltage drops to 0v. But when quantizer is on, it achieve the C7 note.
Calibration? New Firmware?
Thank you!
mine also has the subtle blinking and my 0-8v cv out drops to 0v as well when the slider is all the way up (on v2.26 btw) - i hadn't noticed that before..

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:27 am

temaniak wrote:2. 8v not works on CV. When my cv out in 0-8v mode and slider is full top, voltage drops to 0v. But when quantizer is on, it achieve the C7 note.
I get this issue as well, also didn't notice it before.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 am

Scott Jager: " The blinking on SH LEDs is normal. The unquantized 0v bug is a known issue, unfortunately I have not discovered its fix yet.".

I calm. 8-) it's working fine :-)

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:12 am

Just got my Stillson Hammer an hour ago. Installed it and wanted to check the Firmware which is supposed to be shown at the startup.

But.....the Periode of time the Firmware Number is shown is so fast that I could not figure out the Firmware Number. :hmm:

So i grabbed my iPod and made a Clip of the Display while turning on the Module. I went through the Clip Picture by Picture, but the Numbers were just blurred.

So I had to activate the Slo Motion on the Camera and that worked.

Firmware is 2.26 :party:

I watched a Clip on Youtube and on his Stillson the Firmware was clearly displayed at the startup.

I wonder why this is different on my one. Could this be related to the power Supply of the Rack? :despair: I have a 7U 104HP Intellijel Performance Case.

It's not important but I'm curious and I like to know why things happen in certain ways :hihi:

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:48 am

press INIT + CLOCK to view the firmware version

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 am

jwm wrote:press INIT + CLOCK to view the firmware version
:doh: Thanks :cloud:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:03 pm

Granular wrote:
jwm wrote:press INIT + CLOCK to view the firmware version
:doh: Thanks :cloud:
Make sure to get the cheat sheets.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:26 pm

Where can I get them?

EDIT: Found it 8-)

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:39 am

Hello! Today I found a bug: on the gate page, the sliders continue to  light if the gate is zero. Restart is did not help... I tried to reset via debug mode (I pressed track 4), but this did not help too. Only a complete flashing firmware helped.
Is there any secret full reset mode? And may be some saw this problem too?

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:52 am

Never saw this bug !?!??!!
Init + gate = delete all gates :hmm:

Strange thing :despair:

temaniak wrote:Hello! Today I found a bug: on the gate page, the sliders continue to  light if the gate is zero. Restart is did not help... I tried to reset via debug mode (I pressed track 4), but this did not help too. Only a complete flashing firmware helped.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:57 pm

temaniak wrote:Hello! Today I found a bug: on the gate page, the sliders continue to  light if the gate is zero. Restart is did not help... I tried to reset via debug mode (I pressed track 4), but this did not help too. Only a complete flashing firmware helped.
From experience (having the module nearly since it was initially released and doing a few firmware updates), after a major firmware update it is best to reset the module and blank everything out.
Any legacy sequences saved end up having odd, unexplainable, and unrepeatable bugs that magically disappear after a module reset.

Major firmware update - updating from version 1.x to 2.x

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:40 pm

This is absolutely correct :tu:
mt3 wrote:
From experience (having the module nearly since it was initially released and doing a few firmware updates), after a major firmware update it is best to reset the module and blank everything out.
Any legacy sequences saved end up having odd, unexplainable, and unrepeatable bugs that magically disappear after a module reset.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:55 am

mt3 wrote:

Yep! But I saw this problem (before it was not there, it's like a bug) before the firmware. And the firmware just helped. And turning on / off the module and preset resetting did not help.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:35 am

temaniak wrote:
mt3 wrote:

Yep! But I saw this problem (before it was not there, it's like a bug) before the firmware. And the firmware just helped. And turning on / off the module and preset resetting did not help.
Which firmware are you on?

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:25 pm

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by temaniak » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:41 pm

mt3 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:35 am
temaniak wrote:
mt3 wrote:

Hello again! I ran into this problem again. Now I shot video to make it clearer. There are no reasons and prerequisites for this. Just, regardless of the situation, such a bug suddenly happens. And it can only be fixed by a repeated firmware update procedure.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by mt3 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:50 pm

temaniak wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:41 pm
mt3 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:35 am
temaniak wrote:
mt3 wrote:

Hello again! I ran into this problem again. Now I shot video to make it clearer. There are no reasons and prerequisites for this. Just, regardless of the situation, such a bug suddenly happens. And it can only be fixed by a repeated firmware update procedure.

It was working fine for a while then reappears?
Did you previously apply the assignable external CV A or B to anything?
What happens when you press the encoder to "show active gates"?

vidret
Common Wiggler

Re: Stillson Hammer MKII: Tips, Tricks, and Assists

Post by vidret » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:22 am

that looks hella annoying. send it in?

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by temaniak » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:44 pm

mt3 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:50 pm

It was working fine for a while then reappears?
Did you previously apply the assignable external CV A or B to anything?
What happens when you press the encoder to "show active gates"?
1. Yep. It just appears without any reason, I turn on the system and see this shit. This bug occurred a second time.
2. Yes, but all works fine with CV attaching...
3. I can’t say it now, because after the video, I again flashed the module and now everything works fine.

By the way, I didn’t catch another point in the video: sometimes the gate does not disappear. It seems that with this bug the voltage on the gate outs is leaking.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:52 am

I have a similar problem, and I think this might tie into the gate issue people have when sending it to certain clock dividers.

My problem is that I want the gate to control PLAY on the tyme sefari mk2, but here's the issue:
If no gates are on, it doesn't play. If I set one gate (one step) to be on, the TS MK2 starts playing continously (It shouldn't do this, it should only play on the gated step).
If I then remove the gate, the TS MK2 keeps playing until i press PLAY on/off or remove/insert the gate cable.

I know it's not the TS MK2 as the play function works perfectly well with any other gate, but on the hammer it just latches and doesn't let go whether no gates are on or not.
It's also not a universal problem, as I can take this same gate sequence and plug it into basically anything else and it'll work as I want. The interplay between SHmk2 gates and certain modules just seems to be off.

So I think the problem might be down to this:

If a gate is set to be on, that entire gate sequence might be sending a tiny voltage, and when it's set to be off again it might still have a slightly higher voltage than 0.

This makes sense somewhat for your fader-issue as well, perhaps the faders you're using are more sensitive than the regular SHmk2 faders? It'd make sense for them to not stop lighting up if there was still a miniscule voltage present.

I'm pretty damn annoyed that my IME/harvestman modules aren't working together tbh, I've been meaning to use the Stillson to trigger different parts of a sample from the TSmk2 but it doesn't seem like that's remotely possible with this gate issue. :confused:

I haven't yet tried running the gate through some kind of attenuator (like people seem to have done to make it work with certain clock dividers) so I'll do that before giving up, but the sequencer and sampler of the same brand not working together is just super meh.

Any other suggestions?

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:24 am

it exhibited this behaviour for two days and now when i try it again today it works as it should.

me and SHmk2: :slapfight:

as long as it works im a happy camper, i really can't find another sequencer with a workflow as good as this.

Return to “The Harvestman”