Double Andore - Do you have 2 mk1s or 1 mk1 and 1mk2 and WHY?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Double Andore - Do you have 2 mk1s or 1 mk1 and 1mk2 and WHY?

Post by mhtones » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Hello fellow :harvestman: enthusiasts,

Was hoping to get some feedback from Harvestman veterans with Double Andore mk1/mk2 experience.

I'm in the process of moving towards a more IME/Harvestman centric setup and I'd like to know your opinions on having 2 DA mk1s vs 1 of each flavor mk1/mk2. And WHY you decided to go that route. Would appreciate hearing from those who have owned both versions at some point. I'm familiar with the specification differences including wavetables/lack of wavetables etc. I've read through all the threads I could find which touch on the differences between versions.

Thanks,
Mark
FS (US): Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas Percido - The Beast

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Double Andore - Do you have 2 mk1s or 1 mk1 and 1mk2 and WHY?

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 am

I had both, sold the MKII cause it did not fit my needs at some crucial points and kept the MKI because I really like its character and grittiness.

My personal grips with the MKII were that I found it hard to get the shape and end length of the envelopes just right to my liking and got along way better with Maths in that regard. Also a key feature for was the CV control over shape and that did not really work for me as I would have expected. When using it for slewing voltages it inroduced offsets and also for chaning envelope shapes it did not make it for me.

The cross mod control was nice though and something I miss on the MKI. I think I would have preferred CV over cross mod over shape control. On the other hand with the MKI you get clicks here and there when retriggering it.

Apart form that it is a versatile dual envelope/VCA modulation combo with a lot of hands on control and nicely designed to not take too much rack space. Combine it with a HDIII and you can do a lot of intersting sounds.

I am really hoping for a combined MKIII DA with wave tables, presets and assignaeble CV inputs now...

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Thanks Leverkusen! Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for!

One question in regards to:
Leverkusen wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 am
The cross mod control was nice though and something I miss on the MKI. I think I would have preferred CV over cross mod over shape control.
I thought I saw a video showing that the MK1 does have cross modulation? I think it was one of Robotopsy's (who's videos I have been thoroughly enjoying and watching over and over...even though my kids ask me why there is a female robot talking to me :hihi:) Or is it the way cross modulation is implemented differently on the MK2? I have a WMD Triple Bipolar VCA (modded) that I use as a "utility" VCA so I can probably patch vc cross modulation via that...although I understand the ease of built-in cross modulation. Love the Kermit!
Leverkusen wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 am
My personal grips with the MKII were that I found it hard to get the shape and end length of the envelopes just right to my liking and got along way better with Maths in that regard.
That's important for me to know. I would have replaced my Maths with a DA MK2. Would have been a big sacrifice because I love Math's envelopes. They just feel and sound right to me. Have had one in my setup for 10+ years.

I've read that some people find the DA MK2 envelopes lacking the quick snappy response. Did you find the MK1 does this better with certain settings/button press modes?

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:19 pm

mhtones wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:51 pm
Thanks Leverkusen! Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for!
Great, I am glad that it's helpful.
mhtones wrote:
Or is it the way cross modulation is implemented differently on the MK2?
The MKII has an attenuator to dial in the amount of cross mod, while on the MKI it is just on or off. You can work around that of course, but for immediacy MKII does a little more.
mhtones wrote:
That's important for me to know. I would have replaced my Maths with a DA MK2. Would have been a big sacrifice because I love Math's envelopes. They just feel and sound right to me. Have had one in my setup for 10+ years.
Same here - I always end up using Maths for simple AD/AR envelopes as I like them the most and find my personal sweet spots easily. I had and have a few similar function generators but none was as good as Maths to me.
mhtones wrote:
I've read that some people find the DA MK2 envelopes lacking the quick snappy response. Did you find the MK1 does this better with certain settings/button press modes?
Yes, I felt the same about MKII and find the MKI to be quite snappy, especcially in exp mode with exp shapes you can get very short sharp cutting clikcs.
mhtones wrote:
Love the Kermit!
Kermit MKIII is the best for morphing envelopes, DA MKI does this in very gritty and glithy way.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 pm

What about those of you with 2 DA mk1s or 2 mk2s? What's your reasoning for doubling up versus going with one of each?

Are any of you thinking of replacing a Double Andore with the Andore Jr (single Andore) that will hopefully be available soon?

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:58 am

mhtones wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 pm
What about those of you with 2 DA mk1s or 2 mk2s? What's your reasoning for doubling up versus going with one of each?

Are any of you thinking of replacing a Double Andore with the Andore Jr (single Andore) that will hopefully be available soon?
a buddy is threatening to sell me his DA mkI and that would make two for me, as it'd be nice to have the extra vcas, but perhaps more fun to have one DA for envelopes and another for audio rate insanity. there just aren't very many wavetable envelopes out there and i just love the harvestgrit...though with a mkIII piston and a mkIII kermit in the case also, two DAs might be overkill.

andore jr is almost bordering on mythical at this point ala contempt.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:13 pm

jwm wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:58 am
mhtones wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 pm

a buddy is threatening to sell me his DA mkI and that would make two for me, as it'd be nice to have the extra vcas, but perhaps more fun to have one DA for envelopes and another for audio rate insanity. there just aren't very many wavetable envelopes out there and i just love the harvestgrit...though with a mkIII piston and a mkIII kermit in the case also, two DAs might be overkill.

Try this with the Kermit mkIII - use channels A&B in envelope mode and then use the C&D channels to cross mod the wave selection perimeters.

Between using the Kermit mkIII like that and my DA mk1 I pretty much stopped caring about the andore jr., although it does help that I kept my Kermit mkII which is dedicated to LFO duties.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:59 pm

jwm wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:58 am

Do PH mk3 and Kermit mk3 have built in VCAs? I've been trying to stay "uninterested" in the mk3s because I always find I lose interest in modules with screens/menus. Although I've been tempted to try knowing Scott's attention to UI. I think the prices have kept them a little out of reach for me. Perhaps after a couple years when there are more used ones available.

I'm glad I didn't pay attention to andore jr when it was first announced. Waiting this long would have been agonizing. But, now it seems so close to release? :despair: I guess I'm lucky that the mk2s are still "new to me" and that I'm so late to the :harvestman: party. I can have fun with those until AJr.

....Back on topic...somewhat... What are some good LPGs to pair up with DA mk1 while we wait for Andore Jr?

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 am

gringostar wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:13 pm
Try this with the Kermit mkIII - use channels A&B in envelope mode and then use the C&D channels to cross mod the wave selection perimeters.
yeah this is a ton of fun for sure! my problem is usually having all 4 channels tied up with modulation duties (stupidly, i do not keep my mk2)
mhtones wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:59 pm
Do PH mk3 and Kermit mk3 have built in VCAs? I've been trying to stay "uninterested" in the mk3s because I always find I lose interest in modules with screens/menus. Although I've been tempted to try knowing Scott's attention to UI. I think the prices have kept them a little out of reach for me. Perhaps after a couple years when there are more used ones available.

I'm glad I didn't pay attention to andore jr when it was first announced. Waiting this long would have been agonizing. But, now it seems so close to release? :despair: I guess I'm lucky that the mk2s are still "new to me" and that I'm so late to the :harvestman: party. I can have fun with those until AJr.

....Back on topic...somewhat... What are some good LPGs to pair up with DA mk1 while we wait for Andore Jr?
piston does not, kermit does...kinda. they aren't exactly on par with say, a dedicated vca module, though they work great for most of my purposes. that feature set was a bit bumpy upon roll out, but scott has done a lot to improve it in recent months.

personally, the lxd is a great little active lpg to pair with harveststuff, but, if you want to explore a cheaper passive option, the takaab 3xlpg is a really great value for the money and surprisingly versatile for what it is. i often have that slotted in more than an lxd to be honest..

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 am

jwm wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 am
personally, the lxd is a great little active lpg to pair with harveststuff, but, if you want to explore a cheaper passive option, the takaab 3xlpg is a really great value for the money and surprisingly versatile for what it is. i often have that slotted in more than an lxd to be honest..
Great! LxD is my lpg of choice sitting right next to the Piston. Ive yet to try the Takaab, maybe that's next.

And I'm happy to report that I have a DAmk1 and Bionic Lester mk1 on the way to me. :harvestman: :harvestman:

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:50 pm

Glad you got them! I also had a WTB ad up recently for the BL mk1 and was surprised how quickly it was answered. I hope the Lester is blowing your mind as much as it is mine. Now you’ve got me interested in the DAmk1, haha. I’ve had the mk2 but never took the time to check out the original. Looks amazing!

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 pm

The BLmkI is great... but I recently picked up an RK6 which IMO is a similar mojo to it in only 8hp, plus the comb filter on the BLmkIII is worth the price of admission alone. That said, if I had a larger case I would have absolutely kept my BLmkI.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:58 pm

gringostar wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 pm
The BLmkI is great... but I recently picked up an RK6 which IMO is a similar mojo to it in only 8hp, plus the comb filter on the BLmkIII is worth the price of admission alone. That said, if I had a larger case I would have absolutely kept my BLmkI.
Isn't the RK6 only lowpass? I like having the 2 multi mode filters with the 6 outputs. Today, I've been having fun with feedback patches and using 2 Notch filters for stereo processing of one signal using the input and filter cv normaling. Seems like a bunch of sounds in there! The aliasing is more fun than I expected. And the combined clock setting on the 2nd output can get nutso! :love:

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:10 pm

Oh and the Yes, the comb filters in the mkiii sound amazing. I read that comb filters are similar to super fast delays. I actually had some success the other day making comb filter like sounds with my echophon clocked at audiorates. I'm going to play with that more and see how close I can come to a comb filter sound.

All said, I don't doubt that the RK6 is a monster. Metasonix rep and all. :metasonix:

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:44 am

I really like the xmod of the double andore mk2.
Does any other module have this functionality?
Seems so nice to have it prerouted in the vca.

Return to “The Harvestman”