Tyme Sefari MK1 MK2 Kompare Video

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, governor blacksnake, solidox

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Tyme Sefari MK1 MK2 Kompare Video

Post by robotopsy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:44 am

Can't wait for the MKIII

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Tyme Sefari MK1 MK2 Kompare Video

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm

Thanks Robotopsy, great video. I've grown to love both my Mk I and Mk II Time Sefaris.

I was curious, is the rumor now that there is going to be a Mk III Time Sefari? Scott had previously said he thought the hardware on the Mk II TS was good enough, but would revisit the software. At any rate I'd be happy with any of those outcomes.

Last question to Harvestman readers, did anyone ever figure how to add gate inputs to the Mk I Sound of Thunder like the Mk II has? The Mk I glitch points are quite different than the MkII, being able to gate them on and off would be really useful.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Thanx

I don't know what will happen with a MKII ? :despair:
I do hope there will be a new version, with less clicks and with MKIII preset management.

And I'd go any time with an expander with gate inputs for the TS1.
Ras Thavas wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm
Thanks Robotopsy, great video. I've grown to love both my Mk I and Mk II Time Sefaris.

I was curious, is the rumor now that there is going to be a Mk III Time Sefari? Scott had previously said he thought the hardware on the Mk II TS was good enough, but would revisit the software. At any rate I'd be happy with any of those outcomes.

Last question to Harvestman readers, did anyone ever figure how to add gate inputs to the Mk I Sound of Thunder like the Mk II has? The Mk I glitch points are quite different than the MkII, being able to gate them on and off would be really useful.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:46 pm

The funny thing Robotopsy is I was always in the "less clicks" camp for many years, but last year it just "clicked" for me, I really like the character the various clicks, glitches, and low fidelity-ness can give. Still, I could see it would be nice to be able to start without all of that, and then gracefully degrade the audio when you want, so hopefully a Mk III is in the offing.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Slight correction to the video, if you dig into old posts about the MK1 there was a feedback input mod that Scott performed for a period of time if you sent in your module to him that functions exactly like the feedback input of the MK2.

This was a nice surprise to get when I got my MK1 from someone here a few years ago.

Other than that fantastic video as always. When I have mine racked (it's either the TS MK1 or Lubadh until I get a larger rack) I find it great as a CV recorder and mangler, super lofi delay, and it excels as an audio source to feed Rings however the section on using it for granular synthases was something I've never considered before so thanks for that cool tip.

grizzleb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grizzleb » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:19 pm

I would like to get a tyme sefari, but they are very hard to come by second hand, so i hope that a mk iii comes to be

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 am

Didn't know there was a MOD for the MK1. Scott is so busy pretty sure bothering him with that must be a waste of time. I'd rather know that he is working on new surprises. :yay:

I wonder if someone could post some pictures of the mod :oops:

gringostar wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm
Slight correction to the video, if you dig into old posts about the MK1 there was a feedback input mod that Scott performed for a period of time if you sent in your module to him that functions exactly like the feedback input of the MK2.

This was a nice surprise to get when I got my MK1 from someone here a few years ago.

Other than that fantastic video as always. When I have mine racked (it's either the TS MK1 or Lubadh until I get a larger rack) I find it great as a CV recorder and mangler, super lofi delay, and it excels as an audio source to feed Rings however the section on using it for granular synthases was something I've never considered before so thanks for that cool tip.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:26 am

Great video and such an absurd endeavor to invest so much time and effort in two discontinued modules! I like it when you do this from time to time. Also the remixes really "rock" and the references to the original artists have been very inspiring - having a nice breakfast with the Manorexia album right now. :goo:

Though, while it does help making the decision wether I am more after the MKI or the MKII (it's the MKI, I guess - sound versus SoT features) the only downside is that it will be harder now to find one. I am in constant sorrow to miss an oportunity and could beat myself up for not investing more into the legacy modules back then. Or at least when they were more present on the used market for quite good prices about two years ago before the MKIII line started some kind of a new Harvest...I thought I could replicate it with modern delays and bitcrushers, but it did not really work out like the real thing. :bang:

Hopefully it will motivate Scott to work on a MKIII. His remark about the hardware still being up to date was in 2017 or 2018 I think, so there might be a chance. Presets and being able to choose between prestine and vintage sound quality would be a dream. Though I thought that the granular sampler thing would become the heir of the Sefaris throne.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 am

The versions are so different from each other that I wanted to create some sort of an archive on each of the modules, even if they are now extremely rare.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:58 pm

robotopsy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 am
Didn't know there was a MOD for the MK1. Scott is so busy pretty sure bothering him with that must be a waste of time. I'd rather know that he is working on new surprises. :yay:

Here's the front panel with the feedback in mod. Don't want to risk taking the panel off since I don't want to mess up the pots but there looks to be a single red wire that's going to a connector on the PCB as well.

Here's the post Scott made about what it does in a really old thread.
governor blacksnake wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:09 pm
I'm working on those sefaris this week!

The upgrade currently consists of the added feedback input jack (normalled to the wet output, feeds through the attenuator pot.)

It also includes some improvements to the audio input hardware that greatly improve the stability of short loops as well as better sampling quality.

The "new model" tyme sefari that will be released after NAMM is a completely different design.
And found the thread where he describes how to do the mod.
Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm
The jack is for a feedback input that goes directly into the feedback attenuator above it. When nothing is patched in the Sefari's delayed signal is fed back through this pot. Use with the DLY OUT jack for a fully patchable feedback loop.

Looking at the back of the control board, cut the trace going into the rightmost pin of the feedback pot (the one that isnt connected to ground.) Connect this pin to the "tip" terminal of the jack you will be installing. Connect the switch terminal of the jack to the center pin of the toggle switch below this pot. This is what I do when you send the module to me for the upgrade, which also includes a nice new hole in the panel with the jack installed where it's supposed to go.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:26 pm

:hail: :hail: :hail:

This is the unobtanium Holy Grail of all TS MK1

gringostar wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:58 pm
robotopsy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 am

Here's the front panel with the feedback in mod. Don't want to risk taking the panel off since I don't want to mess up the pots but there looks to be a single red wire that's going to a connector on the PCB as well.

Here's the post Scott made about what it does in a really old thread.
Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:09 pm
I'm working on those sefaris this week!

The upgrade currently consists of the added feedback input jack (normalled to the wet output, feeds through the attenuator pot.)

It also includes some improvements to the audio input hardware that greatly improve the stability of short loops as well as better sampling quality.

The "new model" tyme sefari that will be released after NAMM is a completely different design.
And found the thread where he describes how to do the mod.
Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm
The jack is for a feedback input that goes directly into the feedback attenuator above it. When nothing is patched in the Sefari's delayed signal is fed back through this pot. Use with the DLY OUT jack for a fully patchable feedback loop.

Looking at the back of the control board, cut the trace going into the rightmost pin of the feedback pot (the one that isnt connected to ground.) Connect this pin to the "tip" terminal of the jack you will be installing. Connect the switch terminal of the jack to the center pin of the toggle switch below this pot. This is what I do when you send the module to me for the upgrade, which also includes a nice new hole in the panel with the jack installed where it's supposed to go.

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:35 am

awesome vid!

also...for those who may be unaware, if you have a TS mk2, but don't have the 8hp for a SOT mk2, but still would like access to the pitch bending features, it is possible to attach a SOT mk1 to a TS mk2 (or make your own as i did - with some pointers scott graciously provided me)

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:06 pm

jwm wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:35 am
awesome vid!

also...for those who may be unaware, if you have a TS mk2, but don't have the 8hp for a SOT mk2, but still would like access to the pitch bending features, it is possible to attach a SOT mk1 to a TS mk2 (or make your own as i did - with some pointers scott graciously provided me)

this is great! :hail: got pics of the back of the TS for the mods?

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:07 am

vidret wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:06 pm
got pics of the back of the TS for the mods?
well, i can't find my stupid screwdriver, so i made a little illustrated diagram. not really sure the extra ground connection is needed there, but i ran out of LED leg clippings to use as the bus bar connections to all 8 switches, and there are two ground pins, so it was just cleaner to fill up a 2x5 header with 10 wires. at any rate, it works..
Attachments
thunder.pdf
(374.22 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Return to “The Harvestman”