Kermit mk III - coming soon

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, governor blacksnake, solidox

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Kermit mk III - coming soon

Post by boom blip » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 pm

crumb dinger wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 pm
Is anyone else experiencing problems with the preset manager? Following the manual and I can't get presets to save correctly. Using 'edit' to make changes doesn't seem to matter at all, and using 'save presets' or 'save preset to slot x' doesn't preserve things correctly. Am I wrestling a known bug or just misunderstanding the scope of the preset manager?
What problems are you noticing? I mostly save between powering on and off and it seems to work fine with preserving whatever I am working with, but I haven't dove too deep with it.

crumb dinger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crumb dinger » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:44 pm

boom blip wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 pm
What problems are you noticing? I mostly save between powering on and off and it seems to work fine with preserving whatever I am working with, but I haven't dove too deep with it.
Ok, it was all a dream, i think! I just didn't realize that when you're editing you can scroll through presets independently of what is loaded, and there's no indication of which preset you're looking at in edit mode aside from the characteristics of your channels afaik. If you have two similar presets, be careful. I must have just edited the wrong preset yesterday and then tried to load up something that I hadn't actually made any changes to :doh:

There is one weird bit of UI that doesn't seem intentional and definitely threw me: the standard preset mode and editing mode have independent access to the array of 8 presets, but using the encoder to flick through will move through the presets for both modes. Or at least this is what's happening to me. I am on P1, double click to edit, enter edit mode but it's focused on a different preset, scroll back to what looks like P1, make my changes, double click to exit edit mode, and a different preset is loaded.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 am

Hi,
Does the Kermit have a looped random mode? That's the kind of random I find most appealing.
I understand that the module does a lot already....and it even creates a sweet noise salad for you.
Still, I think that'd be a super dope feature to have, considering the necessary ingredients are in there already.
In the looped random mode - one knob could set how many steps the LFO would have, and another button or knob could be used for re-generation/randomization/shift-register or wogglebug type of randomization of the currently locked LFO shape. The amplitude knob might control the scaling part, but it's not absolutely necessary IMO. And there might be a way to have the LFO as either smooth or stepped :hail:
Pretty please? :-)
BTW - Would anyone else find this feature useful?

EDIT: Changed to a more abstract description rather than a pre-scription.
Last edited by StrangeAttraction on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:51 am

No. And it would be too much of a sequencer for my taste then and less of an oscillator.

You could use one channel in sample and hold mode with one of the more unusual LFO shapes though to get a bit of that effect.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:05 am

Interesting...yeah, the S&H into LFO could be fun.
I don't quite agree with the "too much of a sequencer" point, because you can't intentionally set the sequence at all, it's simply looped random values.
So, it's essentially a generative stepped LFO.
Considering this is a module based on the idea of using cycles (in a form of wavetables), it makes more sense to have cyclical (looped) random LFO, than a non-cyclical one, in the first place...

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:44 pm

there are some more fundamental performance aspects to optimize and kinda nasty clock-related bugs to squash first, but after that i wholeheartedly agree that it would be nice to have a looping random option. I would really love to see that in Kermit, and think it would be even more interesting for internal cross modulation than a nonlooping random source.

maybe "wave bank" could determine the length of the loop and "wave" could determine the probability of a new value (which is better to have immediate tactile and voltage control over). and this could be an extension of the existing random modes (both stepped and smooth) without having to introduce new modes or compromise their amplitude and frequency parameters - they are just all operating at 100% value flipping probability now :)

it's worth writing to IME, not sure how much input this forum has

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:41 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:44 pm
it's worth writing to IME, not sure how much input this forum has
Good suggestion. Done!

jingo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jingo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Wohoooo ;), just bought this frog basketball player module and its a remarkable modulator. Just recorded this small demo where it modulates the acl variable sync vco fm, hihats decay and crash tone both from erica synths...

Last edited by jingo on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:23 pm

this is no jim henson abomination.. this is homage to a basketball player from the 70s

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:55 pm

KERMIT MKIII set to trig random
the 4 output of the KERMIT goes through the Paths.
Paths make a rotation between the 4 output that goes to the Intellijel BIFOLD.
Piston Honda MK1 goes to the Aux input of the BIFOLD.
Hertz Donut MKIII ( set to trig random ) to the XFade input of the BIFOLD.

flossiezoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by flossiezoo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:29 am

I’ve got a small case, so Kermit mk III does all the LFO duties. I’m sure I’ve missed it somewhere, but how does OSC COPY mode work? It’s clearly labelled in the manual, but I haven’t been able to figure how to actually copy the settings from oscillators A or B, and paste to oscillators C or D.

I find it a little hard to get everything set up for C and D, and thought the copy and paste would be a clever short cut. Thanks for the help.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:56 am

I might have misunderstod what you are after, but if it is using Channel A as some kind of interface to easily set up channel C/D, copying the settings and then use A for something different, that is not how it works.

OSC COPY makes Channel C/D work like the source channel all the time. When you change something on channel A/B channel C/D will immediately follow the new control values as the source channel controls overtake the controls of the channel in OSC COPY mode. More like C/D being a clone of A/B then copy and paste settings from A/B to C/D

It is meant to have two versions of the same oscillators with a phase offset, like LFO's shifted in time. Therefore Phase is the only setting that is not copyied but can be adjusted individually. It works fine here (I just don't use it very often).

Unfortunately Phase is not modulatable, neither inernally nor by CV - that would really shift Kermit to yet another level. Try setting up A as OSC, C to OSC COPY and then wiggle the phase of A - it sounds so incredible with those gritty Kermit waves! :zombie:

triangle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by triangle » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:25 am

I found you can change the Character setting of the cloned oscillator too, but otherwise my experience of copy is same as Leverkusen

flossiezoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by flossiezoo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 am

Yes, had the wrong end of the stick. Thank you for clarifying Leverkusen. Will have a play :)

Return to “The Harvestman”