HERTZ DONUT MARK III - shipping now!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

ritec
Common Wiggler

Re: HERTZ DONUT MARK III - shipping now!

Post by ritec » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:23 am

Voggg wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 pm
ritec wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:06 pm
Does anyone know when these modules will be back in stock? It seems like they have been out of stock, at least in Perfect Circuit for quite a long time now.
It sounds like Piston Honda and Kermit will be restocked fairly soon, with Hertz Donut and Bionic Lester after that. They've had a backlog and overseas dealers may be prioritized.
Thanks for the heads up!

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 pm

I’ve thought of a better way to ask my question. Is it possible to get op a or b to lock perfectly on the frequency of the main oscillator so that it’s dibs and multi are perfect with no beating? It seems no matter what, I get undesirable beating, almost like the FMing of the main osc frequency is actually happening in the analog domain rather than in the digital. I find this beating very undesirable. Is the only option a full highly precise calibration? If that’s the case what parts of the system will be temperature dependent if any?

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:51 pm

I think I understand what you're saying but could you post an audio example? I'm not entirely sure if you're talking about normal behavior or if there's something wrong with it. If it is normal behavior, you should be able to fine tune it to get them in sync.

I mean I think some degree of "beating" is a characteristic of having more than one oscillator in any configuration? Otherwise it would just sound like one oscillator.
ima_jrk wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 pm
I’ve thought of a better way to ask my question. Is it possible to get op a or b to lock perfectly on the frequency of the main oscillator so that it’s dibs and multi are perfect with no beating? It seems no matter what, I get undesirable beating, almost like the FMing of the main osc frequency is actually happening in the analog domain rather than in the digital. I find this beating very undesirable. Is the only option a full highly precise calibration? If that’s the case what parts of the system will be temperature dependent if any?

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks for responding! Here is the demo. Mod is at 100% with no fold. I start with OP A and turn up FM to about 50%. The knob starts at 1 ratio and I start turning to the left then return to center and then turn to the right. I then turn FM off and switch to OP B and do the same. This is even worse as B has no fine tune.

I say it sounds like fM is happening in analog domain because the oscillators are not precisely tuned and in phase together as they would be in Digital FM. I’m looking for the glassy perfect FM with no beating (as it is the OP A fine tune has to be adjust to different positions to minimize the beating which means it gets real annoying when playing across octaves and B is quite a bit off). The module is running 1.71 and was just received in December new from DM.

Is glassy perfect FM an option from the HD?

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Well I’ve really borked it. I have a 60K count bench DMM, set up a 1.0000V and 7.0000V source to attempt the calibration. My module doesn’t display anywhere near the expected tunings to “fine tune” - for instance on OPA, sending the 1V source tuned the OSC to A6- I had to turn the course tune knob up a third to get it to C0.

Re reading the manual it looks like I cleared out CV calibration values when I did the full reset. At this point it looks like I’ve got a long email to write to IME tonight.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:48 pm

I never get anything clean glassy out of my HD either, but thats not what im looking for so im very happy with its fm power.

I repeat myself, but my only gripe with it is i wish there was the possibility to make the operators other waves. At least a square, so you could clock/sync another module.

Anyway, will be nice to hear what response you get from IME.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Thanks. I sent the write up lst night. Still waiting on a reply.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:45 am

Scott got back to me last night with instructions on how to proceed. I should have time to dig in this weekend and will report back.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 am

I'll be interested to hear your results. I don't think I would bother trying this personally as I'm not sure how I would apply the "glassy" FM in practice. I picked up a Volca FM as a cheap way to get glassy tones (and easy chords) into my rack.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Just following up. First, I suppose I don't actually mean glassy, I mean "non beating and detuned". The results are similar to what I expect with a TZFM capable oscillator being modulated by another analog oscillator.

Scott had me try a few more things, but ultimately, nothing worked. Scott has graciously offered to take the module back and fix what I could not. I will miss it while it's gone! I just hope my Piston Honda pre-order arrives to fill the time ;)

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:25 am

Thats nice of him.
The ph is great for fm as well, though it seems to be a little less hifi. Which is great also :)

Hope you post some examples when you get it back.
Pretty sure my hd works same way as yours.
Nice to know if the hd can actually do fm8ish stuff :)

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:03 pm

They make a pretty nice piano...

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:44 pm

Hello everyone! I just heard back from Scott. First, I want to thank him for record turn around of a repair from a manufacturer. They just got the module over the weekend and it will be heading back today. He found my issue, which was that the tuning instructions in the manual aren't quite correct. He shared the following:

I was able to calibrate it and everything is in working order. Around the same time, another customer wrote to me with similar questions and I discovered that the tuning instructions in the manual are now incorrect due to a change in the firmware (operator Free mode gained an extended tuning range which invalidated the instructions and introduced a bug in the frequency display!)

The correct tuning instructions are:

Leave operator A mode as “discrete”
Set aux out mode to “op a only"
Tune main oscillator to C0
Set Op A multiplier to “x1”
Insert tuned control voltage into Op A cv input and use trimmer to tune to octaves

So there we have it, I didn't bork anything! Thank you again Scott for the amazing service. I can't wait for my PHmk3 to show up!

robotopsy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:48 pm

I can only say good thing about the Harvestman / IME service too.
ima_jrk wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:44 pm
Thank you again Scott for the amazing service. I can't wait for my PHmk3 to show up!

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:59 pm

robotopsy wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:48 pm
ima_jrk wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:44 pm
Thank you again Scott for the amazing service. I can't wait for my PHmk3 to show up!
Same here, absolutely agree.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:39 pm

robotopsy wrote:
but i for several months can't wait for an answer on my problem with the HD3 firmware. :-(. Total ignore...

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:42 pm

temaniak wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:39 pm
robotopsy wrote:
but i for several months can't wait for an answer on my problem with the HD3 firmware. :-(. Total ignore...
That doesn't sound right, I would try contacting again.

robotopsy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:44 am

Maybe on the facebook page of Industrial Music Electronics would be the right spot ?
temaniak wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:39 pm
robotopsy wrote:

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Besfar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:24 am

dysonant wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:47 am
I participated in Disquiet Junto for the first time this weekend in which the task was to use only your most recently acquired musical tool. Mine was the HDIII and a reconfigured case. All sounds in this piece come from the HDIII.

http://soundcloud.com/dysonant/50-0ff-disquiet0372
Wow thats nice sounding

Return to “The Harvestman”