Escalation Dominance

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:30 am

hawkfuzz wrote:I bet the new Andore absorbed the project.

Has some similarities to the newer Roland System 500 mixer module.

sorta related: Scott mentioned guitar pedals from IME at that Tokyo show earlier this year, Bionic Lester mk2 hasn't happened and I have seen 3-4 other IME modules in product announcement videos that never come out. It'd be one thing if modules are mentioned but never happen, but it always seems like he has a [near] finished prototype of a module that isn't released. WHY

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:40 am

Per the latest Hertz Donut MKIII video the Lester is coming out as a MKIII version now since apparently while working on the other MKIII modules he wants to make more changes over the ones he already made on the MKII prototype.

As for why modules/pedals don't come out it might be because of market saturation for similar products or that the price of materials would make it too expensive for what it does.

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 pm

gringostar wrote:Per the latest Hertz Donut MKIII video the Lester is coming out as a MKIII version now since apparently while working on the other MKIII modules he wants to make more changes over the ones he already made on the MKII prototype.

As for why modules/pedals don't come out it might be because of market saturation for similar products or that the price of materials would make it too expensive for what it does.
I knew about BLmk3 jumping over mk2, but I sorta liked the layout of that prototype. I have just about every mk2 module, but I guess this will convince me to start getting those 3s...

I would be interested in that Andore Jr, the compressor module I saw a video of and I'm sure there's another I'm not thinking of because I'm in between classes right now, but stuff getting announced and then sorta disappears is a bummer.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:08 pm

monoscan wrote: I knew about BLmk3 jumping over mk2, but I sorta liked the layout of that prototype. I have just about every mk2 module, but I guess this will convince me to start getting those 3s...

I would be interested in that Andore Jr, the compressor module I saw a video of and I'm sure there's another I'm not thinking of because I'm in between classes right now, but stuff getting announced and then sorta disappears is a bummer.
Scott has been using the Andore Jr in all the MKIII oscillator demos so I would imagine that's the next one to be released once they're done. The compressor... that might have morphed into the Andore Jr since both are dual channel VCAs or it might be on the back burner or it might be vaporware :despair:

IME is a pretty small operation and they have also been pushing out a lot of updates for the SH MKII along with getting the MKIII oscillators ready and getting the BFF wavetable oscillator ready so it's not like there hasn't been a lot of development of their product lines.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:32 am

monoscan wrote:
gringostar wrote:Per the latest Hertz Donut MKIII video the Lester is coming out as a MKIII version now since apparently while working on the other MKIII modules he wants to make more changes over the ones he already made on the MKII prototype.

I knew about BLmk3 jumping over mk2, but I sorta liked the layout of that prototype. I have just about every mk2 module, but I guess this will convince me to start getting those 3s...

It's actually based on preorders by dealers. If dealers don't place many preorders then the module is shelved for the time being.
No vaporware, just vapordemand.

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:29 am

so then.... can we tempt them to finish with a large enough group buy? :yay:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Misk wrote:so then.... can we tempt them to finish with a large enough group buy? :yay:
The answer is (roughly) yes. From my understanding.
Though it depends on other factors such as time. The new issue becomes organizing such an endeavor.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:55 pm

I've lost track of what module is being discussed. But a little birdy told me that the Escalation Dominance is still coming. There's just a lot of other modules in the line as well. HD mk III, then Andore, and then BL mk II or III or whatever I believe. Not sure where Escalation Dominance will fit it.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:33 am

Sinamsis wrote:I've lost track of what module is being discussed.
I don't even track. RED mode always.
Though I had the Double Andore mk II Mythical Expander in mind when replying.
Sinamsis wrote:But a little birdy told me that the Escalation Dominance is still coming. There's just a lot of other modules in the line as well. HD mk III, then Andore, and then BL mk II or III or whatever I believe. Not sure where Escalation Dominance will fit it.
That sounds about right.

jjh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjh » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:22 am

Slightly off topic, but am I right when I think IME seems to have larger buffer of "coming soon" and "maybe coming soon" modules than other manufacturers?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:58 am

jjh wrote:Slightly off topic, but am I right when I think IME seems to have larger buffer of "coming soon" and "maybe coming soon" modules than other manufacturers?
Maybe. Maybe not.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:42 am

jjh wrote:Slightly off topic, but am I right when I think IME seems to have larger buffer of "coming soon" and "maybe coming soon" modules than other manufacturers?
Yes. Scott really focuses on interface and I think that's usually the hold up for him, but I'm not sure. He's emphasized the importance of interface a few times so I'm guessing that's his main reason for taking his time with things. I also think his team is smaller than Make Noise, which is 16 people I think.

I do wish some of the stuff on the horizon would come, especially this, but there's plenty of other stuff in eurorack to play with until it happens.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:07 am

As much as I’d love to see this come to fruition sooner rather than later, IME seems to have the right approach overall. There’s a ton of functionality in all the modules that keep me busy exploring and I mostly have mkI stuff :lol:

The SHII updates alone are a breath of fresh air when many manufacturers seem content on releasing a product and support either stops entirely or goes at a snails pace while chasing the next “new” thing.
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:55 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Yes. Scott really focuses on interface and I think that's usually the hold up for him, but I'm not sure. He's emphasized the importance of interface a few times so I'm guessing that's his main reason for taking his time with things. I also think his team is smaller than Make Noise, which is 16 people I think.

I do wish some of the stuff on the horizon would come, especially this, but there's plenty of other stuff in eurorack to play with until it happens.
Isn't his team like only 4-5, with one of them being only a beta-tester?

Also I could have sworn I read/heard something where the BL mk2 was shelved because it would have been way too expensive due to component cost and now the BL mk3 will be a fully digital filter with the mk3 preset feature.

Scott/IME is one of the few (only?) outfits to preview things fairly early on in development, but this can be a double edged sword since while it's cool to see the progression of modules from early stages until completion (Stilton Hammer mk2 / Argos Bleak come to mind) some modules will get delayed or even canceled due to production costs and development overrun of other modules.

jjh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjh » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:09 pm

It is normal that product development takes time, many iterations and sometimes even cancellations. So my issue was not in that, especially when the actually released products are consistently full of awesome.

I was merely trying to point out that to me it is questionable do we need to know about projects that may never materialize, or if they do, no idea which year.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:05 pm

jjh wrote:I was merely trying to point out that to me it is questionable do we need to know about projects that may never materialize, or if they do, no idea which year.
I’m unsure how much it matters either way.
We’re synthesis corksniffers, a niche audience. Breaking conventions is part of the fun and games.

Return to “The Harvestman”