Kermit

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

deltaAquarii
Common Wiggler

Post by deltaAquarii » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:18 pm

no mk3 leaks yet, what? :guinness:

thehipcola
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thehipcola » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Just wanted to props this whole thread pretty much - was totally planning to sell my Kermit, but after reading through and watching/listening to a few things here - I've found some new love for this module. Just needed to spend some QT exploring with it.

Thx!

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:33 am

I wish there could be a way to have another mode where you can get 1cycle LFO. So it could act like a wavetable envelope. Sending this to the other section's amplitude and we could have Oscillator - envelope and VCA in one unit :yay:

merlatte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by merlatte » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 am

Has anybody tried pairing the Kermit with a Mangrove? I mean that in a super general way, i.e. FM between the two, Kermie modulating Mangrove, as two separate voices, etc. I have a Mangrove with an STO right now, and don't particularly care for the latter at all outside of the sine wave. Kermit's dual functionality in 10HP seems ideal for the small system I'm limiting myself to and I love the sounds Robotopsy was producing in the Kermit demo video (which I am very thankful for!). However practically everything I've seen/heard of it has it paired with digital modules and I'm generally not sure how well digital and analog oscillators work together. I'm also considering a second Mangrove.

guestt

Post by guestt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 am

Digital and analogue modules work just fine together... why not?

My advice for what it is worth; if you are curious, investigate ;)

merlatte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by merlatte » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:22 am

Baddcr wrote:Digital and analogue modules work just fine together... why not?

My advice for what it is worth; if you are curious, investigate ;)
I was mainly unsure about digital and analogue oscillators specifically, but I'd guess your answer would probably be the same now that I'm thinking about it. I just haven't seen/heard too many demos of both types used in conjunction, but a wave is a wave I suppose.

I like your advice and preemptively heeded it by ordering a Kermit from AH's sale and a used Mangrove from elsewhere. I'll have to Sophie's Choice one of them though and it's going to be a tough call either way. I'm leaning towards Kermit though, I think.

guestt

Post by guestt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 am

I use analogue and digital modules together all the time, there are no particular rules except of course no 'output to output' patching!

Range matters more; 0-5V. 0-8V, 0-10V, and bipolar e.g. -5V to +5V, but that's what attenuators and inverters are for :)

Nothing bad will happen if you plug a 0-10V source into a 0-5V input - the incoming voltage will be clamped so you will miss the full range of modulation, but you won't break anything.

Having said that, I would recommend paying attention to your voltages and avoiding these mismatches if at all possible, it doesn't make sense to stress these things out unnecessarily.

Anyway, congratulations, they are both great, and I bet you end up keeping both ;)

merlatte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by merlatte » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

Baddcr wrote:
Anyway, congratulations, they are both great, and I bet you end up keeping both ;)
Haha, my first MW "both" reply! That would be ideal and is probably inevitable, but I'm keeping myself to a skiff for the time being. Thanks for that information though, very helpful :)

theelectricyouth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theelectricyouth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:20 am

Analogue and digital modules all the way for me too :)

Mephitif
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mephitif » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:02 am

robotopsy wrote:I wish there could be a way to have another mode where you can get 1cycle LFO. So it could act like a wavetable envelope. Sending this to the other section's amplitude and we could have Oscillator - envelope and VCA in one unit :yay:
I was thinking about how to do something similar a couple of weeks ago using the Kermit and double Andore mk2. I got a couple of ideas to try out first, but I was thinking of making a video of it.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:40 am

I've got so into my Kermit lately, especially now I've slimmed down my system it's even more valuable. I'm at a point where I can really see how more Harvestman modules might compliment it, I'm on a mission to substitute what other modules I have with a Double Andore and a Piston Honda. Strange how it's taken all this time and a grand tour of modular to realise I should have done this right from the beginning.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:24 am

robotopsy wrote:I wish there could be a way to have another mode where you can get 1cycle LFO. So it could act like a wavetable envelope. Sending this to the other section's amplitude and we could have Oscillator - envelope and VCA in one unit :yay:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't that be extracted while in Tap Tempo/Orange mode? You'd need to use a few other modules, but one clock cycle should match one cycle of Kermit. Divide the clock by whatever (say, n divisions) to have Kermit output a single cycle once every n clock pulses if the clock was CVing a VCA where Kermit was sent to the VCA's audio input.

Mephitif
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mephitif » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:50 am

mt3 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't that be extracted while in Tap Tempo/Orange mode? You'd need to use a few other modules, but one clock cycle should match one cycle of Kermit. Divide the clock by whatever (say, n divisions) to have Kermit output a single cycle once every n clock pulses if the clock was CVing a VCA where Kermit was sent to the VCA's audio input.

Double Andore MK2 EOA/EOD set to Orange
Kermit mode set to orange, destination input set to red. Adjust destination amount, to have the DA MK2 envelope control the amplitude of the kermit.

luoneier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by luoneier » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 pm

mousegarden wrote:I've got so into my Kermit lately, especially now I've slimmed down my system it's even more valuable. I'm at a point where I can really see how more Harvestman modules might compliment it, I'm on a mission to substitute what other modules I have with a Double Andore and a Piston Honda. Strange how it's taken all this time and a grand tour of modular to realise I should have done this right from the beginning.
Harvestman stuff is great - I have really enjoyed using my HD2 but I'm actually thinking I need to exchange it for a Piston Honda from what I've heard; even more suitable for my purposes.

gliftor
Common Wiggler

Post by gliftor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:06 pm

If I had to choose between my HD2 and PH2, I'm pretty sure I'd keep the Hertz Donut. I can get the sounds I want more quickly using the HD's classic complex oscillator model. Not that I don't love the PH2, especially as a guitar distortion device...

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Go for it Mouse. I love love love my harvestman rack. Definitely a cold-dead-hands instrument. I'm glad I put it together sooner rather than later. The HD I was what drew me in to modular in the first place, but I got distracted with other modules for a couple years and never tried it. Finally back on track. :hihi:

Have to say I kind of prefer my HD][ to PH][, but the piston stays as it's so useful and can sound lovely.

Just to be on topic - Kermit is still a genius module. Even with a new version I wonder if additional features would be a trade-off with the current flow. Though I'm sure a 11~15hp Mk\\\ would be amazing regardless.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:54 pm

mousegarden wrote:I've got so into my Kermit lately, especially now I've slimmed down my system it's even more valuable. I'm at a point where I can really see how more Harvestman modules might compliment it, I'm on a mission to substitute what other modules I have with a Double Andore and a Piston Honda. Strange how it's taken all this time and a grand tour of modular to realise I should have done this right from the beginning.
It took me a few years to realize it too, but I built a dedicated Harvestman case and I'm super happy with it.

And I've had the same thought about a single cycle mode. That would be so awesome.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:32 am

I did have an HD at one point early on in my modular career, but I never thought it would be a success, so I sold it. As time went by I could see that I was gravitating to what I knew I would use my modular for and that was abstract noise, and that's all I've ever used it for since. I went through modules like the Noise Swash, and messing about with random sources, but they always lead to the same places and we're a bit samey.
I'm finding that Harvestman stuff is a good point between say a typical analogue complex oscillator and the pure noise stuff, plus, Harvestman has loads of character that just happens to suite me down to the ground.
For what I do, my first choice was the right choice, it's just that I didn't have the experience to realise that at the time. But that's what modular is all about, finding out what suites you, and experimenting, but it can take a long time to find your level, and it can be an expensive and time consuming journey.

merlatte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by merlatte » Sun May 06, 2018 11:21 am

I just picked up a used Kermit and it’s such a fun module. My only concern is that the pots on mine seem pretty loose and wiggle more than I’m used to compared to the other modules I have. This doesn’t seem to effect use, but I’m unsure if that’s just the typical build quality or if this Kermit might’ve got a little beat up from its previous owner?

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun May 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Mine is still solid as rock !!
merlatte wrote:I just picked up a used Kermit and it’s such a fun module. My only concern is that the pots on mine seem pretty loose and wiggle more than I’m used to compared to the other modules I have. This doesn’t seem to effect use, but I’m unsure if that’s just the typical build quality or if this Kermit might’ve got a little beat up from its previous owner?

luoneier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by luoneier » Sun May 06, 2018 5:40 pm

I think I quite want one of these but I need to decided between this or a PH MK2. I already have the HD MK2 which I think is excellent...

Regarding the pots, I really like the feel of the ones on the Donut - they feel 'fast'.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Mephitif wrote:
mt3 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't that be extracted while in Tap Tempo/Orange mode? You'd need to use a few other modules, but one clock cycle should match one cycle of Kermit. Divide the clock by whatever (say, n divisions) to have Kermit output a single cycle once every n clock pulses if the clock was CVing a VCA where Kermit was sent to the VCA's audio input.

Kermit mode set to orange, destination input set to red. Adjust destination amount, to have the DA MK2 envelope control the amplitude of the kermit.
Nice visual. How did I not see this?

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Sun May 06, 2018 6:33 pm

merlatte wrote:I just picked up a used Kermit and it’s such a fun module. My only concern is that the pots on mine seem pretty loose and wiggle more than I’m used to compared to the other modules I have. This doesn’t seem to effect use, but I’m unsure if that’s just the typical build quality or if this Kermit might’ve got a little beat up from its previous owner?
Pretty typical feel in my harvestman modules experience.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Fri May 18, 2018 10:02 am

Mephitif wrote:

:zen:

i need to try this!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:29 am

Just received mine and so far I really like it. Amount knob is sooooo handy; definitely one of the thing that pulled me towards this. Of course I got it specifically to use it as an LFO and my first patch has it as a complex oscillator of sorts. Typical.

It's my first IME module but I foresee a lot more in a rather immediate future :)

Return to “The Harvestman”