are we going to meet a Bionic Lester mk2 one day?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:29 am

Prototype picture as posted on Instagram:

I ended up grabbing the mkI after all, but so far each variation (in general) has enough differences to make them unique and not overly redundant. Looking forward to this one.
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:28 pm

So, has anyone seen/heard the very colorful Bionic Lester mark III prototype on Synthplex last weekend?

:ninja:

quadrupole
Common Wiggler

Post by quadrupole » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Here is Scott Jeager’s reply to a query on Facebook about the BL III:

“no dates yet, the units are still under development. BL3 does not use the same switched capacitor device as the mk1 because it's really expensive and in short supply. I also wanted to have independent resonance on each filter as well as full preset control. the character focus has shifted from exploitation of the original Maxim device to the appreciation of late 90s digital synthesizer filters (brightly colored paint jobs and fixed point math ONLY)”

That last part about bright paint jobs on digital synths makes me think Waldorf Microwave XT and or Q. Having a MwXT, I can say a module like that would be awesome!

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Fun with Feedback

[video][/video]

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:54 am

robotopsy wrote:Fun with Feedback

[video][/video]
Your videos are great. I feel like the reason I haven't bought an Argos Bleak yet is because I'm waiting for a video from you.

I have to expand my case options for some new IME.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:44 am

[video][/video]
Fantastic.

I hope you don't mind but I linked this in the feedback thread in the eurorack forum.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm also waiting for my Argos Bleak Tutorial :hmm:
Well I'm waiting for the next firmware... it should rectify some slew things.
I demo a small patch with the argos bleak on my Quick tips on Mixers.

monoscan wrote:

[video][/video]
Your videos are great. I feel like the reason I haven't bought an Argos Bleak yet is because I'm waiting for a video from you.

I have to expand my case options for some new IME.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:45 am

Great sounds you are getting out of the Lester - thanks for sharing your experience!

I am a bit like on the fence getting one for a small Harvestman MKI case I am building but I would want to use it for simple filtering duties on the the Hertz Donut and the Piston Honda too. I just have no idea how it sounds as a classic filter as I only find the more experimental uses showcased on video. The only other demo I know ist the Surachai one, wich is great too but leaves a lot for interpretation for its use as a common filter (with hopefully a special digital nastyness).

I can see me getting the MKIII for my main rack but somehow fell in love with The Harvestman and therefore would love a small MKI thingy... :love:

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:39 pm

I'll work on a more traditionnal approach I'll post something on soundcloud with different audio demos
Leverkusen wrote:Great sounds you are getting out of the Lester - thanks for sharing your experience!

I am a bit like on the fence getting one for a small Harvestman MKI case I am building but I would want to use it for simple filtering duties on the the Hertz Donut and the Piston Honda too. I just have no idea how it sounds as a classic filter as I only find the more experimental uses showcased on video. The only other demo I know ist the Surachai one, wich is great too but leaves a lot for interpretation for its use as a common filter (with hopefully a special digital nastyness).

I can see me getting the MKIII for my main rack but somehow fell in love with The Harvestman and therefore would love a small MKI thingy... :love:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 pm

gringostar wrote:

[video][/video]
Fantastic.

I hope you don't mind but I linked this in the feedback thread in the eurorack forum.
Make sure you link the feedback thread in the eurorack forum to complete the patch.
:party:

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Wed May 01, 2019 11:12 pm

mt3 wrote:
gringostar wrote:

[video][/video]
Fantastic.

Make sure you link the feedback thread in the eurorack forum to complete the patch.
:party:

Link

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri May 03, 2019 4:02 am

robotopsy wrote:I'll work on a more traditionnal approach I'll post something on soundcloud with different audio demos
Great - Thank you! I am looking forward to this. :hail:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sun May 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Thank you for recording ans posting this!

It seems that Bionic Lester is great for sounds/noise but not so much as the only filter in a small case for when you don't use it for harvest sounds. I think I will wait for the MKIII and then perhaps decide if I really need two of that flavour...

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sun May 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Leverkusen wrote:Thank you for recording ans posting this!

It seems that Bionic Lester is great for sounds/noise but not so much as the only filter in a small case for when you don't use it for harvest sounds. I think I will wait for the MKIII and then perhaps decide if I really need two of that flavour...
You may be right, but I find it surprisingly more “musical” than its reputation would lend you to believe (I’ve gotten some fun acid lines out of it). For example, the top end of this track is the Bionic Lester. Granted most all of my sound sources are harvestman, but I tracked this in a subtractive synth style with the PHII and PHIII into the BL as a HPF. I’m sure both will have their strengths though.

[video][/video]
― Thomas Ligotti

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 am

fuck im gonna need to get an mk1 again and an mk2

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon May 06, 2019 6:34 am

xthrasherx wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:Thank you for recording ans posting this!

You may be right, but I find it surprisingly more “musical” than its reputation would lend you to believe (I’ve gotten some fun acid lines out of it). For example, the top end of this track is the Bionic Lester. Granted most all of my sound sources are harvestman, but I tracked this in a subtractive synth style with the PHII and PHIII into the BL as a HPF. I’m sure both will have their strengths though.

[video][/video]
Hey, nice track! And I would consider the BL use in the above video by robotopsy as musical too. Perhaps it's just the traditional LP use that does not work out so nicely because of the aliasing whine. As a HP it sounds nice - and the whining might have get into dog territory then anyway. I am curious to see what then new one will offer...

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Mon May 06, 2019 10:39 am

Leverkusen wrote: Hey, nice track! And I would consider the BL use in the above video by robotopsy as musical too. Perhaps it's just the traditional LP use that does not work out so nicely because of the aliasing whine. As a HP it sounds nice - and the whining might have get into dog territory then anyway. I am curious to see what then new one will offer...
Thanks!

Honestly I haven’t used it as much as a LPF except in feedback patches where I’m sending the LP out into the other channel of the Lester. Typically my patches involve a kick and the HDIII on bass through a Metasonix RK5 LPG, so I need to keep other voices from trampling on the low end and muddying up the mix. I do quite enjoy the Lester though, but I don’t have a lot of “clean” filters in my system anyway, so your mileage may vary :hihi:
― Thomas Ligotti

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Mon May 06, 2019 1:00 pm

I haven't seen this demo posted yet, it's the original Harvestman Bionic Lester demo from 2011, and is a really good indicator of the sound.

The aliasing sound ranges from being "annoying whine" to " charming instrument idiosyncratic fret noise" to hardly being noticeable in a mix.

I like my BL, but if I wanted isolated clean lowpass sweeps it wouldn't be my choice.

https://soundcloud.com/harvestman/bioniclesterdemo
Leverkusen wrote:Great sounds you are getting out of the Lester - thanks for sharing your experience!

Return to “The Harvestman”