tyme sefari mk2 firmware update?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:13 pm

no.

electrohead
Common Wiggler

Post by electrohead » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:42 pm

is Tyme Sefari MK III in the works?
any estimated release date?

should i hold off buying Tyme Sefari MKII now?

PietroC
Common Wiggler

Post by PietroC » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Check Out IME - Volkemire's Inferno Its not a Tyme Sefari MK2 but .......

electrohead
Common Wiggler

Post by electrohead » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:08 pm

PietroC wrote:Check Out IME - Volkemire's Inferno Its not a Tyme Sefari MK2 but .......
i watched Scott’s demo at Modular8.

i don’t know what to expect from it. he used Axel Rose voice sample, but the sample itself was already distorted, barely recognizable.

granular synthesis, as i understand, takes a sample and chops it into very small particles, and then uses these parts as an oscillator to create new sounds.

what i’m after is audio glitch. feeding a clean audio sample of a speech for example, it then chops it into pieces, but not tiny unrecognizable pieces, and overlays these chopped segments with some bitcrush effect. i think this is what Tyme Sefari does, storing audio in a buffer, and then mangling it.
Last edited by electrohead on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:29 am

electrohead wrote:what i’m after is audio glitch. feeding a clean audio sample of a speech for example, it then chops it into pieces, but not tiny unrecognizable pieces, and overlays these chopped segments with some bitcrush effect. i think this is what Tyme Sefari does, storing audio in a buffer, and then mangling it.
feeding a clean audio sample of a speech Tyme Sefari YES

it then chops it into pieces Tyme Sefari NOT WITHOUT OTHER MODULES

and overlays these chopped segments with some bitcrush effect. Tyme Sefari NOT EXACTLY

storing audio in a buffer Tyme Sefari YES

and then mangling it. Tyme Sefari YES & NO

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:39 am

The TS can do what you want, but you'd need something to play back the "pieces" of audio in a random glitchy way. The Sefari doesn't chop it up, but it allows, say, a wogglebug or a sequencer to access different pieces of the audio track and play them back in some random or not-random order. Like moving a tape head back and forth, instantaneously. The size of the piece of glitch you get back depends on how fast that happens. If you have some super fast sample/hold hitting it, yeah, unrecognizable. But 16th notes from a random sequencer? Whomp. Even better if you occasionally throw a gate to the reverse input.

The bitcrush effect is due to the speed of the audio being played back. Slow that track down and it's bit-mangle-bliss. But it's also slower and lower pitched from what you originally recorded or loaded. Record at a super low bitrate and it sounds like shit (in a good way) and speeding it back up isn't really gonna make it much "better."
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

electrohead
Common Wiggler

Post by electrohead » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:21 am

my initial understanding was based on a few demos on YouTube. apparently other modules were used alongside TS to achieve those results, which I overlooked.

thank you so much for the detailed explanation!

I have a better understanding now.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:15 am

Still waiting.

Is just want for the fx loop to work better right now.

As it is I don’t put a filter between the fdb in/left out, I have to put it between.. main and main out I think? Feeding the initial signal into fdb in and listening to left out. I believe that’s the best way to achieve an fx in the loop atm.

I should make a video showing the difference. Should.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 pm

vidret wrote:Still waiting.

Is just want for the fx loop to work better right now.

As it is I don’t put a filter between the fdb in/left out, I have to put it between.. main and main out I think? Feeding the initial signal into fdb in and listening to left out. I believe that’s the best way to achieve an fx in the loop atm.

I should make a video showing the difference. Should.
thats be good, cuz I have no idea what yer talking about...
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:06 pm

It was a pre-coffee post :lol:

vidret
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by vidret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 pm

vidret wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:06 pm
It was a pre-coffee post :lol:
OK, i forgot. sorry.

the way the module suggests you should do a feedback loop (lets assume some kind of filter in there):

sound>main in
wet out>filter
filter out>feedback in

listen to mix out

If you're using a lowpass filter or similar you still end up with the first thing recorded having not gone through the loop, and therefore having not been filtered. So the first repeat is unaffected. This usually means a huge difference between sound of the first repeat and subsequent repeats (digital and noisy and then suddenly shaped by feedback loop).

So what actually works way better is:

sound(with stackable for dry sound out)>feedback in (feedback control is now input volume)
wet out>filter
filter out>main in (volume in is now feedback lvl)
listen to mix out fully DRY

I do this with a stackable so I can take the dry sound and put it wherever I want it to go, so yes, patching this way does remove the mixing option (since the the mixer now mixes between unfiltered first repeat as WET and filtered first repeat as DRY).

This way you don't have to patch the entire module in a loop to get rid of that first repeat (well technically you kind of are, since you're basically just sending your clean signal to it and multing the clean out) and it seems it reacts better to feedback like this, but that might just be me being off on the gainstaging.

Either way, this is how you want to patch it for those 'analog delays'

Return to “The Harvestman”