tyme sefari mk2 firmware update?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:30 pm

cough,

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:26 am

excited cough

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:38 am

I just hope in the re-stock that's suppose to run the A Sound of Thunder expander will get another production run.

I haven't seen one come up for sale in months and no one has them in stock.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:39 pm

I just got one but that was in tandem with a TS

abozzelli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abozzelli » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 am

At the end of the HD mk3 video Scott say that the new firmware greatly improves the sound as a delay without the need of any "obscure expander you can't find anywhere", maybe it's discontinued.
And there's a new time-domain device in the works, more info around January 2019 :hyper:

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Where is it??? :cry: :cry: :cry: :bang:

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Yes, also interested in knowing if this is still happening

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 am

I briefly talked with Gov Blacksnake at Knobcon and he certainly seemed committed to the idea then.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:15 am

Excited for this update but it will all depend on the update process. If it's Pickit, I don't think I'll do it. I ordered a Pickit and tried to update a previous module and couldn't get it to work at all. No idea if the Pickit works because I have no other use for it, and I'm not going to buy another one to find out.

I love TS2 and I still use it all the time, even with several other samplers and delays in my rack. It's one of the best as is.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm

PICkit works for updates. I have a Mac and it is a bit unwieldy and fiddly for sure, but it works. I have the PICkit3 which does the job fine.

TS2 is dope though, even as is, but I would be down for an update for sure.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Voggg wrote:Excited for this update but it will all depend on the update process. If it's Pickit, I don't think I'll do it. I ordered a Pickit and tried to update a previous module and couldn't get it to work at all. No idea if the Pickit works because I have no other use for it, and I'm not going to buy another one to find out.
If you need help updating just post here the issues and someone can lend hands.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:26 pm

waiting in the year 2019 :hail:

RoaFL
Common Wiggler

Post by RoaFL » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:28 pm

I keep holding off ordering one so I don't have to go through the updating process.
I've had a Sound of Thunder MK2 for months just sitting in the box.

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 am

maybe something at NAMM?

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 am

ThinLazy wrote:maybe something at NAMM?
lets hope so :) an update would be nice!

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 pm

I am pretty happy with the TS as is I'd be more interested in the quad modulation source, which has been hinted at in one of the recent videos. Kermit MK III probably. But the TS update would be welcome for sure.

The funny thing thing, though, the more I use it the more I do not give a crap about the clicky pops and find them charming.

RoaFL The timing is quite indeterminate, if you can even find a TS right now, I'd say just get it.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:50 am

dysonant wrote:The funny thing thing, though, the more I use it the more I do not give a crap about the clicky pops and find them charming.
Understated understatement. Unsure why "Transients = Bad" has become a universal maxim. Similarly with "Neutral > Coloration".

A recent example I involve Tyme Sefari:

I'll have many more Sefari integrations uploaded soon.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:25 am

That sounds fantastic, mt3. You know, I'd say that I was in the other camp when I first got the TS a few years ago. The reason was because it was my first "sampler" module and I had projected expectations onto to it that came from software and computers. I honestly thought I was using it wrong. It took me a while to understand and appreciate its behavior. I have been using it a lot more recently started to love the grimy, clicky untamable nature of it. This garbage can noise in this bit would not have existed without it

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 am

dysonant wrote:That sounds fantastic, mt3. You know, I'd say that I was in the other camp when I first got the TS a few years ago. The reason was because it was my first "sampler" module and I had projected expectations onto to it that came from software and computers. I honestly thought I was using it wrong. It took me a while to understand and appreciate its behavior. I have been using it a lot more recently started to love the grimy, clicky untamable nature of it. This garbage can noise in this bit would not have existed without it

Yes, noisy, especially in the quiet parts. I'm not implying Tyme Sefari is pristine, but it adds "ambiance" if you will. I uploaded this as an example:

https://soundcloud.com/mt3/kuzminorgel-sefari

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 am

I’m very okay with the noise that gets added with feedback or lower samplerate but I’ll be honest, the transient clicks bother me at times.

If anything, fixing the transients would allow me to not always use one filter in my 6U to smooth this out when it’s unwanted.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 am

mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:That sounds fantastic, mt3. You know, I'd say that I was in the other camp when I first got the TS a few years ago. The reason was because it was my first "sampler" module and I had projected expectations onto to it that came from software and computers. I honestly thought I was using it wrong. It took me a while to understand and appreciate its behavior. I have been using it a lot more recently started to love the grimy, clicky untamable nature of it. This garbage can noise in this bit would not have existed without it

Yes, noisy, especially in the quiet parts. I'm not implying Tyme Sefari is pristine, but it adds "ambiance" if you will. I uploaded this as an example:

And this clip is great!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:08 pm

vidret wrote:
mt3 wrote:

And this clip is great!
That's transients used to full effect.
I agree there's compromises, and I too oscillate between unwanted noise/unwanted transientals/wanted aberrations, depending on the application. Primarily just want to point out it's not an "all or nothing" proposition.

RoaFL
Common Wiggler

Post by RoaFL » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm

dysonant wrote:RoaFL The timing is quite indeterminate, if you can even find a TS right now, I'd say just get it.
Yeah, I wound up finding a demo at Control so I just bought it.
The update shouldn't be much worse than the Piston Honda MK2.

squarewavesurfer
Common Wiggler

Post by squarewavesurfer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 pm

RoaFL wrote:
dysonant wrote:RoaFL The timing is quite indeterminate, if you can even find a TS right now, I'd say just get it.
Yeah, I wound up finding a demo at Control so I just bought it.
The update shouldn't be much worse than the Piston Honda MK2.
It may have already been mentioned in this thread but there are apparently two different versions of the tyme sefari mkii. An earlier version has a 10pin? programmer header and ther newer version has a 6pin like the Piston Honda mkii. they make a programming adapter board but maybe it's as simple as just jumpering 6 of the 10 pins on the order tyme safaris to the 6pins of the pickit

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:54 pm

This firmware has been "coming soon" since 2015 at least. Can't we just leave this thread alone until something is actually posted?

Return to “The Harvestman”