Stilson Hammer mkII = performance sequencer!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, governor blacksnake, solidox

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:44 pm

ThinLazy wrote:Would be insta-sold if there was the option to step through 16 steps asynchronously with discrete gates rather than needing a regular clock signal, or maybe you can do this?

extra insta-sold for voltage addressed triggering of the 16 steps
Seems like you can by using the different Gate Delays. Check the video again. Also Gate delay can be CV controlled, which means you can send a Random voltage to it and keep things crazy. Additionally it has random sequence as an option so it can go even crazier. But yeah, I think what you want can be achieved via Gate Delays.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

tiny333
SONIC WARRIOR

Post by tiny333 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:45 pm

Robscorch wrote:With what I plan to do I will... :moneyburn:

There will be two people operating this patch plan. :tu:

I do like it has one onboard, but I like my Addac now that the firmware is working. So much win.
Cool :) and the 207 is so very pretty

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
ThinLazy wrote:Would be insta-sold if there was the option to step through 16 steps asynchronously with discrete gates rather than needing a regular clock signal, or maybe you can do this?

extra insta-sold for voltage addressed triggering of the 16 steps
Seems like you can by using the different Gate Delays. Check the video again. Also Gate delay can be CV controlled, which means you can send a Random voltage to it and keep things crazy. Additionally it has random sequence as an option so it can go even crazier. But yeah, I think what you want can be achieved via Gate Delays.
Thanks for the gate delay idea but Im not sure I follow you.

I'm looking to be able to say have Step 1 play for an arbitrary amount of time and send a single gate and have it step to Step 2 and sit there and so on. How would you accomplish this with a gate delay?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:07 pm

ThinLazy wrote:Thanks for the gate delay idea but Im not sure I follow you.

I'm looking to be able to say have Step 1 play for an arbitrary amount of time and send a single gate and have it step to Step 2 and sit there and so on. How would you accomplish this with a gate delay?
I see what you mean. So the question is since you're willing to send it a gate to move to the next step why not send it a gate instead of a clock to begin with?

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
ThinLazy wrote:Thanks for the gate delay idea but Im not sure I follow you.

I see what you mean. So the question is since you're willing to send it a gate to move to the next step why not send it a gate instead of a clock to begin with?
Right, the time between gates to step the sequencer would be random or non-regular. Like the random gates from a Zorlon Cannon or Turing Machine.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:39 pm

If you clock it irregularly it will do what you want. I'm missing something; how do you want it to react in the meantime ?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:52 pm

That's what I was looking for in a demo!

I'm going to wait until it's out to buy it. I'll be able to save it again by that time.

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:If you clock it irregularly it will do what you want. I'm missing something; how do you want it to react in the meantime ?

Ok the question I have is will it simply step with each irregular arriving gate, or is it going to compute the average tempo across random gates, like the tap tempo on a delay pedal, and run at that average tempo which wont line up with the random gates?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:06 pm

I'd imagine it'd take the gate how you give it. I would doubt it would average a clock.

oneano
Common Wiggler

Post by oneano » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:40 am

Extremely cool!!

Like others I am hoping to replicate the metropolis like sequencing but have 4 tracks and the ability to take it much further.

The number of bursts seems to go much higher than 8, has its own timing(awesome)

I was interested in seeing a hold, being able to hold a note for an arbitrary amount of time would be amazing. As well as a single note, followed by a delay (maybe that is what the delay is and I missed it)

All in all an amazing looking machine. It will pair VERY well with my sequential switch matrix.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:04 am

Hold would be great.

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 am

hawkfuzz wrote:I'd imagine it'd take the gate how you give it. I would doubt it would average a clock.
I hope this is true too, but the fact that you can run tracks at clock divisions make me suspicious because clock divisions are not defined for random arriving gates. Anyway we'll see once this guys comes out.

Yes, hold would be great, I agree!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:41 am

ThinLazy wrote:
hawkfuzz wrote:I'd imagine it'd take the gate how you give it. I would doubt it would average a clock.
I hope this is true too, but the fact that you can run tracks at clock divisions make me suspicious because clock divisions are not defined for random arriving gates. Anyway we'll see once this guys comes out.

Yes, hold would be great, I agree!
You're confusing divisions with multiplication. Divisors are counters and merely fire off a trigger every X number of incoming triggers. Take the RCD for example: works fine with manual gates, intermittently or not. The SCM defines its clock based on the incoming clock and doesn't handle chanes extremely fast. It entails prediction somewhat. The issue rises since the SHmk2 has tap tempo (IIRC). If the input fir clock doesn't do tap tempo it probably does what you want, although some features (like gate delay or BPM setting) might go crazy.

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:20 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote: You're confusing divisions with multiplication. Divisors are counters and merely fire off a trigger every X number of incoming triggers. Take the RCD for example: works fine with manual gates, intermittently or not. The SCM defines its clock based on the incoming clock and doesn't handle chanes extremely fast. It entails prediction somewhat. The issue rises since the SHmk2 has tap tempo (IIRC). If the input fir clock doesn't do tap tempo it probably does what you want, although some features (like gate delay or BPM setting) might go crazy.
ok cool, I think i get it. I didnt realize that dividers didnt estimate a clock frequency but just waited for a number of gates to arrive and then fired off the division. Then as you said the only problems would be multiplying, which I could just not do, and any BPM dependent functions, which would probably just go crazy.

oneano
Common Wiggler

Post by oneano » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:28 pm

So I think that I saw that the bursts are limited to 7? Why not a much higher number like 16?

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:03 pm

The maximum burst count is 32. The video demonstrates a value of 7, please watch more carefully.

The external clock input measures the timing between the last 2 clock events to determine the scale of bursts/slew/gate length and delay proportional to the tempo.

robotopsy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:58 pm

I'll buy it whatever happens :yay:
And I'll have lots of study to do with this :twisted:

tilman
Common Wiggler

Post by tilman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:55 pm

searched and did not find the info: is it possible to transpose the pitch of a sequence in semitones?

Cheers!
Tilman

oneano
Common Wiggler

Post by oneano » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:44 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:The maximum burst count is 32. The video demonstrates a value of 7, please watch more carefully.

The external clock input measures the timing between the last 2 clock events to determine the scale of bursts/slew/gate length and delay proportional to the tempo.
Thanks for this. Looking forward to the most exciting sequencer in euro.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:28 am

Didn't catch it in the video but has there been an explanation of how the faders respond when changing from one channel to the net as far as knowing what the previous values where? The display shows the values but was there a way to see what a single fader value was despite it's current location?

The 32 presets is a big plus.
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

brickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by brickman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:10 am

Is it possible to use the SHMkII as a bipolar sequencer ?

robotopsy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:46 pm

I think you might be able to do so along with some of those :yay:

http://erthenvar.com/store/tile-modules/fade-off-silver

stingray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stingray » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:43 am

I read through, did anyone find out if you could advance step on gate? Or is it run/stop only?

Just adding my +1 to the advance step on gate/trig input, I too have irregular trigger timing I would like to send it. Very important for me.

This thing is a BEAST!

spruce999
Common Wiggler

Post by spruce999 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:24 am

It would be useful if one could view 4x 4step sequences at a time. Imagine creating complex patterns in seconds.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:13 am

spruce999 wrote:It would be useful if one could view 4x 4step sequences at a time. Imagine creating complex patterns in seconds.
:despair:

It has 4 tracks. No one is stopping you from doing 4X4. I'd rather it did 16 steps instead, otherwise what's the use? It would be extremely frustrating trying to write one melodic line if I had to do 4 steps at a time instead of all 16 steps.

Return to “The Harvestman”