Stilson Hammer mkII = performance sequencer!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 pm

I'd like a clock divider on the main clock out.... so I could use that division on another sequencer to sequence the stored preset from the SHMKII's memory :oops: without using a clock divider module

I'd also hope we could augment the length of each step or have ridiculous amount of step repeat so I could use very long empty steps between the notes :omg:

and also...... ok I go to bed..... :ripbanana:

mt3 wrote:
Godphaser wrote:There is just ONE FEATURE I wish was there is clock multiplication.
Agreed.
:sb:

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm

robotopsy wrote:I'd like a clock divider on the main clock out....
Now that I've played a lil bit more with the SH, I totally agree, that would be amazing!

Vanden92
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vanden92 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:33 am

Does the burst speed value (0-63) have any relationship to repeat position? I'm guessing a speed of 31 would have a repeat every half beat and a speed of 63 repeats every beat?

Also, does anyone experience an issue where the BPM suddenly quadruples? I'll be running at 85bpm, then suddenly I'm up near 350 BPM. Perhaps I'm accidentally pressing something?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 am

Vanden92 wrote:Does the burst speed value (0-63) have any relationship to repeat position? I'm guessing a speed of 31 would have a repeat every half beat and a speed of 63 repeats every beat?

Also, does anyone experience an issue where the BPM suddenly quadruples? I'll be running at 85bpm, then suddenly I'm up near 350 BPM. Perhaps I'm accidentally pressing something?
Number of bursts, gate length, and burst speed are all correlated. Adjusting one affects the others.

Not seen the random BPM magic feature.
Have you anything plugged into clock CV? What firmware version?

Vanden92
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vanden92 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:13 am

mt3 wrote:
Vanden92 wrote:Does the burst speed value (0-63) have any relationship to repeat position? I'm guessing a speed of 31 would have a repeat every half beat and a speed of 63 repeats every beat?

Number of bursts, gate length, and burst speed are all correlated. Adjusting one affects the others.

Not seen the random BPM magic feature.
Have you anything plugged into clock CV? What firmware version?
What a headspin! Knowing that gate length has an effect should help. Is there any kind of equation or approach we can follow? Or is it a case of messing around until something sounds good?

The BPM thing is weird - nothing CVing the clock, and is running with the internal clock. Latest firmware.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Vanden92 wrote:The BPM thing is weird - nothing CVing the clock, and is running with the internal clock. Latest firmware.
It's recommended to clear/reset your saved sequence presets after firmware updates (from v1 to v2) to eliminate any quirkiness. Many issues have been solved after doing this.
THE MANUAL wrote:"Enter TEST MODE by holding down the LOAD button while turning your modular system’s power on. All the buttons should light up red, and they will turn green if you press the GATE page button.
To safely exit TEST MODE, press the TRACK 1 button. To erase the entire sequence memory, press the TRACK 4 button."

Vanden92
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vanden92 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 am

mt3 wrote:
Vanden92 wrote:The BPM thing is weird - nothing CVing the clock, and is running with the internal clock. Latest firmware.
It's recommended to clear/reset your saved sequence presets after firmware updates (from v1 to v2) to eliminate any quirkiness. Many issues have been solved after doing this.
THE MANUAL wrote:"Enter TEST MODE by holding down the LOAD button while turning your modular system’s power on. All the buttons should light up red, and they will turn green if you press the GATE page button.
To safely exit TEST MODE, press the TRACK 1 button. To erase the entire sequence memory, press the TRACK 4 button."
Thanks - I'll give this a go and report back!

mattkarmil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattkarmil » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Pretty sure the answer to this is no, but is there a way to shift a sequence? - I've programmed something in and want the whole thing to be 1/16th to the right! any hope? or shall I get my pen and paper out ? :)

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm

mattkarmil wrote:Pretty sure the answer to this is no, but is there a way to shift a sequence? - I've programmed something in and want the whole thing to be 1/16th to the right! any hope? or shall I get my pen and paper out ? :)
Answer: yes.
From page 4 of the manual:

"SEQUENCE ROTATION
Pressing the middle button in the Transport Controls section a second time will go to a new page with the text "r. 00" shown in the display. This is the Rotation page. Setting this number with the rotary encoder will cause the playback position of the track to be shifted forward in relation to the other tracks. A second LED in the slider bank will be dimly lit, showing the actual memory position that is being read from when the brighter sequencer light crosses a di erent step. To edit parameters when Rotation is active, take careful note of the position of the dim slider and edit that slider instead of the brightly lit one."

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:21 am

New firmware v2.2 was posted tonight:

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/news/16

NEW FEATURE:

Burst behavior has been overhauled again. The default INIT behavior for the BURST SPEED page is to set the time to 32nd note retrigger. You can now get audible results simply by setting a BURST COUNT on the desired step without needing to switch to the SPEED page.

Initialize your sequences for best results. This upgrade may cause slightly different behavior in older sequences that make heavy use of the burst and slide functions

BUGS FIXED:

CV response time and slide adjusted. The sequencer now has a much snappier character compared to previous 2.0 versions.

Burst random works again (access page by holding shift and pressing COUNT). The slider now sets the probability on that step of a burst retrigger event sounding on the gate output. You must set this probability for any steps that a running burst may overlap.

Burst retrigger timing now properly follows the clock divider.

Burst retrigger will NOT cause the associated CV output to update in the "CV GATE TIE MODE" unless there is also an active GATE on the same step.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:18 pm

jwise wrote:New firmware v2.2 was posted tonight:

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/news/16

NEW FEATURE:

Burst behavior has been overhauled again. The default INIT behavior for the BURST SPEED page is to set the time to 32nd note retrigger. You can now get audible results simply by setting a BURST COUNT on the desired step without needing to switch to the SPEED page.

Initialize your sequences for best results. This upgrade may cause slightly different behavior in older sequences that make heavy use of the burst and slide functions

BUGS FIXED:

CV response time and slide adjusted. The sequencer now has a much snappier character compared to previous 2.0 versions.

Burst random works again (access page by holding shift and pressing COUNT). The slider now sets the probability on that step of a burst retrigger event sounding on the gate output. You must set this probability for any steps that a running burst may overlap.

Burst retrigger timing now properly follows the clock divider.

Burst retrigger will NOT cause the associated CV output to update in the "CV GATE TIE MODE" unless there is also an active GATE on the same step.
Making this post a first-class citizen.
:party:

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks for the update Mr Harvestman!

Please please please add clock multiplication to the next one :love:

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Nevermind

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:47 pm

Don't have a rack currently to test, but a bug erasing patterns seems pretty severe.

Did you try multiple times and it erased each time? Did you initialize the sequencer after updating?

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Did not initialize the sequencer. I did initialize the patterns before starting... but not the whole unit.

I haven't been able to reproduce it.... but plan to study this a bit more while trying to have the unit sequence it's own memory. Task proving more difficult that I thought at first... will restart that comment if I either reproduce the glitch or if I can successfully sequence the memory this way.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:49 pm

On the topic of Sequencing Presets via Memory Input...

What is the rhythmic math of how this CV effects the loading of a preset? It seems that Memory CV will effect the next step. IE - cv is sent into Memory on step 4 of a 16 step sequence, and SH will activate the referenced Memory Preset on the next clock cycle (16th note).

I'm trying to use SH to self-sequence the memory. A phrase being 16 steps long, and desired to play 4 times. I use a second CV output with a clock division of 16, and send this into Memory. The changes in CV are always late though, as it loads the change after the downbeat.

Has anyone successfully use the SHmkii to sequence it's own presets via Memory input?

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:57 pm

Dare I say... this level of precision control just isn't possible. Even the transpositions from CV2 into CV1 seem to have voltage variations that don't align with controlling music on a chromatic level.

Sending quantized CV from 2 into A for a transposition of two whole steps... if the transposing value is E0 (a major third higher than the root of C0), the heard transposition of the sequence is only a step higher (a major second, or the II chord). It should be the III chord. No?

Another example... Send a CV voltage of 1.00V from CV2 into A and the transposition isn't an octave higher than the original.

update: IME confirmed that the CV inputs don't track 1v/oct. That makes it a bit more delicate when trying to program CV control over transposition or memory presets.
Last edited by soundslikejoe on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:36 pm

The assignable cv functions really can’t be done precisely in my mind. I usually will have some reference for the intervals or just listen to it and do what I find sounds the most interesting.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:40 pm

I love this module.... but after these recent experiments, I've just resigned to the fact that it's best used as an interactive response machine. It will respond to you... but can't be controlled on such a fine level... You've got to give it some space and just react/jam within approximations.

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:00 pm

I played with the new firmware last night, thanks to Auxren's super cool tutorial and WOW!

The new burst function is just incredible. Complete game changer.
I would not have thought it would change my use of this beloved module that much.

Thank you Mr Harvestman! :tu:

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 am

I'm thinking of getting a Stillson Hammer MK2. I currently sequence my rig with a Digitakt and CV.OCD but I find using the one octave keyboard on my Digitakt with my rack uninspiring.

So I was thinking of selling a few modules and getting the Stillson Hammer MK2. Would Pamela's New Workout be a good companion for it? Would I need to get any clock multipliers or dividers as I saw that these are built into the Stillson Hammer? Might be wrong here.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:44 am

I'm praying for my suggestion to include a clock divider on the main clock output of the Stillson hammer MKII in an upcoming firmware update. At the momment there's no clock division on the main clock output. So yes the Pamela would be a great companion to the Stillson. I think I read somewhere that the Stillson was also inspired by the Elektron's mentality for performance agility. So it would match the gears you own. :yay:
lordymosh wrote:I'm thinking of getting a Stillson Hammer MK2. I currently sequence my rig with a Digitakt and CV.OCD but I find using the one octave keyboard on my Digitakt with my rack uninspiring.

So I was thinking of selling a few modules and getting the Stillson Hammer MK2. Would Pamela's New Workout be a good companion for it? Would I need to get any clock multipliers or dividers as I saw that these are built into the Stillson Hammer? Might be wrong here.

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:04 am

Awesome. May have to get another case for sequencing options. :hihi: For some reason I thought 6U 84 hp would be enough...
robotopsy wrote:I'm praying for my suggestion to include a clock divider on the main clock output of the Stillson hammer MKII in an upcoming firmware update. At the momment there's no clock division on the main clock output. So yes the Pamela would be a great companion to the Stillson. I think I read somewhere that the Stillson was also inspired by the Elektron's mentality for performance agility. So it would match the gears you own. :yay:
lordymosh wrote:I'm thinking of getting a Stillson Hammer MK2. I currently sequence my rig with a Digitakt and CV.OCD but I find using the one octave keyboard on my Digitakt with my rack uninspiring.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:47 am

See the June 28 2018 posts on page 54 of this thread for some possible PNW issues with SHmkII.

jasev
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jasev » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:33 am

Sent this to Scott a few days ago but might as well ask here too. Is anyone getting this behaviour with their hammer?? Hopefully its just user error

Here goes

I'm getting some funny behaviour with my Stillson Hammer 2. I'm on latest firmware, i've cleared my sequence memory so i'm fully clear on all tracks and init all tracks too

On all four tracks of gate pages i'm getting gate information on step 4, 5 , 9 and 13 when i put an LFO into assignable controller A even when its not assigned to any page

Heres a video hope that helps to under stand

[video][/video]
Last edited by jasev on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “The Harvestman”