Stilson Hammer mkII = performance sequencer!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm

jasev wrote:I thought INNIT TRACK or INNIT GATE should clear all info on that track even if the gate slider was high or low??
Actually, now I recall a detail from the manual. INIT GATE only clears the gates but not any external CV modulations assigned by A and B.
I forgot where I saw this, but I don't see it in the 2.0 manual on quick glance.

That said, I thought the firmware update plus formatting the saved presets would have reset the CV A/B assignments.

EDIT: Just wanted to note this is a very useful feature since it is time consuming to redo CV A/B modulation assignments real-time, but assigning gates and CV to a blank track is much easier.

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Dying for an mkiii over here

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:33 pm

Epignosis567 wrote:Dying for an mkiii over here
I could go for an mkiii if it had a few more things...

1) Voltage accurate CV output (set 1v on slider, see 1v on scope)
2) CV inputs were able to track 1v/oct with precision. (would help with transpositions)
3) A few more buttons with dedicated functions and less button combo pressing.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 pm

.... AND how could I forget...

I'd love to be able to save a pattern without disrupting playback. Realtime performance for me is creating patterns live... and if I want to save one, it's going to glitch the whole sequence.

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Patterns with multiple pages would be amazing.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:35 am

Godphaser wrote:Patterns with multiple pages would be amazing.
You can do that now using Presets and a sequence into the Memory cv input. Each Preset becomes a page of the longer pattern. So P1 is page one of the pattern, P2 is page 2, etc.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:00 am

soundslikejoe wrote:
You can do that now using Presets and a sequence into the Memory cv input. Each Preset becomes a page of the longer pattern. So P1 is page one of the pattern, P2 is page 2, etc.
:tu:
PROTIP
This puts the SH mk II in line with the preset manager of the mk III modules, assuming the voltage range -> preset are identical (should be). Thus selecting preset 3 on SH mk II via CV should also select preset 3 on the Piston Honda mk III using the same CV.

IGNORE the erroneous comment. See a few posts below.
Last edited by mt3 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:25 am

mt3 wrote:
soundslikejoe wrote:
PROTIP
This puts the SH mk II in line with the preset manager of the mk III modules, assuming the voltage range -> preset are identical (should be). Thus selecting preset 3 on SH mk II via CV should also select preset 3 on the Piston Honda mk III using the same CV.
Interested to know if they use the same technique... SHmkii isn't voltage accurate in response to CV input. It's kind-of a semitone per memory location... but not exactly accurate (assuming engineering tolerances of the parts/design/limits). Responds correctly once it's dialed in though.

I'd like to know how the mkiii models respond to CV input relative to voltage accurate changes.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:51 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:
mt3 wrote:
soundslikejoe wrote:
PROTIP
Interested to know if they use the same technique... SHmkii isn't voltage accurate in response to CV input. It's kind-of a semitone per memory location... but not exactly accurate (assuming engineering tolerances of the parts/design/limits). Responds correctly once it's dialed in though.

I'd like to know how the mkiii models respond to CV input relative to voltage accurate changes.
I had a brilliant moment of dyslexia. SH mk II has 32 presets, Piston Honda mk III has 8, Argos has 16. Thus they aren't easily aligned.
Nonetheless your extended pattern cascade suggestion is an excellent tip.

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:21 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:
Wow! Thanks a lot, I didn't know that.

Just checked how it works and it has to be a continuous voltage, as I don't have another sequencer I guess I can self patch with a dedicated track.

Still wish there were multiple pages, even though this trick is really cool.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:35 pm

I use a voltage offset a lot (SSF SPO or Xaoc Samara). Instead of sequencing the patterns, I just change them by hand by turning the offset knob... but that's a little different than sequencing them to make longer patterns.

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:I use a voltage offset a lot (SSF SPO or Xaoc Samara). Instead of sequencing the patterns, I just change them by hand by turning the offset knob... but that's a little different than sequencing them to make longer patterns.
That's really dope, I'm definitely gonna try that.

Thanks again for your cool tricks!

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:33 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:I use a voltage offset a lot (SSF SPO or Xaoc Samara). Instead of sequencing the patterns, I just change them by hand by turning the offset knob... but that's a little different than sequencing them to make longer patterns.
I program a lot of cv A and B into each track and then turn the A/B knobs accordingly within a patch or song..it's amazing how many complex simultaneous effects you can change and turn on and off in real time this way..yet I haven't really seen other people doing this. It's probably the #1 reason I wouldn't use a different sequencer at this point, though.

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Wait a min.... I can’t save patterns live??? What do you mean there’s a glitch?? Seriously considering this but that’s a big let down if true. Is there any glitch when loading patterns live??

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Epignosis567 wrote:Wait a min.... I can’t save patterns live??? What do you mean there’s a glitch?? Seriously considering this but that’s a big let down if true. Is there any glitch when loading patterns live??
This is pretty common for any digital module. So far, I've noticed this on Pamela's New Workout, O_C, Temps Util, and SHmkii.

Yes... you can load patterns without any effect to payback. But... like the other digital modules, when writing to memory SHmkii will stutter the playback.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 am

Actually, I only sometimes have a 'wink' from saving while engaging the sequencer. It's not always, but it does happen sometimes. I'll have an external clock from my MPC Live and sync it to that, have some playback and get a good sequence going.

I'll hit 'SAVE' and it will still be on beat no problem and saved. Sometimes it will wink and be off at some random interval. Haven't figured out what pushes it over that it doesn't stutter vs stutter.

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 pm

So will we see an MKiii anytime soon?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Was talking to Scott recently about the firmware and he mentioned another batch is being made. I believe he also said not anytime soon recently. Even if there was a MK3 potential, it'd be several years off.

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 pm

:sadbanana:

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Epignosis567 wrote::sadbanana:
I'm kind of curious as to what's missing in the MK2 that has you looking for an upgrade? I'm asking because between the ER-101, Eloquencer, and Varigate 8+/VB combo the Stillson Hammer is still my go to sequencer.

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:56 pm

jwise wrote:I'm kind of curious as to what's missing in the MK2 that has you looking for an upgrade? I'm asking because between the ER-101, Eloquencer, and Varigate 8+/VB combo the Stillson Hammer is still my go to sequencer.
Active step on/off toggles!!
This is not the same as gate on/off!!!
Gotta get my krautrock on.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:31 pm

jwise wrote:
Epignosis567 wrote::sadbanana:
I'm kind of curious as to what's missing in the MK2 that has you looking for an upgrade? I'm asking because between the ER-101, Eloquencer, and Varigate 8+/VB combo the Stillson Hammer is still my go to sequencer.
really dont know what's missing !?!? :nana:

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Agh I’m hoping someone can help me out here. I’ve been curious about the SH2 for a while now but have not jumped on board as of yet. Currently my sequencing is handled by things like MN 2x Pressure Points + Brains + O_c in quantizer mode, 2x SQ1, or a beatstep pro (both fairly rare at this point). I don’t necessarily mind this combo, especially for improvisational type of stuff, but the SH2 can handle similar duties in less HP.

Alternatively I can pick up a Kermit or Tyme Sefari to add to my harvestman/Metasonix/WMD dominated case...

Is the SH2 worth prioritizing over other Harvestman modules (already have DA mkI, HD mkI, Polivoks VCF mkI, PH mkII, and PH mkIII).
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:04 am

xthrasherx wrote:Agh I’m hoping someone can help me out here. I’ve been curious about the SH2 for a while now but have not jumped on board as of yet. Currently my sequencing is handled by things like MN 2x Pressure Points + Brains + O_c in quantizer mode, 2x SQ1, or a beatstep pro (both fairly rare at this point). I don’t necessarily mind this combo, especially for improvisational type of stuff, but the SH2 can handle similar duties in less HP.

Alternatively I can pick up a Kermit or Tyme Sefari to add to my harvestman/Metasonix/WMD dominated case...

Is the SH2 worth prioritizing over other Harvestman modules (already have DA mkI, HD mkI, Polivoks VCF mkI, PH mkII, and PH mkIII).
WMD SSM
Tyme Sefari
SHmk2

would be my order for what you describe. I'd also think about integrating SHmk2 within your current sequencing setup rather than replacing it altogether.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:20 am

mt3 wrote: WMD SSM
Tyme Sefari
SHmk2

would be my order for what you describe. I'd also think about integrating SHmk2 within your current sequencing setup rather than replacing it altogether.
Thanks for the input. I’ll give the SSM a closer look since it’ll supposedly sync up with the new WMD trigger sequencer (which I pre-ordered) over the select bus. Trying to keep my set up to a 12u “Performance friendly” case, so as much as I’d love to have it all, I have to be selective of what makes it in. I have other cases so this is more of a self imposed rule in case I ever want to actually perform live :roll:
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

Return to “The Harvestman”