Stilson Hammer mkII = performance sequencer!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

abozzelli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abozzelli » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:46 am

Dumb question...If I send a trigger to external clock input the sequencer move forward by a step or it need at least two trigger to calculate the sequencer speed?

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:03 pm

abozzelli wrote:Dumb question...If I send a trigger to external clock input the sequencer move forward by a step or it need at least two trigger to calculate the sequencer speed?
moves by whatever trigger/gate sequence enters the clock input

abozzelli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abozzelli » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:15 am

soundslikejoe wrote:
abozzelli wrote:Dumb question...If I send a trigger to external clock input the sequencer move forward by a step or it need at least two trigger to calculate the sequencer speed?
moves by whatever trigger/gate sequence enters the clock input
Great, thanks!

rabbitfur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rabbitfur » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:49 pm

has anyone had problems with any of their sliders going out? I got one of the first units, and have started having problems with about three of my sliders. has anyone else dealt with this? Number 15 will like not respond and then only put out the top voltage, number 2's led is out and doesn't go up to full output voltage, number 5 will go up to like 80% and then back down to 33%. It's extremely aggravating and makes it unusable. :ripbanana: :ripbanana: :ripbanana: does anyone know the parts number for these sliders? :help: Thanks!

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:10 pm

*Edit* cant delete. i'm dumb. read manual

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:25 pm

I have the latest firmware.

When I hold shift+encoder to change all the sliders at once, it works perfectly in the GATE page.

But when in the CV page, it is very random when it chooses to work. Sometimes it works right away, sometimes I have to keep reholding shift+encoder / using different slider to get it working.

Anyone else getting this? Is it because the slide doesn't register until it passes the setting its holding?

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:22 pm

liquidsn wrote:I have the latest firmware.

When I hold shift+encoder to change all the sliders at once, it works perfectly in the GATE page.

But when in the CV page, it is very random when it chooses to work. Sometimes it works right away, sometimes I have to keep reholding shift+encoder / using different slider to get it working.

Anyone else getting this? Is it because the slide doesn't register until it passes the setting its holding?
Figured it out.

Let me know if I should delete these, or leave them up for other dummies like me.

Make sure you don't have CV A or B assigned to Track CVs. Even though I didn't have any CV going into the IN jacks, I forgot to turn the main knob all the way down. So it would effect those notes even though I was trying to lvl them all out.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:47 am

liquidsn wrote:
liquidsn wrote:I have the latest firmware.

Figured it out.

Let me know if I should delete these, or leave them up for other dummies like me.

Make sure you don't have CV A or B assigned to Track CVs. Even though I didn't have any CV going into the IN jacks, I forgot to turn the main knob all the way down. So it would effect those notes even though I was trying to lvl them all out.
:sb:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:33 am

Just in case someone is on the plunge - musicstore has a nice 25% deal on the Stillson Hammer MKII. It looks like it is discontinued pre-Superbooth:

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Industrial-Music-Electronics-Stillson-Hammer-MK2

fluffymuff
Common Wiggler

Post by fluffymuff » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:33 pm

i'm not sure if anyone will be able to help with this but i've just bought a second hand Stillson Hammer from a guy on MG and the second slider is completely dead, nothing, nada, it is an ex slider.

Admittedly i did buy it with the knowledge that the slider wasn't going down to the lowest value but I stupidly assumed it was just dirty and would be a simple fix (the price reflected this issue). However now I have a mostly useless module and I'm a bit stuck about what the problem might be and how to fix it, as i've given it a good clean (using contact cleaner and fader lube) but still no dice.
I have sent Scott a couple of emails but not yet had a reply as I guess he's busy getting ready for Superbooth.
I also measured the resistance across the slider and when the slider is down the resistance is nearly double the value of the other sliders (approx 100k vs 50k). but the same when up. I do a fair bit of DIY but i'm no electronics engineer so I don't really know whats going on, could the slider be the wrong type/value or is the resistance difference due to something else along the path that could be causing the issue I wonder.
So, has anyone had a similar problem or have any advice on the best course of action to diagnose the issue?

(also apologies for the long post!)

Cheers all

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:04 pm

fluffymuff wrote:I have sent Scott a couple of emails but not yet had a reply as I guess he's busy getting ready for Superbooth.
Did you write him at: support@industrialmusicelectronics.com

He is certainly preparing for Superbooth, but I'd write him again as I've heard a thing or two about emails hitting the spam bin instead of support.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:06 pm

fluffymuff wrote:i'm not sure if anyone will be able to help with this but i've just bought a second hand Stillson Hammer from a guy on MG and the second slider is completely dead, nothing, nada, it is an ex slider.

Admittedly i did buy it with the knowledge that the slider wasn't going down to the lowest value but I stupidly assumed it was just dirty and would be a simple fix (the price reflected this issue). However now I have a mostly useless module and I'm a bit stuck about what the problem might be and how to fix it, as i've given it a good clean (using contact cleaner and fader lube) but still no dice.
I have sent Scott a couple of emails but not yet had a reply as I guess he's busy getting ready for Superbooth.
I also measured the resistance across the slider and when the slider is down the resistance is nearly double the value of the other sliders (approx 100k vs 50k). but the same when up. I do a fair bit of DIY but i'm no electronics engineer so I don't really know whats going on, could the slider be the wrong type/value or is the resistance difference due to something else along the path that could be causing the issue I wonder.
So, has anyone had a similar problem or have any advice on the best course of action to diagnose the issue?

Cheers all
Not sure, but check for how other modules employing the same sliders check for said issue.
Modules like Metropolis, Malekko, etc.

fluffymuff
Common Wiggler

Post by fluffymuff » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:58 pm

jwise wrote:
fluffymuff wrote:I have sent Scott a couple of emails but not yet had a reply as I guess he's busy getting ready for Superbooth.
Did you write him at: support@industrialmusicelectronics.com

He is certainly preparing for Superbooth, but I'd write him again as I've heard a thing or two about emails hitting the spam bin instead of support.
thanks jwise, yeah thats the address i used but i'll try him again from one of other email addresses

fluffymuff
Common Wiggler

Post by fluffymuff » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:59 pm

mt3 wrote:
fluffymuff wrote:i'm not sure if anyone will be able to help with this but i've just bought a second hand Stillson Hammer from a guy on MG and the second slider is completely dead, nothing, nada, it is an ex slider.

Cheers all
Not sure, but check for how other modules employing the same sliders check for said issue.
Modules like Metropolis, Malekko, etc.
good advice mt3, i'll try that, thanks

iheartmodular
Common Wiggler

Post by iheartmodular » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:53 pm

fluffymuff

undo tiny screw below slider to make slider go all way down

then try reinstall firmware

if no good then need support

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:12 pm

Regarding what @iheartmodular shared from fluffymuff, there is an issue where if the screws at the bottom of the faceplate are too tight you'll get slider issues. Try loosening the screws before all else.

You should definitely update the firmware if you are on an old version.

fluffymuff
Common Wiggler

Post by fluffymuff » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:43 am

Thanks again guys. I have completely removed the panel so it's not the screws, but i'll try updating the firmware though I suspect the issue is hardware... unless the firmware calibrates the sliders?

laneo
Common Wiggler

Post by laneo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:32 pm

Got a new unit, on last firmware. Probably a newbie question but can´t find it anywhere (I´ve already searched for the terms "boot" "startup" "default" and found nothing): Is there any way to change default boot state to "external clock" and "run"?

Also, when I save a sequence I loose sync (doesn´t happen when I load one). Is that normal?

Thanks

fluffymuff
Common Wiggler

Post by fluffymuff » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:52 am

Just reporting back on my issue with the slider. I ended up taking it to a local synth tech and he replaced the slider and now it's working again as it should! So it was definately a hardware problem.

:tu:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:32 pm

fluffymuff wrote:Just reporting back on my issue with the slider. I ended up taking it to a local synth tech and he replaced the slider and now it's working again as it should! So it was definately a hardware problem.

:tu:
Any chance you could elaborate on this?
Unsure if I linked to it before, but the Metropolis also had the occasional dead LED slider, so I can imagine this issue to end up being more frequent over time as the modules get older.
Wondering if it were a quick, simple replacement.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:35 pm

laneo wrote:Is there any way to change default boot state to "external clock" and "run"?
From what I know, the answer to both are not possible.
laneo wrote:Also, when I save a sequence I loose sync (doesn´t happen when I load one). Is that normal?
Hmmm, are you referring to saving a sequence WHILE it is running? And then after the sequence is saved the tracks are out of sync?

laneo
Common Wiggler

Post by laneo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:29 pm

mt3 wrote:From what I know, the answer to both are not possible.
It´s kinda strange that I´ll have to hit the same 2 buttons every time I turn it on. For me it´s the only module that behaves like that.
mt3 wrote:Hmmm, are you referring to saving a sequence WHILE it is running? And then after the sequence is saved the tracks are out of sync?
Exactly like that. I´m jamming, I save the current sequence, and I have to hit stop & play on the ERM Multiclock to sync it back again. Is that supposed to be normal?

Thanks for your help.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:02 pm

laneo wrote:
mt3 wrote:Hmmm, are you referring to saving a sequence WHILE it is running? And then after the sequence is saved the tracks are out of sync?
Exactly like that. I´m jamming, I save the current sequence, and I have to hit stop & play on the ERM Multiclock to sync it back again. Is that supposed to be normal?
Ah, you didn't mention it was being Externally Clocked.
I'm not sure if it's par for the course, but I can't imagine Save/Load operations to be too reliable when a module is externally clocked. I could be wrong, but stability and reliability aren't my expectation due to past experience.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:36 am

Regardless of internal or external clocking, SHmkii will skip time when saving a preset (sequence stop during memory write). It's not as noticeable with internal clock.... as it's more like a minor stutter or late note, and there may not be other parts of the patch in sync. You will always notice when externally clocked. It's best to attempt to time the save button push so that you press it just before the downbeat, or right at the last step. If you time it right, it can save and still hit the downbeat in sync.

If it gets off sync, you can stop/restart the master clock... or you can manually hit reset to force it back on the downbeat. I've also used beat 1 gates to keep the SHmkii forced to always hit the 1. Just depends on what it's doing in the patch....

laneo
Common Wiggler

Post by laneo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 am

It would be great if after resetting it would remember the last sequence I was working on, but I can live with going back to sequence 1 every time (some modules behave like this). But having to choose external clock + run every time I turn on the modular seems odd (none of my modules act like this). I guess that if no one is asking about this, it would be a matter of time until I get used to set this up every time.
soundslikejoe wrote:It's best to attempt to time the save button push so that you press it just before the downbeat, or right at the last step. If you time it right, it can save and still hit the downbeat in sync.
I have other sequencers, and non modular drum machines, samplers, etc, running in sync at the same time. If the time gets shifted then I loose sync. Or maybe I´m not understanding your workaround?
soundslikejoe wrote:If it gets off sync, you can stop/restart the master clock... or you can manually hit reset to force it back on the downbeat. I've also used beat 1 gates to keep the SHmkii forced to always hit the 1. Just depends on what it's doing in the patch....
Manually stop/restart is not accurate enough for me. Buying a ERM Multiclock to get everything in perfect sync and manually starting a sequencer are not really compatible :)

Thanks for taking the time to help on this.

Return to “The Harvestman”