Argos Bleak - what do we know?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Post Reply
User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:20 pm

rosten wrote:Question to Argos users!

Can the four outputs be individually set to respond to Input A or B or do all four outputs receive values based on either A/B or A-b,etc?
e.g. can you quantize two different streams of CV simultaneously?

(And while I'm here. . . can you mask the scales at all?)

I've read the manual that was posted here, and my sense is that, no you cannot (to both) but I want to confirm.

Trying to figure out whether I want to go this direction or Harmonaig (or stick with my O&C/beast's chalkboard set-up)
Can you explain the scale masking? I think this was already asked...

rosten
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by rosten » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks for the answers!

On the outputs- Wow, that's awesome I didn't think you'd be able to do A, B, and A-B A+B at the same time, very cool.

About scale: I just mean can you set a "scale" for the quantizer and then restrict the notes further to only use, say, A, C, and D? (bonus if you can set specific pitches like A2, A3, A4, C2, D2, D5) and or can you program a "custom" scale?

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:49 am

rosten wrote:About scale: I just mean can you set a "scale" for the quantizer and then restrict the notes further to only use, say, A, C, and D? (bonus if you can set specific pitches like A2, A3, A4, C2, D2, D5) and or can you program a "custom" scale?
Ah, no. Custom scales or masking aren't supported.
"Masking" and "custom scales" look to be identical. Unsure how they differ.

rosten
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by rosten » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Got it. Thanks again for the info!

Fwiw, in my mind a custom scale could include "masked" western scales as well as something that was, say, microtonal, or for whatever reason offset from the twelve semitones from A-G.

Argos looks great. Definitely on my high-interest list. Thanks again.

rosten
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by rosten » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:25 am

Ok, took the leap. I'm enjoying getting to know the argos bleak and can see so much potential. Have a few questions though. Some of the behavior on my unit is . . unexpected. Not sure if it's defective or if my understanding is wrong.

When the quantizer is engaged with the root note of C or C. (C#) I just get octaves of the root note, no other notes. None of the scale selections make any difference. With any of the other root notes selected (D-b) the scales work fine.

Has anyone else encountered this? Do I have a setting wrong or am I misunderstanding what's happening?

(also: the screen displays the Major, Minor and mixolydian modes in a way that is not consistent with the manual, but that's pretty minor)

Fwiw, it arrived with firmware 1.3

Any thoughts or advice, much appreciated!

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 pm
Location: nyc

Post by liquidsn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:54 pm

*EDIT*
Nevermind. Found a video where he displays the offset. Ordered mine already. Cant wait!
*EDIT*


Quick question. 99% sure i'm getting this.

I don't see any screen shots when selecting each channel's offset to the cv pitch. Is it in Semi tones numbers? + and -? Or is it in scale notation. (c2, c2., e2, etc.)

I'm assuming semi tone numbers.

I hear the detune is +- 6 semitones, how much can you off set the channels by? Or is offsetting the channels done by octave pot and the detune pot?

User avatar
Godphaser
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Post by Godphaser » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm

Just ordered mine!

rosten
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by rosten » Fri May 03, 2019 4:37 pm

A question for Argos Bleak users:

My unit had this issue (documented above) where the C scale wouldn't really work. I updated the firmware and this seemed to fix it, but recently the problem is back. Has anyone else experienced this:
(basically when using C maj or C minor, the quantizer only quantizes to intervals of C, no notes in-between)

In addition, I'm noticing that the pitch outputs are not 100% stable and periodically have short glitches, not so much drift as total dropout for a ms here and there). I'm trying to figure out if this is just my unit, my power supply, or the module in general.

I absolutely love it besides these issues but the issues are pretty major. . . would love to hear if anyone else is having these problems.

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:43 pm

rosten wrote:A question for Argos Bleak users:

My unit had this issue (documented above) where the C scale wouldn't really work. I updated the firmware and this seemed to fix it, but recently the problem is back. Has anyone else experienced this:
(basically when using C maj or C minor, the quantizer only quantizes to intervals of C, no notes in-between)

In addition, I'm noticing that the pitch outputs are not 100% stable and periodically have short glitches, not so much drift as total dropout for a ms here and there). I'm trying to figure out if this is just my unit, my power supply, or the module in general.

I absolutely love it besides these issues but the issues are pretty major. . . would love to hear if anyone else is having these problems.
What are you plugging into its inputs?

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 pm
Location: nyc

Post by liquidsn » Tue May 07, 2019 9:43 pm

Bitwig has been something inspiring as a newbie with modular.

This seems doable with a Argos

BitWig Modular -ish

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:52 pm

liquidsn wrote:Bitwig has been something inspiring as a newbie with modular.

This seems doable with a Argos

BitWig Modular -ish
I think any attempts at making EDM voids the warranty of Argos Bleak.
:sb:

Which part of the video were you referencing? The Cthulu module?

User avatar
Godphaser
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Post by Godphaser » Sun May 12, 2019 11:52 am

Damn, my Argos Bleak came in defective...

Waiting for a return.

rosten
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by rosten » Tue May 14, 2019 5:18 pm

FWIW, the weird bugs I was having occurred with any cv inputs I plugged in: er-101, marbles, mutant brain, Chance.
But, on the (very) bright side, Scott sent me a firmware update that seems to work great so far.

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:36 pm

rosten wrote:FWIW, the weird bugs I was having occurred with any cv inputs I plugged in: er-101, marbles, mutant brain, Chance.
But, on the (very) bright side, Scott sent me a firmware update that seems to work great so far.
:sb:

User avatar
monoscan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by monoscan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am

I got pretty lucky and found a used Argos Bleak that shipped out yesterday for $250. I figured that was too good of a deal to pass up, so I guess this is my start with going MK3

Going to need a Robotospy demo video on this one, soon

User avatar
spilthyfred
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 am

Post by spilthyfred » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:09 am

Any chance of anybody doing a video on how to properly calibrate oscillators from other manufacturers to work with Argos Bleak? I was trying to use Spectrum in Ableton to determine the exact frequency but am having trouble getting my oscillators to track properly.

I currently sequence most of my CV with my Nerdseq, and have my oscillators tracking well with it, but when I try to incorporate the Argos Bleak, they seem to track differently. Is there something I am missing?

:help:

User avatar
robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 am
Location: Canada

Post by robotopsy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:57 am

I was waiting for the upcoming new firmware that seems to be delayed.
So I'm working on something for the Argos bleak and I will cover the calibration too.
Probably Zack is also working on something too.
I still got an audio demo for all 3 hertz donut s ... wanted to compare them all :bananaguitar:
Then I'm all Argos Bleak !

spilthyfred wrote:Any chance of anybody doing a video on how to properly calibrate oscillators from other manufacturers to work with Argos Bleak? I was trying to use Spectrum in Ableton to determine the exact frequency but am having trouble getting my oscillators to track properly.

I currently sequence most of my CV with my Nerdseq, and have my oscillators tracking well with it, but when I try to incorporate the Argos Bleak, they seem to track differently. Is there something I am missing?

:help:

User avatar
spilthyfred
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 am

Post by spilthyfred » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:43 am

robotopsy wrote:I was waiting for the upcoming new firmware that seems to be delayed.
So I'm working on something for the Argos bleak and I will cover the calibration too.
Probably Zack is also working on something too.
I still got an audio demo for all 3 hertz donut s ... wanted to compare them all :bananaguitar:
Then I'm all Argos Bleak
Yes! I am very much looking forward to this.

I love what the AB does, but am bummed that I cant seem to get it to send the same cv information as my main sequencer. Ideally, I would like to be able to switch back and forth between sequencing cv with the Nerdseq and the Argos Bleak without having to recalibrate my oscillators for the task. If I could manage this I would be a very happy man indeed.

User avatar
robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 am
Location: Canada

Post by robotopsy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm using this multimeter. Useful in a modular setup.
And this one can read Hz.

multimeter Klein Tools MM400

User avatar
spilthyfred
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 am

Post by spilthyfred » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:15 am

robotopsy wrote:I'm using this multimeter. Useful in a modular setup.
And this one can read Hz.

multimeter Klein Tools MM400
Awesome, I purchased one this evening

User avatar
robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 am
Location: Canada

Post by robotopsy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:12 am

Very useful
I sacrificed a pair of probe cables that I soldered to a regular cable.
So when it comes to quick calibration you want this to be fast and simple.

spilthyfred wrote:
robotopsy wrote:I'm using this multimeter. Useful in a modular setup.
And this one can read Hz.

multimeter Klein Tools MM400
Awesome, I purchased one this evening

User avatar
spilthyfred
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 am

Post by spilthyfred » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:58 am

robotopsy wrote:Very useful
I sacrificed a pair of probe cables that I soldered to a regular cable.
So when it comes to quick calibration you want this to be fast and simple.
Wisdom

User avatar
spilthyfred
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 am

Post by spilthyfred » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:49 am

robotopsy wrote:I was waiting for the upcoming new firmware that seems to be delayed.
So I'm working on something for the Argos bleak and I will cover the calibration too.
Probably Zack is also working on something too.
I still got an audio demo for all 3 hertz donut s ... wanted to compare them all :bananaguitar:
Then I'm all Argos Bleak !
Noticed you got those Hertz videos done!
Just checking in here to see if there has been any news regarding the delayed Argos firmware update? I recently picked up a Stillson Hammer MKII and am LOVING it with the Argos. I am very curious as to what the update is going to bring though..

User avatar
robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 am
Location: Canada

Post by robotopsy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:02 am

I don'T know exactly but I do hope it will rectify the slew glitch when loading a preset.

The Argos Bleak is still on my To Do list but I have too many projects at the same time.
Argos bleak
Piston Honda compare
and just got a deal with CAVISYNTH

Had to change my cam recorder too
and building another case
had some trouble with a custom circuit I need for this :doh:

spilthyfred wrote:
robotopsy wrote:I was waiting for the upcoming new firmware that seems to be delayed.
So I'm working on something for the Argos bleak and I will cover the calibration too.
Probably Zack is also working on something too.
I still got an audio demo for all 3 hertz donut s ... wanted to compare them all :bananaguitar:
Then I'm all Argos Bleak !
Noticed you got those Hertz videos done!
Just checking in here to see if there has been any news regarding the delayed Argos firmware update? I recently picked up a Stillson Hammer MKII and am LOVING it with the Argos. I am very curious as to what the update is going to bring though..

User avatar
spilthyfred
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 am

Post by spilthyfred » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:34 am

Regarding the eventual update, here are a couple things that I think would be really cool to see:

It would be awesome if there was a mode where the octave knobs controlled the semi-tone data. I often find myself wanting to transpose multiple melodies at once.

An ability to use the Slew Gate jack with CV, as to control the amount of slew sent to each slew knob rather than to just turn it on/off, would be incredible too.

Not sure how possible it would be to implement such things, but figured I would share my thoughts.

:omg:

Post Reply

Return to “The Harvestman”