Stillson Hammer MKII: Tips, Tricks, and Assists

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi damon

I don't think anyone knows what the expanders are for... but for sure if any one does I would be very interested to hear :)

lonefront
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lonefront » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:23 am

Potential need of an assist over here - could be a bug but wanted to check to see if anyone has had this happen to them.

Sometimes when I randomize a track the will gate get stuck on high. After attempting to initialize all pages the gate remains open. I've taken care to make sure I've cleared all values from the assignable pages and tried initializing the entire track to no avail. Sound like a bug or maybe I'm overlooking something.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Baddcr wrote:Hi damon

I don't think anyone knows what the expanders are for... but for sure if any one does I would be very interested to hear :)
I can only dream of that the expanders will do!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 pm

lonefront wrote:Potential need of an assist over here - could be a bug but wanted to check to see if anyone has had this happen to them.

Sometimes when I randomize a track the will gate get stuck on high. After attempting to initialize all pages the gate remains open. I've taken care to make sure I've cleared all values from the assignable pages and tried initializing the entire track to no avail. Sound like a bug or maybe I'm overlooking something.
Haven't noticed. Same gate every time?

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Would love to use a random module like Wogglebug with my SHmkII. Would I need any other modules to make the best use of this combo and why?
(Would like the voltages from WB to be in specific keys which I assume the SH can do?)
Thanks!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 pm

bradpickapiper wrote:Would love to use a random module like Wogglebug with my SHmkII. Would I need any other modules to make the best use of this combo and why?
(Would like the voltages from WB to be in specific keys which I assume the SH can do?)
Thanks!
Wogglefunk and URA would pair excellently with SHmk2.
Attach the gates to Clock IN and the LFO/VCOs to Mod A and Mod B. Adjust to taste.

Though Argos Bleak may be more appropriate for your quantization needs.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 am

mt3 wrote:
bradpickapiper wrote:Would love to use a random module like Wogglebug with my SHmkII. Would I need any other modules to make the best use of this combo and why?
Thanks!
Wogglefunk and URA would pair excellently with SHmk2.
Attach the gates to Clock IN and the LFO/VCOs to Mod A and Mod B. Adjust to taste.

Though Argos Bleak may be more appropriate for your quantization needs.

Thanks!

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:38 pm

some tips for the SH MKII

[video][/video]

guestt

Post by guestt » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:33 am

Awesome round up and amazing video as usual robotopsy

Thank you!! :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Any chance of a Robotopsy video on Argos Bleak sometime?

rustyjaw
Common Wiggler

Post by rustyjaw » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:03 pm

robotopsy wrote:some tips for the SH MKII
Fantastic, thank you!
Synth Enthusiast | Abandonment Photographer

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Glad people likes it ! :oops:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Commenting mainly to subscribe. And yes, an Argos Bleak video by anyone is overdue!

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm working slowly on it
I'v got so much trouble with my MOTU828MK3 for 3 years now
I'm waiting for a replacement hopefully soon !!! :waah:

Someone asked me about my last patch in the SHMKII 2.01 tutorial
here's something :roll:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/37106

Sinamsis wrote:Commenting mainly to subscribe. And yes, an Argos Bleak video by anyone is overdue!

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:00 pm

robotopsy wrote:I'm working slowly on it
I'v got so much trouble with my MOTU828MK3 for 3 years now
I'm waiting for a replacement hopefully soon !!! :waah:
HAVE no fear the usb3's are all coming mostly toward the end of next year. I cannot wait either I want to kill this focusrite POS I have. I might even do it for my first youtube if I ever decide to start producing vids lol. :omg:

I had a MOTU back way in the day and a MAC NEVER again. :deadbanana:

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:24 am

Sorry to hear of troubles with MOTU, I've used two with my mac and they are fine. I will try and help if possible, PM if you would like to.

Great to hear there's an Argos Bleak video in the works, I love love love the module but somehow feel I still have a way to go to understand everything :)

ChromaStatic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ChromaStatic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:19 am

I recently got a Stillson Hammer mkii from a seller on muffs and had a great time going through the manual and testing all the functions yesterday.

However I ran into a problem that is freaking me out a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion or has seen a similar issue?

Gate Out 1 just randomly stopped working. I had a sequence programmed yesterday and when I went back to work on it again in the afternoon, it wasn't sending out Gates anymore. All 4 CV Outs work fine, and all other Gate Outs still work.
'Visually' I can see the sliders going in the sequence for the gates on Gate 1, indicating the data is there, but no output.
I tried initializing Gate 1, and also the entire track they were on but that didn't work.
I did a Test Mode entire sequence reset today.

I'm concerned the unit could have malfunctioned or be damaged.

The unit is on firmware 1.8.

So also I'm wondering if updating to 2.1 could fix the issue?
But I'm concerned the output could be toasted.

I sent an email to Industrial Music Electronics earlier today, and waiting for response.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Muffs!
Electronica:
www.aetherchroma.com

Sound-art, Installation and Sculpture:
www.derekhoffend.com

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Sad to hear this. :zombie:
I have quicker response from harvestman when I contact them on facebook so I'd suggest you the same.
Never got that issue.
Hope an update could fix this for you.
I'm sure Industrial music electronics will give you good service to fix this.
Maybe you could check on the back of the module if there's any problem with the soldering there !?!?!?
I had a problem with my Evin209 got from another user, 2 channels werent working and gave it some solderin and there it worked again :roll:

ChromaStatic wrote:I recently got a Stillson Hammer mkii from a seller on muffs and had a great time going through the manual and testing all the functions yesterday.

However I ran into a problem that is freaking me out a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion or has seen a similar issue?

Gate Out 1 just randomly stopped working. I had a sequence programmed yesterday and when I went back to work on it again in the afternoon, it wasn't sending out Gates anymore. All 4 CV Outs work fine, and all other Gate Outs still work.
'Visually' I can see the sliders going in the sequence for the gates on Gate 1, indicating the data is there, but no output.
I tried initializing Gate 1, and also the entire track they were on but that didn't work.
I did a Test Mode entire sequence reset today.

I'm concerned the unit could have malfunctioned or be damaged.

The unit is on firmware 1.8.

So also I'm wondering if updating to 2.1 could fix the issue?
But I'm concerned the output could be toasted.

I sent an email to Industrial Music Electronics earlier today, and waiting for response.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Muffs!

ChromaStatic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ChromaStatic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks Robotopsy,
I did check out the back of it - the solder points are pretty tiny and I wasn't sure exactly where to look on the board, but and didn't see anything obvious, burnt or melted-looking.

:deadbanana:

I'll try messaging on Facebook as suggested. I'm also ordering a PICkit3 so i can update to 2.1 firmware.

I'd also be really happy if they were able to service it and clean it up. I'd really like to keep this long-term!
Electronica:
www.aetherchroma.com

Sound-art, Installation and Sculpture:
www.derekhoffend.com

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Phantom gates I do recall... but it was a fixed with a firmware update. I believe you could also "Save" the pattern and it would start working again (been a while, maybe memory fuzzy)

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:04 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:Phantom gates I do recall... but it was a fixed with a firmware update. I believe you could also "Save" the pattern and it would start working again (been a while, maybe memory fuzzy)
I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if this is an issue other people have had--I've been using the SH2 for everything since it came out 2 years ago, but one thing that's always annoyed me is due to being able to set a variable gate level, which can be useful, but sometimes not wanted, certain envelopes will sometimes just barely fire and/or fire without audio catching up/clipping sort of effect. Depending on the envelope and VCA I often have to go in and adjust the gate outputs per track so I don't have a bunch of annoying pops like this. Was especially an issue with the verbos multi envelope, part of why I sold it actually.

Batik Rhys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Batik Rhys » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:16 am

I wonder if anyone is able to help me with this problem I'm experiencing...

So the problem is that when my SHmk2 receives a trigger at the run input (and simultaneously, a clock at the ext. clock input), I hear the first step of the sequence but it then it immediately falls behind by 1/16 or 1 step.

I've tried everything I can think of, initially assuming it had to do with how I was resetting the module, so I sacked that off just to test and yes, even when resetting it manually, the sequence still behaves in the same way and falls behind by exactly 1 step.

To clarify, once the sequencer is running, if I change the active steps so that there is a gate on step 4, 8, 12 and 16, those steps are now perfectly on the beat! It should obviously be steps 1, 5, 9 and 13 if I want gates on the beat.

It's really bugging me, having spent a few days now ironing out sync issues and finally having Ableton, Octatrack and Pamela in perfect unison, that there's now this weird new behaviour that my SHmk2 is exhibiting.

If anyone has any ideas of how to get it to fall in line with everything else, I'd be suuuuuper grateful!!!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:40 am

Batik Rhys wrote:I wonder if anyone is able to help me with this problem I'm experiencing...

So the problem is that when my SHmk2 receives a trigger at the run input (and simultaneously, a clock at the ext. clock input), I hear the first step of the sequence but it then it immediately falls behind by 1/16 or 1 step.

I've tried everything I can think of, initially assuming it had to do with how I was resetting the module, so I sacked that off just to test and yes, even when resetting it manually, the sequence still behaves in the same way and falls behind by exactly 1 step.

To clarify, once the sequencer is running, if I change the active steps so that there is a gate on step 4, 8, 12 and 16, those steps are now perfectly on the beat! It should obviously be steps 1, 5, 9 and 13 if I want gates on the beat.

It's really bugging me, having spent a few days now ironing out sync issues and finally having Ableton, Octatrack and Pamela in perfect unison, that there's now this weird new behaviour that my SHmk2 is exhibiting.

If anyone has any ideas of how to get it to fall in line with everything else, I'd be suuuuuper grateful!!!
What firmware are you on?

Batik Rhys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Batik Rhys » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:46 pm

mt3 wrote:What firmware are you on?
Hey thanks for getting back to me (been out drinking all day because it's 32 degrees in Glasgow (WTF))

I'm on the latest firmware 2.01

Just for further detail, I have just got a CV.OCD which I am using to clock the modular. It's receiving midi from Ableton via the Octatrack midi thru (I can notice the jitter at lower bpm, but am soon gonna get some kind of solid midi clocking/transport solution)

Everything else that Pams is clocking is tight and fires off when it's supposed to and lines up perfectly with Ableton/Octa, including my other sequencer which is a voltage block.

I'm proper stumped by this. If I remove the transport cv input and just wait until bar 2, i can fire it off on the first beat of bar 2 manually and THEN it stays perfectly lined up.

Thinking it must be something to do with the type of trigger I'm sending into the run/stop??

Hmmm...

Mercutio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Mercutio » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:08 am

in the run/stop you need to send a gate... when a gate is there => the sequencer plays... no gate => no run ...

assume you are in clock internal mode...if you want to receive an external clock... put a clock in the input

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:26 am

I just updated the firmware in my SHii to 2.01, at least I think. When I turn the device on, the version number only shows for a very short time, not enough to read it well. Previously it read 1.666 for about a second or 2. Otherwise the thing seems to work normally, at least as far as I can tell, I don't really know how to use this yet. Is this normal, or do I need to try again?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Return to “The Harvestman”