Stillson Hammer MKII: Tips, Tricks, and Assists

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

atimbral
Common Wiggler

Post by atimbral » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:01 pm

sduck wrote:I just updated the firmware in my SHii to 2.01, at least I think. When I turn the device on, the version number only shows for a very short time, not enough to read it well. Previously it read 1.666 for about a second or 2. Otherwise the thing seems to work normally, at least as far as I can tell, I don't really know how to use this yet. Is this normal, or do I need to try again?
Yeah it's quick on startup for sure. But after power up you can press the Init and the Clock Mode buttons together and it will display a bit longer.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Ah, that's a relief. Everything is fine. Thanks!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

poly move
Learning to Wiggle

Post by poly move » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:01 pm

Love this thread! Thanks all for the tips.

Batik Rhys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Batik Rhys » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am

Really confused as to how to use the per-track clock divisor.

The left most button and the first 2 digits of the display are only showing me the step length of the sequence. The manual gives the same instructions for editing clock division as it does for sequence lenth which is peculiar. Does anyone know what I mean by this? I'm assuming that (as per usual) I'm just doing/not doing something obvious and daft.

Cheeeeeeers!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Batik Rhys wrote:Really confused as to how to use the per-track clock divisor.

The left most button and the first 2 digits of the display are only showing me the step length of the sequence. The manual gives the same instructions for editing clock division as it does for sequence lenth which is peculiar. Does anyone know what I mean by this? I'm assuming that (as per usual) I'm just doing/not doing something obvious and daft.

Cheeeeeeers!
Press the middle button in the TRANSPORT section.
To toggle the display between "Track Length/Scale" and "Divisions/Sequence Step Mode" press the track number button in the TRACK SELECT section.

On my firmware, the middle button of the TRANSPORT section is red when the display shows "Track Length/Scale", and the button is off otherwise.

"Pressing the middle button in the Transport Controls section a second time will go to a new page with the text "r. 00" shown in the display."
- page 3 of the manual

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:06 am

Has anyone here by any chance tried to clock their SHmk2 directly with an Analog Rytm, or has any advice as to how one should/could go about it? :chicken:

squarewings
Learning to Wiggle

Post by squarewings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am

rob_dylan wrote:Has anyone here by any chance tried to clock their SHmk2 directly with an Analog Rytm, or has any advice as to how one should/could go about it? :chicken:
I haven't tried specifically clocking it with an Analog Rytm but have done this with an Analog 4 using a CV.OCD (Couldn't ever get the CV outs on the A4 to give out clock...), I'd imagine that would work well with the Rytm! Failing that I wonder if you could just dedicate a track on the a4 to sending the SH loud clicks at a rate it could use to clock? These days I clock an A4 and a Digitakt from a Pams New Workout using the PEXP-2 expander, things seem to be in pretty tight sync!

I recently purchased a SHMK2 and am wondering whether I've got a unit with a dead LED. The 4th track button won't ever seem to glow green, it does however light up with the other colour LEDs when the track is muted etc... Could it be that the device is just in some weird mode where this LED isn't lit or does it sound like the LED might be dead?

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 am

squarewings wrote:I haven't tried specifically clocking it with an Analog Rytm but have done this with an Analog 4 using a CV.OCD (Couldn't ever get the CV outs on the A4 to give out clock...), I'd imagine that would work well with the Rytm! Failing that I wonder if you could just dedicate a track on the a4 to sending the SH loud clicks at a rate it could use to clock? These days I clock an A4 and a Digitakt from a Pams New Workout using the PEXP-2 expander, things seem to be in pretty tight sync!

Thanks for the reply! At the moment I think it is the second option, turning one track on the Rytm into a clock source, that I'm interested in. The CV.OCD looks handy but I rather hold on to the money a bit, until I also can afford a PNW. The delivery of my SH mk2 has already been delayed two times now so it is not yet in my system. Earliest in December it seems, if there is no more delays.

Do you send the clock from your PNW straight into the CV-ins on the A4 or via the MIDI? It's a shame that there's no CV on the Rytm!

I guess, but I'm not totally sure, that with one of these cables I could use the Rytm as a master clock, provided that I sacrifice one of its tracks for clock-pulses that goes straight into the Hammer? Or would the signal be too weak to be noticed?
https://www.thomann.de/fi/doepfer_adapt ... 335_mm.htm

squarewings
Learning to Wiggle

Post by squarewings » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:46 pm

rob_dylan wrote:
Do you send the clock from your PNW straight into the CV-ins on the A4 or via the MIDI? It's a shame that there's no CV on the Rytm!
The PEXP-2 expander gives you MIDI out on a 3.5mm socket (so you can just use a 3.5mm to MIDI adapter), I use that and go straight into the A4's MIDI IN.

Regarding signal strength; I'm not sure I'm afraid. But I do highly recommend PNW with it's expanders for getting non Euro gear in sync with the other!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 am

squarewings wrote:I recently purchased a SHMK2 and am wondering whether I've got a unit with a dead LED. The 4th track button won't ever seem to glow green, it does however light up with the other colour LEDs when the track is muted etc... Could it be that the device is just in some weird mode where this LED isn't lit or does it sound like the LED might be dead?
What firmware are you on? Try updating firmware?
Press SHIFT + TRACK 4 to toggle mute.
Press INIT + TRACK 4 to reset track to a virginized state.

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:36 am

squarewings wrote:
rob_dylan wrote:
The PEXP-2 expander gives you MIDI out on a 3.5mm socket (so you can just use a 3.5mm to MIDI adapter), I use that and go straight into the A4's MIDI IN.

Regarding signal strength; I'm not sure I'm afraid. But I do highly recommend PNW with it's expanders for getting non Euro gear in sync with the other!

Thanks for the input and advice! I will definitely go the route that you are suggesting here, with the PEXP-2 expander. All good!

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 am

Bug check...

I'm assigning CV Input A to change the CV of Track 1, but it also is changing the gate outputs. I have not assigned the A-control to Gate... it's just doing it. I also can't unassign it to the Gate.

I have 8 step sequence. Want all gate to fire. Want to use Input A to change the pitch cv, but not the gate.

Can anyone else patch this to test? Seems that Input A will effect Gates regardless of assignment. (Gate light shows red while holding A button)

**** Initialized Track and works again... any idea if there is a function that associates A or B to "Red" light on Gate or other items? ****

tonymasiello
Common Wiggler

question on gate length when using clock division

Post by tonymasiello » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Hey all,

I have been having trouble generating good envelopes when I use a large clock division to generate a pad. I spent some time tonight trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I ran the gate out directly into my Mordax scope, and then back to Maths to generate an envelope and then send that back to the scope also.

What I discovered is as I increase the clock division, the length of my gate is also getting divided as a fraction of the step length. The only time this does not happen is when the gate is set to 127, then the gate will stay open for the entire step. For instance, if I have the clock division set to 2 and the gate length set to 124, then the gate will stay open for just less than half the step. Increase the clock division to four, the gate is only open for 1/4 of the step. Once I got up into really high divisions, the gate stays open so briefly, that it looks like a trigger pulse on the scope.

I read through the manual and I saw no mention of this behavior. I check the burst count and length for the four active steps, and they are all set to zero.

Anyone know if this is expected behavior, or if there is a setting I a have overlooked that might cause this. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks
-Tony

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Re: question on gate length when using clock division

Post by soundslikejoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 pm

tonymasiello wrote:Hey all,

I have been having trouble generating good envelopes when I use a large clock division to generate a pad. I spent some time tonight trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I ran the gate out directly into my Mordax scope, and then back to Maths to generate an envelope and then send that back to the scope also.

What I discovered is as I increase the clock division, the length of my gate is also getting divided as a fraction of the step length. The only time this does not happen is when the gate is set to 127, then the gate will stay open for the entire step. For instance, if I have the clock division set to 2 and the gate length set to 124, then the gate will stay open for just less than half the step. Increase the clock division to four, the gate is only open for 1/4 of the step. Once I got up into really high divisions, the gate stays open so briefly, that it looks like a trigger pulse on the scope.

I read through the manual and I saw no mention of this behavior. I check the burst count and length for the four active steps, and they are all set to zero.

Anyone know if this is expected behavior, or if there is a setting I a have overlooked that might cause this. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks
-Tony
That's interesting... but makes sense based on how the gate is designed to work at 1x clock speed. It might be worth reporting this to IME and suggest they see if it could be changed to work as [gate relative to track clock settings] instead of [gate relative to master 1x clock]

Based on your description it seems that the maximum gate length per step is 1 clock pulse of master tempo, unless set to maximum 127.... which gate is held until next step. It definitely would be more useful if it were gate length is a variable division of the track's clock pulse (/2 clock would generate a gate that is 2x master clock at setting 126).

Just add it to the list of potential tweaks. ;)

tonymasiello
Common Wiggler

Post by tonymasiello » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks Joe! I sent them an email. See what happens. I was very surprised to discover that it works this way. For high clock divisions, it really makes the gate useless. I guess for now I need to invest in a clock divider.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:11 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:Bug check...

I'm assigning CV Input A to change the CV of Track 1, but it also is changing the gate outputs. I have not assigned the A-control to Gate... it's just doing it. I also can't unassign it to the Gate.

I have 8 step sequence. Want all gate to fire. Want to use Input A to change the pitch cv, but not the gate.

Can anyone else patch this to test? Seems that Input A will effect Gates regardless of assignment. (Gate light shows red while holding A button)

**** Initialized Track and works again... any idea if there is a function that associates A or B to "Red" light on Gate or other items? ****
FYI: I didn't reproduce. Couldn't get GATE to illuminate in red.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Update alert...
STILLSON HAMMER MK2 firmware version 2.26 released. A new batch of Stillson Hammer is about to ship to dealers with this version installed.

Changing the clock division of track 1 would sometimes cause the timing of other tracks to be affected. Fixed.
Gate lengths are now properly scaled to the correct length on clock divided tracks.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:43 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:Update alert...
STILLSON HAMMER MK2 firmware version 2.26 released. A new batch of Stillson Hammer is about to ship to dealers with this version installed.

Changing the clock division of track 1 would sometimes cause the timing of other tracks to be affected. Fixed.
Gate lengths are now properly scaled to the correct length on clock divided tracks.
Thanks for the heads up.
Also noticed the Piston Honda mk III was updated too a few days ago.

https://ime-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/upl ... nFW226.zip

tonymasiello
Common Wiggler

Post by tonymasiello » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:14 am

I just updated my firmware and can confirm that it fixes the issue with gate lengths and clock divisions that I had reported earlier. Thanks to Scott for such a quick response!
soundslikejoe wrote:Update alert...

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:05 pm

I was wondering, is there any risk in using an audio rate clock source for the Stillson MkII?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Godphaser wrote:I was wondering, is there any risk in using an audio rate clock source for the Stillson MkII?
No risk. A few of us tried it, doesn't handle audiorate, sequencer freezes past 350bpm (I posted my max findings previously elsewhere).

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Ah ok, thanks!

I was hoping to use the Stillson like a Verbos Voltage Multistage.

I tried yesterday and yeah, weird results.

Mercutio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Mercutio » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to increase the number of sequence ? From 32 to 64 or more ?

And if it’s possible ... is there a way to copy the actual Rom to the new one

Cheers

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Ok, got my SH now along with a PNW + expander. When I push Start/Stop on the PNW, which is also clocking an Analog Rytm via the expander, the Rytm always start over from step 1 in the sequence whereas the SH continues from the same step it was prior to being stopped. This causes the two units to play out of sync. Is there a simple way to make the SH always resume to step 1 in the sequence after being stopped by the PNW? Use a second output on the PNW with a 1/16 gate to the SH reset-input? Or might there be an easier way, which I haven't thought of yet, to get it all to sync?

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:51 pm

rob_dylan wrote:Use a second output on the PNW with a 1/16 gate to the SH reset-input?
Well, this solved the problem (just writing in case someone else stumbles upon a similar situation).

Thanks, Rob! :party:

Return to “The Harvestman”