Stillson Hammer MKII: Tips, Tricks, and Assists

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:29 pm

tebs213 wrote:
And some people wonder why so many have left this forum or find it be completely repulsive? lol Why do you think it's reasonable to talk to people like that? Just because you are hiding behind a computer screen? It wasn't a personal comment, I have no idea who you are, it was a joke.
Sincerely thank you for investing the time and bearing the cognitive load in voicing your opinion as to how you would like to see the forum and in challenging, civilly, another forum member’s actions. Normally, there is an immediate appeal to authority. It is nice to see your approach in action.

As a point of correction: it is impossible to attribute a perceived or imagined drop in forum membership or engagement to a single cause.

Nonetheless, big thanks again.

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Kent wrote:
tebs213 wrote:
And some people wonder why so many have left this forum or find it be completely repulsive? lol Why do you think it's reasonable to talk to people like that? Just because you are hiding behind a computer screen? It wasn't a personal comment, I have no idea who you are, it was a joke.
Sincerely thank you for investing the time and bearing the cognitive load in voicing your opinion as to how you would like to see the forum and in challenging, civilly, another forum member’s actions. Normally, there is an immediate appeal to authority. It is nice to see your approach in action.

As a point of correction: it is impossible to attribute a perceived or imagined drop in forum membership or engagement to a single cause.

Nonetheless, big thanks again.
Your point of correction is totally fair Kent. To clarify, my point was empirical. I base that on conversations I've had over the last couple years with other fellow musicians who use electronic instruments, and from what I've consistently read on other smaller musician forums where people have gravitated as a result of the toxic atmosphere on here and Gearslutz in particular. I'm not easily offended, so I can still stand it most of the time, but I can also see why people would want to be far away from this forum regardless of the resources it might hold.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Geez... you call me a liar (made it up) and act shocked that I said "fuck you" back. Would have said similar to your face in real life too. Now you say "just kidding" ex post facto, and pretend that I'm the one who was a jerk first. Fucking puuuulease.

Edit: For the record... I find "Lick my nutsack" to be more humorous than "the guy made it up" --- so it wasn't a personal comment, I have no idea who you are, it was a joke.

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:11 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:Geez... you call me a liar (made it up) and act shocked that I said "fuck you" back. Would have said similar to your face in real life too. Now you say "just kidding" ex post facto, and pretend that I'm the one who was a jerk first. Fucking puuuulease.

Edit: For the record... I find "Lick my nutsack" to be more humorous than "the guy made it up" --- so it wasn't a personal comment, I have no idea who you are, it was a joke.
I think you are missing my point. Besides being immature and petty, communicating like this turns off a lot of people from being on this forum. It's really toxic behavior and it makes a lot of people feel uncomfortable to be on here. It particularly keeps women away, and I find it makes this forum a lot weaker.

For the record, my goal was not to imply that whoever you are is a liar (I could care less), my point was that the comment sounded more like a conspiracy theory at best than anything worth posting on here. I don't think it's great to be posting rumors that aren't directly from a source who really knows what is going on, it's not healthy for any good discourse on here. Clearly it ended up distracting from the actual point of this thread.

And with that said, I'm going to go make music now. I hope this thread goes back to being one I can learn something from again.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:20 pm

There is idealism, and then there is the reality of it. You offended me, and I reacted honestly... crass, offensive, direct... humorous in the eyes of some. I know women who would have responded in similar tounge (let's not reduce them to incapable of withstanding a bit of crude language). Your views of my response are irrelevant to my impression of your first insult. I responded honestly to your personal attack. Forums are more like crowded urban streets, it will never be a place of enlightenment or utopia. Fuck it... cest la vie.

Happy Patching!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:52 pm

[video][/video]

INDEX

00:00 - Introduction
00:24 - Basics/Overview
02:12 - Transport
04:50 - Clock
07:01 - Assignable Controllers
10:18 - Page Select
11:06 - Slide
11:33 - Delay
12:19 - Gate Probability
12:53 - Burst
14:32 - Step Repeat
15:10 - CV tricks and tips
17:31 - CV and Assignable Controllers
18:34 - Quantizer Scale Types
21:30 - Memory Section
24:29 - Memory CV
25:55 - Clock Out
26:14 - Outro

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:12 pm

mt3
Nice, thanks dude, these things are always great resources and easy ways to pick up new tips.

jasev
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jasev » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:42 am

mt3 wrote:[video][/video]

INDEX

Nice one

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19 am

[video][/video]

stillson sequencing some synths here

electrohead
Common Wiggler

Post by electrohead » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:18 pm

is Stillson Hammer MK III in the works?
any estimated release date?

should i hold off buying Stillson Hammer MKII now?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:27 pm

electrohead wrote:is Stillson Hammer MK III in the works?

no

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 pm

In general, a new version of an IME module doesn't mean "don't buy the previous version", but "hurry up and buy the previous version before they're gone".

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:59 am

A couple of thoughts.

First, he usually changes the modules significantly enough from version to version that it’s almost a completely different module. Compare the original Stillson Hammer to the MK2 for a pretty extreme example. So, if you like what it does, you shouldn’t sweat any possible obsolescence like what happens with some modules. Not to mention it appears there are multiple modules already announced that are looking like won’t be out for a while anyway, so I’d be pretty shocked if we see one available to the public, if it’s actually even really in the works yet, for quite a while.

Second, if you like what it does, and your main concern is making music or sound art and not collecting modules or trading them for profit anyway, I say go for it without a question. I still love mine, I’d argue it’s still the best sequencer out there.

electrohead
Common Wiggler

Post by electrohead » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:40 am

any thoughts on: StillsonHammer vs (VoltageBlock + Varigate) ?

I like the way the 16 sliders are oriented in SH. but any other features that makes Hammer a better choice?

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:30 pm

electrohead wrote:any thoughts on: StillsonHammer vs (VoltageBlock + Varigate) ?

I like the way the 16 sliders are oriented in SH. but any other features that makes Hammer a better choice?
can you modulate the value of each step with one of those? that to me is a standout.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Got the hammer a week ago, what a beast.

Never before has a pitch sequence and an intuitive gate pattern emerged so quickly.

I read in the manual that to change the clock faster you can do encoder hold+turn+init, but the clock knob basically does nothing(except super fine tune).

I also read somewhere (might've been in this thread?) that this was due to the reading of the knob it drifted or something?

I just wanted to say that I'd rather have a small drift and more playable clocking knob; I figure if it's gotta be exactly in tune to everything else I'll clock it. But I could be wrong and I'm doing it wrong, what say you?

I'm not one for feature request, but maybe we could choose this ourselves?

Besides that tiny bit, this thing's cray.

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 am

something i realized today, perhaps a bit boring (and maybe even mentioned before but) in this harvestman rig i've been slowing putting together, i've been missing the lack of a offset voltage (ala maths ch2&3, triatt, etc) - then it occurred to me that i had extra hammer channels not being used, so, set one channel to 2 steps with a 0-5v range, assigned a controller and boom, variable offset! kinda like driving a ferrari through a school zone, but hey

:party:

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:25 pm

jwm wrote:something i realized today, perhaps a bit boring (and maybe even mentioned before but) in this harvestman rig i've been slowing putting together, i've been missing the lack of a offset voltage (ala maths ch2&3, triatt, etc) - then it occurred to me that i had extra hammer channels not being used, so, set one channel to 2 steps with a 0-5v range, assigned a controller and boom, variable offset! kinda like driving a ferrari through a school zone, but hey

Doesn't it bother you with 2 steps moving back and forth?

I guess you can set them to the same value.
I used my voltage block the same way, but that one you could set to 1 step so they just became active faders.

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:41 pm

vidret wrote:
jwm wrote:something i realized today, perhaps a bit boring (and maybe even mentioned before but) in this harvestman rig i've been slowing putting together, i've been missing the lack of a offset voltage (ala maths ch2&3, triatt, etc) - then it occurred to me that i had extra hammer channels not being used, so, set one channel to 2 steps with a 0-5v range, assigned a controller and boom, variable offset! kinda like driving a ferrari through a school zone, but hey

Doesn't it bother you with 2 steps moving back and forth?

I guess you can set them to the same value.
I used my voltage block the same way, but that one you could set to 1 step so they just became active faders.
yeah, they are just set to the same value, so it registers as one voltage..weird i know. i would make it 1 step if the SH allowed for this..

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:21 pm

I’ve been trying to get close to a scanning kind of movement controlled externally, I guess the scanning can kind of be done with cv controlling clockspeed, but then you can’t go back and forth (hmm pendulum..).
Any similar tips/tricks?

I haven’t explored the A/B cv ins yet, maybe there’s something in there worth abusing. Any favourites here that are just instant hits? I was thinking of setting up some ratcheting/step repeats on them.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:00 am

Hello! I bought used Stillson Hammer mk2. It's awesome sequencer but i see some strange thinngs:
1. Module is blinking. Very subtile blinkingon screen, on buttons, on sliders. It is norm or some troubles with power?
2. 8v not works on CV. When my cv out in 0-8v mode and slider is full top, voltage drops to 0v. But when quantizer is on, it achieve the C7 note.
Calibration? New Firmware?
Thank you!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:20 am

temaniak wrote:1. Module is blinking. Very subtile blinkingon screen, on buttons, on sliders. It is norm or some troubles with power?
Not normal. I don't observe any blinking on my SHmk2.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 am

Here is video:

[video][/video]

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:13 am

jasev wrote:
mt3 wrote:[video][/video]

INDEX

Nice one
Yes, +++++
This is half the reason I got a Stillson, I had no idea it was this simple to manuever. :sb:

eircom
Common Wiggler

Post by eircom » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:12 pm

temaniak wrote: 2. 8v not works on CV. When my cv out in 0-8v mode and slider is full top, voltage drops to 0v. But when quantizer is on, it achieve the C7 note.
Calibration? New Firmware?
Thank you!
Can anybody here please confirm if this behavior is normal? Thanks

Return to “The Harvestman”