Stillson Hammer MkII Mac Firmware Update with MPLAB IPE

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

debolish
Common Wiggler

Post by debolish » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Success here using auxren's guide on OS X 10.12.6 using MPLAB X IDE v4.05 and XCSOURCE pickit3 clone.

You may verify your firmware version by power cycling and holding INIT + MODE (in the clock section).

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:42 pm

debolish wrote:Success here using auxren's guide on OS X 10.12.6 using MPLAB X IDE v4.05 and XCSOURCE pickit3 clone.

You may verify your firmware version by power cycling and holding INIT + MODE (in the clock section).
thanks, where is the MPLAB X IDE v4.05 software for OSX?

debolish
Common Wiggler

Post by debolish » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:07 pm

thetwlo wrote:
debolish wrote:Success here using auxren's guide on OS X 10.12.6 using MPLAB X IDE v4.05 and XCSOURCE pickit3 clone.

thanks, where is the MPLAB X IDE v4.05 software for OSX?
http://www.microchip.com/development-to ... ds-archive

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:06 pm

thanks!!!
updated! :guinness:

lonefront
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lonefront » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:23 am

Success with this guide on Windows 10! Thank you!

eewee
Common Wiggler

Post by eewee » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:23 am

auxren's instructions worked out of the box on a 2013 Macbook Pro, with OSX 10.13.3, using a PICkit 3, and Microchip's MPLAB_IPE 4.10.

And for those (like myself) that searched at east 15 minutes for how to display the version number: it's Init-Mode (in the clock section).
Why, say she now, is I not glean that one may say of thing while thing is not.
(Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire)

Arcana
Common Wiggler

Post by Arcana » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Borrowed a pickit3 and the instructions worked for me as well on Mac. I started on Windows initially but realized that the MPLAB IPE would run on Mac.

Hardest part? Trying to check the version number of the firmware! :hihi: Another poster verified it here: just turn the module on, then hold INIT and MODE.

Cobramatic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cobramatic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 am

This might help folks using a MAC and trying to do the update with the latest MPLAB software:

Had problems with Mac + PicKit3 and the latest MPLABX IPEv5.00 -
I was always getting the 'Connection Failed' note when I tried to connect the PicKit3 to the Mac.
Eventually solved it by loading the Full IDE Software (Thats the IDE AND the IPE parts of the software).
[so Auxren's advice to only load the IPE part of the program is no good for the latest software if your Pickit is not up-to-date itself.]

When I opened up IPE again it suddenly found the Picket and updated its software automatically then Viola - it was sweet!

Loaded the Hex file and 60 seconds later the Hammer was updated to 2.01 - Happy days (after an hour searching for Pickit3 mumbo jumbo on the net.....)

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Cobramatic wrote:This might help folks using a MAC and trying to do the update with the latest MPLAB software:

I was always getting the 'Connection Failed' note when I tried to connect the PicKit3 to the Mac.
Eventually solved it by loading the Full IDE Software (Thats the IDE AND the IPE parts of the software).
[so Auxren's advice to only load the IPE part of the program is no good for the latest software if your Pickit is not up-to-date itself.]

When I opened up IPE again it suddenly found the Picket and updated its software automatically then Viola - it was sweet!

Loaded the Hex file and 60 seconds later the Hammer was updated to 2.01 - Happy days (after an hour searching for Pickit3 mumbo jumbo on the net.....)
Gracias!
I updated the Pickit thread.
:party:

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks a lot Auxren!

I just updated mine and it went super smooth! :tu:

rustyjaw
Common Wiggler

Post by rustyjaw » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:12 pm

Cobramatic wrote:This might help folks using a MAC and trying to do the update with the latest MPLAB software:

FWIW, this did not work for me. I am running OS X 10.12.6 and neither MPLab 3.5 (which I'd used multiple times in the past, using OS X 10.10, to update my IME modules), nor the new 5.05 with both IPE and IDE installed would 'see' the pickit 3.

I tried multiple USB ports and nothing worked.

I eventually got it working by trying from my ancient Mac Book Air which is still running OS X 10.10, I installed MPLab (just the IPE) and it worked first try.

So something fishy is going on with MPlab and OS X 10.12.6 in my experience
Synth Enthusiast | Abandonment Photographer

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 pm

rustyjaw wrote:

FWIW, this did not work for me. I am running OS X 10.12.6 and neither MPLab 3.5 (which I'd used multiple times in the past, using OS X 10.10, to update my IME modules), nor the new 5.05 with both IPE and IDE installed would 'see' the pickit 3.

I tried multiple USB ports and nothing worked.

I eventually got it working by trying from my ancient Mac Book Air which is still running OS X 10.10, I installed MPLab (just the IPE) and it worked first try.

So something fishy is going on with MPlab and OS X 10.12.6 in my experience
Looks like I didn't post my findings in this thread...

FYI: For those using MLAB IPE v5 software, can be painful when it doesn't seem to connect/see the module for no reason. Restarting the software and reconnecting the programmer to the module a few times seems to "work".
Running OS X 10.11.6.

Zeon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zeon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:57 pm

The latest version of MPLAB IPE kept freezing on my MacBook Air (MacOS 10.13.6). I downloaded MPLAB IPE v4.05 and was able to update to the firmware (2.25) with a Picket 3.

This video has useful info:

Now back to the Hammer. What a splendid machine.
Voltmeister | voltage controlled audio manipulation

http://instagram.com/voltmeistermodular/

rustyjaw
Common Wiggler

Post by rustyjaw » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Not to beat this dead horse too thoroughly, but the only change to my system, after successfully updating firmware on multiple IME modules many times, was moving from OS X 10.10 to 10.12. Neither older versions nor the current version of MPLab would connect to the Pickit on my Mac running 10.12, after multiple attempts.

For me, the only way I could update successfully was to go back to a machine running 10.10 (in MPlab 3.3). Obviously for others 10.12 works, which is puzzling. All of this makes me think this platform (MPLab) is pretty unstable and fragile, at least on the Mac side.
Synth Enthusiast | Abandonment Photographer

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:34 pm

rustyjaw wrote:All of this makes me think this platform (MPLab) is pretty unstable and fragile, at least on the Mac side.
What used to be a few hundred Mb installation is now a few Gb. Pretty much dead giveaway where they're taking things. Can't wait to install their AOL merger software soon!

Arcana
Common Wiggler

Post by Arcana » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:59 pm

I just did this on my mac, macOS 10.13.6 using mplab v4.10. I had done this once before but today I updated the firmware for my module and a friend's using a Pickit3.

Here's the textual instructions to remind me of how to do this next time, though it's largely the same as Auxren's guide.

HOW TO UPDATE THE STILLSON HAMMER MK2
=====================================

1. The link here has more detailed instructions for Mac OS X: http://www.auxren.com/2016/07/updating- ... onics.html

2. Launch mplab_ide.app (in /Applications/microchip/mplabx/v4.10)

3. Plug the Pickit 3 into the back of the Stillson Hammer (the lights should face the left side of the module). Turn on the power to the module.

4. Connect to the device/tool.

5. Choose the source file (it'll be a .hex file) using the Browse button

6. Click "Program".

7. Wait like 2 minutes until it's done.

8. Click "Verify".

9. Wait another 2 minutes until it's done.

10. Check the version by turning on the module, then pressing INIT + MODE.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Arcana wrote:I just did this on my mac, macOS 10.13.6 using mplab v4.10. I had done this once before but today I updated the firmware for my module and a friend's using a Pickit3.

Here's the textual instructions to remind me of how to do this next time, though it's largely the same as Auxren's guide.
:tu:

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank you very much for this guide.
Some words of advice for people doing this now, don't type in the long item code, find it in the drop down menu, also verify afterwards. I had to do it 4 times before it finally worked. Was a tense couple of minutes though while I worked through stuff.

Procedure performed on a Mac running Sierra 10.12.6 and a Pickit 3

Once again thank you very much for the guide

TMister
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Stillson Hammer MkII Mac Firmware Update with MPLAB IPE

Post by TMister » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm so greatful for that post! The documentation of the pickit3 is more than worse, so that was really my rescue! Thanks!
auxren wrote:Made a little guide: http://www.auxren.com/2016/07/updating- ... onics.html

The process is very simple. I've only tried it on a Mac with a PicKit3 and a Stillson MkII. Should work the same for the other modules if you figure out what model MCU they are using.

**UPDATE and more info**
Multiple people have reported that it works using MPLAB IPE on a Windows machine.
Your rack must be powered up to do this. There are ways to power the PCU from the PicKit, but I'd just power up your module.
If you put the programmer in incorrectly (wrong orientation), you shouldn't hurt anything.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:29 am

ok, this might've been mentioned in the pickit thread but I'm gonna post this here so I could save someone else a couple of minutes:

If you get *Connection Failed* when trying to connect to your pickit3 in MPLAB IPE, this means your pickit has the wrong firmware.

There are several ways of updating it, and sometimes MPLAB can do this for you, but this was what I had to do:

1. Get and install the pickit3 programmer (http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 0v3.10.zip)

2. Plug pickit3 in via usb, use Tools->Check communication to check that you're reading it. Now click Tools->Update/Download firmware/operating system (I can't remember the exact words).

3. If it opens in the installation folder and you see a HEX file, click it.
If not, browse to the installation folder and choose it, it should be the only hex file visible in the installation folder.

4. let it update, then go to Tools-> revert to MPLAB

5. It'll revert it to a state that should allow MPLAB IPE to use it.

6. go into MPLAB, MPLAB will now download and install the new firmware for you.

Now do the rest. lol.

Return to “The Harvestman”