The Pickit Thread: Updating Firmware & Burning ROMs

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm

hmm, i though you just wrote to the rom after loading the hex file in the pickit software and writing to the rom from the software and the wav256 was for creating your own single cycle waves.
mt3 wrote:Pickit 3 should work. It basically does everything Pickit 2 does.
I think your missing ingredient is the WAV256 software to write to the ROMs.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 pm

rean1mator wrote:hmm, i though you just wrote to the rom after loading the hex file in the pickit software and writing to the rom from the software and the wav256 was for creating your own single cycle waves.
mt3 wrote:Pickit 3 should work. It basically does everything Pickit 2 does.
I think your missing ingredient is the WAV256 software to write to the ROMs.
Don't listen to me. I'm unsure.
:banana:
I haven't gone through it yet myself. It's detailed in that thread (you'll have to go through all 4 pages since there are updates and revisions).

EDIT
Looks like you're correct. Check the PH mk 1 updating manual:
http://www.theharvestman.org/1991xmanual.pdf

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:10 am

Here's Surachai's Expansion installation vid:

[video][/video]

from http://trashaudio.com/2010/04/harvestma ... on-install

"My knowledge of electronic circuitry is close to zero and this installation is only an example of how I performed mine. Your Piston Honda may be different (my display, for example is red) and should check with Harvestman before performing the installation. Responsibility and all the other stuff is not mine if you wreck your modules. With that out of the way, the installation was simple. You’ll need a 3/32″ hex screwdriver to complete the installation and you’ll need some balls to rip apart your Piston Honda knowing that you could potentially damage it.

1. On my Piston Honda, the top board wasn’t screwed down onto the spacers of the bottom board so I was able to pull it off the pins without any hardware.

2. With the supplied hardware, I used the screws and tightened the threaded spacers onto them to create a bed for the expansion board to rest on.

3. The expansion board slides onto the pins horizontally and if the screw holes on the spacers are aligned with the expansion board screw holes, then you’re set to use the remaining screws to tighten it down.

4. With the expansion properly tightened to the top board, I slid it back onto the pins and I was done.

I noticed that the bottom and top boards weren’t screwed in and that the pins were the only thing bonding it together. I don’t believe that the top and bottom boards would separate as a substantial amount of force is needed to pull them apart but I can see some people wanting to secure it down. These screws are not supplied unfortunately. The new banks sound amazing and this video doesn’t really focus on that. Next time…."

PISTON HONDA WAVEFORM EXPANDER

from http://www.theharvestman.org/pistonexpander.php

This board adds waveforms to your Piston Honda. It is compatible with both MK1 and MK2 versions.

MK1 INSTRUCTIONS

- Turn off your instrument and remove your Piston Honda from the rack.

- Find the empty screw holes on the back of the module and attach the included metal standoffs.

- Line up the expander's screw holes with the standoffs and plug the expander into the module. Secure with the additional screws.

- Plug the ROM chips into the expander, taking care to align the notch on each socket with the notch on the chip. It is not necessary to fill all sockets.

- Replace the module in the rack and turn the instrument on.

- To access the expander's waves, you must hold down the ROM SELECT button for two seconds. Once you have held the button, the numerical display will change. Use the HITHER and YON control knobs to select a letter on each display - this corresponds to a socket location on the expander. "A" and "B" are the built-in factory ROMs. The left display selects the "A" slot (for the ROM select button) and the right display selects the B slot. When you are done selecting, release the button.

MARK II INSTRUCTIONS

- Turn off your instrument and remove the Piston Honda from the rack.

- Find the standoffs on the back of the module. Plug the expander board into the module, lining up the screw holes with the standoffs. It is not necessary to fasten the board with additional screws.

- Fill all six sockets on the expander with waveform ROMs, taking care to line up the notch on the socket with the notch on the chip.

- Hold down the "MODE" button in the Morph Discontinuity section.

- While holding the button, turn the instrument's power on.

- Wait one minute while the waveforms load from the expander to the memory. They will replace ROM (Z axis) locations A-F. When the load is complete, the module will activate and function as normal.

- Remove the expander board and re-install the unit in the rack. It is not necessary to leave the expander plugged into the MK2 piston.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:19 am

And here's the firmware part you were looking for:
http://www.theharvestman.org/programmer.php

FIRMWARE AND ROM PROGRAMMER

- You need a PICKIT2 to use this device correctly. Obtain a Pickit2 programmer from an electronics dealer. It is - Microchip part number PG164120.
- Your Harvestman Digital Audio Electronics dealer may also sell them.
- Connect the Pickit to your USB port.
- Install the software on the CD, and launch it (Windows).

To burn your own Piston Honda ROMs
- Obtain the "25LC512" serial EEPROM chip in DIP package from your electronics dealer. You can also use the 25AA512 if in stock.
- Connect the Firmware Programmer header to the Pickit, lining up the triangle graphics.
- Install one of the EEPROM chips into the Programmer's socket, taking care to not bend the pins.
- From the Device Family menu, select "EEPROMS" (25xx family), then select the 25LC512.
- Use the File menu to load the HEX or BIN file for your waveform data.
- Press the Write button to send the data to the chip and wait for confirmation.
- Remove the chip from the socket when you have a success message, and install it into your - Piston Honda expander.

To Update Firmware
- Connect the module's 6-pin header to the Pickit.
- From the Tools menu, select "Check Communication", and the processor should be - correctly detected and identified.
- From the File menu, select "Import Hex" and open the firmware file you wish to upload.
- When this is done, the program should self-identify the processor type of your module.
- If it reports that the hex file is successfully loaded, push the "Write" button and wait one minute for the green Success message.
- After this, you may disconnect the module and continue using it in your system.

Note that older designs use a different programming header. The Harvestman Device Programmer adapts the Pickit to this older header. To program using this setup, plug the Pickit into the header on the black Device Programmer board. Plug the ribbon cable into the programming header on the old module. Connect the module to the modular system's power supply and turn on. If the computer reports a USB error, disconnect the ribbon cable from the module and plug it in the other way. Now, repeat the steps described above to open the hex file and write the firmware to the module.

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Yeah, read those instructions multiple times. there's something going on with the pickit software not recongizing the rom. i'm thinking it's the firmware programmer issue and/or compatibility with teh pickit? i'm pretty sure it's not the pickit since i was able to upgrade the firmware with it connected directly to the ph2.
I'm going to try to do it bypassing the programmer and using a breadboard this weekend if i have time. seems pretty straight forward.

mt3 wrote:And here's the firmware part you were looking for:
http://www.theharvestman.org/programmer.php

FIRMWARE AND ROM PROGRAMMER

- You need a PICKIT2 to use this device correctly. Obtain a Pickit2 programmer from an electronics dealer. It is - Microchip part number PG164120.
- Your Harvestman Digital Audio Electronics dealer may also sell them.

To burn your own Piston Honda ROMs
- Obtain the "25LC512" serial EEPROM chip in DIP package from your electronics dealer. You can also use the 25AA512 if in stock.
- Connect the Firmware Programmer header to the Pickit, lining up the triangle graphics.
- Install one of the EEPROM chips into the Programmer's socket, taking care to not bend the pins.
- From the Device Family menu, select "EEPROMS" (25xx family), then select the 25LC512.
- Use the File menu to load the HEX or BIN file for your waveform data.
- Press the Write button to send the data to the chip and wait for confirmation.
- Remove the chip from the socket when you have a success message, and install it into your - Piston Honda expander.

To Update Firmware
- Connect the module's 6-pin header to the Pickit.
- From the Tools menu, select "Check Communication", and the processor should be - correctly detected and identified.
- From the File menu, select "Import Hex" and open the firmware file you wish to upload.
- When this is done, the program should self-identify the processor type of your module.
- If it reports that the hex file is successfully loaded, push the "Write" button and wait one minute for the green Success message.
- After this, you may disconnect the module and continue using it in your system.

Note that older designs use a different programming header. The Harvestman Device Programmer adapts the Pickit to this older header. To program using this setup, plug the Pickit into the header on the black Device Programmer board. Plug the ribbon cable into the programming header on the old module. Connect the module to the modular system's power supply and turn on. If the computer reports a USB error, disconnect the ribbon cable from the module and plug it in the other way. Now, repeat the steps described above to open the hex file and write the firmware to the module.

bryanvick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bryanvick » Fri May 05, 2017 4:00 pm

If anyone in the Bay Area needs to borrow a Pickit3 programmer I have one. I bought it just to update my Piston Honda Mk2. I'm in the Concord area.

tappazee
Learning to Wiggle

Worked

Post by tappazee » Sat May 06, 2017 4:41 pm

for info, I've just updated a stillson to 1.8 and Auxren's instructions worked fine with a cheap Pickit3 clone. took me a while to figure you needed to have the stillson turned on though :)

TechForze
Common Wiggler

Post by TechForze » Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 am

I'm trying to update my SHMKII to 1.8 with no luck so far.
I bought a Pickit 2.
MPLab IPE 3.61 on Windows 10 doesn't recognise the pickit 2 (but is installed in windows 10)
MPLab IPE 3.61 on MacOS (latest) doesn't recognise the pickit 2 (bit is visible in device manager of OS)

So I downloaded the 2009 Pickit 2 Programmer on Windows, it finds the device, but when I select the HEX file, I get the following:

"PICkit 2 VPP voltage level error.
Check target & retry operation."

I tried to reverse the programmer; but doesn't work.

Read/Write/Verify will display the version number on the display for a second.

Now, there are several settings on this page, but what is right?
Further more, I couldn't find information about updating it this way, is it straighforward or do I have a faulty PICkit 2? (clone?)

Since the error is related to voltages I cannot continue before I got more information, thanks!

Some screenshots:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:02 am

Disting also is updated via Pickit. Check their threads maybe for possible help.

tommy.york
Common Wiggler

Post by tommy.york » Sun May 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Trying to do the 1.8 update for the Stillson Hammer mk2 from Mac OS X with a PicKit2 that I bought on Ebay.

The good news: I've gotten this to work before and updated the device to 1.666.

The bad news: right now, I'm kind of stuck. pk2cmd recognizes the shmk2, I can write to the flash memory, but once it's done, the shmk2 doesn't work. The device isn't programmed / now just starts up in with various button lit up and doesn't respond to any presses.

I'm using pk2cmd, and get this:
Thomass-MBP:PicKit2-Programmer-GUI-1.2-OSX tyork$ pk2cmd -p -m -f stillsonFW18.hex
Auto-Detect: Found part DSPIC33FJ128GP310(A).

Using PE
PICkit 2 Program Report
28-5-2017, 19:35:44
Device Type: DSPIC33FJ128GP310(A)

Program Succeeded.

Operation Succeeded
Thomass-MBP:PicKit2-Programmer-GUI-1.2-OSX tyork$
I seem to remember something about not writing to the write memory region, but can't figure it out. Flag -ME gives me an error, -MP seems to give me the same result as shown above.

Any thoughts?

tommy.york
Common Wiggler

Post by tommy.york » Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 pm

tommy.york wrote:Any thoughts?
Nevermind. Voodoo magic. It's working.

Here was the magic command line stuff that told me everything was okay, for future reference:
Thomass-MBP:PicKit2-Programmer-GUI-1.2-OSX tyork$ pk2cmd -p -k -f stillsonFW18.hex

Checksum = 28D2

Operation Succeeded
Thomass-MBP:PicKit2-Programmer-GUI-1.2-OSX tyork$ pk2cmd -p -m -k -f stillsonFW18.hex

Using PE
PICkit 2 Program Report
28-5-2017, 19:50:32

Program Succeeded.
Checksum = 28D2

Operation Succeeded
First command: check the checksum of the file. Second command: write the file, then output the checksum of what's on the device. Compare and you're set.

Anyway, I was unplugging the shmk2 to give up for the night and I think what happened was that it was finally disconnected from both the eurorack power and... the power from the PicKit2? Maybe?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:04 pm

tommy.york wrote:
tommy.york wrote:Any thoughts?
Nevermind. Voodoo magic. It's working.

Here was the magic command line stuff that told me everything was okay, for future reference:
Thomass-MBP:PicKit2-Programmer-GUI-1.2-OSX tyork$ pk2cmd -p -k -f stillsonFW18.hex

Checksum = 28D2

Operation Succeeded
Thomass-MBP:PicKit2-Programmer-GUI-1.2-OSX tyork$ pk2cmd -p -m -k -f stillsonFW18.hex

Using PE
PICkit 2 Program Report
28-5-2017, 19:50:32

Program Succeeded.
Checksum = 28D2

Operation Succeeded
First command: check the checksum of the file. Second command: write the file, then output the checksum of what's on the device. Compare and you're set.

Anyway, I was unplugging the shmk2 to give up for the night and I think what happened was that it was finally disconnected from both the eurorack power and... the power from the PicKit2? Maybe?
Oddly, had something similar happen with the PicKit 3.
The first time I connected everything the PicKit programmer couldn't be detected, which I assumed was the SHmk2 that wasn't being detected. The serendipity of random connecting and disconnecting permutations and voila, everything was speaking to each other.

ionraygun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ionraygun » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks for this information! Bought the cheap Pickit3 linked here, and got everything installed and running within minutes.

Was a little nervous and felt the actual programming part went way too quickly to have actually worked... but nothing to fear.

In the past two days I've successfully updated my Metropolis, Doepfer A157 and now the SHMKII.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:53 pm

ionraygun wrote:Thanks for this information! Bought the cheap Pickit3 linked here, and got everything installed and running within minutes.

Was a little nervous and felt the actual programming part went way too quickly to have actually worked... but nothing to fear.

In the past two days I've successfully updated my Metropolis, Doepfer A157 and now the SHMKII.
Metropolis via PicKit?

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Finally updated my stillson and honda 2 - thanks for the guide!

Question (may have come up before): When attempting to update my Donut and Zorlon I got error message pop ups when attempting to upload the firmware, saying something along the lines of "The destination device is different than expected, do you want to proceed?", to which I clicked yes, and promptly got an upload error.

No ill effects, I just assumed it meant the firmware was already up-to-date.

:confused: :despair: :sb:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:31 pm

sackley wrote:Finally updated my stillson and honda 2 - thanks for the guide!

Question (may have come up before): When attempting to update my Donut and Zorlon I got error message pop ups when attempting to upload the firmware, saying something along the lines of "The destination device is different than expected, do you want to proceed?", to which I clicked yes, and promptly got an upload error.

For HD and Zorlon I believe those are for mk 2 models.

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:07 am

mt3 wrote:
sackley wrote:Finally updated my stillson and honda 2 - thanks for the guide!

For HD and Zorlon I believe those are for mk 2 models.
Right, all Mkii I was updating. Seemed odd...

TechForze
Common Wiggler

Post by TechForze » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:30 am

TechForze wrote:I'm trying to update my SHMKII to 1.8 with no luck so far.
I bought a Pickit 2.
MPLab IPE 3.61 on Windows 10 doesn't recognise the pickit 2 (but is installed in windows 10)
MPLab IPE 3.61 on MacOS (latest) doesn't recognise the pickit 2 (bit is visible in device manager of OS)

So I downloaded the 2009 Pickit 2 Programmer on Windows, it finds the device, but when I select the HEX file, I get the following:

"PICkit 2 VPP voltage level error.
Check target & retry operation."

I tried to reverse the programmer; but doesn't work.

Read/Write/Verify will display the version number on the display for a second.

Now, there are several settings on this page, but what is right?
Further more, I couldn't find information about updating it this way, is it straighforward or do I have a faulty PICkit 2? (clone?)
Follow up: eventually I bought a Pickit 3 (20 euro, also clone) and updated the firmware to 1.8 with Auxren's Guide.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am

TechForze Any idea what was going on with the Pickit 2?

TechForze
Common Wiggler

Post by TechForze » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:54 am

mt3 Nope, maybe they forgot something in the cloning process of the Pickit2. My advice: choose the Pickit 3!

metel909
Common Wiggler

Post by metel909 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm

TechForze wrote:mt3 Nope, maybe they forgot something in the cloning process of the Pickit2. My advice: choose the Pickit 3!
I did it with pickit 2 !

viewtopic.php?t=164570&postdays=0&posto ... c&start=25

go down bit and you can find my post on here, maybe try what I did :)

Jericho
Common Wiggler

Post by Jericho » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 pm

I just want to share my experience updating the Stillson Hammer mk2 to firmware 2.0 with a pickit2 on a PC running Win7 64pro.

Using the app MPLAB IPE as suggested in some threads here did not work for me. The application couldn't detect the pickit.

I installed the old discontinued pickit2 programmer v2.61 software (found via google). If I remember right this was suggested by Harvestman in the past. The info seems to be lost with the relaunch of their website.

The detection of the pickit did work, but I run into some problems:
I had to disconnect and reconnect the usb connection after starting the application (win7). Only by doing this the app will load and appear on my screen.
Disconnecting the usb connection slowly and reconnecting it did show me a disconnected device in the status bar at first. Speeding up the reconnection of the usb cable did work for me in the end. The pickit got detected. It might be an odd usb problem on my system. I did try some different usb ports and a usb hub.

After importing the new firmware hex file the app did show an yellow warning in the status window. I did ignore that and clicked on write. Done

It took me almost 2 hours. Hope this might help some folks with a pickit2 and windows7.

Cheers

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Successfully updated with Pickit 3 on Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra)! One thing I did notice is when powering off/on the v2.0 that shows in the display only pops-up for 1 sec then disappears immediately. I remember in v1.85 the display would show the OS version for 3-4 sec before disappearing. It led me to believe something went wrong but it appears normal.

klacke
Common Wiggler

Post by klacke » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:38 am

monads wrote:Successfully updated with Pickit 3 on Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra)! One thing I did notice is when powering off/on the v2.0 that shows in the display only pops-up for 1 sec then disappears immediately. I remember in v1.85 the display would show the OS version for 3-4 sec before disappearing. It led me to believe something went wrong but it appears normal.
Same with mine after updating to v2.0.
OS version only shown for very very short time.
I used Pickit3 clone on Mac OS 10.13.
Is this normal?
Everything seems to work ok.

debolish
Common Wiggler

Post by debolish » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Success here on OS X 10.12.6 using MPLAB X IDE v4.05 and XCSOURCE pickit3 clone.

You may verify your firmware version by power cycling and holding INIT + MODE (in the clock section).

Return to “The Harvestman”