Mk III Preset Manager (on ALL mk III modules)

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Mk III Preset Manager (on ALL mk III modules)

Post by mt3 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:59 am

:harvestman:

ABOUT THE MKIII MORPHING PRESET MANAGER

All Mark III Series modules from Industrial Music Electronics come with a standard preset manager interface. This manager is the product of determined user interface research, and the successful solution to a number of modular synthesizer performance questions. The MORPHING PRESET MANAGER enables immediate control and recall of all panel parameters and significantly reduces the number of patch cords required to recreate carefully patched sounds in a live situation. It provides a new dimension of intense sonic transformation suitable for deep sound design or extended performance technique, for when you just don’t have enough cables or limbs to move the controls in the way that your imagination demands.

The interface consists of an OLED display, rotary encoder, CV input, and an attenuator control. The CV input responds to positive and negative voltages. Each module has a setting to limit the operation of the preset manager: for example, the Hertz Donut and Piston Honda oscillators’ managers can operate ONLY on the wave parameters, or on ALL controls including the frequency. The user may prefer to use the manager only as a timbral control, or also as the master pitch control in a sequenced performance. The interface and voltage thresholds are standardized across all Mark III modules, so a simple unbuffered multiple is sufficient to simultaneously drive the preset state of several modules.

PRESET MODE
When activated, the manager engages one of eight active presets. The preset may be selected by turning the encoder or by manipulating the CV input. The controls may be manipulated while this mode is active, and the module’s CV inputs will also respond. To change the data that is stored in the preset memory, hold down the encoder button while moving the control you’d like to change. The eight presets can then be stored to nonvolatile memory that will endure power-downs and firmware upgrades.

MORPH MODE
When Morph mode is active, the managed controls are put under full control of the preset. The CV inputs will still respond to external voltages. Select a “base” preset by turning the rotary encoder: its button and menu settings will become the basic setting for the morph. The Morph CV input (and the attenuator/offset knob) will then morph ALL of the managed knob/slider controls from one preset to the next, operating over the entire active memory. For example, while using a Piston Honda Mark III, imagine the three waveform morphing axes setting a point within a “cube” of waveforms. By enabling the morphing presets, you are traveling in a straight line between each of these points, navigating a 3-dimensional timbral pathway using a single control voltage. This is something that would take several channels of programmed control voltages (and much more time) to repeatably recreate without the preset manger.

OTHER CONVENIENCES
Stored presets may be recalled from nonvolatile backup at any time. The behavior of the CV input and attenuator can be set in several different ways, from the expected attenuator behavior, to offset, to triggered preset advance, to triggered random preset generation. The preset menu provides initialization and randomization functions that work on the sound even if the preset manager is not active. The random generator tactfully selects sound parameters with carefully considered probabilities and awareness of other states of the preset, resulting in a new tone that more often than not sits in a previously unexplored “sweet spot” of the module’s possibilities.

The first deployment of the MORPHING PRESET MANAGER will be at the end of March 2018 with the release of Piston Honda Mark III, with others to follow in the summer. A full video demonstration will be recorded and released as soon as the final faceplates are installed.

- from facesbookofdeath

:harvestman:

FROM THE COMMENTS THREAD BELOW THE POST

"There is a menu option for determining the initial mode of the preset manager at startup, so if you have a handful of mk3 modules set up for impending performance you won't have to mash buttons on each one to get the preset manager to wake up. The only thing you'd have to worry about would be patching up whatever signal you are using to control the preset changes."

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Really liking the idea of a morphing preset controller. Have used this sort of idea in software granular synthesis previously, and found storing multiple different sets of parameter states, then being able to navigate smoothly thru them, is a great way to go. Wish I could put 'em in cube, with my choice of preset state at each corner, but not complaining.

Really looking forward to seeing this roll out with new IME modules.

ether
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ether » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:43 pm

What I'd really love to know is if the Bionic Lester MK II is delayed because it's now being turned into a MK III.

I've had funds set a side for a BL for feels like years! :confused:

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:Really liking the idea of a morphing preset controller. Have used this sort of idea in software granular synthesis previously, and found storing multiple different sets of parameter states, then being able to navigate smoothly thru them, is a great way to go. Wish I could put 'em in cube, with my choice of preset state at each corner, but not complaining.

Really looking forward to seeing this roll out with new IME modules.
Yes, this is very close to the idea I've designed for the MK3 preset system. It takes on an entirely new feeling once the preset morph is controlling (FOR EXAMPLE) in-grain morph between different sound buffers while each parameter's random influencers are also continuously changing with the preset sweep...

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:49 pm

ether wrote:What I'd really love to know is if the Bionic Lester MK II is delayed because it's now being turned into a MK III.

henlo

ether
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ether » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:45 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:
ether wrote:What I'd really love to know is if the Bionic Lester MK II is delayed because it's now being turned into a MK III.

henlo
I’ll take that as a yes, fren.

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:22 am

Urgh!

BLmkII dropped? That's disappointing, don't really want the preset system, just want to finish off my mk][ system - don't want mkIII modules in there niggling me to upgrade the others, that would drive me potty and will stop me from buying it.

:sadbanana:

rnordac
Common Wiggler

Post by rnordac » Sat May 04, 2019 2:11 pm

I have a suggestion for an alternative way the preset cv input could respond when set to triggers. I wonder if it would be possible to have a "Trig + Attenuator" behavior, where instead of the knob by the cv input offsetting the morph/preset value (which can already kind of be achieved with the encoder), the knob could act as an attenuator to limit the range of presets that the trig will step through, so that you could use it to trigger sequences of less than 8 presets. It's already a really fun mode to use but if this would be possible that would be sick.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:01 pm

rnordac wrote:I have a suggestion for an alternative way the preset cv input could respond when set to triggers. I wonder if it would be possible to have a "Trig + Attenuator" behavior, where instead of the knob by the cv input offsetting the morph/preset value (which can already kind of be achieved with the encoder), the knob could act as an attenuator to limit the range of presets that the trig will step through, so that you could use it to trigger sequences of less than 8 presets. It's already a really fun mode to use but if this would be possible that would be sick.
Similar to how the axes respond to CV? That would require another knob to set preset offset.
Constrain the CV externally via attenuator before the Preset CV jack.

rnordac
Common Wiggler

Post by rnordac » Sun May 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Actually I mean something different, I understand if it wouldn’t be possible but i meant using the trigger input to sequence to the next preset upon a trigger received, but instead of cycling through all 8, being able to constrain that to fewer presets using the atten knob, setting the base preset with the encoder

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon May 06, 2019 4:05 pm

I believe this can be achieved with a sequencer.

rnordac
Common Wiggler

Post by rnordac » Mon May 06, 2019 8:55 pm

I know how to use a sequencer to select presets using cv, just thought this would be cool in small systems without tying up a sequencer. Since the preset manager can already be set up to step through all 8 presets with a trigger input where the cv knob acts as an offset from the encoder selection, I thought it would be cool if you could constrain that to fewer than all 8 presets. But I understand the preset manager has been thoughtfully designed and implemented so I suppose there is a good reason why this is not possible

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:46 am

rnordac wrote:Actually I mean something different, I understand if it wouldn’t be possible but i meant using the trigger input to sequence to the next preset upon a trigger received, but instead of cycling through all 8, being able to constrain that to fewer presets using the atten knob, setting the base preset with the encoder
Ah, yes. That could be implemented as another mode.
I agree better to include such utility features within the module to save having to use up other modules.

Submit it as a feature request.

PietroC
Common Wiggler

Post by PietroC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:02 am

I Don't know what people think about this

I've been thinking about MK3 presets of
Piston Honda or any other module that has Dual Inputs / Outputs ( HD not included )
Since you have 8 presets
If you would have a input / output swap like Argos Bleak Module
It would be 16 presets

Its doable now on PH with re-patching
or Mix if the opposing Oscillator is set to a subtle sound

Its just a thought ! The Presets Manager is amazing already !

:eek:

Return to “The Harvestman”