Argos Bleak - how to update firmware?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

witchbutter
Wiggling with Experience

Argos Bleak - how to update firmware?

Post by witchbutter » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:55 am

I have a hex file from the website but no idea how to load it. Do I need special hardware for this? I bought this new but somehow it doesn't have firmware 1.5.

dropthedyle
Common Wiggler

Post by dropthedyle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:52 am

yes, hardware is needeed = pickit
See that thread :
viewtopic.php?t=165472

blackryder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blackryder » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:50 pm

I would recommend you use the Pickit 3, it's super easy with that one plus the MPLab software you can download for free from Microchip.... I bought a knockoff Pickit from Amazon for like 20 bucks - it's called a kit 3.5, and worked perfectly when I updated my StillsonHammer...
The 3 doesn't send power to the chip you are programming (Pickit 2 does), so you'll need to have the module powered on for the update to take hold.

I'm about to try updating the Argos Bleak I bought secondhand, before I do I'm wondering if anybody knows how to get the firmware version to display? (I know there's a secret button combination on the SHmkii to show the current version, I'm hoping there's something similar for the AB)...

Although I guess I could just dump the latest release on there anyway... not like it would hurt anything

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 am

blackryder wrote:I would recommend you use the Pickit 3, it's super easy with that one plus the MPLab software you can download for free from Microchip.... I bought a knockoff Pickit from Amazon for like 20 bucks - it's called a kit 3.5, and worked perfectly when I updated my StillsonHammer...
The 3 doesn't send power to the chip you are programming (Pickit 2 does), so you'll need to have the module powered on for the update to take hold.

I'm about to try updating the Argos Bleak I bought secondhand, before I do I'm wondering if anybody knows how to get the firmware version to display? (I know there's a secret button combination on the SHmkii to show the current version, I'm hoping there's something similar for the AB)...

Although I guess I could just dump the latest release on there anyway... not like it would hurt anything
Page 3 of the manual:
"VERSION NUMBER DISPLAY - Hold the Rotary Encoder button and press the DESTINATION button. The version number will show in the display."

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 am

Here's the For Dummies step-by-step, no thinking involved recipe that worked for me on my Mac with a PicKit 3:

1. Determine the current firmware version:
press and hold the rotary encoder, then press the DESTINATION button
2. Ensure that the firmware download’s folder names have no spaces.
3. Attach the PicKit 3 to the module with its white arrow on the opposite side of the the module's other headers’ negative-indicated pin.
4. Launch the application mplab_ide.
5. Do File>New Project.
6. Choose “Prebuilt.”
7. Browse to the firmware's .hex file.
8. Specify the device. The device specification is the long string of numbers and letters in the readme included in the firmware download. Until you do that, the software won't find your module. The readme should contain something like, "PROCESSOR TYPE FOR PICKIT: DSPIC33FJ128GP310A"
9. Click "Finish."
10. Press the button at the top of the UI that has a downward arrow and whose popup reads, "Make and Program device (Project <ProjectName>)"

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:56 pm

blipson wrote:Here's the For Dummies step-by-step, no thinking involved recipe that worked for me on my Mac with a PicKit 3:

1. Determine the current firmware version:
press and hold the rotary encoder, then press the DESTINATION button
2. Ensure that the firmware download’s folder names have no spaces.
3. Attach the PicKit 3 to the module with its white arrow on the opposite side of the the module's other headers’ negative-indicated pin.
4. Launch the application mplab_ide.
5. Do File>New Project.
6. Choose “Prebuilt.”
7. Browse to the firmware's .hex file.
8. Specify the device. The device specification is the long string of numbers and letters in the readme included in the firmware download. Until you do that, the software won't find your module. The readme should contain something like, "PROCESSOR TYPE FOR PICKIT: DSPIC33FJ128GP310A"
9. Click "Finish."
10. Press the button at the top of the UI that has a downward arrow and whose popup reads, "Make and Program device (Project <ProjectName>)"
Updating main PickleKit thread with your info. Gracias.

Return to “The Harvestman”