HERTZ DONUT MARK III - shipping now!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
It would be handy of course - but the "soft pick up" for the sliders is more of an concern to me. Also I have some difficulties to memorize the preset save procedere without doing something wrong and don't make as much use of it as I want to.
Only remedie for that is doing it over and over a few dozen times, while not being afraid to do anything wrong.
You cant hurt the donut :)

Anyway, i just popped by to proclaim my love for the hd3.
:hobbes:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:54 pm

That's for sure - and doing things over and over again with the Donut is a lot of fun anyway!
:sb:

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Tempted to get this module to accompany my Piston Honda mk3 and double andore mk1. Looks like a good fit.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 am

autopoiesis wrote:really love this module. just a couple of things would make it perfect IMO:

- please consider adding some kind of "soft pickup" option for the sliders. it's a pretty frequent move to switch between the osc A and osc B pages, and FM index controls leaping from one value to another will always produce a VERY audible jump in timbral results. should definitely be possible to facilitate smoother adjustments to all the FM index levels across operators within a performance context by adding a soft pickup action for the sliders, when we already have the screen to show us where the slider needs to move to catch the stored value.

- please consider some kind of "auto-save current preset when module powers down" option for these mk3 modules. it could be something the owner elects to engage or not. I have too many goddamn digital modules that require manual saves in my system and I have seriously considered keeping only one IME MKIII module for this reason, but I would absolutely hate to have to let either the Piston or Donut go, or to put the new Kermit out of consideration.

both are not for everyone's preferences so menu options would be ideal, but I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting these behaviors from the module.

that is all. I hope someone from IME is listening and taking this feedback into consideration.
also wondering why in operator A/B Follow mode the pitch knob's minimum is higher than in Free mode. clearly there's no problem getting the FM and phase distortion to work with high frequency spreads (e.g. 1/8, 16x, and extremes of Free mode).

maybe to prevent the operator from "ignoring" pitches that are "too low" when the pitch CV + the operator's own offset pushes the pitch value below the minimum the module will recognize?

(if so I think it would be better for us to manage that ourselves with the operator's pitch offset knob)

it would also be nice if more frequency ratios were available in Quantized operator modes. there are 9 ratios in the multiples range and 6 ratios in the divisions range, nothing below 1/8 and nothing between 8x and 16x. it feels a little ... pre-curated, which is great when you're sending wild CV to modulate ratios, but not so great when you want to explore more.

still a great oscillator, just wondering about the decisions made on all the above !

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 pm

More frequency ratios are likely to be available in future firmware updates.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:11 pm

I don't think we can assume anything about firmware updates, unless you work for IME voggg.

and anyway, it quite possibly wouldn't happen if not requested.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Scott said it was planned a few months ago (after adding ratios in an earlier firmware update).

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 pm

thanks - I missed that !

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:55 am

It is a good Fit....
I can tell you.
2X wavetable Envelope with Crossmodulations with PHMK3 + HDMK3 = Infinite Nasty horrific beautiness.

:roll:
lordymosh wrote:Tempted to get this module to accompany my Piston Honda mk3 and double andore mk1. Looks like a good fit.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:51 pm

robotopsy wrote:It is a good Fit....
I can tell you.
2X wavetable Envelope with Crossmodulations with PHMK3 + HDMK3 = Infinite Nasty horrific beautiness.

lordymosh wrote:Tempted to get this module to accompany my Piston Honda mk3 and double andore mk1. Looks like a good fit.
Has anyone explored the Preset System across various modules?
:party:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:00 pm

mt3 wrote:
I can tell you.

Is there already a preset sync option between the MKIII modules? A preset manger like in the 200e would be nice, morphable of course... :hyper:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:39 am

Leverkusen wrote:
mt3 wrote:
I can tell you.

Is there already a preset sync option between the MKIII modules? A preset manger like in the 200e would be nice, morphable of course... :hyper:
Yes, I thought it was already in action?

Latest firmware updates improve the Preset System:
"The firmware of both Piston Honda Mark III and Hertz Donut Mark III has been updated. These updates harmonize the scaling of the preset CV input, so when using a single multed voltage to the preset CV input of several Mark III modules, the presets will switch or morph with a consistent behavior across all modules."

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:34 am

mt3 wrote:
Yes, I thought it was already in action?

Latest firmware updates improve the Preset System:
"The firmware of both Piston Honda Mark III and Hertz Donut Mark III has been updated. These updates harmonize the scaling of the preset CV input, so when using a single multed voltage to the preset CV input of several Mark III modules, the presets will switch or morph with a consistent behavior across all modules."
Ah, so we are supposed to reach that by patch cables, fair enough. I missed that somehow but also did not get into a situation where I felt the need to achieve that with the HD and PH by now.

But I just ordered a Bionic Lester a few minutes ago and switching between consistent oscillator/filter presets sounds great. Like morphing parameter locks. :love:

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:21 am

I still have not even scratched the surface of presets.

I've been having some difficulty with the Donut lately and I can't figure out why. When I'm just playing around with it I get great sounds but I've been struggling to implement it in patches in interesting ways. I think a little more planning and morphing presets might help with this.

Any advice on settings / patching for good bass lines?

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Voggg wrote: Any advice on settings / patching for good bass lines?
route each operator in roughly equal amounts to both FM and phase distortion, or about 25% more to PD than to FM. try using a non-integer frequency ratio in the /3 to x2 range for one of the operators, and something like 8x or 16x in very light amounts on the second operator. (also, you can go harder on PD with this higher-frequency operator while retaining the strength of the fundamental.) and try routing the 8x or 16x operator to very lightly FM the other operator, too.

turn up the static PD just a bit while keeping the whole FM/PD modulation index at a subtle level, with an envelope moderately applied to the mod CV input. consider running it through a low-pass filter as it will get pretty noisy.

that general neighborhood of parameters has some varieties of your classic EBM bass.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:24 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Voggg wrote: Any advice on settings / patching for good bass lines?
route each operator in roughly equal amounts to both FM and phase distortion, or about 25% more to PD than to FM.

that general neighborhood of parameters has some varieties of your classic EBM bass.
Would love to hear some examples of your described patch if you’d care to share... :tu:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: HERTZ DONUT MARK III - shipping now!

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:37 am

I finally managed to update my Donut to the 1.6 firmware hoping to get rid of the slewed v/oct input.

Unfortunately sequences of plucked tones still sound like bird songs and it is not possible to achieve bells or glass like sounds. :waah:

The Piston Honda also has this, to a slightly lesser amount though.

Does anyone know more about this? Are there plans to make the MKIII as responsive as the MKI was?

At the moment it sounds a bit odd for a modern oscillator.

:despair:

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:52 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:37 am
I finally managed to update my Donut to the 1.6 firmware hoping to get rid of the slewed v/oct input.

Unfortunately sequences of plucked tones still sound like bird songs and it is not possible to achieve bells or glass like sounds. :waah:

The Piston Honda also has this, to a slightly lesser amount though.

Does anyone know more about this? Are there plans to make the MKIII as responsive as the MKI was?

At the moment it sounds a bit odd for a modern oscillator.

:despair:
From an earlier post:
dysonant wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:18 am
dysonant wrote:Hello all, an update to my earlier post about fast envelopes.

I wrote to IME about the issue I am experiencing with the HD MKIII. I am paraphrasing the response to please forgive me if it is not entirely accurate. They have confirmed that this behavior is expected an intentional. There is somewhat heavy filtering on the CV inputs. The throughput is kept low to ensure good operation on bad power supplies. This seems to impact the sampling rate for CV inputs.

It is my personal hope that a future firmware update will find a way increase the sampling rate on the CV inputs to accommodate for very fast envelopes.
I am sure most of you know by now that a new firmware was released to address this behavior. I have tested a little bit to see if transients are improved and they certainly are. I still need to test it a bit more, but the lag is most certainly improved.
I still experience this too and it is a frustrating fact of life on an otherwise amazing module.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:05 pm

Yes, that's indeed frustrating!

Another thing is the preset input. I eventually got into sequencing presets with a trigger (trigger+offset mode) and while the PH MKIII does this quite good, the Donut doesn't. It intermittently does not play the presets but what sounds like unmodulated sine waves or at least it skips the waveshaper. The screen keeps updating as it should so. Also it is quite picky with trigger signals and does not accept short triggers that work great with the PH.

Anyone ales experiencing intermittend errors with sequencing presets on zhe Donut? Like this (it is the same with using CV instead of a trigger):

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:21 pm

After more exploration it seems to me that the whole fold and parts of the modulation section randomly shuts down and becomes totally unaccessible after more or less much activity in preset mode. Even the fold knob does not have an effect anymore. After some time without touching anything it randomly sets in again. Also before going back to normal the main pitch knob does not work anymore, but the modulator A pitch knob does directly affect the main pitch...until everything switches back to normal after a minute or so... :hmm:

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware again?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:21 pm
After more exploration it seems to me that the whole fold and parts of the modulation section randomly shuts down and becomes totally unaccessible after more or less much activity in preset mode. Even the fold knob does not have an effect anymore. After some time without touching anything it randomly sets in again. Also before going back to normal the main pitch knob does not work anymore, but the modulator A pitch knob does directly affect the main pitch...until everything switches back to normal after a minute or so... :hmm:

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware again?
I'll look into this issue and confirm if I experience it as well.

The process to downgrade firmware is identical to upgrading firmware.
Did you need a previous firmware? Which version?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:39 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:05 pm
Another thing is the preset input. I eventually got into sequencing presets with a trigger (trigger+offset mode) and while the PH MKIII does this quite good, the Donut doesn't. It intermittently does not play the presets but what sounds like unmodulated sine waves or at least it skips the waveshaper. The screen keeps updating as it should so. Also it is quite picky with trigger signals and does not accept short triggers that work great with the PH.

Anyone ales experiencing intermittend errors with sequencing presets on zhe Donut? Like this (it is the same with using CV instead of a trigger):

No issues here with sequencing presets.
Try a factory reset:
"To perform a factory reset, make sure that NO patch cables are plugged into the module. Turn the module on while holding the Preset Mode button. The menu settings, CV input calibrations, and preset data will be reset."

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 am

Thanks for the advice! It did not help though. Just to be sure (as it took me a while to eventually go through the update procedure), you are on firmware 1.6 too, aren't you?

While trying it out I noticed that just pressing the preset mode button can get it in that state of only emitting a pure sine wave and being not responsive to knob wiggling anymore, respectively having developed wrong control assignments. It then suddenly switches back to normal without touching it or sending CV after a while.

So I assume the issue is that it sometimes needs a lot of time to load a preset, like several seconds. So probably not directly connected to sequencing presets but just getting more obvious there due to the amount of changes.

:waah:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:52 am

mt3 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Sorry, I did not see your first post on this - yes, a previous firmware would be great. Just to check if it changes anything. I am not sure how many versions there were - I bought my Donut in December 2018, I think as soon as it was available here in erupe. Now I upgraded directly to 1.6. I could not find download links for previous versions on the IME site.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:52 am
mt3 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Sorry, I did not see your first post on this - yes, a previous firmware would be great. Just to check if it changes anything. I am not sure how many versions there were - I bought my Donut in December 2018, I think as soon as it was available here in erupe. Now I upgraded directly to 1.6. I could not find download links for previous versions on the IME site.
Here is version 1.5:
donutmk3v15.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Harvestman”