HERTZ DONUT MARK III - shipping now!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Post Reply
User avatar
rnordac
Common Wiggler
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:42 am
Location: Boston

Post by rnordac » Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Maybe I'm wrong about this being a new or unexpected behavior - this is a redundant post

User avatar
Arcade Sinusoid
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:57 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by Arcade Sinusoid » Wed May 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Yes just updated mine and I am getting this also. 187 Hz

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2873
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:16 pm

rnordac wrote:sorry to be that person again but I noticed a funny behavior in fw 1.5, tune the main oscillator to 188hz or higher and set the fm ratio on either operator to x16, when you introduce fm you get an unexpectedly slow modulation, like a slow lfo instead of x16 audio rate. I rebooted the module and still get this, anyone who has updated let me know if you are noticing this.

It actually sounds pretty fun but obviously you wouldn't want this happening under normal circumstances :)

edit: the other updates are really good as someone mentioned above, fm sounds great and surprisingly clear with resonance and phase distortion
I sent in a bug report for you.

User avatar
rnordac
Common Wiggler
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:42 am
Location: Boston

Post by rnordac » Wed May 22, 2019 10:24 pm

mt3 wrote:
rnordac wrote:sorry to be that person again but I noticed a funny behavior in fw 1.5, tune the main oscillator to 188hz or higher and set the fm ratio on either operator to x16, when you introduce fm you get an unexpectedly slow modulation, like a slow lfo instead of x16 audio rate. I rebooted the module and still get this, anyone who has updated let me know if you are noticing this.

It actually sounds pretty fun but obviously you wouldn't want this happening under normal circumstances :)

edit: the other updates are really good as someone mentioned above, fm sounds great and surprisingly clear with resonance and phase distortion
I sent in a bug report for you.
cool, thanks! wasn’t sure if it was a bug or if i was missing something

User avatar
rnordac
Common Wiggler
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:42 am
Location: Boston

Post by rnordac » Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 am


Voggg
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: Washington DC

Post by Voggg » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:47 pm

I spent a long time on a complex "noise" patch yesterday and then broke it down to something much simpler with better results. The sound is just Hertz Donut and Morphagene.

https://soundcloud.com/timelovr/june-3rd-noise-part-3

User avatar
dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:18 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by dysonant » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:18 am

dysonant wrote:Hello all, an update to my earlier post about fast envelopes.

I wrote to IME about the issue I am experiencing with the HD MKIII. I am paraphrasing the response to please forgive me if it is not entirely accurate. They have confirmed that this behavior is expected an intentional. There is somewhat heavy filtering on the CV inputs. The throughput is kept low to ensure good operation on bad power supplies. This seems to impact the sampling rate for CV inputs.

It is my personal hope that a future firmware update will find a way increase the sampling rate on the CV inputs to accommodate for very fast envelopes.
I am sure most of you know by now that a new firmware was released to address this behavior. I have tested a little bit to see if transients are improved and they certainly are. I still need to test it a bit more, but the lag is most certainly improved.

User avatar
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Northbay, CA

Post by Ras Thavas » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Wow, quite liked that! Would enjoy hearing more about the patch and how you manipulated it.
Voggg wrote:I spent a long time on a complex "noise" patch yesterday and then broke it down to something much simpler with better results. The sound is just Hertz Donut and Morphagene.

https://soundcloud.com/timelovr/june-3rd-noise-part-3

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: Washington DC

Post by Voggg » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:44 am

Ras Thavas wrote:Wow, quite liked that! Would enjoy hearing more about the patch and how you manipulated it.
Voggg wrote:I spent a long time on a complex "noise" patch yesterday and then broke it down to something much simpler with better results. The sound is just Hertz Donut and Morphagene.

https://soundcloud.com/timelovr/june-3rd-noise-part-3
Thanks! I started with a bigger patch that included some drum modules being manipulated (possibly Malgorithm) and fed to Morphagene. The next day there were maybe 4 seconds of stereo audio from that left in the buffer. I put the main and aux XOR out from HD into a switch controlled by the Planar button and put the out from that into Optomix. CV out from Morphagene to CV in on HD, EOS trigger out from MG to strike on Optomix, so that the sampled audio was "playing" the HD. Then I just used Planar and tweaked. I think I opened & closed the Optomix manually and then mixed the audio MG L & R with HD center.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: Washington DC

Post by Voggg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:12 pm

HD3 featuring Zuckerberg:

temaniak
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:14 am
Location: Russia

Post by temaniak » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 am

Russian overview.

[video][/video]

User avatar
yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:15 am
Location: Denver
Contact:

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:25 pm

I finally got a chance to measure the current draw on this since the power specs have never officially been released. That Joranalogue tester is super convenient, for the record...

Power:
+12: 150 mA
-12: 50 mA
+5: 0 mA

I also updated specs on ModularGrid.

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Recently I got Hertz Donut Mark III to keep my Piston Honda Mark III company. PH3 was my first Harvestman/IME module. Aided by my experience with PH3, after a few goes with HD3 I started to get the feel of it.

Today on a whim I loaded another set of non-stock waveforms into PH3. While there I finally learned to save and use presets. Morph didn't work as I expected. But I have yet to do the firmware upgrades, so I assumed that was why. (My Pickit3 is at the ready.)

Changing presets precisely with CV worked perfectly, however, so I couldn't stop there. A few hours later I had some new music; two tracks, versions of one patch in which PH3 and HD3 were the only sound sources.

The bass line in the center is HD3. (An excellent instrument! Vindicator of old Casio synths and then some. Fun and powerful.) Everything else is PH3 loaded with Ensoniq and SynTech waveforms. Session notes are at each track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/1-action

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/2-more-action


User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 pm


User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:20 pm

Slowly learning to dial in more nuanced sounds with HD mk III. Here it's doing the droning chords.


User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Slowly learning to dial in more nuanced sounds with HD mk III. Here it's doing the droning chords.

Very nice. Is that the HD audio alone or processed? I ask because it sounds spatial to me.

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:49 pm

synonymist wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:Slowly learning to dial in more nuanced sounds with HD mk III. Here it's doing the droning chords.

Very nice. Is that the HD audio alone or processed? I ask because it sounds spatial to me.
Oh no, ha it's got some Magneto on it too.

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
synonymist wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:Slowly learning to dial in more nuanced sounds with HD mk III. Here it's doing the droning chords.

Very nice. Is that the HD audio alone or processed? I ask because it sounds spatial to me.
Oh no, ha it's got some Magneto on it too.
A-ha! Thanks. I still think it's nice. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:25 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:22 am

I recently got it and I have already fallen in love with it big time. Here is a track that I used the Hertz Donut as a lead on. The lead drops in at the 1:06 mark. The percussion is a Piston Honda MKIII (run through clouds) trading off with a nebulae and its samples.

GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics


User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:09 pm

The sounds. The sounds! That this module can make. :)

In this piece the soloist is Hertz Donut Mark III via Filter 8 (as VCF). The melodic drone is Piston Honda Mark III (with Ensoniq and SynTech waveforms).

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/lifelike

I have yet to learn why, but there are a few intra-note slurs that sound like the fundamental being slewed (for example by a sequencer). The most impressive one is at about 1:56. I don't think it's that kind of slewing, though. Anyway, it is quite cool.

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:07 am

synonymist wrote:I have yet to learn why, but there are a few intra-note slurs that sound like the fundamental being slewed (for example by a sequencer). The most impressive one is at about 1:56. I don't think it's that kind of slewing, though. Anyway, it is quite cool.
Okay, I think I have it: The primary oscillator is not being slewed; so if it is the fundamental, then that much was correct. However, one of the operators was being modulated in a way that affected something like bending one string up during a double stop on an electric guitar.

So in that example at about 1:56, first one "string" is bent up from its natural pitch (gradually enough), then a moment later, after being held there, it is lowered back down to its natural pitch (more suddenly).

The relationship of the HD3 oscillators in this patch was such (phase distortion, etc.) that in the guitar analogy the guitar audio was distorted, so the characteristic pitch-dependent "beating" of the two notes against each other was affected.

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Since I used all my orange-knobbed modules in this piece, I didn't know which module-centric thread to post it in. ;)

Hertz Donut Mark III gets better each time I play it. They are all excellent. But in this patch, Piston Honda Mark II is the star (with a little help from A-110-4). Session notes are at the track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/the-delver

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:54 am

Hertz Donut Mark III is a fantastic instrument. :)

It doesn't matter if this music interests you. Just listen to the sounds! Especially note the "metallic bass guitar solo" that starts at about 2:40 in the second track.

These are two rather different interpretations of one patch, in which HD3 is the only primary sound source. Morphagene and Clouds assist. Double Andore Mark II is doing all sorts of work, including self-patching. It is delicious. Session notes are at each track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/galactic-1-starfield

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/galactic-2-abyss

User avatar
Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Post by Vcoadsr » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:39 pm

Quick question - no matter what I do the MIX out is just a quieter version of the MAIN out, I thought the MIX out was an analogue sum of the AUX & MAIN outs?

I'm running the latest firmware - could someone help me figure this out please?

Post Reply

Return to “The Harvestman”