BionicLester mk3, Andore Jr, Kermit mk3, Malgorithm mk3

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:31 am

temaniak wrote:Here is some demos from my BLmk3.

1. Acid Demo. Tomas Henry 555 saw from S3n0Я Complex Generator through VCA and A Filter of Bionic Lester MK3 and works with two envelopes: each for VCA and filter. Some delays added by Tyme Sefari mk2.

http://bit.ly/2qIA9Ua

2. Drone Demo. Tomas Henry 555 triangle overdrived by BLmk3, which works in stereo-mode. Left and Right chanels are crossfaded by LFO. Mode and cutoffs of A and B section modulates by LFO, randoms and seq. No any reverbs and delays.

http://bit.ly/2rAfUsB

3. Drone theme, where 80% of sounds are generated by Piston Honda MK3 and Bionic Lester mk3. Added drone from S3n0Я Complex Generaton and some glitched delays from Tyme Sefari mk2 (source is BLmk3 too). Modulated by seqencers and LFOs.

http://bit.ly/2Q5nPrW
First person on muffs to get Soundcloud embeds to work!
:party:

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:56 pm

!!!!!! Love it !!!! :bananaguitar:

temaniak wrote:Here is some demos from my BLmk3.

1. Acid Demo. Tomas Henry 555 saw from S3n0Я Complex Generator through VCA and A Filter of Bionic Lester MK3 and works with two envelopes: each for VCA and filter. Some delays added by Tyme Sefari mk2.

http://bit.ly/2qIA9Ua

2. Drone Demo. Tomas Henry 555 triangle overdrived by BLmk3, which works in stereo-mode. Left and Right chanels are crossfaded by LFO. Mode and cutoffs of A and B section modulates by LFO, randoms and seq. No any reverbs and delays.

http://bit.ly/2rAfUsB

3. Drone theme, where 80% of sounds are generated by Piston Honda MK3 and Bionic Lester mk3. Added drone from S3n0Я Complex Generaton and some glitched delays from Tyme Sefari mk2 (source is BLmk3 too). Modulated by seqencers and LFOs.

http://bit.ly/2Q5nPrW

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Short Audio Demo with the Bionic Lester MKIII :deadbanana:

[video][/video]

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:37 pm

robotopsy wrote:Short Audio Demo with the Bionic Lester MKIII :deadbanana:

[video][/video]
:party:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:00 pm

can't say i've had much use for presets on oscillators/filters, but the morphing aspect is a sweet idea. but damn am i'm psyched for kermit mk3. love my mk2. not sure if this is in the cards, but it would be sick to have a quadrature lfo setup going while morphing their shape :deadbanana:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:47 pm

dooj88 wrote:but damn am i'm psyched for kermit mk3. love my mk2. not sure if this is in the cards, but it would be sick to have a quadrature lfo setup going while morphing their shape :deadbanana:
:fap:

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Any word on the Andore Jr?

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:30 pm

robotopsy wrote:Short Audio Demo with the Bionic Lester MKIII :deadbanana:

[video][/video]
Deam.
:bananaguitar: :banana:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 pm

I just got my new Lester and I have to admit that feel a bit irritated about it.

First, it came in the usual eurorack card box but without any padding inside, just the module in a pink anti static bag, not even a bubble foil bag. So the header to connect the update thingie was bent like this:

Sure, you can bend it back to fit the PICkit but it's a bad start - why would one ship a module in a box without any padding? I experienced this just one time before with a new bought module. Back then it lead to the SMD power header being broken off...

Therefore I am not totally sure about the following. It might be that more is broken, but the findings of my first encounter seem to be consistent over both channels so I am really not sure if it is just how it is?

Anyway, the sound I get out of it is full of digital clicks and little pops, well, not full of them but they occur again and again. I was prepared for noise, distortion, artefacts and anything but these clicks sound more like a broken audio interface or DAW issues.

They occur with very moderate modulation, unsnappy envelopes and without even using the comb filter mode, input distortion or heavy filter mode modulation. Using a quite slowish envelope (Maths: Attack at 11:00 w/ half exponential response) on the low pass filter with barely resonance gives the tone an audible click that it did not have before feeding it into the Lester when the same lame envelope opened a VCA. Using CV over gain control is pretty much the same, even without driving it into saturation. When it reaches saturation the clicks just get more annoying, albeit sounding not really related to clipping the input stage.

The thing is, there re are a lot of great sounds to achieve though, input overdrive is nice, combing and mixing both filters is great and the tone evokes the notion of old fashioned software synths. You can even sculpture odd 90's like dream sounds by slow modulation through the classic filter modes, frequency and gain - fits a midiverb quite nice.

EDIT: Unfortunately my device seems to be faulty and will get exchanged by the dealer. So I made this post sound a bit less clamouring.

:tu:
Last edited by Leverkusen on Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ether
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ether » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Mine sounds great, and has none of these issues. I’d get back to your retailer for a replacement. Mine came bubble wrapped and well packed from Perfect Circuit btw.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:41 pm

One of my BLMKIII also got this. I just bend it back and plugged it and the rack went beserk in no time :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:
ether wrote:Mine sounds great, and has none of these issues. I’d get back to your retailer for a replacement. Mine came bubble wrapped and well packed from Perfect Circuit btw.

jjh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjh » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:16 am

My BL also came with bent header pins. I just straightened them a bit and forgot it until now. No other issues, luckily.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:50 am

I got back to it today and did some measurements.

I get up to 20 Vpp audio levels at the outputs. That seems a bit over the top to me and no wonder that I am experiencing clicks further down the signal path.

The manual says it expects 10 Vpp at the input to work best, shouldn't the output be in the same range then?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:57 am

Leverkusen wrote:I got back to it today and did some measurements.

I get up to 20 Vpp audio levels at the outputs. That seems a bit over the top to me and no wonder that I am experiencing clicks further down the signal path.

The manual says it expects 10 Vpp at the input to work best, shouldn't the output be in the same range then?
Send an email to Scott. Doesn’t look like it survived the travel adventure.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Yes, probably. I just talked to the retail store and will get an exchange unit next week. I shall condense my rant above a bit and post some sounds when I have the new one in the rack... :tu:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:36 pm

clicks and pops from your filter? shit man, that could've been your meal ticket. Pole made his whole career out of the defining sound that came from his broken waldorf 4 pole. best minimal dub i've heard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_(musician)

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:48 pm

dooj88 wrote:clicks and pops from your filter? shit man, that could've been your meal ticket. Pole made his whole career out of the defining sound that came from his broken waldorf 4 pole. best minimal dub i've heard.

:goo: :sb: :bananaguitar: :yay:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:11 pm

dooj88 wrote:clicks and pops from your filter? shit man, that could've been your meal ticket. Pole made his whole career out of the defining sound that came from his broken waldorf 4 pole. best minimal dub i've heard.

I am sure there will be plenty of clicks and pops left to earn a decent meal next week when I'll take it out bionic caroling in the streets.

:goo: :zombie: :nana: :hihi:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 pm

So, I got my exchange module today.

With all due respect and however much I love Harvestman/IME designs, as a manufacturer I would be deeply embarrassed about such an amount of carelessness towards my customers.

The packaging is clearly insufficient for this module and I don't understand how someone can spend so much effort in a design to then pack it like this. Shouldn't it get to the customer in a usable state to earn the appreciation it deserves - without having to poke around with a pair of pliers first? I would happily donate an extra dime for a piece of polyurethane foam to earn that privilege.

To get a header bent like this it, repeatably perforating the plastic bag before leaving bite wounds in the cardbox it needs a bit of action and I don't think that this is good for the soldering points nor the PCB. Also I wonder how the potentiometers might feel about such a treatment.

I would never sell anything like this to someone as used, even if it works. Getting such a module delivered as new and experiencing that this is the rule rather than the exception is really disappointing.

:ripbanana:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:02 am

Leverkusen wrote:So, I got my exchange module today....
That is pretty fukced up.
There was NO padding in the packaging? No foam peanuts, no balled up newspaper, no bubble wrap?

I don't recall anything like this before (many previous modules had sometimes multiple header pins on the PCB).
The module shipped within a white box, no? Is the box in the photo the original box?

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:39 am

I did not experience this either with previous IME/Harvestman modules.

It came in the usual white cardbox (the one in the photo) with IME and serial stamp on it. The module box then was packed in a bigger shipping box by the shop with crumpled thick wrapping paper damping inside.

The module itself was packed in a pink antistatic plastic bag without bubbles. This exchanged one now had also a 20 x 20 cm black bubble foil in the box that barely could wrap the module one time and of course also has perforations from the header.

When everything is put back into the box and (carefully and slowly) shaken the module is bouncing around inside quite a bit and in all three dimensions. So the box is clearly too wide and there is not enough padding inside to prevent it from bouncing around. No wonder it gets damaged while traveling.

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Re: BionicLester mk3, Andore Jr, Kermit mk3, Malgorithm mk3

Post by jwm » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 pm

got my mk3 lester in today...

noticed that perfect circuit had its power listed at 105/35 on +12/-12...which seemed surprising given that is the number listed for the ph mk2, so i measured it on my joranalogue test3 and found it to be running at 145/52 with all lights lit, screen filled, and a couple of i/o patched..which makes more sense given how the other mk3 modules seem to be rated.. but even just idling with nothing patched and/or lit, it hovers around 130 ish

updated on MG too..

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 pm

For some reason they don't seem to prioritize that part of the whole thing. Thanks for doing it.
THUMPR BC SC

Orange
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Orange » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:43 am

What is the (estimated) release date of the Malgorithm mk3?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:11 am

Don’t think one has been created.
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “The Harvestman”