BionicLester mk3, Andore Jr, Kermit mk3, Malgorithm mk3

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I think it sounds nice and I would love to see and hear more of Scott jamming around with his new module line.

I understand the sound of both MKIII oscillators (cause I have them) but cannot really make out by now what the signature of the Bionic Lester is.

I have the MKI and I think I somehow like it. As a filter it seems to be crap in an quite interesting way, especially with no input and feedback. But what is the MKIII like - certainly not crap.

Are there any ideas what those software filters of the late 90's might be like? I have still been into guitar music back then...

:sb:

nios
Common Wiggler

Post by nios » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Are there any ideas what those software filters of the late 90's might be like? I have still been into guitar music back then...
Really that's anyone's guess because that is such a vague descriptor.

Generally though back then the first VA synths were established and some of them were extremely popular like the Roland JP8000 and Korg MS2000 (edit, however that was 2000 rather than 'late 90s', memory spotty) whose guts went into the microKorg). From what I heard of the BL mkIII it's sort of like a dual AN1X filter to my ears with that very syrupy, vocal resonance, but it could be just that the PH mkIII tends to sound like that filtered. The dual filter architecture sounds like the Waldorf Q's design, although I have a Q and it doesn't really sound like the BL on any of its filter modes, but that's really hard to eval off a few youtube vids.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:47 am

Thanks for sharing the knowledge - I just hoped it would ring some bells for more software informed people. Like a rude LP/HP filter might be described as 'modelled after a classic Japanese filter design from the mid to late 1970s'.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Since the images from the flyer at SB haven't been posted anywhere I was able to do a screen grab. Not the sharpest grabs and I was only able to use the Bionic Lester mk3 and Andore jr, but hopefully these will do.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:34 am

I certainly don't "need" it, but Andore Jr looks very handy. Packed with features without an overly dense panel design. I didn't realize there would be audio processing for both envelopes.

Now that I think of it, could be a replacement for my Intellijel ADSR...

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:16 pm

Voggg wrote:I certainly don't "need" it, but Andore Jr looks very handy. Packed with features without an overly dense panel design. I didn't realize there would be audio processing for both envelopes.

I noticed you have the Verbos HO and Bark Filter. How do they interact with your Harvestman gear? I like the additive synthesis idea conceptually, but unsure how it would work in practice. So many module permutations...

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Bionic Lester will begin manufacturing in August.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 pm

mt3 wrote:
Voggg wrote:I certainly don't "need" it, but Andore Jr looks very handy. Packed with features without an overly dense panel design. I didn't realize there would be audio processing for both envelopes.

I noticed you have the Verbos HO and Bark Filter. How do they interact with your Harvestman gear? I like the additive synthesis idea conceptually, but unsure how it would work in practice. So many module permutations...
I would love to the see the IME take on a harmonic oscillator. I had a Verbos HO for a while. I regret selling it, I don't think I used it enough. It was a space hog though for sure haha.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:44 pm

gringostar wrote:Since the images from the flyer at SB haven't been posted anywhere I was able to do a screen grab. Not the sharpest grabs and I was only able to use the Bionic Lester mk3 and Andore jr, but hopefully these will do.
I updated the Andore Jr image on modulargrid but the Lester image is a bit too lo-res. Do you have a higher resolution version?

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:57 pm

mt3 wrote:
gringostar wrote:Since the images from the flyer at SB haven't been posted anywhere I was able to do a screen grab. Not the sharpest grabs and I was only able to use the Bionic Lester mk3 and Andore jr, but hopefully these will do.
I updated the Andore Jr image on modulargrid but the Lester image is a bit too lo-res. Do you have a higher resolution version?
I don't since they were both pulled from youtube and then stretched/rotated in PS.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:38 am

The bionic lester mk3 does indeed sound amazing. i think, from the MK3 lineup I might just end up buying the malgorithm, since 500+ for a filter is outside of my budget right now, but it does sound incredible. Scott's most recent designs really make me want to sell analog gear, go full MK3 and start making 90s industrial.
New video on the MN Shared System:
Make Noise Shared System Tutorial 1: Patch Backwards

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:08 am

mt3 wrote:

I love using Verbos with Harvestman. Very different approaches that compliment each other very well. I like doing various styles of music, but if I was going for a techno / industrial setup, it would be mostly those two together. I will say the core sound of the HO, used additively, has a strong character which doesn't suit everyone (personally I love it). AMing the harmonics is nice. You can wreck it pretty well with a Malgorithm. And I've used the Piston Honda as a morphing CV source.
The Verbos oscillators and ATC have kind of a raw, muscular sound and distort / clip well.
The Bark Filter can be used for all kinds of things. You can use it for tone sculpting, or divide up one or two inputs into a chorus of "voices". The individual filter bands have an almost spatial acoustic quality. It's a tough call but if I could only keep one Verbos module, it would be this because it's so flexible.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:31 am

From https://www.facebook.com/industrialmusi ... 5454380799:
"BIONIC LESTER mark III is about to get manufactured and released! The manual will be uploaded when complete. Ask your dealer!

We will soon release new firmware for HERTZ DONUT and PISTON HONDA which improves the performance of the preset manager and ensures consistent operation when several modules are driven from a single preset voltage.

KERMIT will be the next mark III module to be released after this. It is a programmable quad LFO/oscillator/1shot with tap tempo, microSD card slot for user waveforms, and the usual mark III conveniences.

I've also been hard at work on something granular..."

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:46 am

I'm so curious why Jr isn't coming or hasn't come out. It has to be some design predicament that he must feel conflicted about.

Excited for the Kermit
THUMPR BC SC

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:16 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:I'm so curious why Jr isn't coming or hasn't come out. It has to be some design predicament that he must feel conflicted about.

Excited for the Kermit
Good question. Not sure, but I do know that module being ready for a release from a technical standpoint isn't the only deciding factor. I'm really looking forward to that one too, but new BL and Kermit have me super stoked too.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:15 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:I'm so curious why Jr isn't coming or hasn't come out. It has to be some design predicament that he must feel conflicted about.

Excited for the Kermit
It's next in line after Kermit mkII

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Good news.

The only thing I'm not really into is the output arrangement...but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I imagine if it's been sitting this long(2+ years at this point?), it's optimized.
THUMPR BC SC

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:09 pm

any rumors on HP for the Kermit mk3?

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:47 am

autopoiesis wrote:any rumors on HP for the Kermit mk3?
12hp

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:40 am

Does anybody know the hp for the Malgorithm mk3?

jjh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjh » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 am

BL retail price at Schneidersladen seems to be set to 515 EUR incl VAT.

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:28 am

from the guv's IG...kermit coming in hot

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:31 pm

So I watched a couple of videos about the BL3. Is it still a switched capacitor topology like the original, or is fully digital 'virtual analog'? The videos I watched made it seem fully digital, and if that is the case I admit I am slightly less interested.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:16 pm

geremyf wrote:So I watched a couple of videos about the BL3. Is it still a switched capacitor topology like the original, or is fully digital 'virtual analog'? The videos I watched made it seem fully digital, and if that is the case I admit I am slightly less interested.
I believe it's fully digital. I'm still interested to see what Scott does with it, but I think the point is there is a role for both in one system.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:53 am

Last edited by synonymist on Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Harvestman”