BionicLester mk3, Andore Jr, Kermit mk3, Malgorithm mk3

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

User avatar
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Northbay, CA

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 pm

A last minute addition to the Bionic Lester III's filter modes, from IME Facebook-
I had a good time at Knobcon. Zach G made a good suggestion to me while I was there: what if the Bionic Lester III had a comb filter? I was already underwhelmed with the second-order allpass on the module (derived from the other modes), so I added some delay lines and now the far end of the Mode dial is much more interesting.
When the Mode control is turned to maximum, the display changes to show the length of the delay line and type of filter. When Resonance is at zero, the mode functions as an allpass filter. As you turn the Resonance control towards noon, it changes to a positive-feedback comb. Past noon, it switches to a negative feedback comb. The cutoff knob controls the length of the delay line. There is some suppression of zipper noise, but not totally.
The sonically destructive potential of the module has just greatly increased. You could even synthesize the Half-Life "air duct" algorithm! I've been playing with the old "Malström" synthesizer lately (for other reasons) and these sounds brought back some memories. Bionic Lester is going into production now and will ship to dealers soon. I'll upload the updated manual and a real photograph of the faceplate soon.

User avatar
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 15473
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: oregon
Contact:

Post by ignatius » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:22 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:A last minute addition to the Bionic Lester III's filter modes, from IME Facebook-
I had a good time at Knobcon. Zach G made a good suggestion to me while I was there: what if the Bionic Lester III had a comb filter? I was already underwhelmed with the second-order allpass on the module (derived from the other modes), so I added some delay lines and now the far end of the Mode dial is much more interesting.
When the Mode control is turned to maximum, the display changes to show the length of the delay line and type of filter. When Resonance is at zero, the mode functions as an allpass filter. As you turn the Resonance control towards noon, it changes to a positive-feedback comb. Past noon, it switches to a negative feedback comb. The cutoff knob controls the length of the delay line. There is some suppression of zipper noise, but not totally.
The sonically destructive potential of the module has just greatly increased. You could even synthesize the Half-Life "air duct" algorithm! I've been playing with the old "Malström" synthesizer lately (for other reasons) and these sounds brought back some memories. Bionic Lester is going into production now and will ship to dealers soon. I'll upload the updated manual and a real photograph of the faceplate soon.
can't wait to hear that. i love comb filters and scott's take on it has me more than a little intrigued. :yay:

User avatar
gringostar
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: The Nameless City

Post by gringostar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:58 pm

ignatius wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:A last minute addition to the Bionic Lester III's filter modes, from IME Facebook-
I had a good time at Knobcon. Zach G made a good suggestion to me while I was there: what if the Bionic Lester III had a comb filter? I was already underwhelmed with the second-order allpass on the module (derived from the other modes), so I added some delay lines and now the far end of the Mode dial is much more interesting.
When the Mode control is turned to maximum, the display changes to show the length of the delay line and type of filter. When Resonance is at zero, the mode functions as an allpass filter. As you turn the Resonance control towards noon, it changes to a positive-feedback comb. Past noon, it switches to a negative feedback comb. The cutoff knob controls the length of the delay line. There is some suppression of zipper noise, but not totally.
The sonically destructive potential of the module has just greatly increased. You could even synthesize the Half-Life "air duct" algorithm! I've been playing with the old "Malström" synthesizer lately (for other reasons) and these sounds brought back some memories. Bionic Lester is going into production now and will ship to dealers soon. I'll upload the updated manual and a real photograph of the faceplate soon.
can't wait to hear that. i love comb filters and scott's take on it has me more than a little intrigued. :yay:
Same here. I adore the mk1 lester but I also love comb filters and only having enough space for one of them is making me seriously consider upgrading, especially since I have the RK6 which can be nasty as hell.

User avatar
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Northbay, CA

Post by Ras Thavas » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 pm

I had been somewhat cool to the BL MkIII, typical great layout and features that IME is known for, but a digital filter with some overdrive on the input isn't something I felt I needed.

Adding the comb filters might change that, so I'm looking forward to hearing this too.

If it's going to be a digital filter, I like the idea of embracing that and adding some more "digital weirdness" that you wouldn't see on an analog filter. Not sure how it could be cleanly fit into the interface, but I'd like to see more.

I mean, if this filter is a successor to the BL MKI, it should be chock full of weirdness :)

User avatar
jwm
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:12 am
Location: florida
Contact:

Post by jwm » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:47 pm

am i the only one missing the aliasing? its like my fav thing about the mk1.. :despair:

User avatar
DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Post by DeltaTucanae » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:36 pm

I've been playing with the old "Malström" synthesizer lately (for other reasons)
For Volkmire's Inferno I reckon. :party:

User avatar
gringostar
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: The Nameless City

Post by gringostar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:45 pm

jwm wrote:am i the only one missing the aliasing? its like my fav thing about the mk1.. :despair:
I love the mk1 aliasing as well, however I've been coming around to liking them more at the sound source with the PH mk1 and TS mk1 than at the filter stage so I haven't been exploiting the BL mk1 aliasing lately.

User avatar
jwm
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:12 am
Location: florida
Contact:

Post by jwm » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:01 pm

gringostar wrote:
jwm wrote:am i the only one missing the aliasing? its like my fav thing about the mk1.. :despair:
I love the mk1 aliasing as well, however I've been coming around to liking them more at the sound source with the PH mk1 and TS mk1 than at the filter stage so I haven't been exploiting the BL mk1 aliasing lately.
yeah i feel that. i have been mostly using it with some really smooth additive voice set ups for some dirt at the end of things...was just using sample rate reduction in conjunction with filtering for years now, and was stoked to kinda have both in one package to a degree. i did pick up a second one for a harvestman case build out i'm working towards (with a ph mk1 to boot) so perhaps i'll change my tune down the road.

User avatar
PietroC
Common Wiggler
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by PietroC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 am

I was Wondering if the future Kermit. Since it has customizable waveforms and SD card implementations.

Will the Wave Edit Program be used for this?
And if So I'm thinking if there was a way to synchronize Waveforms to tempo for example you can ( Im picturing using it in CV-IN of a VCA )
IE: Pulse - Zero - Triangle - Zero - Multiple Saws - Zero
1stBeat - Silence - 2ndBeat - .... So on

Kind of like using Polivoks modulator's three lfo's on three different Vca's with the same sound source and triggering them at different times / in Combination
To get the max out of one sound source

Plus this way it can customized to be a carefully tailored sequence with customizable Pulse Width and shape variations

:zombie:
Unless its already possible
I've seen a video where there is mention of syncing a audio track to a waveform using Wave Edit or something of this nature

User avatar
mutate
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:31 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Post by mutate » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:05 am

mt3 wrote:From https://www.facebook.com/industrialmusi ... 5454380799:
"BIONIC LESTER mark III is about to get manufactured and released! The manual will be uploaded when complete. Ask your dealer!

We will soon release new firmware for HERTZ DONUT and PISTON HONDA which improves the performance of the preset manager and ensures consistent operation when several modules are driven from a single preset voltage.

KERMIT will be the next mark III module to be released after this. It is a programmable quad LFO/oscillator/1shot with tap tempo, microSD card slot for user waveforms, and the usual mark III conveniences.

I've also been hard at work on something granular..."
I just hope that the Kermit tap tempo is actually tight timing wise. V1 was extremely sloppy to the point it really wasn't tap tempo.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to remove.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

User avatar
suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity
Posts: 4762
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: San Diego

Post by suboptimal » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:06 pm

The BL mk3 has caught my attention for sure. It takes a lot to get me interested in filters these days - my system is overstacked. But the possibilities of digital are quite interesting, especially with comb and all-pass on the offer.

The time has come to build that row of Harvestman I've always figured would be a blast. SELL THE KIDS.

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:45 am

Image
- from FacesOfDeathBook

User avatar
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 15473
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: oregon
Contact:

Post by ignatius » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:32 am

scott's doing a demo of the BLIII next saturday here in portland at modular 8. i posted it in the gatherings section but here's a link

viewtopic.php?t=222059&highlight=

it'll be streamed on the modular 8 youtube page. i spoke to scott the other day and he sounds pleased w/the comb filter implementation which i can't wait to hear.

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:42 am

Bionic Lester mk III is now shipping.

Bionic Lester mk III manual:
https://ime-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/upl ... manual.pdf

User avatar
jwm
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:12 am
Location: florida
Contact:

Post by jwm » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:04 pm

anyone wanna take a stab at what they think mk3 kermit might run us, given the price of the OG and the mk3 line with the preset manager built in?

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1965
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:18 pm

$450
THUMPR BC SC

User avatar
deltaAquarii
Common Wiggler
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Post by deltaAquarii » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:28 am

wheeen, kermit mk3 :cry: :hyper: :zombie:

User avatar
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2247
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am
Location: Suhlendorf

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:27 am

Just found a short video in my feed:

[video][/video]

:goo:

vidret
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Skogen

Post by vidret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:54 am

needs timestamps :lol:

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:34 am

Leverkusen wrote:Just found a short video in my feed:

[video][/video]

:goo:
52 minutes short.

User avatar
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2247
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am
Location: Suhlendorf

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:12 am

Yes, quite a comprehensive video! :yay:

I have to admit that I am not very much into filtering, but I very much like some of the combo modes in connection with the clipping stages and the sound of Piston Honda. Also the comb filter modes sound great too.

I don't know how one would achieve this in a way that eventually makes sense but I would love if the CV direction reverts on multi mode filters when the mode is set to HP - like the same envelope still opening the filter as it does in LP mode, just in the other direction.

Similar thought with the comb filter mode and resonance - I guess, there will be a hard switch when resonance control passes noon? On the other hand having the flat response at noon with positive and negative full at CCW/CW would break the behavior when coming from notch mode.
There are some click noises in the video I did not understood, but I would love to know more about the mode morph behavior from notch into comb mode and from positive to negative combs.

Apart from that the preset modes of MKIII offer great possibilities and I really love them on the PH and HD! On one hand complex external modulation settings are not always possibly, but on the other hand preset morphing solves this and much more...

User avatar
robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 am
Location: Canada

Post by robotopsy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:14 am

Amazing Video
Thanx Zach you gave me more spare time :nana:

mt3 wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:Just found a short video in my feed:

[video][/video]

:goo:
52 minutes short.

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2889
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:04 pm

[video][/video]

User avatar
gringostar
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: The Nameless City

Post by gringostar » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Do we know the power requirements for the Lester?

temaniak
Common Wiggler
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:14 am
Location: Russia

Post by temaniak » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Image

Awesome! Another one IME module in my case. :harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman:

But i have two strange things:
1. the mode knob of A filter is very tight
2. the outputs give out some kind of DC voltage, even when any oscillator is not connected. this gives extra noise to the mixer. I hope this will be fixed in the next firmware.

Post Reply

Return to “The Harvestman”