Tyme Sefari mk. II manual

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Krukan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Krukan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:15 am

governor blacksnake wrote:As far as I know you're the only one who got a crackler so far - we tested heavily for them and reworked the units that exhibited this issue (related to component tolerance)
Unfortunately it seems that mine is a crackler too. I’ll try to follow your instructions to solve the problem. I’ve never touched the ”inside” of a module before - so it’s a bit scary...

Thank you for your quick response to this issue!

JeremyLemos
Common Wiggler

Post by JeremyLemos » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:51 am

Krukan wrote:Unfortunately it seems that mine is a crackler too. I’ll try to follow your instructions to solve the problem. I’ve never touched the ”inside” of a module before - so it’s a bit scary...

It was pretty easy, as long as you have a steady hand and a hex screw driver... I used a jewelers screwdriver tip to scrape the lead off and it worked great after that.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:58 am

The_Crooked_Man wrote:Finally ordered mine yesterday. Been anxiously awaiting this bad boy for a LONG time :twisted:
I feel so left out! You, MrBiggs and ThinLazy should start a Philly Sefari Trio. :sb:
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T Mackie QU-16C Digital Mixer/Interface: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234471

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

JeremyLemos
Common Wiggler

Post by JeremyLemos » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 am

And... What was the secret message in the memory... With all of my problems one of the first things I did was erase it...

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:33 am

It seems to have been a noisy recorded loop of some kind. I was thinking of recording and posting it, but that would ruin the fun.

I was kinda hoping for a message from Satan.

ThinLazy, Crooked_Man, mine's installed and running and I like. Steve banana plug has been talking about jamming sometime. We should do this and use the Sefaris. I spent three hours in bliss with just one small uke strum in F on the Sefari v2 and one in A on the Phonogene. Not that the notes matter when that sample rate knob is sitting there.

It's just remarkable. (audio to come)
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Krukan wrote:
governor blacksnake wrote:As far as I know you're the only one who got a crackler so far - we tested heavily for them and reworked the units that exhibited this issue (related to component tolerance)
Unfortunately it seems that mine is a crackler too. I’ll try to follow your instructions to solve the problem. I’ve never touched the ”inside” of a module before - so it’s a bit scary...

if you send it to ME I'll fix it for you. All I ask is that you let me play with it for 1 day before sending it back to you :hihi:

*edit*

3 days
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:17 pm

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:if you send it to ME I'll fix it for you. All I ask is that you let me play with it for 1 day before sending it back to you :hihi:

*edit*

3 days

If you ask me, that totally sounds fair.

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 am

Awaiting more demos. I love using my modcan cv recorder for audio but if the TS gets clean enough I'll definitely be interested. I tend to make more quiet/ambient music so controlling the artifacts is important to me....don't get me wrong, I still like some noise.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:31 am

I think this machine is for you. I'll post some stuff later today, as soon as I can edit down the 76 minutes... It's pretty clean. I expected some pops as the loop edit sliders cross over but I can't hear any.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 pm

A few tracks wherein I recorded a simple ukulele strum into each of the Phonogene and the Tyme Sefari v2. There's a lot one can do with a simple ukulele strum.
The end-of-loop output of the TS kept the Phonogene in sync. This is just the coolest thing, especially when the Phonogene is doing the same to the TS. It becomes a game of chicken.

The third track in the set has some Flame Talking Synth stuff going on too. I recorded a few triggers of that into a few splices of the Phonogene as it was playing and dialed them up at times.

http://soundcloud.com/dance-robot-dance ... e-duet-one

http://soundcloud.com/dance-robot-dance ... e-duet-two

http://soundcloud.com/dance-robot-dance ... duet-three

I hope this gives some clues as to the sound and quality. The noise you hear at times is mainly just the digital degradation and the noise from the mic recording the uke. The occasional pops and clicks come from the Phonogene as the varispeed and the slide controls cross over.

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks for these.

Great recordings. Even my wife liked them.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:54 am

Thanks Ted. My music gear is in the room next to the bedroom where my wife gies to sleep at 9pm, so I know that's the highest compliment.

Hey Exper, you asked about the tap working as a synched delay. It does indeed. Not the cleanest, but totally doable. Let me know if you'd like audio. Or just come by sometime.

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:17 am

MrBiggs wrote:ThinLazy, Crooked_Man, mine's installed and running and I like. Steve banana plug has been talking about jamming sometime. We should do this and use the Sefaris. I spent three hours in bliss with just one small uke strum in F on the Sefari v2 and one in A on the Phonogene. Not that the notes matter when that sample rate knob is sitting there.

It's just remarkable. (audio to come)
I'm definitely up for it. Love those demos, too, by the way. I have an FMVDO, z8000, and Tyme Sefari on the way and the anticipation is KILLING me :hyper:

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:20 am

MrBiggs wrote:Thanks Ted. My music gear is in the room next to the bedroom where my wife gies to sleep at 9pm, so I know that's the highest compliment.

Hey Exper, you asked about the tap working as a synched delay. It does indeed. Not the cleanest, but totally doable. Let me know if you'd like audio. Or just come by sometime.
How about both? :hihi: Definitely would like to check out your loopers as that's something I want in the very near future. Tough to chose between Tyme Sefari II and Phonogene. "Get Both" is not the answer currently! But yeah, if you could do a simple, echo sound, as clean as possible, I'd like to hear it. Synced echos are the main attraction for me with the Echophon, so if I could do that, I'd maybe temporarily sell the Echophon for this. Besides, I can always rum the modular through my Machinedrum for synced delays...
Thanks!
Current system:

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:02 pm

exper wrote:
MrBiggs wrote:How about both? :hihi: ... if you could do a simple, echo sound, as clean as possible, I'd like to hear it. Synced echos are the main attraction for me with the Echophon, so if I could do that, I'd maybe temporarily sell the Echophon for this. Besides, I can always rum the modular through my Machinedrum for synced delays...
Thanks!
Your wish is my command.

http://soundcloud.com/dance-robot-dance ... delay-demo

This is a simple straightforward patch. Dixie VCO &rt; Optomix &rt; Tyme Sefari &rt; Outs to Motu 828 into Ableton. The Optomix is opened by a Maths. The Maths as well as the tap temp input of the Tyme Sefari are triggered by a few sources here, in order to work out the synchronization. The file is split into three parts:

1. The Maths is triggered manually, opening up the Optomix VCA. The delay is tapped by a 4MS Shuffling Clock Multiplier. This is just to show that it's pretty clean when held with a steady clock. The sampling frequency of the Tyme Sefari is varied, which is pretty obvious. I like the low-sample-rate of the delays at the end of this section.

2. The Maths/VCA and the taps are clocked with Silent Way in Ableton Live. I move the triggers around.

3. Clocked again with the Shuffling Clock Multiplier. The x2 is the source to the VCA/Maths. Starts with this also clocking the taps. Then I change the taps to x3, x1, x5, x4.

So my results are thus: That this thing can delay perfectly fine when run steady. It seems to get noisy and clicky when the tap tempo changes. When attempting to run quietly, this leads to annoying pops and clicks. When played with more abandon, this can lead to some interesting delayed loops and odd phrases. It's clear here that this is no warm analog delay here. The pops and clicks are obvious. Is this a problem? Depends on if you care about such things. If I'm looking for a warm analog delay with a boopy boop patch like this, then no. No good. So this demo is a little misleading in that sense. I have clean warm delays. This thing is made of cold steel and likes to surprise.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Awesome, thanks for that! So the answer is, do not sell the Echophon! It sounds pretty good, but you're right, its not warm, and there's the clicking. Which is all perfectly fine, since its a sampler! I was going to swap my Anti-Osc for another oscillator, but perhaps I should put a TS2 in instead!
Current system:

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:15 pm

I know now that if I had to unload a good chunk of my 4-row system, I'd let the VCOs go WAAAY before these sampler-loopers. I am in :love: :love: :love: with the sounds and textures I'm getting from these. Anything becomes a sound source. I'm sitting here right now with my sax I had when i was in sixth grade in 1979 recording it into the Sefari. :hyper:

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Wow. First night trying out a loaner TS2 (along with a Phonogene and TS1). I don't know what to say. It's brilliant. It really is impossible to decide between the Phonogene and the TS2. Both are so different. I'd say the TS2 edges out as far as being more immediate and gratifying. Running field recordings and guitar loops into it is just incredible. The feedback is so great to make recursive, shifting loops. I can see the big difference in quality between the TS2 and TS1. That said, there's a little bit of high pitched aliasing in the highest quality setting, that I wish could be dialed out a little more. Its far less noticeable with synthetic input sounds from the modular, but using a pure guitar tone definitely will show it. I had more fun that anyone should making a 3 way sampling/feedback loop between all three machines. It was very hard to control it all though without turning into complete noise. I wish the Planar was already here, because a joystick would be so much fun with all of this.

The way I'm seeing it so far is, Phonogene for granular glitchery, Willits-esque stuttering guitar loops and tape like effects. The TS2 is really good at the delays and recursive sampling. Its easiest to control speed, direction and loop position. Far more that the Phonogene. And, well, the TS1 is just possessed. The SOT switches are just super bizarre. I can't see myself actually ever using them other that to just see what it does, and quickly switching back.

So, I guess I'm leaning towards the TS2 initially. Sadly though, I think I will be needing the Phonogene as well... :deadbanana:
Current system:

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Exper, who loves ya, baby?
:tu:

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:27 pm

MrBiggs wrote:Exper, who loves ya, baby?
:tu:
Seriously, this is so awesome of you! I'm having a blast with them. Still learning how exactly to use them before I have anything worthwhile posting to SC yet, but I will sometime this weekend. BTW, inserting a filter into the feedback does indeed warm it up for delays...
Current system:

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Mine still hasn't shown up, and I'm about to soil myself :omg:

jbucks
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbucks » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:58 am

I got mine over the weekend - it's really a lot of fun once you figure out how it works (like a kind of tape machine). Having everything under CV control is great.

Not sure however if I like the looseness of the audio input and wet/dry knobs though.

But the interface is well designed and intuitive to use. Looking forward to the expander.

What I'm really happy about, is that this is a perfect partner for my VCA Matrix - routing things between them is wonderful!

How are you all using yours? And tips and tricks?

paulstone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paulstone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:24 am

i will buy it only when is ready the expander .

see the bionic lester expander never relaise and piston honda expander
not avaiable !

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 am

jbucks wrote:I got mine over the weekend - it's really a lot of fun once you figure out how it works (like a kind of tape machine). Having everything under CV control is great.

Not sure however if I like the looseness of the audio input and wet/dry knobs though.

But the interface is well designed and intuitive to use. Looking forward to the expander.

What I'm really happy about, is that this is a perfect partner for my VCA Matrix - routing things between them is wonderful!

How are you all using yours? And tips and tricks?
As a vca matrix owner this has me intrigued.

Krukan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Krukan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:50 am

JeremyLemos wrote:It was pretty easy, as long as you have a steady hand and a hex screw driver... I used a jewelers screwdriver tip to scrape the lead off and it worked great after that.
Thank you! Now my TS2 is a no-more-crackler. Got some great help from Daniel at EMS studios here in Stockholm. It's good to have this lovely device back in the case.

Return to “The Harvestman”