Tyme Sefari mk. II manual

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

JeremyLemos
Common Wiggler

Post by JeremyLemos » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Here is an example of the Tyme Safari II during our last show... It's all over the end of "Hit and Quit It"' and its the only thing I'm using on "You and Your Folks"

http://soundcloud.com/jeremylemos/white ... in/s-YQd3v

mmmcc666
Common Wiggler

Post by mmmcc666 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:06 pm

[quote="governor blacksnake"In the meantime you can enable some of the expansion modes by either using an old-model SOT or using jumpers to connect pins on the expansion header together.[/quote]

Has anybody managed to activate the pitch shift mode on ts2 using only jumpers? I tried all the pairs of pins on the headers labeled thunder but with no effect. i'd love to try it out. thanks!

Gripp
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gripp » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up! Reminded me to experiment but like you I don't get that much difference when jumpering around. I'm mainly trying to get it in the 12 bit log mode. Didn't stumble across pitch shift mode either but haven't tried every combination in a systematic manner yet.

jbucks
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbucks » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:39 pm

As a vca matrix owner this has me intrigued.
@visible cow: I'm still experimenting with the VCA Matrix and Tyme Sefari, but certainly some great results can be had by patching an output of the VCA Matrix into the input on the Tyme Sefari, and plugging lots of audio sources into the VCA Matrix with things modulating the CV ins... loads of fun. Haven't tried it yet, but can imagine some interest results by patching another output of the VCA Matrix into the feedback input on the TS...

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:05 am

VCOADSR - I wish I'd had time to check yours out properly the other day.

I'm not really so interested in the pitch/bit/time shifting and mangling type facilities of this primarily, it's the good quality sampling plus 'sound on sound' looping facilities.

Am I looking in the wrong place if the glitchy destructo abilities aren't my bag (90% of the time)?
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 am

Monobass wrote:VCOADSR - I wish I'd had time to check yours out properly the other day.

I'm not really so interested in the pitch/bit/time shifting and mangling type facilities of this primarily, it's the good quality sampling plus 'sound on sound' looping facilities.

Am I looking in the wrong place if the glitchy destructo abilities aren't my bag (90% of the time)?
It seems like the Phonogene might be your bag. The TS2 is capable of being nice -- way way way WAY more than the TS1. So the difference isn't as stark as it was two months ago, but I still think the Phonogene is easier to get the layered SoS textures, and I find that it's also a lot easier to get predictable synched loops as well.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 am

I found the clicks on the Phonogene on the slices were very much not to my taste... it's not even an issue in terms of what I want to do, but I'd be paying a lot for functionality that I wouldn't use due to those artefacts...so I'm probably better off looking at the Pedal market instead I think.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Others may have different thoughts on this, but my guess is that if you don't like the clicks on the Phonogene, you'd not like the Sefari either.

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:16 pm

thanks for the tip :tu:

sb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:41 pm

I agree with this....clicks on the TS II in loop mode are more prominent than those on the Phonogene.....loop sliders also make some very nasty sounds when changing loop length.

I get some nice synced loops with minimal clicks/glitches by turning off loop mode and sending a divided clock to the tap tempo input.

sb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Look at the Mungo g0 if you're after something similar with no clicks/nasty artefacts. The interface isn't as nice but the audio is very good.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:22 pm

C_C wrote:http://soundcloud.com/solvognen/10-15-12-jam

Great module, I don't really have much more to say. :omg:
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

going to pick up mine tomorrow

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:56 am

I hate this sort of buyer's remorse post, but, well, I've just plugged in my TS2 tonight and am very pleased with what I'm hearing. It strikes a great balance between the original's glitch/crunch (which I love and am keeping!) and the Phonogene's enormously powerful but sometimes frustrating esotericism. I've had fun tonight making drones with just an E340 through a DMF-2 into the TS2. The smooth character of the audio is marvelous. Quite a triumph.

Also, this module may be the coolest looking module ever. Not sure, though. The AFG is still too sexy for my cat (did I seriously sell that module?).

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:04 am

So where's the remorse? Sounds like you love the thing.

:despair:

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm

so whats the shortest delay possible?
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:

JeremyLemos
Common Wiggler

Post by JeremyLemos » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Any word about the sound of thunder expansion?

telegasm
Common Wiggler

Post by telegasm » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:39 pm

I picked up Malgorithm mk. II, Polivoks VCF, and Sound of Thunder mk. II from the factory today. All work great. Shipping to everyone once I test and package them.
via the facebook on january 31st

electrovolt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by electrovolt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:32 pm

suboptimal wrote:I hate this sort of buyer's remorse post, but, well, I've just plugged in my TS2 tonight and am very pleased with what I'm hearing. It strikes a great balance between the original's glitch/crunch (which I love and am keeping!) and the Phonogene's enormously powerful but sometimes frustrating esotericism. I've had fun tonight making drones with just an E340 through a DMF-2 into the TS2. The smooth character of the audio is marvelous. Quite a triumph.

Also, this module may be the coolest looking module ever. Not sure, though. The AFG is still too sexy for my cat (did I seriously sell that module?).
So now that you have had one for a while, how does the TS2 compare to the phonogene, and would you recommend it over the phonogene?

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:39 am

I sold my Phonogene and kept the TS2.

The Phonogene is a very different tool. If you have the patience to set up the necessary triggers and settings to piece together a good recording (or series of recordings) it can do things the TS2 can't.

For my purposes I found the Phonogene frustrating. I prefer modules that are functionally simple but that can become complex if you wish. The Phonogene is just complex, period. I spent a lot of time trying to master it and sometimes had good results, but I couldn't seem to repeat those good results from session to session. This is partly because I can go for long periods without having time to sit with my modular. I really wanted the Phonogene to work out for me, but it wasn't going to fit.

One thing I'd hoped to do with the Phonogene was set up complex preset patches using PP. I find it's a lot easier to do this with the TS2 and get interesting results, though the results aren't as dynamic as what the Phonogene can bring. Assigning PP to adjust the loop points on the TS2 is enough to accomplish the sort of mashed-up sound I was after with the Phonogene, at least close enough to where I'm happy. And having stereo in a voltage controlled looper is insane - I've had my Machinedrum strapped to it.

The TS2 is still a Harvestman module, so it's got a lot of digital nastiness under the hood. It's not always a sound I'm after (I'm not a huge Harvestman fan in general, other than the TS series) but it's easily controlled. Phonogene has a broader palette of smoother responses, if that makes sense.

Bottom line for me is that they're both good modules, but the TS2 provides what I'm after in a "sampler" module more easily and repeatably than the Phonogene.

electrovolt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by electrovolt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:44 am

Thanks suboptimal, that was very helpful :tu:
I had similar experience with the phonogene. I did like the sounds but I found it to be very difficult to use in a controled and repeatable fashion. I might just give the TSii a try.

Alwaysnew
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Alwaysnew » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:34 pm

AH says:

"approximately 4 seconds of recording time at highest sampling frequency"

and

"by adding the sound of thunder expansion module, you can select different audio recording formats (some doubling the sampling time)"

Does this mean 8 seconds of 16 bit?

Thanks

spaztikk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by spaztikk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:21 am

Unboxing A sound of thunder and linking it with Tyme safari.
:harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman:

[video][/video]

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Just wanted to say that I got a crackly one (so I guess there are still a few in the wild). The fix was easy and everything is smooth sailing now... well, as "smooth" as The Harvestman gets at least :tu:
governor blacksnake wrote:As far as I know you're the only one who got a crackler so far - we tested heavily for them and reworked the units that exhibited this issue (related to component tolerance)

WEBSITE
Rob Ae wrote:plugging CV gate cables in my mouth, to taste the voltages, turned out to enhance my skills.

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

TSmk2 with SoT Example

Post by Rick Burnett » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:55 am

Given others will probably come here with the same question about Phonogene vs TSmk2 and I have to say, I'd have a hard time giving either of them up. It's amazing just how different they are.

The key to understanding the phonogene for me was JUST using the phonogene with a complex sample and going through all the possibilities on settings. The whole gene size, slide is just really nice and just offers a different way than the start/end mechanism on the TSmk2. Also, the rate changes relative to a forward/backward CV control as compared to the either or of the TS. Given how these work different, I find myself using them in situations where that is what I want and it's really crazy how different you end up using both of them.

My first real test of the TSmk2 was recording some crazy complex tone out of my Cyclebox having all the inputs modulated by the QuadLFO. I sampled this into the TS and then switched a few of the bent switches. I then ONLY modulated the start and end times from a pressure points (2 of them) just clocked in one direction. I took the out of this and fed it into the Pittsburg Delay and just set an interesting setting (no modulation). Same clock hitting Brains is triggering Dual ADSR and into a VCA. No other modules in the circuit path.

In the audio below there are three parts:

(1) Just WET signal out of TS from a sample of original material. Start and stop modulated. 2 bent switches used (made the sound more metallic, almost FM like)

(2) 50/50 WET/DRY mix with original crazy sound I sampled in.

(3) Just DRY signal that I just made crazy for modulation purposes.

Note when I recorded the loop in, I didn't have the VCA responding to the envelope, but in part 3 it is being attenuated by the VCA.

All I can say is I am very happy with this sort of result out of it. Granted the delay colors it a bunch, but, this is just the first thing I threw together. We are going to have a lot of fun.

http://soundcloud.com/rick-burnett-1/ty ... i-mk2-test

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:21 pm

My annoyance with the phonogene was having a difficult time "catching a loop". For me this is fixed my having it in "broken record mode" and 100% dry, once you want a loop hit record to stop recording and make the effect 100% wet. DONE! Loop grabbed.

Last night I tried my hands at generating a "self generating" patch by using audio from "up in smoke" (audio makes it easier to tell whats going on than if I used an oscillator), 2 xmixs as feedback loops (phonogene --> TS2, TS2 ---> phonogen) and a clockwork along with various clock dividers. My goal was to see if I could make a self generating patch AND if I would prefer one looper over the other.

My only conclusion was that I must keep the phonogen and TS2, but that I dont think I need the SOT expansion. :eek:

god damn I wish I could loop small bits of audio with my MDUW :sadbanana: :sadbanana:
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:

Return to “The Harvestman”