Tyme Sefari mk. II manual

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:50 pm

I have the SOT expansion and I've played with it a little. Mostly, the bend feature is REALLY neat sounding on some material. For me I like it when I am doing more granular sounds. So, I set the start and end of sample to be very close and modulate the start and end CV to be the same signal so it just shifts the grain. Given in this case I tend to have a fairly small grain size, the bend just really modified the tonaily a bit without making it crazy.

The other thing about the SoT is the 2nd channel. I've not used it yet, but this is something I want to experiment with as well. I think the concept sounds fun to explore with.

As for the mode switches, I've used them a bit, but like the bend, they are more trial and error type of thing. Since I love exploring strange tones this is perfect for me because it's just one more variable.

One thing I definitely want to do is try some interesting stuff with the same sample in both the phonogene and the TS and explore their differences at the same time.

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:13 pm

I've never even thought about using the stereo channel really, and most of the time I dont even notice a change when activating the bends. :confused:

Bend switches on the original were akin to getting punched in the face by a beautiful woman. MK2 bends feel like a gentle nod from a passing stranger. Too subtle or I'm doing something wrong. Definitely going to try your "grain hunting" tactic : :tu:

....and that whole stereo channel as well!!!
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm going to try and do something interesting with the stereo channel this weekend and will post it if I like it.

As far as the bend switches, my understanding is that the data/address lines are being swapped around in the memory. If I had to make a guess on the changes between TS1 and TS2 it might be which lines are swapped around, and if you are using a deeper bit depth, maybe they aren't as noticeable if they are down in the least significant bits of the data.

I can say that I was using 16-bit and with one sample, switching the bends around was generating some CRAZY sounds. So it seems that the material makes a huge difference in the results. I also think the tighter grain, the less you will notice a change.

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Let me add this as well.

When I put a clock into the Brains and then also driving my dual ADSR, what is nice is I can hold a note down on the pressure points and it will keep playing JUST that note. Then, i dial in the start/end with 2 channels on the pressure point and I can just select each note and do that.

In the same I posted, that's what I did because some combinations were making less twangy sounds than I wanted.

If I am loop mode, this is how I am using it as a grain type synthesis.

I also (not in this example) drove the play input on the TS2 and turned off loop. I then also used the pressure point pads to adjust each step to exactly what I wanted. I also use the 3rd pressure points out to drive the pitch speed if I want even more variation (if say I am not getting that variation in the grains themselves). So much fun.

askthedust
Wiggling with Experience

Post by askthedust » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:28 am

There is something I don't get about my freshly arrived SOT MK2 extension.
Is it supposed to output only the wet signal in stereo mode? I'm plugging a different audio source in it and it's not outputing anything except the recorded sample(ie : when the play mode is on, and then it's only outputing the sample, not the original signall)...this is frustrating.
thanks!

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:52 pm

yeah, iirc it only puts out a wet signal.
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:

askthedust
Wiggling with Experience

Post by askthedust » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:36 pm

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:yeah, iirc it only puts out a wet signal.
thanks.that completely sucks.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Well it might "suck" but it's consistent with the LEFT OUT on the TS2, which also outputs the wet signal only. It's pretty simple to split a signal before sending it to the TS2 and SoT. Use a multi or something like that, and take the second output wherever you want it to go. It's a modular after all.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm

so did anyone ever get the various SOT modes activated by using merely jumpers on the tyme safari mk2?

am considering one, but cannot fit the SOT into my case AT all!

the 8 bit mode and pitch stuff would be most useful to me really....

.......and does it ALWAYS crackle like that in delay mode? (the little pops/ static clicks heard in the demos in this thread). they would piss me off royally to be honest.....

djm
Learning to Wiggle

huuuuaaa

Post by djm » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:46 am

exelent now ,i can lern how to use the tyme sefary.. thank you very muchhhhhh

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:18 pm

I remember reading somewhere that the first '' A Sound of Thunder '' is supposed to work with the tyme sefari MKII and it's only 3hp.
here's some interesting tips with the MKII expander it's worth the 8hp.
[video][/video]

matttech wrote:so did anyone ever get the various SOT modes activated by using merely jumpers on the tyme safari mk2?

am considering one, but cannot fit the SOT into my case AT all!

the 8 bit mode and pitch stuff would be most useful to me really....

.......and does it ALWAYS crackle like that in delay mode? (the little pops/ static clicks heard in the demos in this thread). they would piss me off royally to be honest.....

aswefallintostatic
Common Wiggler

Post by aswefallintostatic » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:42 am

Can anyone tell me if the 'clickless' looping works both in reverse mode and when scrubbing through the file?

I basically want to do 'click free' reverse playback whilst scrubbing through a file (some clicks are ok, but not massive ones that are way louder than the original sound!!)

Cheers!

/t

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:19 am

Scott said there's a new firmware for the Tyme Sefari. It will be available as soon as the required adapter programmer will be released. It's supposed to have lots of improvements . :yay: :harvestman:
Cant wait to have this adapter

aswefallintostatic
Common Wiggler

Post by aswefallintostatic » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:18 am

robotopsy wrote:Scott said there's a new firmware for the Tyme Sefari. It will be available as soon as the required adapter programmer will be released. It's supposed to have lots of improvements . :yay: :harvestman:
Cant wait to have this adapter
Ah, that sounds interesting, i look forwards to that!

Also, can anyone help enlighten me about the sample rate / bit rate of the TS Mk II?

From, what i can work out the Bit depth is 12, expandable to 16 with the SOT, but does anyone know what the sample rate is?

Cheers,
T

aswefallintostatic
Common Wiggler

Post by aswefallintostatic » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm

ok, ignore that post, i found it here: http://www.theharvestman.org/1973mk2.php
16kHz maximum sampling rate, up to 16 bits
approximately 4 seconds of recording time at highest sampling frequency

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

Buidling a 60hp around the Tyme Sefari II as the sound src

Post by Mirrorad » Mon May 09, 2016 6:20 am

Hello, this is my first post in MuffWiggler.

I am primarily a songwriter, singer, and guitarist. I dabble in the rest. I do have some fundamental knowledge in sound synthesis and production, but not advanced by any stretch. When you start getting into the technical stuff, I rely on Google.

So I am a total noob at Eurorack modular, and I will confess up front that I really haven't a clue about what I've gotten into, though I've tried to do as much internet research as I can.

Some context for my questions.

I bought a Moog 60hp rack, a uZeus power module, a Tyme Sefari II, the Sound of Thunder module, and a Moog Mother 32.

My motivation for purchasing these was because I wanted a lofi one-shot sampler with CV triggering capability, sliders for start and stop points, and reverse playback. After doing months of research on the internet, the Tyme Sefari II seemed to be the only option, which meant that I needed to enter the world of modular.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I still need a VCA module if I am only using the Tyme Sefari II as my sound source?

2. If so, does anyone recommend a VCA that would work best for it?

3. I tried running a cable direct from the Tyme Sefari's output to a few different amplifiers, including amps that are run on batteries, and in all cases I am getting major grounding issues. I am pretty sure it is grounding issues because when I touch the module at certain points with my hand, the ground noise goes away and I can hear the pre-loaded sample (Hall & Oates) playing back.

4. Are the ground issues related to not having a VCA installed on the same power bus?

I've sent an email to support@theharvestman.org a few days ago, but still waiting for a response. Does anyone know if that is the best way to reach their tech support, or if I should be using a different route?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Mon May 09, 2016 7:06 am

Grounding I can't help you with. There are a lot of possibilities depending on how you have the module installed. Try plugging the output of the TSII into a mixer or something that doesn't amplify. Modular-levels are pretty hot. You don't need to run it into an amp.
And speaking of amps, no. You don't *need* a VCA. The VCA is useful as a volume control, but a dozen other things would be as well. Like a mixer. The VCA is mostly useful for you to control the output volume with another voltage source. But if you're just using the Tyme Sefari as an instrument, like a guitar pedal would be used, then of course you can just run the output out to wherever it needs to go.

SO, in short:

1. No
2. N/A
3. good luck
4. Unlikely
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

d.thomas
Common Wiggler

Post by d.thomas » Mon May 09, 2016 11:20 am

Mirrorad

No, just turn the loop function off for one shot.
Disable Loop and Play switches, then send gates to the P input.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Buidling a 60hp around the Tyme Sefari II as the sound s

Post by robotopsy » Mon May 09, 2016 3:28 pm

If you ever need a Good VCA one day.
The malgorythm MKII is presented like a bit crusher but I prefer to see this module as a VCA with Bit Crushing habilities.

[video][/video]

Mirrorad wrote:Hello, this is my first post in MuffWiggler.

I am primarily a songwriter, singer, and guitarist. I dabble in the rest. I do have some fundamental knowledge in sound synthesis and production, but not advanced by any stretch. When you start getting into the technical stuff, I rely on Google.

So I am a total noob at Eurorack modular, and I will confess up front that I really haven't a clue about what I've gotten into, though I've tried to do as much internet research as I can.

Some context for my questions.

I bought a Moog 60hp rack, a uZeus power module, a Tyme Sefari II, the Sound of Thunder module, and a Moog Mother 32.

My motivation for purchasing these was because I wanted a lofi one-shot sampler with CV triggering capability, sliders for start and stop points, and reverse playback. After doing months of research on the internet, the Tyme Sefari II seemed to be the only option, which meant that I needed to enter the world of modular.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I still need a VCA module if I am only using the Tyme Sefari II as my sound source?

2. If so, does anyone recommend a VCA that would work best for it?

3. I tried running a cable direct from the Tyme Sefari's output to a few different amplifiers, including amps that are run on batteries, and in all cases I am getting major grounding issues. I am pretty sure it is grounding issues because when I touch the module at certain points with my hand, the ground noise goes away and I can hear the pre-loaded sample (Hall & Oates) playing back.

4. Are the ground issues related to not having a VCA installed on the same power bus?

I've sent an email to support@theharvestman.org a few days ago, but still waiting for a response. Does anyone know if that is the best way to reach their tech support, or if I should be using a different route?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirrorad » Mon May 09, 2016 3:59 pm

MrBiggs wrote:Grounding I can't help you with. There are a lot of possibilities depending on how you have the module installed. Try plugging the output of the TSII into a mixer or something that doesn't amplify. Modular-levels are pretty hot. You don't need to run it into an amp.
And speaking of amps, no. You don't *need* a VCA. The VCA is useful as a volume control, but a dozen other things would be as well. Like a mixer. The VCA is mostly useful for you to control the output volume without h another voltage source. But if you're just using the Tyme Sefari as an instrument, like a guitar pedal would be used, then of course you can just run the output out to wherever it needs to go.

SO, in short:

1. No
2. N/A
3. good luck
4. Unlikely
Thank you for the super-fast responses!

I did purchase the Pittsburgh Modular Outs a couple of days ago hoping that would fix the issue. Isn't that a sort of simple mixer?

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirrorad » Mon May 09, 2016 4:02 pm

d.thomas wrote:Mirrorad

No, just turn the loop function off for one shot.
Disable Loop and Play switches, then send gates to the P input.
Excellent. So I can trigger it using the Mother 32's sequencer through the gate output?

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

Re: Buidling a 60hp around the Tyme Sefari II as the sound s

Post by Mirrorad » Mon May 09, 2016 5:26 pm

robotopsy wrote:If you ever need a Good VCA one day.
The malgorythm MKII is presented like a bit crusher but I prefer to see this module as a VCA with Bit Crushing habilities.

[video][/video]
That looks super-cool. Thanks for the recommendation!

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:36 pm

I've looked and can't find but is there step by step guide on this module, last night I was able to sample into it no problem and play with the sample rate etc, everytime I wanted to try and get it to loop cleaning It clicked at the end...I made one loop clean out of about ten goes...is there some trick to this..??

oh and the tap tempo is sending out a trigger pulse to sync other modules is it..?

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:I've never even thought about using the stereo channel really, and most of the time I dont even notice a change when activating the bends. :confused:

Bend switches on the original were akin to getting punched in the face by a beautiful woman. MK2 bends feel like a gentle nod from a passing stranger. Too subtle or I'm doing something wrong. Definitely going to try your "grain hunting" tactic : :tu:

....and that whole stereo channel as well!!!
so the second channel is the one under the wet dry knob..?

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:06 am

the second channel (input and output) is located in the SoT expansion and only has a wet out (as the one under the dry\wet out in the Tyme Sefari module).

clicks are pretty much unavoidable unless you are lucky enough to catch a zero crossing on both sides :)

Return to “The Harvestman”