Tyme Sefari mk. II manual

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:46 am

What hyena said. This is not a hi-fi seamless looper. If clicks are the ugliest noise you get with a Tyme Sefari, you're doing pretty good.

I don't get 'em on every loop, and I've got pretty good at finding little ways around them and whatnot. But I have cleaner, majestic loopers for the times I want dry diapers.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:18 pm

[video][/video]

any way to fix this..bought it second hand off a guy on ebay, the module is spotless and well looked after but these knobs are awfully loose..??

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:48 am

k so my new Tyme Sefari has two very wobbly knobs, I can live with it, I have been playing around with sampling and making some insane noise with it but I'm so frustrated with a couple of things...

I want to be able to delete and clean the buffer out quick and fast, I also want to be able to hear a sample coming in at the very start so I can hit the record button right on cue...is any of this possible..??

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:03 am

Answer to the first, not really. Though you can keep a silent "blank" sample in the memory and load it, which works. Not quite the same thing but effectively it does what you're wanting. EDIT: See next post. It's built-in.

As far as the second question, unless you have the WET/DRY knob totally wet, you can always monitor your source and hit record whenever you want. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

As far as the loose knobs, it's hard to tell, but my Harvestman stuff is similar. I've been using my Hertz Donut for five years without anything breaking, though.
Last edited by MrBiggs on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:11 am

Fiddlestickz wrote: i want to be able to delete and clean the buffer out quick and fast
From the very first post of this exact thread =/

It you hold down the TAP TEMPO button and press the MEMORY LOAD button, the recording memory will be blanked out for your convenience

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:14 pm

Endorfinity wrote:
Fiddlestickz wrote: i want to be able to delete and clean the buffer out quick and fast
From the very first post of this exact thread =/

It you hold down the TAP TEMPO button and press the MEMORY LOAD button, the recording memory will be blanked out for your convenience
oh ok cheers I probably read over that when looking to erase thinking tap tempo had nothing to do with it...

odd way to do things on some of these modules, not very logical or straightforward at all...almost feels like it's cryptically weird on purpose.. :zombie:

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Don't get me wrong I've been able to get some absolutely insane sounds out of this thing, just sampling the 8 bit synth from the Roland A01 and then reducing the sampling rate and putting that through a MS 20 filter and then into Eventide space and I'm conjuring up the sickest spacedout bass lines but I just wish the UI was more user friendly so it wasn't so much about happy accidents as it was about just sampling 30 seconds of audio and being able to scrub through that audio and find the parts you want quickly and trigger/sequence them..

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:15 pm

It isn't about happy accidents.
You think a guitar's user interface is clear? It's not. There are no labels, for example. Multiple strings play the same notes, and the same string plays different notes. You just have to learn it. If the thing had a button for everything, it would have a million buttons. After a while, you just know.

And, as I'm proof, after a while, you forget and relearn.

BUT ALSO, modular isn't like other things. When people come to Muffs and write things like they wish it were more like Ableton, or more like their Virus, or more like something else, I find that they're not here very long. :banana:

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:10 am

I have not said i wish it were like some other product, I simply want something that is straightforward to use, you know...like Doepfer modules...??

modular can be wacky and it can be straightforward, there is room for everything, this sampler is unnecessarily difficult and awkward to use, there are more people saying as much as not, anyways, it is what it is, perhaps a MkIII could come closer to sanity and straightforward..??

Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:24 am

The Harvestman modules do 40% of what you iwant them to, mostly they do their own thing. Accept it or move along.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:54 am

Oh man. Harvestman -- Doepfer. Night and Day. Dogs and Cats. Chaos and Order. That crazy hot but insane girl I dated who broke my heart and that lady I married.

I don't find it difficult at all, but that's why there are so many choices. The personality of the designer and builder makes its way into each of these various brands of modules. The devices that seem weird at first almost always end up inspiring me to think about how I'm making sounds and music with them in different ways than I would have. Some people like the 100% predictable and analytical approach like Doepfer. For some, using the modular is like science. For others it's like art.
When you say it's "unnecessarily difficult and awkward to use" I don't even understand what that means. The MakeNoise Phonogene has been accused of this as well, and they're two very different approaches for getting to the same thing, and the two different designs lead me to do different things with them. I for one don't need all my knobs perfectly labeled and everything to be spelled out for me on the face of the module. Nor do I need the six strings of the guitar marked, and instructions written on the frets telling me how to use it in a predictable way. It's an instrument.

Your milage may vary. If you don't like it, sell it, and save yourself the frustration.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:49 pm

I find Harvestman modules do 170% of what I want them to do.

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:46 am

MrBiggs wrote:Oh man. Harvestman -- Doepfer. Night and Day. Dogs and Cats. Chaos and Order. That crazy hot but insane girl I dated who broke my heart and that lady I married.

I don't find it difficult at all, but that's why there are so many choices. The personality of the designer and builder makes its way into each of these various brands of modules. The devices that seem weird at first almost always end up inspiring me to think about how I'm making sounds and music with them in different ways than I would have. Some people like the 100% predictable and analytical approach like Doepfer. For some, using the modular is like science. For others it's like art.
When you say it's "unnecessarily difficult and awkward to use" I don't even understand what that means. The MakeNoise Phonogene has been accused of this as well, and they're two very different approaches for getting to the same thing, and the two different designs lead me to do different things with them. I for one don't need all my knobs perfectly labeled and everything to be spelled out for me on the face of the module. Nor do I need the six strings of the guitar marked, and instructions written on the frets telling me how to use it in a predictable way. It's an instrument.

Your milage may vary. If you don't like it, sell it, and save yourself the frustration.
what about how the switches are flicked up to be on...is that not intentionally upside down land..?? nearly every switch I know of is down for on...yesterday I was able monitor the incoming audio quite readily, now today the same thing and it won't do it, there is a huge delay between when I play a not on the keyboard and when the sample is heard and sometimes there is nothing being heard..

frustrated beyond help really..

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:15 am

so I've managed to get it record something again and have made some really deep nasty repeating basslines by using the start and end sliders close together and winding the sample rate back to the left, it's pretty good at doing this stuff, will upload some examples next week when I'm off work..

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:00 am

Fiddlestickz wrote:so I've managed to get it record something again and have made some really deep nasty repeating basslines by using the start and end sliders close together and winding the sample rate back to the left, it's pretty good at doing this stuff, will upload some examples next week when I'm off work..
Exsamples?

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirrorad » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Like Fiddlestickz, the Tyme Sefari has been more frustration than inspiration for me, but I haven' t given up on it yet. I just picked up an Addac301 Floor Control and an M-Audio SP-1 momentary switch pedal. I'm desperately hoping that this combo will allow me to capture samples on the fly with less frustration and more intention. I'll report back after I've spent some time with it.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Today I plugged my ribbon controller into my TS2 for the first time. Using the gate output to control play or record, and position to control various things, is pretty expressive.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:39 pm

[video][/video]

Turn on captions and translations to English.
:tu:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:40 pm

Fiddlestickz wrote:
MrBiggs wrote:Oh man. Harvestman -- Doepfer. Night and Day. Dogs and Cats. Chaos and Order. That crazy hot but insane girl I dated who broke my heart and that lady I married.

what about how the switches are flicked up to be on...is that not intentionally upside down land..?? nearly every switch I know of is down for on...yesterday I was able monitor the incoming audio quite readily, now today the same thing and it won't do it, there is a huge delay between when I play a not on the keyboard and when the sample is heard and sometimes there is nothing being heard..

frustrated beyond help really..
Do you have record on the entire time? The buffer (4 to whatever seconds) needs to fill up before it starts repeating. Once your input sound is done, turn off recording.

Up position is considered ON or binary HIGH, down is ZERO or OFF. This makes sense (binary logic). Note if you're sending CV gates then make sure the switches are DOWN.

rovinginsight
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rovinginsight » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:06 pm

I just bought a Tyme Sefari and I'm experiencing a crackling with the faders - I know there's been a buffer issue when one is recording, which I'm going to check later.

So, when the Dir switch is in the down position, the Start fader crackles whenever it reaches near 1/3 across, and often when it's close to the End fader position. When the Dir switch is up, the End fader does the same thing, which leads me to think it's not a mechanical issue, but maybe the way the faders are scanning through a certain point in the sample? The crackling SOUNDS like the noise of a crapped cable or a dirty fader but the behavior is not consistent, or rather too consistent to be a dirty fader (and the unit is new).

I did search TS crackling issues here, but haven't really been able to find info that mentions specifically the faders. Hopefully someone can help out? Otherwise I'm very happy with it and have made some really interesting stuff on it so far.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

oranginafiend
Common Wiggler

Post by oranginafiend » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Just bought a Tyme Sefari Mk. 2 + ASoT and I remember reading that a true stereo signal is recommended for stereo mode, but would it cause any problems if you put two completely unrelated signals into the two inputs?

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

You can put 2 completely different signal into the 2 inputs.... and you can add a 3rd one if you use the feedback input too :yay:

oranginafiend wrote:Just bought a Tyme Sefari Mk. 2 + ASoT and I remember reading that a true stereo signal is recommended for stereo mode, but would it cause any problems if you put two completely unrelated signals into the two inputs?

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:19 am

yes!!!! unrelated sounds on the two channels and fiddling with different sample rates as you record and overdub can warp you into really uncharted territories!!!
and it can sort of emulate an old-school tape recorder using the loop functions and jumping around in the buffer to overdub or record into specific locations.
record with very low sample rate for extra precision (the buffer is longer at lower sample rates so you can sort of use it to zoom in and out)

oranginafiend
Common Wiggler

Post by oranginafiend » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:33 am

robotopsy wrote:You can put 2 completely different signal into the 2 inputs.... and you can add a 3rd one if you use the feedback input too :yay:
hyena wrote:yes!!!! unrelated sounds on the two channels and fiddling with different sample rates as you record and overdub can warp you into really uncharted territories!!!
and it can sort of emulate an old-school tape recorder using the loop functions and jumping around in the buffer to overdub or record into specific locations.
record with very low sample rate for extra precision (the buffer is longer at lower sample rates so you can sort of use it to zoom in and out)
hell yea that's what i needed to hear! friday can't get here fast enough :goo:

p.s. love your vids robotopsy. keep it up

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:26 am

Quick question regarding the stereo output.

I have my right channel input multed with a stackable to the Right Channel In on ASOT and my Ladik A-310 Headphone Amp Right Channel.

I'm then taking the ASOT Right Output and sending that to the "Mult" jack on the headphone module.

I'm also doing this with the left side, except taking the "Dry" output and Left (wet) Output from the TS to the left side of the headphone output.

This is allowing me to listen to the dry/wet mixed at 50/50, which is awesome.

BUT - I know Mults are not Mixers. Am I risking damage to anything? I figured that since it's all out of phase signals the chances are lessened, but should this work-around be avoided?? My concern is either overloading the headphone amp, or modules further back up the signal path (bionic lester BP outputs in this case).

I'll probably email both Ladik and the Gov to get their thoughts.

:despair: :help: :guinness:

Return to “The Harvestman”