OK just bought a harvestman piston honda. Manual?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:39 am

thetwlo wrote:is there a manual?
it's been deleted from the site completely, and the last archived version still states "coming soon"
does a manual exist?
I know some users made their own, (THANKS!!) but it's far from complete.
What do the "Morph" leds indicate on mk. 1?
Unsure who to attribute this to.
EDIT: This is actually posted in this thread by Starrefision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:55 am

Also:

[video][/video]

And:

"The decimal points on each of the number displays represents whether interpolation is turned on for each of the axes (named HITHER and YON). On powerup, interpolation is disabled for HITHER and enabled for YON. To toggle through them, press the top left button. Hold this button down for two seconds to light the two orange LEDs. When they are lit, waveform smoothing is enabled. It works best on waveforms with gentle slopes like sines, and can greatly decrease quantization noise if that's your preference.

The MORPH DISCONTINUITY control adjusts how "stepped" the interpolation is when enabled. At full CCW it is as smooth as possible, at full CW it's like the interpolation is disabled. Somewhere inbetween, with 4-16 steps between each stored waveform, you can nail the Konami SCC sound pretty well if you use this effect with the noisy waves in the neighborhood of ROM: A HITHER: 0-3 YON: 8-F.

Press the TABLE ADDRESSING button to toggle between the internal oscillator and the external input. The external input expects a +/-5V signal for "normal" waveshaping operation, but you can send it whatever you like such as drum loops and wolfman tape. When the external input is active, the main frequency control (and CV input) on the Piston Honda instead act as a gain control for voltage-controlled waveshaping depth. Use ROM: A HITHER: D-F for a variety of transfer functions designed for the external input (you can morph these, too!)

The ROM SELECT button toggles between the A ROM (harsh) and B ROM (additive). A logic HIGH applied to the nearby GATE input will toggle the selection.

If you have a ROM expander board installed, you can hold down the ROM SELECT button for 2 seconds and the display will change. Use the HITHER knob to select the ROM chip to be selected for the A slot (what gets selected by the button and gate input), and the YON knob to select the chip for the B slot. You can select chips named A-H in this mode, A and B are the factory waveforms and the remaining six represent the sockets on the expander board. Release the select button to return to normal operation.

Just like the donut, keep your CVs for the three main inputs within 0-5V range for best results , you can police your voltage levels by using the provided offset controls (big knob) and attenuators (little knob).

The interpolation that causes the two orange LEDs to light (by holding down the button) is the waveform smoothing. For the smooth morphing on Hither or Yon, tap that button (dont hold it) until the decimal point lights on the display for the dimension you'd like to be smooth. The Piston boots up with morphing enabled on Yon and disabled on Hither and you can have all four combinations of either, none, or both.

The PH CV inputs (for discon, hither, and yon) expect a CV input of 0-5V (which is the sum of the big offset knob which can generate 0-5 by itself, and the CV input). Anything outside this range may cause behavior like what you'd describe. So, for a +/-10V CV input range, you'd turn the big knob to 12 o'clock and then bring the little attenuator knob up until it's hitting the range you'd like.”

Starrefision
Common Wiggler

Post by Starrefision » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:03 am

At the time, the info i posted on page 1 of this thread was the closest thing to a manual for the ph mk1.
I remember piecing together all that text way back from Scott and other threads.
I believe ph was one of the modules without an official manual, like the double andore and stillson.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:11 am

Starrefision wrote:i do believe the manual was always here on muffs,
(yes, written by the harvestman) you just had to look for it across many threads.
really? can you point to this one?

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:14 am

mt3 wrote:
it's been deleted from the site completely, and the last archived version still states "coming soon"
does a manual exist?
is there a proper manual? what do the two morph LEDs mean.?

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:26 am

thetwlo wrote:
mt3 wrote:
does a manual exist?
where is the support or info on older modules?

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:58 am

still no manual?
I love them, but, it's crazy, and the expander???

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:39 am

thetwlo wrote:
thetwlo wrote:
mt3 wrote:
does a manual exist?
where is the support or info on older modules?
These are artifacts from the wild west days of Europeanrack modular.
There were no manuals. And when there were they were immediately set aflame for their heresies toward the exploratory serendipities of modular.
A manual violates the Freiheit with prescriptivist constraints & restraints.
Instead, the individual is an aggregate of personal experiences (both failures and successes, but especially failure), rather than the vicarious existence a manual (re)enforces (i.e., the synthesized life is an aggregate of other people's documented experiences).
Manuals beget a demand for dependence. "Write your own manual" or "explain to someone else in your words" fosters the independence and self-reliance necessary for modular survival (not restricted to modular "synthesis" per se).

Further I believe my 2nd post above addressed your question regarding the morphing LEDs. Also rewatch Surachai's clinical abusings of the module.

The explanation is not intended to offend or dismiss, but exactly the opposite: to explain the reason for the absence of documentation in the face of "criticism" that disparages or dismisses such conscious design decisions that it is unable to understand.

Note the "2nd stage" that has been reached once the manual has been acquired: it gets you no closer to "understanding" anything. Realize the manual steals your gaze and focus, the new endeavor being to translate its sentences into "meaning".

If there is information or documentation for any other Harvestman modules you require, feel free to ask and I should be able to provide you with what you need.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:53 am

thetwlo wrote:and the expander???
Is this what you mean?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:39 pm

mt3 wrote:
thetwlo wrote:and the expander???
Is this what you mean?
Thanks!!! much appreciated.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:55 pm

mt3 wrote: Further I believe my 2nd post above addressed your question regarding the morphing LEDs. Also rewatch Surachai's clinical abusings of the module.
Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I couldn't find what I was looking for because it doesn't exist, it wasn't on the great diagram or in the video, just wanted to be sure it wasn't something that wasn't covered in either.

I just got this used so was just trying to make sure it was working properly, and since one segment was out, I was afraid the LEDs weren't working correctly. So was looking for something official/complete on it.
It seemed odd that both were on or off, (why not just one led?) So spent too long looking for that.

Anyway, it sounds great of course, not sure which is my favorite version, they are all great.

Return to “The Harvestman”