Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:43 pm

Anyone have a volca to test the sync out to the ext tap in?

Also, if I sync one side does the other side sync up as well?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:30 am

gringostar wrote:Anyone have a volca to test the sync out to the ext tap in?

Volca sync should work fine with tap in. The only reason I can think of that it would not is if it is not loud enough.

No, the other side is entirely independent, you would need to split the signal from the Volca. But an even more fun solution would be to take on of the outputs from the synced section and use it as sync for the other section.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:42 pm

gringostar wrote:Anyone have a volca to test the sync out to the ext tap in?

A Stackable or mult can be used to send the same sync clock to both halves.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks!

I've just read reports that some clocked modules don't sync well to the volca's and wanted to make sure before committing to anything.

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Damn this module looks sick. Think it would be a good companion to PH MK III and DA MK I. Ive been looking at a noise source and random looper for my rack.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:14 am

lordymosh wrote:Damn this module looks sick. Think it would be a good companion to PH MK III and DA MK I. Ive been looking at a noise source and random looper for my rack.
Yes yes yes.
Excellent for wavetables!
:zen:

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 am

mt3 wrote:
lordymosh wrote:Damn this module looks sick. Think it would be a good companion to PH MK III and DA MK I. Ive been looking at a noise source and random looper for my rack.
Yes yes yes.
Wavetables for the win. Is it correct to think of the zorlon cannon as a part turing machine, part wogglebug?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:37 am

lordymosh wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Yes yes yes.
Wavetables for the win. Is it correct to think of the zorlon cannon as a part turing machine, part wogglebug?
Yes, but what is the Turing Machine part? The sequenced aspect?

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:53 pm

mt3 wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Yes yes yes.
Yeah I thought you could use it as some sort of random sequence generator? Or is it that you need another module to use it as a random sequence generator?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:55 pm

lordymosh wrote:
mt3 wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Yes yes yes.
Yeah I thought you could use it as some sort of random sequence generator? Or is it that you need another module to use it as a random sequence generator?
Yes, you can. I'm just unfamiliar with the bells and whistles of the Turing Machine.

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:18 pm

they are similar in that both rely on linear feedback shift registers.
anyway the uses are fairly different. the turing machine shines at creating pseudo random melodic sequences that you can lock when you find a sweet spot and leave it looping until you are tired of it and you unlock it.
with the expanders you also get good pseudo random gates.

the zorlon cannon mk2 is very similar BUT it shines for two things:
-generating pseudo random gates (max 8 of them at once)
-generating pitched noise (old 8 bit atari style)

one side of it is optimized for gates, the other for audio BUT you can use them both as you want.

each side has 4 independent lfsr each with an output. you can tap your gate sequences OR your pitched noises from there.
PLUS both sides have a MIX out. each lfsr has a pot that you use to mix the single lfsr's to the mix out.
when used for audio you get harmonies of pitched noises, when used in low frequency you have cv sequences on the mix out.

those sequences are looping but the loops can be very long hence sometimes it feels like random. you have independent control of length of the register and taps for each of the 8 lfsr's. with those you change the sequence of gates (when used sub audio) or shape your sound when in audio rate.
those determine also the length and character of the cv sequence on the mix out.

when you want you can scramble it sending a gate to the SEED input, your sequences and sounds will change immediately as the registers are seeded with new numbers.

so with the turing you usually go in random until you lock it. with the zorlon you usually go looping until you seed it.

you also have cv control on the speed of both sides independently OR you can clock them (to have clocked random gates).

this module is perhaps my absolute favourite eurorack module when i think about how it is designed, how crazy it can be or how useful i find it in every patch i make. even if i own far more complex modules (like my beloved er-301) the zorlon mk2 has a special place in my heart and patches. the Governor nailed it terrificly with this one!

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:21 am

I can't wait for some free time to open up in my schedule so I can play with my ZCmk2 more. I don't totally understand what I'm looking at with the tap/length screen despite reading a wiki entry on it, but I'm sure I'll get there.

Its cool to have a PH / HD / SH / DA / ZC mk2 lineup in my case...looking forward to finishing my Harvestman Polivoks and adding a bionic lester and kermit eventually...

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:44 am

monoscan wrote:I can't wait for some free time to open up in my schedule so I can play with my ZCmk2 more. I don't totally understand what I'm looking at with the tap/length screen despite reading a wiki entry on it, but I'm sure I'll get there.
Neither do I. That's the best part.

Channel A: 0-5V Outputs
For the top half of ZCmkII, think of it as an idiosyncratic fractional clock divider.
Hook the Gates up to percussive elements to hear the rhythmic variations possible. Set all the Gates to the same LENGTH while giving them each a different TAP pattern value.

Channel B: 10Vpp Outputs
For the bottom half of ZCmkII, think of it as a subharmonic timbre deharmonizing generator.
Plug a square wave into EXT CLK IN B. Shorter LENGTHs for a Gate corresponds to a higher frequency, longer LENGTHs produce a lower subfrequency. TAP pattern values adjust timbre.
The MIX OUT in this case would be a fractured, aliased, impaired, and mutated spectral deadditive decomposition synthesis of the input signal.
Bastards begetting bastards.
And as Guv'n'r says: "Try FMing the lower half of the module with a clean sine, gets nice and disgusting".

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:34 am

I cam here to ask ya'll about driving LPGs, such as the Optomix or LxD with the Zorlon Cannon gates into the a strike input. I find that 5v is a little too weak to get the response from the LPG I would like.

1. I am curious if any of you fine folks have experienced this and figured something out.
2. It occurred to me as I was writing this that maybe offsetting the bottom half which is 10v PP might work?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:25 pm

dysonant wrote:I cam here to ask ya'll about driving LPGs, such as the Optomix or LxD with the Zorlon Cannon gates into the a strike input. I find that 5v is a little too weak to get the response from the LPG I would like.

1. I am curious if any of you fine folks have experienced this and figured something out.
2. It occurred to me as I was writing this that maybe offsetting the bottom half which is 10v PP might work?
No LPG here for me to try out.
:despair:

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:53 pm

dysonant wrote:I cam here to ask ya'll about driving LPGs, such as the Optomix or LxD with the Zorlon Cannon gates into the a strike input. I find that 5v is a little too weak to get the response from the LPG I would like.

i actually had this same exact question for walker at make noise. was trying to decide which ZC to go with in a system with an lxd and he seemed to think that hitting it with a mk1 12v gate would def clip it, and that a 5v from mk2 wouldn't really open it enough. hadn't considered using the bottom half of the mk2 for this...

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:01 am

I got 2X LXD & 1 Optomix and Striking it with the zorlon Cannon MKII is no problem here.
In fact it's really cool.... sorry no offense.
Maybe you should check if you remove other module from the line. there may be a loss of power or something !?!??!?@@?!!?!??!!?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:31 am

Hmm... Have you tried striking your LxD or Optomix with higher the 5v? Like 7-10v? It opens the filter more. So, yes, the ZC MKII does get the LPGs ringing, sure, but it does not open them up as much as I would like. There is a whole range of dynamics I cannot reach when using the ZC.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:08 pm

dysonant wrote:Hmm... Have you tried striking your LxD or Optomix with higher the 5v? Like 7-10v? It opens the filter more. So, yes, the ZC MKII does get the LPGs ringing, sure, but it does not open them up as much as I would like. There is a whole range of dynamics I cannot reach when using the ZC.
Curious: Is this a feature of the LPGs or a deficiency of ZC? Are those LPGs spec'd for 5V? Or greater?

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:17 pm

mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:Hmm... Have you tried striking your LxD or Optomix with higher the 5v? Like 7-10v? It opens the filter more. So, yes, the ZC MKII does get the LPGs ringing, sure, but it does not open them up as much as I would like. There is a whole range of dynamics I cannot reach when using the ZC.
Curious: Is this a feature of the LPGs or a deficiency of ZC? Are those LPGs spec'd for 5V? Or greater?
the strike inputs want to see 8-10v

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:49 pm

jwm wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Yep, I mean, the 5v output of the ZC will hit the LPG and make it ring, but it definitely does not open it up to where you want it.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Second attempt

I'm having the same trouble if I'm striking the LXd or Optomix with the clock out of the Tyme Sefari MKII which I know is far lower than 5V.
But any other clock source 5V or higher goes the same dynamic range.
Maybe your Zorlon's outputs are having some Voltage drops :waah:

dysonant wrote:
jwm wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Yep, I mean, the 5v output of the ZC will hit the LPG and make it ring, but it definitely does not open it up to where you want it.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm

jwm wrote:
mt3 wrote:
What module is recommended to pair with striking LPGs?

jjh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjh » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 am

mt3 wrote:
I use Maths or Function to convert weak gates to strong gates (set attack to zero, decay to taste and use EOR output).

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:57 am

I use Blue Lantern : Mr.Blue ( Gate to trigger converter
and also 4ms RCD & SCM works very well or an amplifier :banana:
jjh wrote:
mt3 wrote:
I use Maths or Function to convert weak gates to strong gates (set attack to zero, decay to taste and use EOR output).

Return to “The Harvestman”