Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Got the Zorlon today, and it's pretty ace! I only got to wiggle with it for about 30 minutes before heading off to work (where I'm currently at), but read just before I left that the B Outs are meant for audio and the A Outs for gates. I had read the manual prior to getting the module, but mixed this up, so basically used the A Out for audio and B out for gates - but that worked just fine too.

So, anyone know what the difference in design is between the two channels? How is the one part optimized for audio and the other optimized for gates?

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:35 am

The upper ( A ) four outputs are positive voltage only. Setting the range at audio rate will make sounds. the lower section is bipolar, properly for audio.

But each section of the zorlon can be used for both ways. :yay:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 am

Ah, ok, cool, did not know that. Thanks again, robotopsy! This thing is pretty damn cool. :tu:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Made a little drone with the Cannon today. Zorlon Cannon only sound source, but modulated and filtered and whatnot by ADDAC 601, Modcan Dual Delay, Erbe-Verb, Dr Octature and sequenced by Rene (with the gates from Zorlon).

http://soundcloud.com/green-gym/zorlon- ... mkii-drone

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:06 am

Anyone know the power draw of this module by any chance? :despair:

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:08 pm

A quick demo of the Zorlon Cannon MKII

:harvestman:

oneano
Common Wiggler

Post by oneano » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:35 pm

With the gates being programmable. Can it be used as a quad clock divider?

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:35 pm

oneano wrote:With the gates being programmable. Can it be used as a quad clock divider?
No. It can only be programmed to selected LFSR patterns, not in the way something like a Triggerman / step sequencer can be programmed. The gates follow the clock but they will not be symmetrical /2 /4 /8 divisions. Sometimes it has a clock-divider type effect, especially at audio rate.

This helped me understand what it does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_fee ... t_register

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:18 pm

I recently noticed clock bleed on the Cannon. For example, if I'm using the lower section for audio, and the upper section is pulsing slowly, the pitch of the lower will go up a bit when the clock is high.

Has anyone else had this issue? There are ways to work around it in most cases, and sometimes it could be useful (certianly consistent with the Harvestman approach), but I'm curious.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Voggg wrote:I recently noticed clock bleed on the Cannon. For example, if I'm using the lower section for audio, and the upper section is pulsing slowly, the pitch of the lower will go up a bit when the clock is high.

Has anyone else had this issue? There are ways to work around it in most cases, and sometimes it could be useful (certianly consistent with the Harvestman approach), but I'm curious.

No I dont have this issue
The only thing that affect both section is the seed input
Maybe check the AMP on your line
some modules has more consumption than other :hmm: :despair:

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:38 am

Seems that there's bleed all over my system lately :/
I really want to switch from MN boards to a large case with linear power. I think that would help but I just don't have the space.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:49 pm

Voggg wrote:Seems that there's bleed all over my system lately :/
I really want to switch from MN boards to a large case with linear power. I think that would help but I just don't have the space.
I solved this problem since I use 4Ms distro buw and some powerful power supply :nana: in all DIY cases

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:26 pm

The 4MS boards look good. I don't understand why the noisier boards are so popular with case manufacturers. I love Make Noise in general but I wish this wasn't a problem.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Here's a "glitched envelope" patch I've been doing lately:

Set the Zorlon clock to somewhere in the red - low orange range and modulate to taste. Patch the Zorlon mix out to a VCA and an AD envelope to control the VCA.

You can use the VCA out as is, or mix it with a mult of the original AD envelope if it's too harsh.

:agonizer:

jestern77
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jestern77 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:35 pm

HI i'm thinking of getting the zorlon cannon to make a self influenced clock with the wogglebug. Is there a way to get the clock out somehow?
I read that "you can set the output to 1 bit and have that output as the clock with 50% duty cycle", what does that mean exactly, that the clock would be shifted in phase?
Weekly laser videos: https://www.instagram.com/_jestern_/
Full laser videos: https://vimeo.com/jestern

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:34 pm

jestern77 wrote:HI i'm thinking of getting the zorlon cannon to make a self influenced clock with the wogglebug. Is there a way to get the clock out somehow?
I read that "you can set the output to 1 bit and have that output as the clock with 50% duty cycle", what does that mean exactly, that the clock would be shifted in phase?
Zorlon has 8 outputs, 4 each controlled by 2 clocks. You can set 1 (or more) output to one bit to get the clock. "50% duty cycle" simply means that the clock is high half the time, low half the time.

On the top row of outputs, the voltage will go from 5v high to 0v low. On the bottom row, it goes from 5v to -5v.

Both clocks on Zorlon can be CV influenced. (They can also be replaced with external clocks.)

jestern77
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jestern77 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks Vogg, but can you independently choose the bitrate for every individual output? For example I'd like to use one output as final clock but teh other like random gates?

My idea is to put in an external clock and alter it's speed with CV from a sample and hold. I use the final tempo to trigger the sample and hold. It's a feedback clock basically with a controllable degree of randomization: when the range knob is at 0 I should only have the steady clock, the more I open the range the more irregularity I get, does that sound right?
On top I have 3 or possibly 7 random gates...

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:41 pm

...but can you independently choose the bitrate for every individual output? For example I'd like to use one output as final clock but teh other like random gates?
Yes, you can independently set the length and tap for each output, so you could set one output to 1 bit (length of 1) and have the others set to completely different random sounding patterns.

jestern77
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jestern77 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:05 am

sounds good!

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:14 am

jestern77 wrote: My idea is to put in an external clock and alter it's speed with CV from a sample and hold. I use the final tempo to trigger the sample and hold. It's a feedback clock basically with a controllable degree of randomization: when the range knob is at 0 I should only have the steady clock, the more I open the range the more irregularity I get, does that sound right?
On top I have 3 or possibly 7 random gates...
If I'm reading this correctly, you won't be able to do this exactly. The CV input on Zorlon is only for the internal clock. If you patch an external clock, it bypasses the CV.

However, you could do something like this: Put the external clock into the bottom half, take the mix output and use it to CV the internal clock for the top half. This would give you a stepped (according to the mix knob settings) quasi-random sequence speeding up and slowing down the top four gate outputs (with the base speed set by the top internal clock).

With this patch, you can use the CV knob as you describe the range knob at the bottom. With the knob at center, the bottom will have no influence.

carvingcode
Wiggling with Experience

Section B stuck in constant high pulse

Post by carvingcode » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:30 am

I somehow have got Section B (audio) to only produce constant pulses on all 4 channels. The pulses appear to be the same as if the range button was set to high and frequency knob turned all the ay up.

Nothing I do has any affect - range button, frequency knob, changing config of the separate outputs. Powering off/on has no affect.

Section A performs correctly.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Section B stuck in constant high pulse

Post by mt3 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:29 am

carvingcode wrote:I somehow have got Section B (audio) to only produce constant pulses on all 4 channels. The pulses appear to be the same as if the range button was set to high and frequency knob turned all the ay up.

Nothing I do has any affect - range button, frequency knob, changing config of the separate outputs. Powering off/on has no affect.

What about ext clock in?

carvingcode
Wiggling with Experience

Post by carvingcode » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:38 am

mt3 wrote:
carvingcode wrote:I somehow have got Section B (audio) to only produce constant pulses on all 4 channels. The pulses appear to be the same as if the range button was set to high and frequency knob turned all the ay up.

What about ext clock in?
No. That has no effect either. It does on section A.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:40 am

carvingcode wrote:
mt3 wrote:

What about ext clock in?
What about holding down the button for 2 seconds (state saving)?

carvingcode
Wiggling with Experience

Post by carvingcode » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:14 pm

mt3 wrote:
carvingcode wrote:
mt3 wrote:

What about ext clock in?
What about holding down the button for 2 seconds (state saving)?
I just tried that and it also has no effect.

Wonder if there is a way to get the ZC back to its factor defaults?

Return to “The Harvestman”