Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Section B stuck in constant high pulse

Post by robotopsy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:04 pm

I may suggest to update the firmware of the module. I think it will reset the module.

carvingcode wrote:
mt3 wrote:
carvingcode wrote:
mt3 wrote:
carvingcode wrote:I somehow have got Section B (audio) to only produce constant pulses on all 4 channels. The pulses appear to be the same as if the range button was set to high and frequency knob turned all the ay up.

Nothing I do has any affect - range button, frequency knob, changing config of the separate outputs. Powering off/on has no affect.

Section A performs correctly.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
What about ext clock in?
No. That has no effect either. It does on section A.
What about holding down the button for 2 seconds (state saving)?
I just tried that and it also has no effect.

Wonder if there is a way to get the ZC back to its factor defaults?

carvingcode
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Section B stuck in constant high pulse

Post by carvingcode » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:25 pm

I also noticed that the RANGE button doesn't blink to indicate save was successful.

robotopsy wrote:I may suggest to update the firmware of the module. I think it will reset the module.

carvingcode wrote:
mt3 wrote:
carvingcode wrote:
mt3 wrote:
carvingcode wrote:I somehow have got Section B (audio) to only produce constant pulses on all 4 channels. The pulses appear to be the same as if the range button was set to high and frequency knob turned all the ay up.

Nothing I do has any affect - range button, frequency knob, changing config of the separate outputs. Powering off/on has no affect.

Section A performs correctly.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
What about ext clock in?
No. That has no effect either. It does on section A.
What about holding down the button for 2 seconds (state saving)?
I just tried that and it also has no effect.

Wonder if there is a way to get the ZC back to its factor defaults?

Tunatoboggan
Common Wiggler

Post by Tunatoboggan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:32 pm

has anyone had any luck finding knobs that will fit on the 8 tiny shafts? It's hard to know what each one's set at without any kind of pointer.

Something like this guy has?

[video][/video]

They seem to be the old harvestman small knobs, would the smallest rogans work?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 pm

Tunatoboggan wrote:has anyone had any luck finding knobs that will fit on the 8 tiny shafts? It's hard to know what each one's set at without any kind of pointer.

Something like this guy has?

[video][/video]

They seem to be the old harvestman small knobs, would the smallest rogans work?
The ones on MakeNoise? Or Mutable? If you have those pull the knobs off and try.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:26 am

No real interesting modulation happening here, but I just wanted to test the ability to make chords with the Zorlon Cannon. Sounds pretty cool

[video][/video]

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:54 pm

dysonant wrote:No real interesting modulation happening here, but I just wanted to test the ability to make chords with the Zorlon Cannon. Sounds pretty cool
It's like a digital Boards of Canada.
:tu:

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:36 am

Does anyone know how to tell which firmware you have on the ZC II? I am unable to save settings. I do not see the range buttons blink when holding for two seconds.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:49 am

dysonant wrote:Does anyone know how to tell which firmware you have on the ZC II? I am unable to save settings. I do not see the range buttons blink when holding for two seconds.
"When you have edited the outputs to your satisfaction, you may store them to memory by pressing down on the rotary encoder knob for 2 seconds. The "range" buttons will blink once to confirm this storage. To reload the stored preset, double-tap the encoder knob quickly without holding it down."

Changelog for the Zorlon mk 2 doesn't mention any changes to the saving of settings. Should be identical for all firmwares.
I don't have firmware number displayed on mine either anywhere.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks mt3 I've got a show coming on Friday, so I am hesitant to pull it from my patch and check using my PicKit. I know for sure that there is no blink when pressing though.

I guess this weekend after I unpatch everything I'll see if I need to upgrade. I hope it is ok and not defective. Seems to be working for the most part except this one issue.

I'll just set my bits pre show and leave the modular on until I play.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:29 pm

dysonant wrote:Thanks mt3 I've got a show coming on Friday, so I am hesitant to pull it from my patch and check using my PicKit. I know for sure that there is no blink when pressing though.

I guess this weekend after I unpatch everything I'll see if I need to upgrade. I hope it is ok and not defective. Seems to be working for the most part except this one issue.

Even though the light doesn't come on, does it still save?
What does double-clicking do?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:32 pm

dysonant wrote:Thanks mt3 I've got a show coming on Friday, so I am hesitant to pull it from my patch and check using my PicKit. I know for sure that there is no blink when pressing though.

Ah, geez.
At the top of this page (pg 8 in this thread) someone discussed the exact same issue.
:party:

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:58 pm

mt3 wrote:

Even though the light doesn't come on, does it still save?
What does double-clicking do?
Dummy me didn't check what happens on a double click. Will do so tonight.

And yeah, I saw the post by the other person, but there did not seem to be follow up. :hihi:

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:01 pm

OK, I think it is working. A different pattern definitely loads, but I had to hold that button for at least 5 seconds. I'll test fully later this weekend.

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:46 am

I've been trying to find documentation/videos/info on using the Cannon to create CV sequences to control (say) the pitch of an oscillator. But I've drawn a blank --- any pointers?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:54 am

richc90 wrote:I've been trying to find documentation/videos/info on using the Cannon to create CV sequences to control (say) the pitch of an oscillator. But I've drawn a blank --- any pointers?
The ZC main functions are oscillator and gate. I've personally never tried to control pitch with it. Are you expecting accurate pitch control? My assumption is it would affect pitch, but with little to no stability. To do this you would need the ZC to be in clocked (quite slow) Orange mode or Red mode and use the MIX out. Then adjust the attenuators for each output of the MIX.

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 am

What I'm thinking about is clocking the Cannon slowly, mixing the four channels of gates, and then sending the mix to the 1vo on an oscillator via a quantiser. At the moment, I can do this by mixing the outputs of a clock divider in a polarising mixer and sending that to an osc via my A156, but I was wondering what results could be achieved on the Cannon (which I find fascinating but daunting!). Hopefully that is a bit clearer?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:48 pm

So that sounds pretty feasible. I've actually never run the output of the ZC through a scope, but once I get my DATA it will be the first module I try. But, I would expect running it through a quantizer would work quite well, and if you send the individual gate outs to an EG then you could have pitch and semi-random gates all at the same time. Good idea.

The ZC is really daunting at first. I bought one before I was ready for it a while back. Ended up trading it for something else because I was baffled and could not get shit from it. Two years later I was like, huh, this thing is quite awesome, as I originally suspected. I think it is not so confusing if you don't think about setting the bits in a technical way and more just fool around with them until you have something that you like.

I often clock the top part for gates and bottom for audio as suggested. A neat trick is sending one of the four top gates into the Seed input. Adds a bit more random but each gate is still "on the grid".

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:53 pm

This is where the Evin 209 shines.
Qotile Ultimatum is also beautiful.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Qotile Ultimatum is basically built into MK II though, right?

How would those modules help with what richc90 is asking? I am just curious because I honestly know very little about either one.

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:07 pm

dysonant wrote:Qotile Ultimatum is basically built into MK II though, right?

How would those modules help with what richc90 is asking? I am just curious because I honestly know very little about either one.
Assuming it works like the A138m, I'm imagining one nice thing about doing the mixing in the Evin is that you get could mix in a negative offset?

More generally, I'm hoping that the Cannon could replace both the A118 (for noise) and A149-1+2 (for clocked random voltages and related gates). Obviously, there are differences, but that's the idea. (Then replace the A152 with Argos Bleak and go bonkers...)

p.s. Thanks for the earlier feedback dysonant. I think the Cannon is the only module that I'm a little bit afraid off (apart from menu-divey things). But fears need conquering!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:28 pm

richc90 wrote:
dysonant wrote:Qotile Ultimatum is basically built into MK II though, right?

Assuming it works like the A138m, I'm imagining one nice thing about doing the mixing in the Evin is that you get could mix in a negative offset?

p.s. Thanks for the earlier feedback dysonant.
Evin
It's one of those you understand once you have it in your hands. Yes, like the A-138m.
Imagine FOUR outputs with 4 independent mix knobs for each.

Qotile
Almost built into mk 2. What's missing is the brilliant LED bar graph calibrated to 1 LED/volt. A visual representation of the voltage each submix knob is sending to the ZC's mix output. Brilliant.
:bananaguitar:
Last edited by mt3 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Holy shit am I coming into my own with the ZC over the past few days! :party: I am working on a patch for a show and it is just so damn awesome and useful. So here is what I've got going with it.

Bottom row of ZC MIX is being used for a chord pad. I have that running into the Tyme Sefari. I am running one of the bottom ZC into TS D jack at audio rate. I've got the clock out from TS clocking the top row of ZC in RED mode (rise and fall edge). Two of the ZC top row gates are input into the Start and End of TS. The MIX out of the top row is going to Malgorithm Nyquist which has a melody coming from Piston Honda. I'm not going to go into the rest of my patch, just wanted to point out everything the ZC is doing. It is ridiculous!

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:07 am

I thought the Rise & fall Edge (ext clockin) of the Zorlon Cannon MKII was in Green mode!?!?

dysonant wrote:Holy shit am I coming into my own with the ZC over the past few days! :party: I am working on a patch for a show and it is just so damn awesome and useful. So here is what I've got going with it.

Bottom row of ZC MIX is being used for a chord pad. I have that running into the Tyme Sefari. I am running one of the bottom ZC into TS D jack at audio rate. I've got the clock out from TS clocking the top row of ZC in RED mode (rise and fall edge). Two of the ZC top row gates are input into the Start and End of TS. The MIX out of the top row is going to Malgorithm Nyquist which has a melody coming from Piston Honda. I'm not going to go into the rest of my patch, just wanted to point out everything the ZC is doing. It is ridiculous!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:17 am

robotopsy wrote:I thought the Rise & fall Edge (ext clockin) of the Zorlon Cannon MKII was in Green mode!?!?

dysonant wrote:Holy shit am I coming into my own with the ZC over the past few days! :party: I am working on a patch for a show and it is just so damn awesome and useful. So here is what I've got going with it.

I thought that too. The Kermit always throws me off because of the inversion from other IME modules.
:hmm:

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Yes, you are both right. My bad. Got things switched up in my head and sometimes not looking at a manual I forget. So I guess what I was clocking out of the top row was bit more random, which is fine.

Anyway, here is the result of the patch I was talking about. This is from the live performance last night. The pad sound at the beginning, and throughout is the ZC through the TS.

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/304963783" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Return to “The Harvestman”