Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 pm

dysonant wrote:Yes, you are both right. My bad. Got things switched up in my head and sometimes not looking at a manual I forget. So I guess what I was clocking out of the top row was bit more random, which is fine.

Anyway, here is the result of the patch I was talking about. This is from the live performance last night. The pad sound at the beginning, and throughout is the ZC through the TS.

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/304963783" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
That part at 1:40...
What be these?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:43 am

That part is

Piston Honda > Double Andore > Malgorithm > Three Sisters > StereoMix (modulation from DA, Kermit and ZC)

The PH Bank is set to 1 the Wave and Rom are being modulated slightly and slowly by Kermit with axis select on each and no morph discontinuity.

Double Andore Attack and Decay are up pretty high with Shape in the detent. X-Mod is up about 1/2 way AMing from the bass noise.

Malgorithm Nyquist is being modulated by MIX out of top Row of ZC set to Red. Bit Depth is being modulated by Kermit with a slow smoother chaotic wave, dunno like the 5th wave maybe, I forget. Wet/Dry is at 1 o'clock.

Using the Centre input on Three Sisters and the top of DA extra outs to modulate FM and Freq with envelopes meant for bass. I adjust these manually also during this part to vary timbre.

SereoMix bit of reverb delay and grains coming from clouds on the Aux send

Gotta say, that Three sisters is probably one of the coolest filters I've ever used. The way you can basically do multiband processing with it is just fantastic for keeping frequencies from bumping into each other. Also, I've never used Malgorithm this way before, letting a bunch of the dry signal through while more subtly modulating the Nyquist and Bit Depth add these great little distortions to the signal that do not obscure it. Also the bit crusher running into the Three Sister is causing weird vowely formants to happen.

I think it shows that I spent more time on these sounds, my percussion needs a lot of work. I'll be focussing a lot on that.

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:42 pm

yah the zorlon is a constant in every patch i make. it always find its way into it. a bit underrated i think, it's not one of those modules you hear namedropped every now and then, but it's perhaps one of my fave.

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:22 pm

anyone have problems with saving state on the zorlon? holding the encoder for 2+ seconds doesn't cause the range buttons to blink, and state isn't saved (confirmed by double tapping the encoder, which changes the settings to default).

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:52 pm

sgnhh wrote:anyone have problems with saving state on the zorlon? holding the encoder for 2+ seconds doesn't cause the range buttons to blink, and state isn't saved (confirmed by double tapping the encoder, which changes the settings to default).
Hmmmm, you're not the first to mention this.
See previous page of thread where Robotopsy posts at Jun 12, 2016. Do you have access to a pickit to reset the module?

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:59 am

It does work but quirky:leds dont blink and clocks are reset to orange but it saves other settings,on mine at least

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:05 pm

mt3 wrote:
sgnhh wrote:anyone have problems with saving state on the zorlon? holding the encoder for 2+ seconds doesn't cause the range buttons to blink, and state isn't saved (confirmed by double tapping the encoder, which changes the settings to default).
Hmmmm, you're not the first to mention this.
See previous page of thread where Robotopsy posts at Jun 12, 2016. Do you have access to a pickit to reset the module?
interestingly, I played with it a bit more-- it takes around 4-5 seconds to save.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 am

dysonant wrote:That part is

Piston Honda > Double Andore > Malgorithm > Three Sisters > StereoMix (modulation from DA, Kermit and ZC)

The PH Bank is set to 1 the Wave and Rom are being modulated slightly and slowly by Kermit with axis select on each and no morph discontinuity.

Double Andore Attack and Decay are up pretty high with Shape in the detent. X-Mod is up about 1/2 way AMing from the bass noise.

Malgorithm Nyquist is being modulated by MIX out of top Row of ZC set to Red. Bit Depth is being modulated by Kermit with a slow smoother chaotic wave, dunno like the 5th wave maybe, I forget. Wet/Dry is at 1 o'clock.

Using the Centre input on Three Sisters and the top of DA extra outs to modulate FM and Freq with envelopes meant for bass. I adjust these manually also during this part to vary timbre.

SereoMix bit of reverb delay and grains coming from clouds on the Aux send

Gotta say, that Three sisters is probably one of the coolest filters I've ever used. The way you can basically do multiband processing with it is just fantastic for keeping frequencies from bumping into each other. Also, I've never used Malgorithm this way before, letting a bunch of the dry signal through while more subtly modulating the Nyquist and Bit Depth add these great little distortions to the signal that do not obscure it. Also the bit crusher running into the Three Sister is causing weird vowely formants to happen.

I think it shows that I spent more time on these sounds, my percussion needs a lot of work. I'll be focussing a lot on that.
Thanks for the insights galore!
:goo:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:58 am

DP

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:28 am

Seeing as this thread is back up, not sure I posted this video on here before. Not great video quality (I filmed it with an old shitty mobile camera), but shows some basic functions of the Zorlon. :)

[video][/video]

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:29 am

Daisuk wrote:Seeing as this thread is back up, not sure I posted this video on here before. Not great video quality (I filmed it with an old shitty mobile camera), but shows some basic functions of the Zorlon. :)

[video][/video]
Love that video. It was basically what sold me on the ZC (ahem, the first time).

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 am

Ah, that's nice! I've sold mine since too. Don't really miss it, but it was a cool module. Robotopsy really has some excellent videos and tracks using it at the center of things. :)

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Oh my word - droning with this is so great. I've got to capture what I'm :zen: to right now some time. B to Bionic Lester ch.1, being FM'd by A, BP out to BL Ch.2, LP out to roll off some crispies into a looping tyme sefari. Tuning everything and wiggling the mix out shafts for a really nice evolving drone.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:17 pm

sackley wrote:Oh my word - droning with this is so great. I've got to capture what I'm :zen: to right now some time. B to Bionic Lester ch.1, being FM'd by A, BP out to BL Ch.2, LP out to roll off some crispies into a looping tyme sefari. Tuning everything and wiggling the mix out shafts for a really nice evolving drone.
Audio or it didn't happen.

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 pm

mt3 wrote:
sackley wrote:Oh my word - droning with this is so great. I've got to capture what I'm :zen: to right now some time. B to Bionic Lester ch.1, being FM'd by A, BP out to BL Ch.2, LP out to roll off some crispies into a looping tyme sefari. Tuning everything and wiggling the mix out shafts for a really nice evolving drone.
Audio or it didn't happen.
As requested. Liked the vibe yesterday evening more, but that's why we love this stuff, right?

https://soundcloud.com/orderofthetransl ... re/170411a

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did! :mrgreen:

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Not sure if I should thank mt3 for guilting you into posting or you for posting, but that does sound damn lovely.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:28 am

dysonant wrote:Not sure if I should thank mt3 for guilting you into posting or you for posting, but that does sound damn lovely.
sackley has a few other tracks requiring further arm twisting:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/309631299" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/315701282" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

These would fall under my definition of (and preference for) ambient and drone.

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:28 am

Haha, cheers! :party:

guestt

Post by guestt » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I resisted for ages... but a deal came up i couldn't refuse and ZCmk][ is on it's way to me :)

I'm hoping that pairing this with the ER-301 is going to be really good fun!!

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:41 pm

The ZC MKII is amazing as a sound source or a gate generator or both at the same time. and each section can be clocked and used independently :D :yay: :hail:

Baddcr wrote:I resisted for ages... but a deal came up i couldn't refuse and ZCmk][ is on it's way to me :)

guestt

Post by guestt » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:07 am

Indeed!! I have totally fallen in love - it is absolutely stunning!!

:nana:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Don't sleep on putting the Zorlon into Ext Clk mode where it's triggered by both rising and falling clock edges.
Vary the pulse width of the clock/gate signal to taste.
:harvestman:

guestt

Post by guestt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Nice cheers - I've had some full audio rate stuff out of it, but not tried the rise and fall edges setting yet!

I'm mid patch at the moment, working on something, but when I am done going to try this for sure :D

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:46 am

Baddcr wrote:I resisted for ages... but a deal came up i couldn't refuse and ZCmk][ is on it's way to me :)

How did that pairing go? What unique advantages of the Zorlon do you see, with an ER-301?

For some time I've been tempted to get a Zorlon, but I can't really justify it, since I don't have the space for it, and I suppose I can do something similar with monome's Teletype (minus the audio rate).

guestt

Post by guestt » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:56 am

It's awesome!!

Audio rate triggers on samples can yield extraordinary results - it largely depends on the sample of course - you're not going to get very far with triggering the beginning of a slow riser for example, but being able to smoothly destroy a perfectly respectable rhythm into noise and back again is all win!

Modulating the offset on a sample start point is just ridiculous!

Using the slow rates is just endless fun, combined with some regular triggers from elsewhere (simple mixing of triggers) is weird evolving offset beat heaven. I love it - it's a keeper for sure.

The ER-301 handles it all without even taking a breath :)

The only thing to remember about the ZC is that it is shift registers so there is no step 1 or reset, but I don't find this is a problem in the same way as say Tempi behaves with the timing phase issues because of the lack of a reset.

Here's an early experiment, I haven't recorded anything since this with the ZC:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixvjgg318c8ng ... I.mov?dl=0

Return to “The Harvestman”