Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:21 am

Baddcr wrote:It's awesome!!

Audio rate triggers on samples can yield extraordinary results - it largely depends on the sample of course - you're not going to get very far with triggering the beginning of a slow riser for example, but being able to smoothly destroy a perfectly respectable rhythm into noise and back again is all win!

Modulating the offset on a sample start point is just ridiculous!

Using the slow rates is just endless fun, combined with some regular triggers from elsewhere (simple mixing of triggers) is weird evolving offset beat heaven. I love it - it's a keeper for sure.

The ER-301 handles it all without even taking a breath :)

The only thing to remember about the ZC is that it is shift registers so there is no step 1 or reset, but I don't find this is a problem in the same way as say Tempi behaves with the timing phase issues because of the lack of a reset.

Here's an early experiment, I haven't recorded anything since this with the ZC:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixvjgg318c8ng ... I.mov?dl=0
Ah, I shouldn’t have asked. :doh: I was trying to keep the temptation at bay, thinking of ways to bypass the Zorlorn with what I already have, but you weren’t very helpful. Thanks! :guinness:

"to smoothly destroy a perfectly respectable rhythm into noise and back again"... :deadbanana:

Great to know the ER-301 wouldn't have any issues with it.

guestt

Post by guestt » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:30 am

Hehe - sorry! but you *did* ask :D

I feel like I've barely scratched the surface with mine, loads of fun exploration to do yet!!

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:05 am

Does the module create loops or continous randomization? I need some vanilla 16 steps looping in all the noise and randomization and what not.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 am

what gives? wrote:Does the module create loops or continous randomization? I need some vanilla 16 steps looping in all the noise and randomization and what not.
Pseudostyle. So yes.

Villarceau
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Villarceau » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:59 pm

How many - uhm - "presets" can be saved with the ZCII?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Villarceau wrote:How many - uhm - "presets" can be saved with the ZCII?
It doesn't really have presets. You can save one state besides the current one. So basically, if you have something you like you can save it, then mess around with it, the return to the saved state.

Villarceau
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Villarceau » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:32 am

dysonant wrote:
Villarceau wrote:How many - uhm - "presets" can be saved with the ZCII?
It doesn't really have presets. You can save one state besides the current one. So basically, if you have something you like you can save it, then mess around with it, the return to the saved state.
Thanks. The manual says something about saving but not much.

thetaflux
Common Wiggler

Post by thetaflux » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:47 am

Hi all. I'm learning about the older harvestman modules due to the buzz about the new mk3 versions, making for a perfect opportunity to pick up some used Mk2s for a good price. the zorlon cannon seems kinda ridiculously awesome. Am I correct in thinking that the bottom 4 outputs in the low frequency mode can be used as stepped random voltage sources? or turing machine/noisering style random sequences? most of the demos and discussion around are about it in audio mode for noise so it's hard to get an idea of what it's capable of.

thanx :)

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:37 pm

thetaflux wrote:Am I correct in thinking that the bottom 4 outputs in the low frequency mode can be used as stepped random voltage sources? or turing machine/noisering style random sequences? most of the demos and discussion around are about it in audio mode for noise so it's hard to get an idea of what it's capable of.
Even better.
:harvestman:

The top half is unipolar, the bottom half is bipolar. Both top and bottom operate:
* LFO mode
* audio rate
* stepped via external clock input/trigger/gate!

thetaflux
Common Wiggler

Post by thetaflux » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:39 pm

:harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman: indeed. Between this and the fact that the Piston Honda Mk2 can be an oscillator and process signals through its wavetables at the same time... I might have a new favorite manufacturer. The idea of running the DPO's mod osc in lfo mode through the honda and then back into the mod bus... :deadbanana:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 am

I left out the details regarding Ext. Clk In mode.
It further has 3 modes:
* step on positive clock edge
* step on negative clock edge
* step on both positive and negative clock edges

Yearn and lust for such a feature in other modules.

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:49 am

:hail:
:hail: :twisted:
:hail: :harvestman:
:hail:

I've been utilitzing the ZCII a lot lately. Pairs very welll with a wogglebug, erbe-verb. My WB has a ridiculously unstable clock, which is just awesome for driving the ZC.

Having the clock options mt3 mentioned are great. I have 1 output in section A set to 2 bit (on-off, as a simple /2 clock) which I can drive the lower section with if I want steady modulation.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:58 am

ZC is a pretty awesome sound source too. In this vid, the hi-hats are all ZC. Bottom is audio top is modulating some envelope timing.

[video][/video]

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:22 pm

sackley wrote:I have 1 output in section A set to 2 bit (on-off, as a simple /2 clock) which I can drive the lower section with if I want steady modulation.
Yes, assigning an output to 2-bit mode is an excellent party trick.
:party:

Another party trick: in "dual edge detection" mode vary the duty cycle/pulse width of your clock. Use the 2-bit output as a sanity check/to hear the impact of varying the duty cycle.
:harvestman:

thetaflux
Common Wiggler

Post by thetaflux » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:33 pm

dysonant wrote:ZC is a pretty awesome sound source too. In this vid, the hi-hats are all ZC. Bottom is audio top is modulating some envelope timing.

[video][/video]
now those are some nice hats. what are you running the outputs of the ZC into?

I'm a techno producer myself and I feel like hi hats are the most powerful percussion sound outside of the kick. so many varieties and uses, layering them on top of each-other with different sequence lengths and swing is great for adding groove to a track. So a module that lets me make 4-8 different tones of noise to make into hi hats is a frickin' dream come true!

if anyone wants to get rid of their ZC Mk2 when the mk3 comes out(although i doubt anyone will want to :hihi:)... :harvestman:
Last edited by thetaflux on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks. I'm not doing much to them from a post processing standpoint. Just hi pass filter through the Topobrillo Multifilter. Most of the magic comes from using the mix out on the ZC and setting the bits/taps of the 4 outputs to inharmonic relationships. I do have a separate unrelated sequence changing their pitch. Also, I am modulating the rise and fall of the envelope with the top half of the ZC to mess with attack and decay times.

I was pretty damn happy with what ZC was putting out for hats. Sounded better to me than a lot of other drum modules out there.

I am very curious to see the MKIII, because frankly I am not really sure other than expanded memory for presets, how it could be improved that much.

fontaine futuristics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fontaine futuristics » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Just recently picked up a ZCmkii (and love it!), but I'm not sure if it's working as intended?

The first two channels on the top section output the same exact signal (basically multiples of each other), even if their register settings are different. Changing either channel's register affects this common output, which actually sounds like an AND logic'd version of the two channels.

Even stranger, the led of each channel still flashes at the correct shift register rate! No other pairs of channels are linked in this way and it isn't affected by changing internal-external clock.

I've tried reinstalling the firmware, but that didn't change anything so I thought it's worth asking this fine community of ZC users if it's just a quirk?

guestt

Post by guestt » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 pm

I've never seen mine do that, I recommend contacting IME!

fontaine futuristics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fontaine futuristics » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks! I definitely thought it wasn't normal behavior, but I was surprised when reflashing the firmware didn't fix it.
I sent an email to IME a couple of weeks ago, but I thought I'd do some troubleshooting while waiting for a reply!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 pm

fontaine futuristics wrote:Thanks! I definitely thought it wasn't normal behavior, but I was surprised when reflashing the firmware didn't fix it.
I sent an email to IME a couple of weeks ago, but I thought I'd do some troubleshooting while waiting for a reply!
Replies may take a while. Sounds like needs fixing. Or look on the underside to see if the jacks are physically shorting?

fontaine futuristics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fontaine futuristics » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Heard back from IME - they confirmed it's a hardware issue. I can't see anything shorting on the PCB, but I'm sure it's something similar.

digits
Common Wiggler

Post by digits » Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 am

So a mk III is definitely in the works? I'll hold off purchase if this is the case...

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Mon May 21, 2018 4:54 pm

digits wrote:So a mk III is definitely in the works? I'll hold off purchase if this is the case...
where did you hear about the zc mk ]|[ ?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:20 am

digits wrote:So a mk III is definitely in the works? I'll hold off purchase if this is the case...
I don't believe there's a Zorlon mk III in the plans.

digits
Common Wiggler

Post by digits » Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 am

Then purchase the mkii I will! Merci, danke, thanks and all

Return to “The Harvestman”