SSL Steiner filter Demo

Discussion and support for Synthetic Sound Labs modules and devices.

Moderators: Kent, dslocum

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

SSL Steiner filter Demo

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 pm

This is a very improvised demo of the SSL Steiner filter. Maybe the most noticeable thing about this module is the way resonance reacts to input volume and modulation. It can be sweet and gentle, but also kind of wild and screaming. It seems that below some input levels the resonance tends to get down suddenly, thus making the module a little out of control sometimes. You hear first the HP, then BP, then LP. The second half of the clip is a 303-like sequence, perfect to show the agressive side of this filter. I have not compressed or edited the clip. So you can hear the actual differences in output level whith different cutoff and resonance settings. With factory setting (wich is not selfoscillation) the module is way more controllable, but I wanted to go for a walk on the wild side. I tweaked the internal trimmer to get selfoscillation. Watch your ears and speakers.

http://soundcloud.com/sweetfiltersweep/ ... ner-filter

My module had a problem with the sensibility of the cv and 1v/oct inputs. Way too low. Even sending more than 10 volts with an envelope and keyboard voltage it was impossible to open the filter properly. Doug was very helpful from the first moment and he offered to repair and pay all shipping costs, but as you can hear on the clip, we could find a workaround to fix the problem without returning the unit.

I will be looking for Doug's new modules for sure. :nana:

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Awesome demo. Thanks for posting this!
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:09 pm

SSL should release this bad-boy in Euro format :tu: :party:

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Didn't Arturia just come out with a version of this filter, built into their new keyboard? Could make for yet more "schoolgirl tantrum" tracks being produced... :roll:
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

Return to “Synthetic Sound Labs”