Our first euro modules in the works!! "Stynk Eye"

Etched Metal, Circuit-Bending & Designs of Luigi LaValle

Moderator: Kent

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed May 04, 2011 11:13 am

Yeah this thing is going to be a friggin blast! Over the weekend I'm going to design a panel for it. I made a new logo for the line of modules last night, just need to decide on layout and a name for the banshee. :)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed May 04, 2011 3:37 pm

I've officially named the module. "STINK EYE" :banana:
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed May 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Sorry, had to!

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed May 04, 2011 4:23 pm

haha! I might spell it weird like "STYNK EYE"
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Sun May 08, 2011 9:37 pm

So this is what I came up with today.... starting to look pretty cool. The 3 white circles on top around the gears are going to be white led's behind a panel mount lens. Also, found these knobs I like alot but... .76" in diameter. Little honky... but we'll see. Just trying to find a certain type of knob to really set this panel off. Anywhoo... this is what I've got as of today. :)

- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

Fnord
Discordian Wiggler

Post by Fnord » Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 pm

That looks great.
bsmith: it would be awesome to see people with lots of euro give them pokemon values and do battle

Muffwiggler: I've seen communities ruined over politics. I've seen friendships end over racism. I've never seen these things happen as a result of breasts.

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed May 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Now... trying to think of a new finish but I'd want it to be the same coloring/style on the entire lineup. Thinking about building custom 4U panels to sell as well (fully built) but I think by then I could offer like 10 different finishes when you ordered.

So for this, I found these really badass knobs that are gray, green aluminum insert!!! only thing... 7$ a piece. Which i don't mind.... I honestly would rather charge more for the product and have it be not just a synth module, but a handmade piece of art. Feel me?

Who knows... might not sell any, but there will eventually be a mad max'd skiff full of gnarly GNARLY epinasty modules at my house. :twisted:
In the "etching" thread, I just put up photos of 2 new finishes I worked out last night. Might have to order some pee green dye to play with. Big thing is writing notes down and formulas so I can make 10 panels about the same finish.

Okay, need to keep playing with the panel art, peace
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 pm

tragedybysyntax wrote: so, in my resistance to 1/8" mini jacks but at the same time realizing everyone in euro is all about those damn things... we're going to use 1/8" for the audio in/out and then bananas for the cv/frequency in. Also... I'm laying out a little 4hp banana>mini jack panel to sit next to the LDR monster.
Looking and sounding good!

Few questions if Im not being silly please...

I know you prefer bananas - will it be CV bananas only and an expander for jack to nana :?: IMHO silly use of HP, no offense intended just seems like an unnecessary step IMHO if this is the way its to be... have to seriously consider it as HP is getting tight... Unless there is more than aesthetics to it?

Any more demos please?

Projected price point/timeframe - ballpark is cool!

:tu:

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed May 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Well, it's kind of an attempt at getting the euro people interested in banana jacks, and other modules like modcan/cyndustries/crazy DIY. Also
to get people building a crazy multi format monster.

But to answer your question, banana on cv and freq in and minijack for audio in/out. Buchla approach kind of... again tho, my personal ones will have nanners only, haha.
The banana to mini panel will only be 4hp, no biggie.... with all the cases available, nothing like it used to be.... and people are spending THOUSANDS on modules, just pick up one of our skiffs ;)

As far as timeframe/price... hoping by end of June to have a proto up and running with some vids to show it off. As far as price... no idea yet honestly.
I need to talk to a few people and see what they think as far as selling them directly or trying to get analoghaven to bite. it's all in the air...Once ive got the board finalized and have a place making them up, I'll put a thing in the euro forum and see what happens with a demand. I still need to source parts, but soon I should be able to figure it out. :)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the reply!

Put me down for one certainly!

I have nothing else banana so it will be nice to at least see how they work :)

sensensempompom
soapydove

Post by sensensempompom » Tue May 24, 2011 11:08 am

sounds very kool
i am very interested to see how this develops and quite possibly ready to invest
lots of good energy around tragedybysyntax's undertakings
makes it hard not to want to take part

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Tue May 24, 2011 11:20 am

Great stuff, love your designs, best of luck with it.

You doing multi format or just Euro? Maybe Fraccers would be into this too, great choice on Nanas :nana:

cleaninglady
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cleaninglady » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 am

cleaninglady like

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks alot guys! Frac? I think I should! MIGHT, do 5U as well. I think the frac... no mini jack. Banana Frac is what got me excited about building Otis to be the 3 banana frac + 1 4U monster that he is.

Plan now is, finishing design and deciding on parts tonight. Patina is ordered... Came back to aluminum since I've figured out how to make it look neat, And it helps keep the price down a hair on the modules in the end.
For colors... thinking all of my modules to be a mix of pea green, rust, black fill on graphics/text, then blowtorched.

I should be picking up metal for the prototypes Monday or Tuesday, then patinas will be here about the same time. Need to spend some time getting the finish consistent on a few scraps, I've got this gnarly...mossey...evil look in my head, just need to get as close to that as i can!!

Tomorrow, I'll be giving Thomas the final layout so he can get a few boards made up. Should be able to have all the components by next week or so. All is looking on schedule tho to having 2 prototypes up and screaming at the end of the month, just depends how long the pcb manufacture takes.

Format conversion panel design is done as well, upload that tonight.
AND... we are working on our next module, tentatively named "Sweaty Palms" REALLY excited about this fucker. You guys are going to love it... :twisted:
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 am

Here are the two designs, pretty close to being finished. I also think I've found the knobs i'm going to use... just need to decide 100%

- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 am

You guys like these for knobs? I have to buy atleast 100 of them... but what's cool is a)api style b)raw aluminum c)damn neat design. Did I mention, raw aluminum? SO... in the picture they have clearcoat...anodized....blahblah. If I order 100 I can get them unfinished which means, I'm going to try and give you guys patina'd knobs! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I've been looking for more of a military meets cold war knob but, trying to find one that's in my size margins (trying to the keep the panel normalish width) and places that have a big enough supply for a run of modules... been a bitch. I have a few others I like that I'm considering but.. basically it would be this knob with my "junkyard" finish, then matte clear coated. I dunno... going to have a shitload of time in these modules as it is, haha.

Just looking for feedback... thanks!
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Liking the knobs!

Kinda thinking about the format conversion panel tho - no offense intended just sayin is all. If I get this I also have to buy another module for it to work in my set-up as it will be the only thing in that format. Just honestly letting ya know where my thinking is on this...

How easy for the end user is it to remove nannas?

Love the knobs and cold war aesthetic tho :tu:

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:47 pm

+1 on the mixed jacks being a turn off.

really should go one way of the other.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Stynk Eye

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:13 pm

oh no!
*edited this by accident* SHITTT!!
-James if you could repost what you said, that would be grand!-
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Wicked!

This is warming up!

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Think the only setback w/ the 1/8 to nanner is the lack of a ground jack for the nanner side of things.
Most euro cases don't have the magic ground jack on the supplies or power input jacks...

It was why I just went w/ an external box design instead of module based..

Food for thought. Some people prefer the jack conversion internal but others want the space in their racks. To each their own I guess.

Digging the color scheme! :sb: :sb:

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 pm

:woah: awesomely awesome - playable artwork it so cool!!! :tu:

cheers,
n7
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi Low-Gain!

If you could or feel like it - could I see the inside of that box? How the banana and jacks are connected together?

Of course, I understand if ya wanna keep it private or whatever!

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:45 pm

It is fairly easy to set-up your own converting panel or box externally but the issue I think for some people will be that to even use this module as it is I would have to have the converter panel/box and use 4 patch cables of 2 different types just to have voltage control. It is being made in Euro format so it sort of makes sense to follow the standard. Most people who would look at this device, given it is in Euro format, will be Euro users who all use 1/8th connectors. Why not make the panel 2hp bigger to accommodate both connector types? Now if Luigi is planning on developing his own entire synth system it is all his own choice but if the market that is being aimed at is Euro why not cater to them fully so you can maximize your customer base. The converter box/panel can always work in the opposite direction as well for those who want to use bananas.

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 pm

mckenic wrote:Hi Low-Gain!

If you could or feel like it - could I see the inside of that box? How the banana and jacks are connected together?

Of course, I understand if ya wanna keep it private or whatever!

It's really quite simple.. I dont sell a ton of these but offer them for those who dont feel like messing around with it. But the info for this type of stuff is never a secret in my opinion. :sb:

Wire from tip of 1/8th to the corresponding nanner jack. Then all the grounds on the 1/8" jacks are tied together and then to a dedicated ground nanner jack.

Return to “Epinasty”