Introducing ADDAC214 VC Rotator

New Interfaces for Analog Synthesizers.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, __ag

mantid
Common Wiggler

Post by mantid » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:20 pm

So...

The "fix" that ADDAC supplied STILL doesn't work - but - they emailed me one which does. I'm not sure if they are ready to release it (allegedly their webserver was hacked and this is a priority).

If you bought resistors to stack onto the existing ones, you may want to hold off. The "new" fix involves removing existing resistors and bridging a couple of the remaining pads.

This has been much more stressful than I bargained for, but I have learned a ton, and when I saw correct voltages rotating though the cycle as expected, I had that elation which comes only after a bit of an ordeal.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Hoping you get this sorted!!! I ordered an assembled/factory version which is supposed to resolve these issues so anyone concerned should probably go this route instead of DIY for now unfortunately. Glad ADDAC is working with customers to resolve.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm

mantid wrote:So...

The "fix" that ADDAC supplied STILL doesn't work - but - they emailed me one which does. I'm not sure if they are ready to release it (allegedly their webserver was hacked and this is a priority).

If you bought resistors to stack onto the existing ones, you may want to hold off. The "new" fix involves removing existing resistors and bridging a couple of the remaining pads.

This has been much more stressful than I bargained for, but I have learned a ton, and when I saw correct voltages rotating though the cycle as expected, I had that elation which comes only after a bit of an ordeal.
Wow :roll: :bang: Thanks for all your suffering and updates! :tu: I have the resistors they recommended in their first fix and my microscope arrived but I've been waiting on some new smaller soldering iron tips to arrive before I attempted the modification.

mantid
Common Wiggler

Post by mantid » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:01 am

Just wanted to follow up and say that my module is continuing to work fine and it is a lot of fun! I'd like to get back on track talking about applications.

How are those of you with working modules routing this?

One thing I did play with is tuning 4 oscillators to the same frequency but different waveforms, then using the square output of one of them to run the clock. This rapidly flicks through the waveforms at output, creating an almost-interesting effect. It shows that yes, this module can take it. It can clock at audio rates. On the other hand, this was conceptually interesting and did eke out a strange harmonic addition of sorts, but didn't sound wonderful. I'm now wondering about sequencing the clock rate itself with some very fast clock dividing action., creating different tones from the different rates of flickering. I may just need to tweak a bit to get something more fun. It did open the door to coming up with a tremolo possibility as less aggressive rates.

I also still want to play with the behaviors of feeding the module "blank" signals to emulate a 1:4 sequential switch. I realize this module is not intended to do so - but I think it can, negating the need to purchase one. Would be great if this has a switch or jumper to enable it, but I'll see what I can come up with.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed May 02, 2018 11:55 pm

mantid wrote:Just wanted to follow up and say that my module is continuing to work fine and it is a lot of fun! I'd like to get back on track talking about applications.
:tu: I FINALLY got around to doing the correction modification to mine and it seems to be working great! No actual patching yet but I did a quick test with a meter, (not my highest resolution one), and it was pretty much spot on, although it "may" be adding 0.001 volts or so to the output? :hmm: Probably not enough to affect anything adversely and my test was quick and not very scientific.

Inputs - Outputs
*0.002 - 0.001
1.503 - 1.504
3.005 - 3.006
4.503 - 4.505

*(no input at all - voltage measured with the meter connected to the patch cable but not plugged in anywhere)

mantid wrote:I also still want to play with the behaviors of feeding the module "blank" signals to emulate a 1:4 sequential switch. I realize this module is not intended to do so - but I think it can, negating the need to purchase one. Would be great if this has a switch or jumper to enable it, but I'll see what I can come up with.
I made a couple shorting plugs and they seemed to do the trick. (again just doing a DMM test) I didn't have any 3.5mm plugs in my parts bin so I sacrificed a short patch cable (that I didn't like ;-) and just stripped and twisted the center conductor and shield wires together, soldered and heat shrunk 'em for fun. :hihi:

mantid
Common Wiggler

Post by mantid » Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 am

Thanks for the follow up and nice idea with the shorting cables.

Continuing my experiments using Blinds to force 0v, I've noticed a hint of bleedthrough on channels which should be empty.

Let me know if you have this, too. I don't think it is a problem, practically speaking, but is something to be aware of if using this to route audio signals. In application, it is so mild that I haven't found it to interfere with the signals I am sending. I am possibly not musically-discerning enough to notice.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 am

I haven't modified mine, I'm considering sending it back to get fixed, but I plugged it in for triggers and wow! Flipping that Direction switch is so sweeeeeet! :party:

My current setup is playing four voices so being able to mess around with the gate/trigger patterns in such a predictable way is so nice. I love this module!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

pzoot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pzoot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:57 am

Just FYI for those in the US. Analogue Haven has the 214 in stock and ADDAC confirmed to me that they do not have the resistor issue described above.

acgenerator
Veteran Wiggler

Post by acgenerator » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:20 am

Troubleshooting my DIY kit build... I've build a few kits so my soldering skills are good for through-hole parts / fair for surface mount.

Here's what's failing:
ProblemA : Output 1 fails, gives a low signal of an indeterminate waveform
ProblemB : Clock input fails to rotate connections. Cannot test reset.

Test procedure:
- Powered up on a Joranalogue Test 3 in my isolated testing case. Draws 70mA on the +12 rail/ 20mA on the -12 rail. Published specs are 50mA on each rail. Unsure if this is an issue or just bad published specs. Can someone confirm these draws are proper?

- I put a different waveform into each input. Single output to a OTool+, manual and CV driven rotation.

Results:
- Manual rotation and CV rotation work as expected with the exception of OUT1 having a failed output altogether.
- LED's lit as expected.
- attenuation on CV In worked as expected.
- Normaling: when IN3 and IN4 are unused then receive signals from IN1 and IN2 but not vice versa. ADDAC site says "input 1 is normalled to input 3 and input 2 is normalled to input 4". I'm assuming this is a clerical error and that the normalling on my kit is how it's supposed to be. Can someone confirm?

Ongoing Troubleshooting:
I'll keep inspecting connections / shorts on my own. The main potentiometer was trimmed (per instructions) and the plastic screw placement under the jacks is correct so these can be ruled out as potential short-circuit points.

ProblemA: My first thought is shitty jack connection but I've double check my work. My second thought is shitty path back to the op amp. The signal I get isn't direct from any particular jack / more a general bleed of signals. Visually the op amps all look fine from the top view. Other guidance is welcome.

ProblemB:
It's not the signal levels going into the module. I tried multiple and the same signals work on the other inputs. What happens after the jack is inserted is difficult to tell. Trying to follow the traces between boards and an under the pre-soldered SMD chips is tough for me to troubleshoot. Anyone have ideas where to look? Even if someone that can provide clear photos of SMD chips would be helpful here so I can rule out a badly orientated build / mispicked chip.

acgenerator
Veteran Wiggler

Post by acgenerator » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:44 am

acgenerator wrote: ProblemA: My first thought is shitty jack connection but I've double check my work. My second thought is shitty path back to the op amp. The signal I get isn't direct from any particular jack / more a general bleed of signals. Visually the op amps all look fine from the top view. Other guidance is welcome.
So I figured out what signals I was getting on OUT1. For Position 1 - It was a very attenuated version of IN1 mixed with a negative rectified version of IN2. I've been able to clean up the board a bit (combo of flux/solder and reheating all connections and air canister) to get this so that is always just a clean IN2 signal no matter the rotation position.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:22 am

Have ypu tried asking in thr DIY section?

acgenerator
Veteran Wiggler

Post by acgenerator » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Have ypu tried asking in thr DIY section?
I started here as this was the most active thread with troubleshooting. I'll spend some time with it again this weekend and hopefully find the issue. Ordering a partially complete module is new to me... full kits I can verify connections on the way so come the end I know things are good already.

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:16 pm

Disregard

Brendanleespengler
Common Wiggler

Post by Brendanleespengler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:41 am

JohnLRice wrote:I got mine today! :party: Too tired to try it, need to sleep first . . . .

Is the black panel only available directly through ADDAC? Tough to find those in the US. Almost sprung for a black panel 207. But, I love my red one anyway, ha!
Brendan Lee Spengler / Electronic Sound Research: The Electric Cowboy, Sinner Frenz, MacMillan & Spengler, Viva L'American Death Ray Music, Teledildonics5000, etc.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Brendanleespengler wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:I got mine today! :party: Too tired to try it, need to sleep first . . . .

Is the black panel only available directly through ADDAC? Tough to find those in the US. Almost sprung for a black panel 207. But, I love my red one anyway, ha!
It was a custom direct order at the time but I got the module when they first came out. I don't know if they are going to make black ones standard or not.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Whatever is not the standard you can request the opposite at additional cost and wait times. For me, I prefer black even though red is nice as well.

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:16 pm

just built this, works as expected, extremely useful module!
A few words on the build experience, documentation could use some proofreading and is not always very clear (e.g. how to make the larger hole for the plastic screw), and my kit had a few wrong-sized nuts and washers.

It's a very quick build as most SMD components come installed and you mainly have to add pots, jacks and hardware.
Having built about 15 through-hole kits before, this one definitely was more challenging - much tighter/less space than what I was used to
WTB: Plan B or SubCon Model 15 VCO, Intellijel Dixie v1, Doepfer A-129-5

otnemem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by otnemem » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:07 am

I'm really tempted to get one of these but would like to do some research first as i was originally considering a sequential switch. This seems to open up some more interesting possibilities though.

Does anyone know if there is a manual of the VC rotator out there? I can't seem to find anything even on ADDAC website.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:55 am

It's fairly straightforward. What is it that perplexes you?

otnemem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by otnemem » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Well, ok it does seem straightforward. And nothing too perplexing in terms of functionality. Having said that I’m no modular veteran and I like to research well before I commit. A manual seems a good place to start. Wished to also watch some demos, but I couldn’t find any for this module.

For example can I use this as a sort of sequential switch by patching in one input only and various outputs? And vice versa?

On the whole it looks like a very interesting module but one that i’d have to buy blindly - which I generally avoid.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:34 pm

otnemem wrote: can I use this as a sort of sequential switch by patching in one input only and various outputs? And vice versa?
yes, just keep in mind that this switch isn't bi-directional like some sequential switches. It has 4 inputs and 4 outputs so for instance:

plug one envelope output to a switch input and connect the 4 switch outputs to 4 VCA CV inputs

or

plug 4 different VCO outputs to the switch inputs and connect one switch output to a VCA audio input

etc

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Introducing ADDAC214 VC Rotator

Post by tenshun » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:49 am

here is a link to a short video of the vc rotator. switching around clock divisions. the vc rotator is then being clocked by the ladik random trigger/ gate module so the vc rotator randomly switches the divisions

Return to “ADDAC System”