ADDAC207 - New Firmware: Issues / Reports

New Interfaces for Analog Synthesizers.

Moderators: Kent, __ag

anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou » Tue May 30, 2017 2:05 pm

I don't know if I'm just stupid or something's wrong... I just got the ADDAC207, straight from ADDAC. E-mailed beforehand to ask if the units have the latest firmware (they did!) and if there still were a lot of known bugs (there wasn't!).

I just got it, plugged it in, started following the manual. Connect the oscillators, tune them, go to keyboard mode, play—all fine.

And then the punchline: I try putting some CV in the IN. Nothing happens. I try 9 different other CV sources. Nothing happens. I try different IN/OUT combos, using Gate IN and everything else I can think of but ADDAC207 does not care about incoming voltages.

Keyboard mode still works fine, the module seems fully functional with all menus working and so on but it simply does not quantize the input at all. I have no idea what to do. Anyone know of typical pitfalls or secret settings where this could happen? Anyone had a similar problem..?
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
WTB: Original Mutable Instruments Tides faceplate. Will pay handsomely. Send me a PM!

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Tue May 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Try putting a fast gate pattern into the right hand gate input and your CV into the left and gate input anosou. See if that way you can get it to quantise. Bear in mind that's a period of time after having a gate signal plugged in where it WILL NOT quantise anything as it's waiting on a gate still. I think this is 30-60 seconds off the top of my head.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Electric Spring 2020 - THIS SUNDAY FEB 23RD - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=226844

anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou » Tue May 30, 2017 2:42 pm

ben_hex wrote:Try putting a fast gate pattern into the right hand gate input and your CV into the left and gate input anosou. See if that way you can get it to quantise. Bear in mind that's a period of time after having a gate signal plugged in where it WILL NOT quantise anything as it's waiting on a gate still. I think this is 30-60 seconds off the top of my head.
Yeah, I read about the wait time. And also Andre responded to my e-mail (in record time I might add, very impressed!) so we're checking it out now. It seems like a freak occurence as everyone I know with ADDAC207 from the new batch are super happy with it. :)
WTB: Original Mutable Instruments Tides faceplate. Will pay handsomely. Send me a PM!

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Tue May 30, 2017 2:46 pm

ah ok, hopefully just an odd occurrence sorted soon. I really like my 207 and it's my main quantiser (only one I use really) for everything.

Modular Meets Electric Spring 2020 - THIS SUNDAY FEB 23RD - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=226844

anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou » Tue May 30, 2017 2:56 pm

ben_hex wrote:ah ok, hopefully just an odd occurrence sorted soon. I really like my 207 and it's my main quantiser (only one I use really) for everything.
Found it! One of the male connectors between boards had slipped out of the connection when mounting. A quick screwing off the board and re-aligning sorted it out.

Andre was enormously helpful, and fast. Gave me good step-by-step things to check and offered to send a new one right away if this didn't solve it. Great customer service!

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Tue May 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Nice! :)

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Re: ADDAC207 - New Firmware: Issues / Reports

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:33 pm

ADDAC System wrote:Dear all,
Hope everyone is well.

Following up the 207 threads we decided to create 2 threads for these matters!

This thread will be used to Report issues with the latest Firmware released.
In order to avoid already known issues, please read through the comments and make sure you have the latest firmware installed before posting any reports.

For any Firmware upgrades related issues: errors, problems, connections, etc.
Please check this thread instead:
viewtopic.php?p=1689582#1689582

With these 2 threads we can separate any issues that may arise from these processes.

RELATED LINKS (edited October 27th):

Here's the direct link for our Firmware Upgrade Guide:
http://addacsystem.com/firmwares/ADDAC2 ... eGuide.pdf

Here's the direct link to our latest Firmware .hex file for Windows users (vs: J6 ) - last update October 27th:
http://addacsystem.com/firmwares/ADDAC2 ... RE_HEX.zip

Here's the direct link to our Firmware Upgrade OSX App (vs: J6) - last update October 27th:
http://addacsystem.com/firmwares/ADDAC207_FIRMWARE.zip

all the very best
andre
Dead links... please update

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Anyone know where I can get a link for that firmware? there is only a link for the firmware upgrade guide not the firmware itself
:cry:

http://addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac207

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Hirsbro wrote:Image

Anyone know where I can get a link for that firmware? there is only a link for the firmware upgrade guide not the firmware itself

http://media.addacsystem.com/firmwares/ ... RE_OSX.zip

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 pm

double

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:48 pm

lohacker wrote:
Hirsbro wrote:Image

:chug:

I see it was missing the "media" paret

ADDAC System
Common Wiggler

Post by ADDAC System » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Updated the first post so that it has the "media" part. Thanks for pointing it out!
Questions? Assistance? Hit me up via PM or send us an email!

ADDAC System | [www.addacsystem.com]

h1d3m3
Common Wiggler

Post by h1d3m3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:22 am

So, after reading about all of the problems / resolutions / upgrading / complaining and complimenting on various threads, what is the general verdict on this module? I'm on the fence between an O&C and this and it seems to me that:

ADDAC207
+ More musical, immediate, less menus
+ Has become more stable (?)
+ Microtonal
- More expensive
- History of Gliches
- Need to buy updater hardware

O&C
+ Independent scales per output
+ Cheaper
+ Tons of other functions
- Menus (I do dislike menus)

Any other opinions or points worth noting? I'd like to be off the fence
:despair:

EDIT : Holy crap, great quantizer reference :

SlyFrank
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SlyFrank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:21 pm

h1d3m3 wrote:So, after reading about all of the problems / resolutions / upgrading / complaining and complimenting on various threads, what is the general verdict on this module? I'm on the fence between an O&C and this and it seems to me that:

ADDAC207
+ Microtonal
- More expensive
- History of Gliches

O&C
+ Cheaper

I own both and you've summed it up pretty well. They're both fantastic modules. Two things I'd like to add to your list:

1) the 207 does not glitch at all so long as gate ins are used. And to correct an earlier post by me saying that the transpose in on the 207 was very fiddly, I was doing that with no gate ins. Again, if you use gate ins, there is absolutely no issue with glitching.

2) You mention the 207 as being microtonal, and that is true - it has a few preset microtonal scales, including La Monte Young's scale. But if microtonality is important to you, the O&C is amazing. It comes with tons of preset microtonal scales, and since I'm really into microtonality I added about 20 more scales of my own to the code. You have to recompile the code if you add your own, but you can put in any scale you want, if it's not already in there.

Not advocating one over the other - they are different beasts, with different UIs and capabilities/functions.

anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:22 pm

h1d3m3 wrote:So, after reading about all of the problems / resolutions / upgrading / complaining and complimenting on various threads, what is the general verdict on this module? I'm on the fence between an O&C and this and it seems to me that:

ADDAC207
+ Microtonal
- More expensive
- History of Gliches

O&C
+ Cheaper

:despair:

EDIT : Holy crap, great quantizer reference :
If you buy direct from ADDAC (which I recommend highly!) you can simply ask them to make sure the latest firmware is installed.

I find O&C incredibly annoying to use and ended up selling mine. If you always have one setting (one scale, one type of quantizing) then I guess you can set and forget but the menu diving is not very nice. One upside is the trigger delay on the O&C which can help make up for latency from digital modules sending triggers.

I find the keyboard buttons invaluable on the 207, makes quickly altering a scale live a breeze. I've not experienced any major glitches and what I posted previously in this thread was due to a miss in assembling that was easily fixed and compensated for.

The only thing I've noticed recently is that sometimes ADDAC207 is a bit trigger happy with the note changes and the gate in doesn't always lock quantizing to only when there's a trigger. I haven't sat down to properly investigate when/why this happens and it mostly doesn't. I think it's a case of my gates not being recognized, maybe they're too weak or similar, but I'm pretty sure it's user error. :)

SlyFrank
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SlyFrank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 pm

anosou wrote:The only thing I've noticed recently is that sometimes ADDAC207 is a bit trigger happy with the note changes and the gate in doesn't always lock quantizing to only when there's a trigger. I haven't sat down to properly investigate when/why this happens and it mostly doesn't. I think it's a case of my gates not being recognized, maybe they're too weak or similar, but I'm pretty sure it's user error. :)
I experienced a bit of this a while back. I fixed it by making sure that my gates were long enough. If the gate is too short, it will fall to 0V before the note is over, and the glitching can kick in. Not sure if that's the issue you're experiencing, but I manually adjust my gate lengths to taste and all is good. :party:

anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:36 pm

SlyFrank wrote:
anosou wrote:The only thing I've noticed recently is that sometimes ADDAC207 is a bit trigger happy with the note changes and the gate in doesn't always lock quantizing to only when there's a trigger. I haven't sat down to properly investigate when/why this happens and it mostly doesn't. I think it's a case of my gates not being recognized, maybe they're too weak or similar, but I'm pretty sure it's user error. :)
I experienced a bit of this a while back. I fixed it by making sure that my gates were long enough. If the gate is too short, it will fall to 0V before the note is over, and the glitching can kick in. Not sure if that's the issue you're experiencing, but I manually adjust my gate lengths to taste and all is good. :party:
That's probably it! I mostly sent short triggers and didn't change ADDAC's internal gate length setting—neat feature by the way.

SlyFrank
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SlyFrank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:44 pm

anosou wrote:That's probably it! I mostly sent short triggers and didn't change ADDAC's internal gate length setting—neat feature by the way.
Ah yes, I forgot about that internal gate length setting, despite having read about it in the manual. Very useful! Although in my case, I'll probably continue to run my gate source(s) through my QCD + Exp, which allows instant fine-tuning of the gate lengths with a knob. But, yeah, that setting could be very useful too/instead of. Cheers :guinness:

h1d3m3
Common Wiggler

Post by h1d3m3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm probably going to pull the trigger...Was hoping someone who has been through this update process before can confirm these are the necessary tools to order:

Maybe one of these boards?

or

and then the cables:

But I'm not sure what this is (and if I even need it): 0.1uF Capacitor
The manual says "If you have no Capacitor you can still complete the update process.", so maybe I don't need it?

Thanks.

SlyFrank
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SlyFrank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Both of those look correct to me, but I can't say for sure. All I can say for certain is that this is what I ordered from Amazon and it works perfectly:

And same goes for the wires - these are the ones I ordered from Amazon, and they work perfectly:

As for the capacitor, I started the upgrades before the capacitor option was available, so I'm used to not using it. And I still prefer not to use it, but on paper it is easier to use it. Here's the deal - if you use the capacitor you don't have to _time_ when you start the upgrade process and when you turn on the 207 - the 207 has to be turned on about 1 second after you hit upgrade (or vice versa, can't remember off the top of my head, but it's outlined in the docs). Some people had issues with that, but I never did. And if you do, just try again. But it's up to you, either way will work.

In the end it's really easy. I never had a problem, and I'm no expert in these things. Also, the last update to the 207 was just last July. I kinda doubt there will be any more since it works just fine as it is now, so if there are updates in the future you can always wait if/until then to order the upgrade stuff. As mentioned, if you order direct from ADDAC, and ask for the latest July 2017 firmware, you're good-to-go.

Cheers :guinness:

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:12 am

You guys are aware that Addac is selling a kit now for the updates? That should be a safe option.

http://addacsystem.com/product/addac-ac ... /addac0016

You only need a USB Mini-B cable.

Otherwise, yes, order directly from them and tell them to make sure that the latest firmware is installed.

h1d3m3
Common Wiggler

Post by h1d3m3 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:59 am

flo wrote:You guys are aware that Addac is selling a kit now for the updates? That should be a safe option.

You only need a USB Mini-B cable.

Otherwise, yes, order directly from them and tell them to make sure that the latest firmware is installed.

Normally, yes that would be the best option...but...

Unfortunately, in my experience anyway, it takes around 3+ weeks to get anything to the US directly from ADDAC. I ordered my beloved 802 and it got held up somewhere at US customs for like 4 or 5 days. The amazon order will take 2 days for roughly the same price.

Also, considering an early rev module on BS/T so it likely has not been updated.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:48 pm

SlyFrank wrote:As mentioned, if you order direct from ADDAC, and ask for the latest July 2017 firmware, you're good-to-go.
As far as I know all 207s directly from ADDAC have the latest firmware. I would assume the same goes if you buy through a retailer, don't they update the modules they have? :hmm: I never thought of this before.

In any case, update process for the 207 is easy.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

ADDAC System
Common Wiggler

Post by ADDAC System » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

There's a new firmware out, please check it out!
New Firmware Update for ADDAC207, introducing new Transpose method!

We've just released a new Firmware for our ADDAC207 Intuitive Quantizer!

Inspired by the Mylar Melodies video we're introducing a new Transposition method, as up to now the Quantizer would only transpose the scale defined by the user, now it also transposes the incoming CV!

Download the Firmware Update Guide .pdf file from the module webpage, all instructions and download links in the .pdf:
http://www.addacsystem.com/product/adda ... s/addac207

L_2 updates log:
.New Transposition method:
- Now on the Assign Menu you can select Button 11 (A#) to assign the CV input to the old Scale Transposition mode (used to be Button 1).
- You can also select Button 1 (C) to assign the Transposition to the Channels input cv, offseting the incoming notes like a voltage adder would but keeping the notes in the same scale.
- You can also Select both Button 1 and 11 to Transpose both the Scale and the Incoming notes.
Questions? Assistance? Hit me up via PM or send us an email!

ADDAC System | [www.addacsystem.com]

snadge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snadge » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:42 am

I have one of these bought pre order in 2013, serial #18 and at the time struggled to get anything resembling what it should have been doing for months, was told to RTFM far too many times, so just shoved it in my spares drawer and forgot about it as a lost cause as I had far too much work obligations over the next few years.

Cue recently when building up a little skiff and came across it again, decided to try again and it is still ~wrong~.

If I buy this:

and download this:

Here's the direct link to our latest Firmware .hex file for Windows users (version K_4, July 5th)

and follow these instructions:

http://media.addacsystem.com/firmwares/ ... eGuide.pdf

It will sort it out?

Return to “ADDAC System”