Marble Physics - Tilt knobs

New Interfaces for Analog Synthesizers.

Moderators: Kent, __ag

groovar
Common Wiggler

Post by groovar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:10 pm

my x-lock is two-position and seems to work as it should

regarding the email from addac, i did hear back from Andre and he recognized it as strange. i have since done a couple tests he asked and written him back the "stuttering" is still present. I have not heard back in a few days but will update.

at this point i am emotionally preparing to send it back to portugal for repair and just deal with it being absent

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:51 am

propertyof wrote:About the X-lock, I notice the toggle switch in my X-Lock is different from the other switches. It has 3 positions (up, middle, down) while the rest are only 2 (up & down).....How does anyone's x-lock switch btw?
Mine only has 2 positions as well. And works just like the video demo. Swapping the switch out should be easy, I'm guessing the middle position is ignored in a 3 position switch? It really helps if you have an Tool or similar with X/Y display mode to visualize the marble and what the module controls are doing.

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:34 am

monads wrote:
propertyof wrote:About the X-lock, I notice the toggle switch in my X-Lock is different from the other switches. It has 3 positions (up, middle, down) while the rest are only 2 (up & down).....How does anyone's x-lock switch btw?
Mine only has 2 positions as well. And works just like the video demo. Swapping the switch out should be easy, I'm guessing the middle position is ignored in a 3 position switch? It really helps if you have an Tool or similar with X/Y display mode to visualize the marble and what the module controls are doing.
Yes, the middle position could be ignored at the end, but it’s really confused me in the begining when I received the module. Well, I suppose they hand assembled/manufactured it by hand? Seems another human error?
Something similar happened to me with my ADDAC222 a while ago when turns out that they put a mono jack into the supposed to be a stereo jack which is pretty fatal error.

Here’s the video about the toggle switch:

And here’s the pic of it from the back that shows the different switch type being used:

It’s not something fatal and still work though but I’m still waiting to hear from them about the tilt knob & jumping issues.

My bad luck with ADDAC modules :waah:

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Hmm...yeah that's really a bummer. Don't let that switch bother you though. More important is to figure out the jumping issues you're having. On the topic of quality...I have a few 701s and there's 2 extra positions (fully-clockwise) on the waveform selector switch that does nothing!! But they're all like that on all 701s. I had a new Stingy Filter (705) that the lowpass output was defective and had to be exchanged for another. Sometimes these QC issues pop up but ADDAC is good about sending parts for repair or sending to them for repair. Sending to ADDAC just takes longer unfortunately unless you're located in Portugal.

groovar
Common Wiggler

Post by groovar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 am

still no word back from andre since my only response...

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 am

I sent them another email last week with no replies, until after I pm via their instagram once I noticed their social media was active currently, and I finally got reply from Filipe with a smiley face:
Yes we did get it – we’re trying to replicate the behaviour here to give you a proper reply. Again, I’m sorry, we’ve been busy..

Thanks for your patience. We’ll be back to you soon and will solve it!
According this thread, seems it’s pretty typical with them:
viewtopic.php?t=122603

My guess it’s because Andre went into his hermit mode on his workbench at the moment since it seems they’re having a new module in the progress according their ig. The last time I got problem with my 222, the earlly emails are not too frequent with him & Filipe, but when he got time to assist me he replied my emails immediately and couple times in a single day to make sure everything is clear. Sometime he often asked someone to help him to help me out (shout out to ParanormalPatroler).

Sometimes it’s kinda irritating when we need the module to work properly asap because we need it for a project/show etc, but I’ll just keep in mind about that they’re a small operation with limited hands. Hopefully he’ll be back very soon with our emails.

groovar
Common Wiggler

Post by groovar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 am

good to know. so you still have your module? they are trying to replicate an issue you sent them with video? so that would make two of us, two videos, same problem described? that could be a good thing to help resolve...

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:54 am

Yes I still have mine. And that’s what they said about it. They got the documentations. Fingers crossed here.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:40 am

Do you guys have a video of the issue with the jumping? I've never noticed anything like that on mine. And yes, mine has the two position switch on lock X. I assume they used the "wrong" kind of switch but apart from irritation I don't think it should cause too much of an issue for you, right? It is working after all, no?

propertyof, thanks for the shout out. I frequent these threads because I'm friends with Andre and they're a really nice company I want to support. I even worked with them on the ADDAC 306 module! I enjoy their modules a lot even though some times there might be an issue here or there. It happens to all companies (got a few problematic modules from bigger companies as we speak). They are slow in replying but most of the times it's because they're actually looking into the issue - my experience indicates that there is no way to find a solution unless you can replicate the problem. In any case, they do deliver and try to be helpful but they are understaffed in that regard, you are right. Thank you for being patient, I completely sympathize as I've run across issues with modules in my years using Eurorack and I had to wait a lot. Don't get me started :hihi:

If you could post a video here, I'll try to replicate the jumping issue as well. I have the Marble Physics on one of my live cases but I haven't used it the past few weeks. I'll clean up the patch and see if I can replicate your issue. As groovar said, using an O'Tool to pinpoint the functionality helps you get some insight of what's going on. I did manage to follow all the steps on the demo video so there is a chance you'll have to ship back to Portugal if your unit is acting up.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:54 am

Paranormal Patroler
Thanks for your help again mate. The switch just confused me in the begining when I received the module, until after I realized how it’s supposed to work.
Here’s in google drive link are the videos that I sent them before, and yes I supervised the behaviour with an O’Tool+.
I was trying to imitate the demo video, but didn’t work exactly like that.
Maybe groovar could share his video too.

Please feel free to take a look:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... eUjlBQKROU

*edit* My issue beside the jumping:
The X & Y knob are have different behaviour than the demo. I tried to follow the demo. When I move the knobs to 12 o’clock positions, it produces +5V immediately and doesn’t make it steady/no motion like in the video (it would be steady in the end but the ball possition not in the middle of the O’tool matrix like in the video). I made sure that all positive/bipolar toggle switches are in the correct positions like the demo. Are the X/Y tilt knobs supposed to be bipolar (+5V cw & -5 ccw)?
Mine seems having too sensitive behaviour when it’s turned, and the speed knob seems similar?

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:54 am

The jumping is definitely odd with no CV inputs, no manual X/Y adjustments, and not hitting the 'bump'.

groovar
Common Wiggler

Post by groovar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:24 pm

UPDATE:

Andre has re-created the issue and worked through the night and will be updating the firmware. great news for marble addicts!

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:27 pm

groovar wrote:UPDATE:

Andre has re-created the issue and worked through the night and will be updating the firmware. great news for marble addicts!
That’s great news! Did he reply to your email?
So it’s firmware issue?

groovar
Common Wiggler

Post by groovar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 pm

yes just this morning, very nice email. firmware update imminent

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Good then. I was worried it’s a hardware issue.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm curious on the firmware update and if some CV input or other caused the module to crash/behave erratically requiring the firmware update???

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:49 pm

My Marble Physics tilt knob issue has been solved finally!

After uploading the firmware, the module seems works properly now. What a lovely module! Thanks Andre & ADDAC team for the help! :banana:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri May 17, 2019 3:25 am

I've had a great time with this module, performing at the Koma Elektronik Superbooth afterparty. This little beast is a blast to use and abuse.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Return to “ADDAC System”