DAY 1: 4 Voice Euclidean Rhythm Generator & MIDI I/O

New Interfaces for Analog Synthesizers.

Moderators: Kent, __ag

mbleming
Common Wiggler

ADDAC 402b

Post by mbleming » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi, I've been meaning to get back to this thread for a few days...over the weekend I had a bit of a breakthrough with this module...per Andre, I hooked up a midimonitor app to see what was going on...long story short, I was eventually able to get things working perfectly using Live as my master clock/transport. I have NO IDEA why this works and my OT does not. Midi monitor on the OT shows it working perfectly with Start/Stop commands and clock. When hooked up to the 402b I get a steady nonstop clock, but I was NEVER able to get it to respond to the OT transport. The steady nonstop clock is an insanely annoying issue with the OT itself, apparently the OT transmits midi clock nonstop, even when it is stopped. This kind of kills the usefulness of the module in my setup, even if the OT transport worked flawlessly. This is an OT thing and has nothing to do with the 402b. Luckily, I found an extremely odd workaround...I had an old Mutable Instruments midiPal collecting dust, so I tried to use this as my master clock/transport. The midipal is master, goes into the OT in slave mode, then OT out into the 402b and, oddly enough, this works perfectly. Again, I have no idea why, but it does. It's an extra bit of gear involved, but worth it to have the ability to get everything synced to one clock/transport. That's the best solution for my setup that I've been able to find as I have no interest in syncing up with a computer and Live.

fourhexagons
Wiggling with Experience

Re: ADDAC 402b

Post by fourhexagons » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Oh man, mbleming, that's great that it's at least working out!

As you continue to use the 402b, if you're able to answer any of the other questions I/we have about it, please do.

Specifically, must one enter into MIDI Bridge Mode to use anything more than clock? I'm assuming that one can be in Euclidean mode and sync to MIDI clock (correct me if I'm wrong), but can one be in Euclidean mode AND have MIDI control over the functions of said Euclidean mode?

mbleming
Common Wiggler

402b

Post by mbleming » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Bryan,

I'll try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge, but I've only been working with the very basics of syncing and clock thus far...as far as I can tell, you can sync all modes to external midi clock while also controlling various parameters via midi ccs. Within the module you can access Midi In and Midi out menus and assign cc messages there. I can give you a breakdown of all the menu options if you'd like to know what options are available. From what I can tell though, yes, you can control parameters in each mode via midi.

thanks!
Michael

fourhexagons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fourhexagons » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Oh hey Michael, thanks!
And yes, a breakdown would be awesome. No rush on it as there's not room in my case right now for the 402b, but I am exploring options, so your investigations are very much appreciated! :hail:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Has anyone noticed strange behavior from the 402?

Machine drum providing master clock to the 402 and then everything else slaved from there. I left everything on [but stopped] for some time whilst I went out.
Come back and pressed play on the MD nothing from the euroracks at all when previously it all worked. I switch off/on the euro and everything is back to working.

Again I leave it all for a little while, this time pressing play on the MD the euroracks (specifically the metropolis) is playing the right notes but in a weird staggered timing. I listen to the pulse from the master MD, fine. I listen to the dodgy out from the 402 and there it is, the slurred/drunken master (signal). I double check for swing which I know I didn't use on the MD, nada. I certainly haven't used it on the 402.

There have been other issues like the display going a little berserk (certain I have a recording of it).

Troubling stuff as it's starting to create that doubt in my mind about it. Switching a load of modules on and off isn't really a sloution. Any idea what its power consumption is?

Due to a lack of space, I may drop Pammy to get the expansion [402b] in and really see whats up because I don't remeber it responding to the machine drum transport controls either.

:ripbanana:
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

fourhexagons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fourhexagons » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Oh, by the way, mbleming – I ended up selling my 402, so no need to get that info except to help other 402 users :roll:

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:42 pm

When using the 402/402b combo, can anyone please tell me if the 402b sends 5 additional patterns via MIDI, and not just a copy of the 4 being sent via CV? If they are additional patterns, how do you control fill amounts etc. for them? Looks like it can't be done via CV, unless I'm missing something, so is it only done via a menu (or via MIDI CCs)? :hmm:

justintonation
Common Wiggler

Post by justintonation » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:Any other owners/potential buyers interested in putting this request forward?
I would love a sophisticated rotate feature. This unit is already awesome, this one feature would make it perfect.

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:18 pm

ModusOp wrote:When using the 402/402b combo, can anyone please tell me if the 402b sends 5 additional patterns via MIDI, and not just a copy of the 4 being sent via CV? If they are additional patterns, how do you control fill amounts etc. for them? Looks like it can't be done via CV, unless I'm missing something, so is it only done via a menu (or via MIDI CCs)? :hmm:
Finally got an email response to this question, and the patterns sent to the midi out are the same as the four sent to the trig/gate outs... in case anyone else was wondering. :tu:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon May 30, 2016 5:58 am

This is the email I've been sending to Andre regularly for the last few months:

I hope all is well with you and the rest of the team?

I want make a feature request that I and other owners of this module agree would make it so much more functional: it has a screen which shows everything that is happening however, it doesn't actually update to show where the skip is taking place.

------------------------------------------

* = Fill [trigger/gate],

º = silence

------------------------------------------

8 steps & 5 fills looks like this: [ * º * º * º * * ]

If I hit the skip button, instead of displaying: [ º * º * º * * * ]

Instead it still shows: [ * º * º * º * * ]

…then again it could be playing: [ * * º * º * º * ]

Is it possible to update the 402 so that the screen displays rotate aka skips/resets?

Because right now, none of the other users I've spoken to are not sure exactly what is going on. It would be a shame a waste of the excellent screen by not to be able to display this vital information.

There isn't a euclidean generator that comes close to this in term of how well thought out and laid out this is. This update would make it undisputed king.

Also can you provide some information on exactly how the expander works?

Regards

[/featrequest]
Last edited by Multi Grooves on Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon May 30, 2016 5:59 am

This was the reply I finally got a little while back:

Dear MG,

Thanks for your email and sorry for my delay!

Yesterday i was checking the firmware to see what i could do regarding your suggestion.
Mainly the module already does what you request the skip step does exactly what you suggest although you don’t have the same visual feedback, which i agree that it would be nice to have.
However when i checked the code i can see that it will take me quite a while to implement such function, i would need to re-code a lot of the euclidean code and at the moment my hands are full finishing code for other modules.

Nevertheless, i will keep your suggestions in mind and if i find some time in the near future i’ll try to implement it!

Regarding the expander, it works with full midi I/O implementation, meaning you can control every panel knob, switch and push button from midi (for ex. Sequence all parameters and or fully control the module from a computer) or the other way around all 402 panel controls knobs, switches and push buttons are sent to midi and can be used as a midi controller, or any other mix between these 2, it’s also a 5 voice cv to midi and 4 voice midi to gate. It also syncs to external midi clocks and syncs to start/stop/continue midi messages.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

all the very best
andre

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 am

I suggest anyone and everyone interested in the update send the same message to him requesting the feature set be added. He just needs to know the feeling in the community for it to be prioritised.

I told him I'd be back with the same request. I reckon a message every, say 3 - 4 weeks should do it.

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 pm

I wonder if anyone has the same issue as me. I've set up my nord drum to receive the note outs from the expander but the Nord only receives notes when the switches on the 402 are in gate mode. As soon as I switch it to trigger the Nord no longer receives the notes. I've gone through the configure menus but can't find anything relating to this.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:35 am

Sounds like the triggers are too short. Have you tried using gates and adjusting the lengths to your taste?

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:38 am

Multi Grooves wrote:Sounds like the triggers are too short. Have you tried using gates and adjusting the lengths to your taste?
I'm already using both the gate and trigger outs to trigger my modular and they're working fine in both modes. It's only when it transmits midi in trigger mode that the connected midi module doesn't work.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:38 am

sorted.
Last edited by Multi Grooves on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Are there any owners of this with the expander that sucessfully use it with midi?

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am

The USB updater finally arrived...but they've moved the actual hex file from their site....

Does anyone have a copy they can send my way?

ADDAC System
Common Wiggler

Post by ADDAC System » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:The USB updater finally arrived...but they've moved the actual hex file from their site....

Does anyone have a copy they can send my way?
The link for the firmware update can be found from inside the PDF where the procedure is detailed. For your convenience click here!
Questions? Assistance? Hit me up via PM or send us an email!

ADDAC System | [www.addacsystem.com]

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:Are there any owners of this with the expander that sucessfully use it with midi?
:despair:

Return to “ADDAC System”