Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa, daverj

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Re: Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Post by yrn1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 pm

I got myself the cheapest possible dongle that appears as a webcam to my mac. Quality is surprisingly good for something this cheap. No drivers required, Catalina compatible, just hit ‘record’ in quicktime, or get OBS for a little more flexibility. This is the one I got: but basically anything that says ‘UVC’, ‘no driver required’ should do the trick. UVC stands for Universal (or somtimes USB) Video Capture device. If you want to get a bit better quality, the blackmagic stuff will indeed give you that, but at a much higher price and not all that much better quality for the structure, in my opinion. Depends on what you use it for I guess...

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:31 pm

LDT wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:30 am
I am blown away by the possibilities of Structure, but I basicly don’t know a thing about video synthesis or video signals in general. I am considering getting Structure as an add-on to my modular (audio) system.
Reading some of the latest posts here, seem to suggest, that recording the output of Structure into a Mac, is something that would require a phd in hardcore nerding. Is that true?🤔
My frame of reference is a long life with audio, where it is always just a matter of pressing a record button. What would be the absolute easiest way of recording Structure, given I have a recent Macbook running Catalina. I will not mind buying some extra hardware, if that will make things easier.

Thanks!
i jumped in with VERY little knowledge of video.
to get signal into your Mac...
you will need any sort of video mixer if you plan to add any other video doodads.
the simplest way i started with is using a VR-3EX or something like a V-4EX and connecting to the Mac via USB.
you can get OBS software for free and BAM...you can record to disc or stream!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:03 am

yrn1 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 pm
I got myself the cheapest possible dongle that appears as a webcam to my mac. Quality is surprisingly good for something this cheap. No drivers required, Catalina compatible, just hit ‘record’ in quicktime, or get OBS for a little more flexibility. This is the one I got: but basically anything that says ‘UVC’, ‘no driver required’ should do the trick. UVC stands for Universal (or somtimes USB) Video Capture device. If you want to get a bit better quality, the blackmagic stuff will indeed give you that, but at a much higher price and not all that much better quality for the structure, in my opinion. Depends on what you use it for I guess...
Excellent :party:

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Am think about buying one of these and getting into video synthesis. One question - how deep is this? Am wondering if this will fit in an Intellijel Palette or 4ms Pod?
FS: HandSonic $800, Patchulator $125, 2hp Verb $100, ES Dual Drive $190, Motomouth Filter $175 and lots more

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:55 pm

batch wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 pm
Am think about buying one of these and getting into video synthesis. One question - how deep is this? Am wondering if this will fit in an Intellijel Palette or 4ms Pod?
I don't know the exact depth but mine is mounted in a 4ms Pod.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 pm

Cool. Is it an x-series or the the original ones?
FS: HandSonic $800, Patchulator $125, 2hp Verb $100, ES Dual Drive $190, Motomouth Filter $175 and lots more

Return to “Video Synthesis”