LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

Post Reply
User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Cadet VCO waveform tip:

For sawtooth (rising and falling type)
Bring out the SQR wave form to you panel.
Patch the TRI wave into a Fader (cadet C6)
Patch the SQR from the same VCO to the CV input of the fader
adjust the attenuator + offset

The output result is a sawtooth that can be inversed by adjusting the attenuator + offset

User avatar
dubtoms
Common Wiggler
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 4:34 am

Post by dubtoms » Wed May 03, 2017 8:08 am

Can somebody make demos with Cadet Modules only ? I'm think about including a Video section in my new rack... :mrgreen:
Also is Thonk the only option for PCB/Panel sets ?

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Wed May 03, 2017 12:14 pm

I bought them from LZX directly.

I'll try to capture some of my patches.
I have only the Cadet modules + some diy stuff.

User avatar
vonkhades
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:42 pm
Location: Madrid, Hispania

Post by vonkhades » Mon May 08, 2017 6:14 am

FetidEye wrote:I bought them from LZX directly.

I'll try to capture some of my patches.
I have only the Cadet modules + some diy stuff.
I can try capture something too.. ill upload some pics of my briefcase I think it went actually pretty cool too!

I'm puzzled on how to make work the Cadet Multiplier and Cadet Processor... I don't understand what they do, or HOW should I patch them... it seems that the work as some sort of attenuators/mixers on the signals but can't figure out what they do the the input signals...

can you describe or suggest any patches with them so I can further explore? I have patched them in a lot of ways but... Still puzzled.

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Mon May 08, 2017 6:49 am

I don't have the multiplier yet, but this is what Lars mailed me when I asked what it does:


Multiplier in 4 quadrant mode is similar to the C6,
except instead of crossfading between A and B signals
it crossfades between an inverted version of the input signal
and a positive version of an input signal.
Like a voltage-controlled attenuverter.
In 2 quadrant mode, it functions like a normal VCA (like using only the B input channel of C6.)


The processor is very useful for color mixing, adding a bit less or more and inverting signals.
You can patch it after your oscillator or mixer to finetune the signal.
It can also be used as a small mixer (2 channel)
Last edited by FetidEye on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vonkhades
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:42 pm
Location: Madrid, Hispania

Post by vonkhades » Mon May 08, 2017 7:57 am

FetidEye wrote:I don't have the multiplier yet, but this is what Lars mailed me when I asked what it does:


Multiplier in 4 quadrant mode is similar to the C6,
except instead of crossfading between A and B signals
it crossfades between an inverted version of the input signal
and a positive version of an input signal.
Like a voltage-controlled attenuverter.
In 2 quadrant mode, it functions like a normal VCA (like using only the B input channel of C6.)


The processor is very useful for color mixing, adding a bit less ore more and inverting signals.
You can patch it after your oscillator or mixer to finetune the signal.
It can also be used as a small mixer (2 channel)

Oh nice! I get a good idea now.. I'll have to experiment to see how I can use it in my patches THANKS!

User avatar
lcf
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:37 am
Location: France

Post by lcf » Sat May 13, 2017 2:48 pm

I'd like to make my own alu panels just buying the PCBs.
Does somebody know if panels dimensions with holes placements etc... are available somewhere please??
If I have to wire them I'll do it , I'd prefer to avoid it.

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Sat May 13, 2017 3:04 pm

you can download the template I've made:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/wp-conte ... 05/main.ai

and then scale the modules to actual eurorack size (some might already be the good size.)

Then you can make the panel design.

User avatar
lcf
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:37 am
Location: France

Post by lcf » Sat May 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Thank you! That's awesome!! :bacon:
It opens in Illustrator but a few files appear to be missing.

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Sat May 13, 2017 5:15 pm


User avatar
lcf
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:37 am
Location: France

Post by lcf » Sun May 14, 2017 5:50 am

Thanks this one works perfectly. :tu:

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Location: CA

Post by mafouka » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:34 am

Any builders willing to build my friend a Scaler? He just got a cortex and maths, needs that 1v action
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:54 am

sure

User avatar
joem
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: NYC

Post by joem » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:23 am

Hi all. Video synth newbie here (though I've got plenty of DIY eurorack experience) looking to give this a try. I just wanted to check somethings before I start with some of these Cadet modules...

As far as I can tell, if I were to make a Cadet I Sync Generator, a Cadet II RGB Encoder, and a Cadet IV Dual Ramp Generator (and get a sync cable), that'd be enough to create some basic video (just some static gradients) with the modules, right?

Also, do all the CV inputs only deal in 0-1V, or is that just the video signals that are in that range? If it is the CV inputs too, is it possible that the Cadet modules would be damaged by going outside the 0-1V range, or will the CVs just be clipped?

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:30 am

Your assumption is right. With a C1, C2 and C4 you can create still images of gradients.
This is a perfect way to check if the Sync & RGB encoder modules work as intended.

The cv inputs accept higher voltages , but those will be clipped.

User avatar
joem
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: NYC

Post by joem » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Awesome. Thanks. Time for me to jump into some video synthesis!

User avatar
sambell001
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 pm
Location: London

VCO Sync

Post by sambell001 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Hey Gang.

Just assembled a couple of Cadet VCO's.

Theoretically I can send the output directly into any R,G or B input on the VC and see a result, right?

Or do I neeeed to connect the sync cable?

Or have I just cocked up the soldering??

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 pm

you need to connect the sync cable to get stable colors bars.
but if you connect the output to the video encoder, you should see something.

if that does not work, check your soldering. orientation of parts, etc.
check if the IC's get power.
you can make a picture of the top and bottom of the PCB and post it here.
I've made about 8 Cadet VCO's, so I might be able to help :)

User avatar
sambell001
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 pm
Location: London

Post by sambell001 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 am

FetidEye wrote:you need to connect the sync cable to get stable colors bars.
but if you connect the output to the video encoder, you should see something.

if that does not work, check your soldering. orientation of parts, etc.
check if the IC's get power.
you can make a picture of the top and bottom of the PCB and post it here.
I've made about 8 Cadet VCO's, so I might be able to help :)
Hey thanks :)

I used Vertical B10k's from thonk as they'd ran out of Right angles. Maybe that's the glaring problem... I'm fairly certain all the components are in the right spots. Soldering is the best I've managed yet but still pretty ugly.

I am a noob to this. Will probably have to start over or do a bit of learning to figure out where exactly the culprit in the circuit is! :ripbanana:
Image
Image

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 pm

the DPDT switch looks like it is not soldered?
the vertical pots should work. you might wired the backwards though.
the Q2a /Q2b transistors have a short (the solder is touching)
the middle pin of the L7805 looks like a bad joint. reflow!
Are the unlabeled IC's TL072's?

I'll check the parts later, I have to screw my VCO from my rack


does the module give any signal?

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:04 pm

I have my PCb next to the computer.

All partst look like they are where they should be (resistors etc)

1st thing: c4 and c8 look like they have the wrong polarity.
(my MIN symbol on the capacitors is facing up (with your caps, the MIN is facing down)

This can cause the module to NOT work, so desolder and flip 'm!

I checked the schematic, the PLUS side of C4 is connected to the first Ferrite Bead (FB4) so this is your problem!

User avatar
sambell001
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 pm
Location: London

Post by sambell001 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:51 am

FetidEye wrote:I have my PCb next to the computer.

All partst look like they are where they should be (resistors etc)

1st thing: c4 and c8 look like they have the wrong polarity.
(my MIN symbol on the capacitors is facing up (with your caps, the MIN is facing down)

This can cause the module to NOT work, so desolder and flip 'm!

I checked the schematic, the PLUS side of C4 is connected to the first Ferrite Bead (FB4) so this is your problem!
Wow OK! You have filled me with hope! I will work through this and report back Sensei!
Thanks so much. Wish me luck! Hopefully next post will be some pics of some sweet sweet vertical lines :)

User avatar
prae
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Post by prae » Wed May 02, 2018 12:49 pm

what’s up, total video noob here...

interested in getting a few of these to slot in my euro...

is there anywhere i can read a run down of what each module does / how you would use it in a system? i’m finding it hard to make sense of some of these concepts.
:doepfer:

User avatar
FetidEye
demonic space drone
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Red Zone
Contact:

Post by FetidEye » Wed May 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Cadet Series:

C1: Sync generator - makes sync signal for your videosynth. (so that the signal stays on screen instead of scrolling all over the place. You can also use this to sync external "audio" oscillators.

C2: RGB encoder - handles the output coding , 3 color inputs (from Cadet system : Red Green Blue -> video composite output

C3: Video input - get external video in the synth. You need the C1 to get steady video. It has brightness and contrast knobs. converts the video to black and white "Luma" image.

C4: Dual ramp generator - very functional synced saw wave oscillator. The frequency is fixed at a gradient across the screen. You use this to modulate the VCO's, LFO's, Mixer crossfades, Comparator threshold etc. Get one!

C5: Scaler - Scales external inputs to video level. From -5v +5v to 0v +1v
Other scaler functions are available to let it scale to and from other voltages.

C6: Fader - Crossfades 2 video signals. You will need this to mix signals. Highly useful! It has cv control over the crossfader. You can also use this to get different waveshapes out of the VCO.

C7: Processor - Invert, mix, attenuate, color mixing and more. I have one on each color output. And some more.

C8: Hard key processor - Use this to get wild shapes! Modulate the cv input with video to get hard edged new shapes.

C9: VCO - Makes horizontal and vertical lines. Modulate with video to get circles, diamonds, squares etc. The heart of the video synthesis system!
You can use the sync switch to use it as a video rate LFO.

C10: Multiplier - Video VCA. Use this to modulate changes throughout your videosynth.


I've made some patch video's to learn to use these modules:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/uncatego ... ch-sheets/

Hopefully I'll get round to make some more!!

User avatar
prae
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Post by prae » Sat May 05, 2018 5:03 am

FetidEye wrote:Cadet Series:

C1: Sync generator - makes sync signal for your videosynth. (so that the signal stays on screen instead of scrolling all over the place. You can also use this to sync external "audio" oscillators.

C2: RGB encoder - handles the output coding , 3 color inputs (from Cadet system : Red Green Blue -> video composite output

C3: Video input - get external video in the synth. You need the C1 to get steady video. It has brightness and contrast knobs. converts the video to black and white "Luma" image.

C4: Dual ramp generator - very functional synced saw wave oscillator. The frequency is fixed at a gradient across the screen. You use this to modulate the VCO's, LFO's, Mixer crossfades, Comparator threshold etc. Get one!

C5: Scaler - Scales external inputs to video level. From -5v +5v to 0v +1v
Other scaler functions are available to let it scale to and from other voltages.

C6: Fader - Crossfades 2 video signals. You will need this to mix signals. Highly useful! It has cv control over the crossfader. You can also use this to get different waveshapes out of the VCO.

C7: Processor - Invert, mix, attenuate, color mixing and more. I have one on each color output. And some more.

C8: Hard key processor - Use this to get wild shapes! Modulate the cv input with video to get hard edged new shapes.

C9: VCO - Makes horizontal and vertical lines. Modulate with video to get circles, diamonds, squares etc. The heart of the video synthesis system!
You can use the sync switch to use it as a video rate LFO.

C10: Multiplier - Video VCA. Use this to modulate changes throughout your videosynth.


I've made some patch video's to learn to use these modules:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/uncatego ... ch-sheets/

Hopefully I'll get round to make some more!!
awesome, thank you - really helpful :)

so a basic starter system could be just one of each of the above? maybe apart from a ramp gen (i have a maths)
:doepfer:

Post Reply

Return to “Video Synthesis”