LZX DIY Build Thread

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

vonkhades
Common Wiggler

Post by vonkhades » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:34 am

I think is like this, but I may be wrong.

vonkhades
Common Wiggler

Post by vonkhades » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:36 am

ebbflo wrote:Do you have the genlock of the camera hooked up to the sync gen or encoder?
It looks like stuff I have hooked up with it not in sync
There is no sync input on the SynGenerator.. or do you mean that the RCA can be fed with either composite video or genlock signal?

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:39 am

vonkhades wrote:I think is like this, but I may be wrong.

this is the correct way.

see the Cadet sync generator manual for more info!

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:34 pm

I got some cool modding and patching tips:

Tip 1:
to get the same results as showed in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpOEtm9aX0M

solder the encoder jacks in this way:
-connect the red tip to the green switch
-connect the green tip to the blue switch

Now the colors are cascaded downward.
Use a Processor on each color channel output for more control.

You can also solder two switches between the cascade connectors, to be able to turn this option on and off. Maybe add some attenuators too!

Tip 2:
The Processor module can also be used to slow the frequency of a VCO.
Simply connect the output of the Processor to the CV input of the VCO.\
Now you can get a much slower rate!
You can still use the input of the processor to get more modulation done.

Tip 3:
Use multiples to get more functionality!
Add Ramps together to get cool new shapes. Combine modulations. etc.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:31 am

Any DIYers here able to build my friend a cadet v Scaler? PM me!
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:24 pm

mafouka wrote:Any DIYers here able to build my friend a cadet v Scaler? PM me!
I think they got it! :guinness: I built a couple extra if anyone is interested.

plugugly
Common Wiggler

Post by plugugly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Finally got around to building out my first two cadet modules pictured at the beginning of this thread. Hope to have a few more in the coming weeks.

Dofkev
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dofkev » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Those panels look great. I like how naturally distressed they are. They look very "tough" in the most sophisticated way possible. What is the process you use for the text?

Also....string tie....and snakeskin.....I though I was the only one who's DIY looked like aircraft surplus!
plugugly wrote:Finally got around to building out my first two cadet modules pictured at the beginning of this thread. Hope to have a few more in the coming weeks.

plugugly
Common Wiggler

Post by plugugly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Dofkev wrote:Those panels look great. I like how naturally distressed they are. They look very "tough" in the most sophisticated way possible. What is the process you use for the text?

Also....string tie....and snakeskin.....I though I was the only one who's DIY looked like aircraft surplus!
Guilty! I've may have been working in aviation a few to many years :) Labeling is the result of aluminum tape, a type writer, and some acrylic paint. Thank you for your compliments.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 am

don't forget the gnd connections !

Looks great!! BNC for patching.. that is a good idea.
Why did you use cinch connectors for video out?
(I used BNC for video out, for its sturdiness and use in most 'pro' mixers)

plugugly
Common Wiggler

Post by plugugly » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 am

Regarding grounds, all modules share a common 0v. Shields are common chassis. As for the RCA, they were mostly kept because I have no personal need to change these at the moment.

legs
Common Wiggler

Post by legs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm

plugugly wrote:
What test equipment do you have?

Do you see colors corresponding to the inputs you're using?

EDIT:
Regardless, DC measurements of my NTSC sync outputs are as follows - compare with yours.

H Sync Output: 0.08V
V Sync Output: 0.02V
Frame Rate Output: 0.5V
Hi plugugly,

I think I might also be having issue with my sync generator. My readings are:

H Sync Output: 0.007V
V Sync Output: 0.001V
Frame Rate Output: 0V

I'm getting a solid black screen. Also have noticed pin 23 is always high regardless if NTSC or PAL is selected. I have 1V coming from my processor into the red input on the encoder. Thanks.
WTB: A-166, WogglebugV2

jpeterman
Common Wiggler

Post by jpeterman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm

How much did it cost for parts? Is it significantly cheaper than normal LZX stuff

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 pm

jpeterman wrote:How much did it cost for parts? Is it significantly cheaper than normal LZX stuff
Which module are you asking about?

In general, parts don't usually cost too much, especially if you've bought in bulk instead of buying exactly how many you need for a particular module. Sometimes Mouser has resistors that cost $0.10/ea when you're buying less than 10, but if you get 20 or 50 or something they're $0.01 each, so if you need 8, it's cheaper to buy more! Another example is the LM6172... I think Mouser's cost $4.50 or $5 when you're getting small quantities, but if you buy them from a group buy (like one that just happened recently) you can usually get them for ~$3 (or less) even for small quantities. When it comes to the LZX DIY modules, the most expensive parts are: pcb, panel, LM6172's, pots, jacks, switches. A lot of DIYers buy those parts, among others, in bulk to get the costs down and to have less to order when they start a new module. I'm a guess, but I think the parts cost for most of the LZX stuff I've built (excluding PCBs/panels) is probably in the $15-$30 range.

Is it cheaper than normal LZX stuff? Yes and no... Most non-DIY LZX systems always have a Visual Cortex, since that's designed to be the base of the system, providing sync and inputs/outputs to interface with external things like monitors (so you can see your work!). The VC is $800, so yes, DIY is cheaper, in that sense.

...BUT in order to get the same functionality via DIY, you'd probably spend at least the same amount, if not a lot more. The DIY LZX modules are very basic building blocks, while the normal LZX modules are very well designed feature-dense devices that can do A LOT. So when comparing features, a normal LZX system would cost less (perhaps a lot less) than a DIY LZX system that can do all the same things.

(It really can't be stressed enough how well-designed the normal LZX modules are. Lots of useful features, good layouts... They're modules with depth. Most/all of them are kind of like the Make Noise Maths, in that regard. They might seem to have one or two obvious uses, but you can patch (even self patch) them up in all kinds of neat ways and do all kinds of things. I highly recommend checking out the "3 patches" series of videos on the LZX youtube channel for some examples of the depth of their normal modules.)

I'm a big fan of the DIY modules, but I usually recommend them only if you understand that they're simple building blocks and you need a lot of them in order to approach what you can do with normal LZX modules. Also, you better like DIY. (The LZX DIY modules are some of the easier DIY modules out there, though. They're not challenging, but they do take some time to build.)

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Just to add to that - a lot of us have both DIY and factory built LZX modules

Lars has said that there's no real cost savings either way when starting - at least to get a 'fully functional' video synth that can process video input, generate basic shapes and colours, and basic mixing and movement and output the results

do a search for cadet 21 system - it's the 'recommended' cadet system - if you add it up it's about 1000 € or $ - plus something like 40-60 hours of your time + if you don't already have eurorack space then you'll need some of that and power etc etc

a vidiot costs less and takes 10 mins to order, unpack and plug in - and if you 'only want to spend a grand or less ever on this' then this is the one to get - but it's even better expanded (by the looks of it, I don't have one)

a visual cortex costs about the same (a bit more), but still less than the cadet 21 system and is as easy to get up and running as the vidiot (if you have eurorack already)

but - all 3 can be augmented by whichever modules you like (even regular eurorack modules) and lzx castle or brownshoesonly or erogenous tones or bpmc LZX video synth standard compatible modules - so a bought solution + a few diy modules is a great

it's worthwhile mentioning that the expedition and orion series modules generally have functionality that is only available in those modules or is difficult to patch up from diy for anywhere near the same price)

and the cadet 21, is no the only possible entry solution

if you don't want to input video and you don't want colour, then you could reasonably start with 5 or 6 modules (synch gen, rgb encoder, ramp generator, and a fader, probably want at least a regular multiple too) and then expand with vcos etc etc

and then there's all the external stuff you may or may not need tvs, converters, projectors, mixers etc

I'd recommend watching a lot of videos on youtube and instagram and vimeo and think long and hard about what you want from a video synth before starting down any path - they are all good, but different - always a slightly different

it's all about which aesthetic you want to achieve as and how much you like soldering, really
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Agawell wrote:if you don't want to input video and you don't want colour, then you could reasonably start with 5 or 6 modules (synch gen, rgb encoder, ramp generator, and a fader, probably want at least a regular multiple too) and then expand with vcos etc etc
Just to clarify this, for any beginners, starting with fewer modules than the Cadet21 system doesn't mean you can't do color. The RGB encoder is, after all, an RGB encoder and you can feed signals into the channels separately to get color, of course. But with limited modules you won't have as much to play with and you won't be able to generate/process each color channel at the same time in the same way. (That's why the Cadet21 has triplicates of so many modules, for separate R, G, and B processing.) That's part of the reason why Lars and others have recommended something like the LZX Staircase as a good non-DIY module to add to a DIY system (or to any small system)... Not only does it multiply your ramps/oscillators in neat ways, but its different outputs can be fed into different color channels for some fun colorizations of simpler signals.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:52 am

+1
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

xaothewretched
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by xaothewretched » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:24 pm

plugugly wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 pm
Guilty! I've may have been working in aviation a few to many years :) Labeling is the result of aluminum tape, a type writer, and some acrylic paint. Thank you for your compliments.
Wow nice! I'm gonna have to get out my royal quiet deluxe.
www.awayfoundpress.com
------Your Ad Here------

Return to “Video Synthesis”