LZX Cyclops - EuroRack Laser Projector Interface Module

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Here's my take.

First, the cyclops is a great 'starter' into laser graphics, but after working it for a few months you will want to start to control your laser(s) with more finite control.

Second, so how to keep going, well it aint' cheap. I decided on a DB25 switch to switch between sources. Here I am switching between 2 FB3's and the LZX Cyclops. The FB3's are being controlled by software with a custom built in PC. The software Is Beyond Advanced.
All from Pangolin.

And now you can build a complete show where you can align video along with your laser and use your modular voltage sources as direct, real time
live interaction. AS WELL as process that output video live with LZX modules and so on...

Just the direction I went.

dandana
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandana » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:44 am

This question probably has a very simple answer but I'd rather ask the people with considerable more experience than me.
I'm interested in using a 1W laser as an oscilloscope. Is there any laser control software with audio input or should I go the Cyclops way? The demo in the first post looks pretty similar to what I have in mind but my output signal will be coming from a different source rather than a Doepfer module. Is there any other module that I am required to get for the Cyclops that would make this work?

melion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by melion » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:39 am

dandana wrote:Is there any laser control software with audio input or should I go the Cyclops way?
What do you mean by "audio input"?
The Cyclops is just a passive voltage controller. You need a DAC to feed it.
Whatever you feed the DAC with is another matter. A decent DAC will have audio inputs.
So the Cyclops is just kind of forwarding the CVs to the Laser according to the ILDA Standard, with some rather important filter features.
Talking about filters:
The laser has a veeery limited bandwith compared to an Osci. So to answer the question: No. You can not use the Laser like an Osci. But you might get comparable results with a lot of petting... :miley:

Return to “Video Synthesis”